Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

You people are the reason Gotham is still on the air.

Gotham is wildly inconsistent and suffers a lot from the first season where it seemed like they were trying to do a 'real world' Gotham. They seem to always write themselves into horrible corners and then realize they've screwed up and try to figure out ways to write themselves out.

Season 2 and 3, though, seems like they gradually started to embrace the camp supervillain world of the city and whenever they do the show is much better for it.

Just about every season builds up to a place where I think they've found their voice, then they ruin it for another 3-4 episodes with something stupid. But man, Barbara went from being bland and annoying to amazingly fun as Crazy Barbara, Tabitha and Butch are still fun, the kid playing Bruce has FINALLY sort of matured into the role and I now see him being a potential Batman in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Why did you keep watching after Gordon gave his "Someday there will be a Batman speech"?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Stopped watching Gotham after "balloon man".

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i've never watched any of these shows because they all suck m balls

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Hell Yeah posted:

but you like josh

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've always thought "I wish there was a way to enjoy the terrible writing, characters, and plots of big budget superhero movies, but without the big budget action or effects"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Do you want to know what Superman did when he was a teenager? What Batman did when he was child? What Wonder Woman did when she was a toddler? What Aquaman did when he was a fish egg?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A superhero-based muppet-babies style cartoon for actual children might be cool, for actual children.
A "serious" drama about superheros for "adults" is pathetic though.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lego Batman did a good job addressing that.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Gotham is wildly inconsistent and suffers a lot from the first season where it seemed like they were trying to do a 'real world' Gotham. They seem to always write themselves into horrible corners and then realize they've screwed up and try to figure out ways to write themselves out.

Season 2 and 3, though, seems like they gradually started to embrace the camp supervillain world of the city and whenever they do the show is much better for it.

Just about every season builds up to a place where I think they've found their voice, then they ruin it for another 3-4 episodes with something stupid. But man, Barbara went from being bland and annoying to amazingly fun as Crazy Barbara, Tabitha and Butch are still fun, the kid playing Bruce has FINALLY sort of matured into the role and I now see him being a potential Batman in the future.

It really is all over the place. When it's Jim and Harvey it's a buddy cop police procedural with G-Rated elements of The Shield. When it's Nigma it's the goofy B Plot from NCIS with a sprinkling of Dexter. When it's Bruce/Alfred/Selina it's waiting for the scene to be over because holy poo poo Bruce just start training to become Batman I don't care who killed your parents or why and nobody does. When it's Penguin/Fish/Butch/Character Actor Mob Boss it's a race to see who can chew the scenery the fastest and it's the best part of the show.

But it's a bad time when you can tell the writers are scrambling to get themselves out of a corner so I stopped watching after Barbara turned from an excuse for there to be drama to dollar store Harley Quinn and Fish survived being thrown off a building off-screen and became the crime-messiah.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Baronjutter posted:

A superhero-based muppet-babies style cartoon for actual children might be cool, for actual children.
A "serious" drama about superheros for "adults" is pathetic though.

Isn't that Teen Titans?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

We Know Catheters posted:

Isn't that Teen Titans?

My kids watch Teen titans Go! and it does a pretty good job of lampooning superhero garbage.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I don't like the concept of superheros outside of huge spectacle that I can take my easily offended family members to, or whimsical animation that I can watch in another window and not take seriously, and I LOATHE unimaginative "realistic" takes on them, but I'd watch an Adult Swim superhero show with bad effects, lots of blood, and bizarre humor. That would be pretty cool.

I kind of miss the DC animated universe from Timm and Dini. I'll admit that here. But people don't remember that it was comfortable in being a cartoon for kids and didn't have the same tone at all as all these "realistic" superheros.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Baronjutter posted:

I've always thought "I wish there was a way to enjoy the terrible writing, characters, and plots of big budget superhero movies, but without the big budget action or effects"

When I'm so bored that I'm settling on what's the least bad things on TV to watch...

I pick up a book, or learn something, or go outside.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hell Yeah posted:

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

revdrkevind posted:

When I'm so bored that I'm settling on what's the least bad things on TV to watch...

I pick up a book, or learn something, or go outside.

I dont even own a TV. :smug:

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

JB50 posted:

I dont even own a TV. :smug:

I haven't paid for cable or anything in... 13 years? So semi-seriously. I only even catch Netflix at someone else's house.

But watching alcoholics from Milwaukee on YouTube? That I can do.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Paladinus posted:

Do you want to know what Superman did when he was a teenager? What Batman did when he was child? What Wonder Woman did when she was a toddler? What Aquaman did when he was a fish egg?

I really don't

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

What's much more important is all the intricate ways that baby superman and fishegg aquaman interacted, because the only way to write a story in a universe like this is to constantly relate named characters to each other.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

FuturePastNow posted:

I really don't

Too bad.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

But people don't remember that it was comfortable in being a cartoon for kids and didn't have the same tone at all as all these "realistic" superheros.

I liked this scene better than anything in Daredevil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl91v2Mvv94

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

revdrkevind posted:

What's much more important is all the intricate ways that baby superman and fishegg aquaman interacted, because the only way to write a story in a universe like this is to constantly relate named characters to each other.

'Tis like a work of poetry
In that it rhymes
Each stance with stance another

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

New RLM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qmchZRyeDU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Just go back to movies, I don't want to watch Rich and Baldy be wrong about games for half an hour

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

"It's a Dark Souls ripoff. It's difficult. You have your health. You have your stamina. You have stats. You can measure your experience. You have enemies that respawn when you stop at checkpoints. You have to dodge enemy attacks. It's so blatantly ripping off Dark Souls, no other game is like this." -Jack

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

MrSlam posted:

"It's a Dark Souls ripoff. It's difficult. You have your health. You have your stamina. You have stats. You can measure your experience. You have enemies that respawn when you stop at checkpoints. You have to dodge enemy attacks. It's so blatantly ripping off Dark Souls, no other game is like this." -Jack

It is very clearly inspired by Dark Souls. It's okay.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I enjoy their game reviews.
Wait they're talking about a console game? lol gently caress off.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Paladinus posted:

It is very clearly inspired by Dark Souls. It's okay.

Yeah I know. He's not wrong, but the way it came out of his mouth was weird.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
JACK!?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Paladinus posted:

Superman was being Superboy, Batman was watching his parents get murdered, Wonder Woman threw horrible tantrums and Aquaman was less of a waste of space.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I liked how prerec calls out games like superhot for the pretentious bullshit that they are.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Isn't Aquaman like king of the marianas trench or some poo poo

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
you can get through the paralysis boss using the item that instantly removes it - a fair complaint would be that its the only time paralysis matters

also, you CAN just sort items by level and put on the highest defense/attack items and get through normal mode easy. i would only update my gear like once a level or less, unless i was having trouble with a boss

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

priznat posted:

I liked how prerec calls out games like superhot for the pretentious bullshit that they are.

You can shoot a bullet to block a bullet in that game. The framing is a little wonky, but the gameplay is fun as heck.

Man these video game opinions... man...

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

I mean it's the second or fourth time I've done this, it's a good lark.

And yeah they've been a bit slow with content lately, if I was to guess I'd say they're probably getting bored with everything and it feels like a job now. Maybe they're working on something fresh? Or just want to coast and do as little as possible which is totes understandable. Who knows! They seem the most engaged in the re:view stuff now, they've mostly drained the well for BotW, but they need to step up their current review game if they want to be the new S&E!

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Grondoth posted:

You can shoot a bullet to block a bullet in that game. The framing is a little wonky, but the gameplay is fun as heck.

pre-rec is the "unpopular videogame opinions" thread but as a youtube show.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Justin Credible posted:

And yeah they've been a bit slow with content lately, if I was to guess I'd say they're probably getting bored with everything and it feels like a job now.

They need to drop the Mr Plinkett framing show around HitB, Mike is sick of it.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

starkebn posted:

They need to drop the Mr Plinkett framing show around HitB, Mike is sick of it.

For guys who are so quick to pick up on stupid conventions and lame crap in movies, it's kind of funny that they haven't just done away with the crappy skits by now. Though I guess even MST3K couldn't dig themselves out of that hole because This Is the Format

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Grondoth posted:

Every opinion on this forum is Super Hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

counterfeitsaint posted:

Both season 1 and 2 of DD started out really strong, particularly s2 with the Punisher stuff, but then managed to poo poo itself in the second half with inept ninjas and their secret clan of hanging plot threads.

If the ninjas weren't bad enough they just started materializing out of thin air after awhile, then people would do some spin kicks for 3-5 minutes and flip around awhile until it got boring.

Daredevil rides completely on the 3-4 memorable fights everyone is thinking about when they talk about how amazing it is, or the fights in Season 1 in general for looking like actual fights.

It hasn't gotten quite as bad as Arrow where the season finale one year was 3 good guys standing in a circle spin kicking at a bad guy who is somehow holding all of them off by spin kicking back, while the camera is spinning around them.

• Locked thread