Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Dr.Radical posted:

Wooh man. Tom getting mad in the first 10 minutes of the show and taking it out on callers is some rough chuckles

Hell yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

If anyone is worried about the start of this one - stick it out to the end. It is worth it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

CaptainPsyko posted:

He's also just been having a really rough time anyway.

he mentions that he's also no longer working on HBO's Divorce, so that is also probably a factor

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
He recently deleted everything on his twitter besides Good-n-Poochy and changed his bio to "Unemployed/washed up."

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Tom hits me as a Marc Maron who just doesn't air his grievances (which is good imo. I can't stand WTF because of how Maron-centric the show is and how it devolves into splitting hairs over perceived sleights). A bit neurotic, overly analytical, and frequently thinks people have issues with him when it's probably a bit overblown. I know I'm assuming a lot but it seems Tom falls into these cycles.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I was dying during the Guns n Roses set list. Simply amazing. I was dying screaming "THE WHO!" while Wurster guessed around them.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 22, 2017

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
There's an uncomfortable correlation between really good episodes and Tom being arbitrarily hosed with by god.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The Maron connection is spot on. I wonder if Tom has a Lorne figure in his life.

I'd like to see him fix all of the burnt bridges:
Paul F. Tompkins
Ted Leo (maybe)
Aimee Mann (maybe)
H. Jon Benjamin
Gary Shandling (deceased, unlikely)
That one comic who made fun of his jacket at the Comedy Store over a decade ago

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Nick Dapaolo is comedian who made fun of Tom's jacket. I don't want that one to go away because it's hilarious.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Tatumje posted:

The Maron connection is spot on. I wonder if Tom has a Lorne figure in his life.

I'd like to see him fix all of the burnt bridges:
Paul F. Tompkins
Ted Leo (maybe)
Aimee Mann (maybe)
H. Jon Benjamin
Gary Shandling (deceased, unlikely)
That one comic who made fun of his jacket at the Comedy Store over a decade ago

I wonder if Hayes Davenport was a casualty in the whole Divorce debacle. It will be interesting to see if there are any more Tom appearances on Hollywood Handbook.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Dr.Radical posted:

Nick Dapaolo is comedian who made fun of Tom's jacket. I don't want that one to go away because it's hilarious.

He keeps bringing it up and is the epitome of Tom. Does anyone remember when it happened? 2003? The guy doesn't let anything go

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

What happened with Aimee Mann and Ted Leo?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

tumor looking batty posted:

What happened with Aimee Mann and Ted Leo?

I think this is just a case of people reading too much into the fact that neither has been on the show.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I was making an assumption for Ted Leo and Aimee Mann since they haven't been on the current iteration of the show. I don't think Tom has passive-aggressively referenced either of them, so there is a chance that scheduling just hasn't worked out yet.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Tatumje posted:

I was making an assumption for Ted Leo and Aimee Mann since they haven't been on the current iteration of the show. I don't think Tom has passive-aggressively referenced either of them, so there is a chance that scheduling just hasn't worked out yet.
This was what happened with Hodgman, it just took a long time for him to make it on the show, I probably wouldn't make any assumptions about Ted and Aimee

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Somebody tweeted Ted Leo's kickstarter link to Tom earlier and he was saying it's great and Ted is great so yeah I wouldn't think too much on that

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I'm glad he stopped doing the phone interviews. those were terrible.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

tumor looking batty posted:

I'm glad he stopped doing the phone interviews. those were terrible.

I remember when the show came back and he did those awful interviews every week thinking that the show had changed for the worse. But as soon as he stopped, the show got as good as it's ever been. Except for the dudes problem.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

There's an uncomfortable correlation between really good episodes and Tom being arbitrarily hosed with by god.

I agree, and this was a really good episode. I hope his actual financial situation is better than he makes it sound on the radio.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Seltzer posted:

Tom hits me as a Marc Maron who just doesn't air his grievances (which is good imo. I can't stand WTF because of how Maron-centric the show is and how it devolves into splitting hairs over perceived sleights). A bit neurotic, overly analytical, and frequently thinks people have issues with him when it's probably a bit overblown. I know I'm assuming a lot but it seems Tom falls into these cycles.

The podcast he did with Marc Maron for Howl is quite fun. They balance each other out more than one would think.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
The list of Tom beefs is good but I'm wondering why Horatio Sanz isn't ever on the show. Aren't they supposed to be pals?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Tatumje posted:

I agree, and this was a really good episode. I hope his actual financial situation is better than he makes it sound on the radio.

The Patreon is making north of $20k a month, so it can't be too dire. I'm sure a lot of that goes to servers/equipment/wings, but I don't think Tom's going to be homeless any time soon.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Tatumje posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that part of the frustration is that he burned some bridges on his way out from Divorce, so he's going to have a hard time getting another good writing gig.

Edit:
Also, just want to join with the general opinion that this was an excellent episode. Hearing Jon and Tom just riff as friends and not in character is a treat, and Tom's anger definitely gives the show hard-edged energy. I kinda think the episode wouldn't have worked half as well if Stinson didn't cancel while there were bullfrogs in the background; that seemed to frame the episode's weirdness.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 24, 2017

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

This was my favorite episode in the last two years or so.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Seltzer posted:

Tom airs his grievances, just listen to how he talks about Doughboys or how he mentioned Pete Holmes' show on the last episode (admittedly those aren't necessarily grievances per se, he definitely has a jealous/mean streak).

I don't think Tom and Hayes' relationship would be affected by him not writing on Divorce, but it probably will affect his relationship with Sharon Horgan.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

SoupyTwist posted:

I don't think Tom and Hayes' relationship would be affected by him not writing on Divorce, but it probably will affect his relationship with Sharon Horgan.

Looks like the Tom/Hayes relationship hasn't been affected much from this tweet:
https://twitter.com/scharpling/status/835599629534261249

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that part of the frustration is that he burned some bridges on his way out from Divorce, so he's going to have a hard time getting another good writing gig.
I feel like last fall there was something where like, he had offended someone at work or made some faux pas and apologized (maybe publicly) and this may have been the ultimate fallout from that? ISTR some tweet apologizing to Sharon Horgan or something

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Hollywood elitists just can't accept Joe Lunchpail.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

het posted:

I feel like last fall there was something where like, he had offended someone at work or made some faux pas and apologized (maybe publicly) and this may have been the ultimate fallout from that? ISTR some tweet apologizing to Sharon Horgan or something

I think you're thinking of Tom covering for and apologizing for Mike after Mike's "gently caress Islam" etc. twitter rampage.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

If anyone listens to Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast, Tom is this week's guest. He's an unusual choice because it's a podcast about old Hollywood and old TV and the guests usually fit that mold, but it's a fun listen. Gilbert gets a few jokes in about Tom's writing gig on Divorce, and they sing an Elton John song duet at the end. Prepare your ears for that, it's like listening to the world's worst karaoke when Gilbert sings.

Two of the topics included Billy Crystal and blackface on SNL, which would have been the perfect opportunity for Tom to interject with that awful Hurricane Katrina benefit that Billy did where he did everything wrong except put on blackface. Alas, he missed the boat.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I think you're thinking of Tom covering for and apologizing for Mike after Mike's "gently caress Islam" etc. twitter rampage.
Nah this was very definitely a totally separate incident and specifically pertaining to Divorce

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

get that OUT of my face posted:

If anyone listens to Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast, Tom is this week's guest. He's an unusual choice because it's a podcast about old Hollywood and old TV and the guests usually fit that mold, but it's a fun listen. Gilbert gets a few jokes in about Tom's writing gig on Divorce, and they sing an Elton John song duet at the end. Prepare your ears for that, it's like listening to the world's worst karaoke when Gilbert sings.

Two of the topics included Billy Crystal and blackface on SNL, which would have been the perfect opportunity for Tom to interject with that awful Hurricane Katrina benefit that Billy did where he did everything wrong except put on blackface. Alas, he missed the boat.

The crazy Billy Crystal blackface thing is he last did it in 2012.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ErqMoz8yo

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Tom talking about Billy Crystal doing Jazzman at Comic Relief is one of my top 3 favorite Best Show moments.

"mockinboids...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIJ53t7Pgag

Thom and the Heads fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 28, 2017

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I didn't listen live last night and haven't listened to it yet, but this episode looks tremendous. Andy Kindler in studio, a long Wurster call, and Gary the Squirrel are all featured in a nearly four hour extravaganza. I can't wait.

Edit: Everyone should check out Gilbert Gottfried's most recent podcast episode with Tom. It was recorded right after Tom was dismissed from the HBO show Divorce, and Gilbert is not afraid to bring it up.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 1, 2017

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Tatumje posted:

I didn't listen live last night and haven't listened to it yet, but this episode looks tremendous. Andy Kindler in studio, a long Wurster call, and Gary the Squirrel are all featured in a nearly four hour extravaganza. I can't wait.
There's an original Wurster song that is pretty beautiful. It's got a chorus and a horn section.

quote:

Edit: Everyone should check out Gilbert Gottfried's most recent podcast episode with Tom. It was recorded right after Tom was dismissed from the HBO show Divorce, and Gilbert is not afraid to bring it up.
I enjoyed this a bunch. I've always respected and appreciated Gottfried, and he's got a good, always moving interview style. I was surprised he didn't remember filming that Newbridge infomercial segment with Tom.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ManoliIsFat posted:

There's an original Wurster song that is pretty beautiful. It's got a chorus and a horn section.

where's this Jon Wurster guy get off, thinking he can be a musician!?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Alaois posted:

where's this Jon Wurster guy get off, thinking he can be a musician!?
I mean the dude BROUGHT IT. Wasn't just dicking around as a weekend project in pro tools, put a whole bunch of effort in.

(edit: I had to pause and come back, it's actually multiple songs. gg allin cover. amazing)

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 1, 2017

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ManoliIsFat posted:

I mean the dude BROUGHT IT. Wasn't just dicking around as a weekend project in pro tools, put a whole bunch of effort in.

(edit: I had to pause and come back, it's actually multiple songs. gg allin cover. amazing)

I was making a joke about how that AV Undercover where he sang Styx's Renegade as Philly Boy Roy and the majority of the comments section were flipping out about "this comedian" trying to be a musician

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjm3UmsQ-m4

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
First Patreon reward is up - an audio AMA with Tom & Jon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

ManoliIsFat posted:

I am sorry to inform you that ol Jonny W did not write "Love Gun" by KISS, "Bite It You Scum" by GG Allin, "Me So Horny" by 2 Live Crew, or "Girls Girls Girls" by Motley Crue.

However, that call was insanely loving goooooood