Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
TANIS is back! I really don't care if they never get to the point, or if they're going in circles or rehashing old plots or how goofy the premise is. I just love listening to it for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

New Leaf posted:

TANIS is back! I really don't care if they never get to the point, or if they're going in circles or rehashing old plots or how goofy the premise is. I just love listening to it for some reason.

Probably the music. PNW does good music that's the most charitable thing I can say about it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'm up to the "Admit" episode on The Box and the goddamn editing is making it really hard to take anything seriously. For phone conversations in past episodes, either the two people were actually talking or the editing was clever enough to make it seem like they were actually talking, but it's painfully obvious in this one that Addison is just talking over a recording. It's bad throughout, but particularly bad in the first one, with the skeptic guy. All I could think of while listening was that scene in Last Action Hero where Arnie's ex-wife calls and keeps droning on and he just says, "Uh huh. Uh huh. Yeah, yeah, yeah," over and over.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

New Leaf posted:

There is something very relaxing about it. I think it might be the music, along with Nick's voice.

I liked the first season a lot, but I realized listening to the new episode today that I had forgotten everything that happened in the second season.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

There is something very relaxing about it. I think it might be the music, along with Nick's voice.

I liked the first season a lot, but I realized listening to the new episode today that I had forgotten everything that happened in the second season.

It's ok. I bet they did as well.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Yea I had a hard enough time remember the names of everyone when I was binging through the first season and a half, after the break I barely recognize anyone besides Nick & MK without some other detail (guy who hires Nick, lady who has a fake name, his friend).

Hopefully that note about not explaining anything beyond Nick & MK's working relationship holds true because it has to be the least interesting thing on the show.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Thanks for the recommendation for Magnus Archive. It's really really good 21 episodes in.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Tanis, for all its faults, has atmosphere.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

DoctorWhat posted:

It serves no purpose, though. The story just keeps going around in circles, with occasional pit stops to beg for Patreon money.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

"You'll never believe how this unsolved weird mystery is tangentially related to Tanis"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

My bathroom has atmosphere too, but at least my shits have the decency to have an ending.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Paul Zuvella posted:

My bathroom has atmosphere too, but at least my shits have the decency to have an ending.

But(t) do they beg you for money?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Tweak posted:

"You'll never believe how this unsolved weird mystery is tangentially related to Tanis"

I think "Tanis did 9/11" is when the show jumped the shark for me, and the Voynich Manuscript was when I quit altogether.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

cool kids inc. posted:

Thanks for the recommendation for Magnus Archive. It's really really good 21 episodes in.

It seriously only gets better. Glad you're enjoying it.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
If you aren't listening to Missing Richard Simmons, you should.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Montalvo posted:

Is this fiction?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Is this fiction?

Doesn't sound like it. I'm enjoying it, though.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Montalvo posted:

I listened to the first episode, does it get more interesting than "celebrity gets sad and leaves limelight"?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Is this fiction?

It isn't, and I'm an idiot who forgot that this thread isn't just serialised podcasts, but rather serialised fictional podcasts. My bad!

It's still good though.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Montalvo posted:

It isn't, and I'm an idiot who forgot that this thread isn't just serialised podcasts, but rather serialised fictional podcasts. My bad!

It's still good though.

No problem, I'm enjoying it. For someone my age who grew up when Richard Simmons was a ubiquitous presence in the media, it's really strange to hear how he just ghosted the world.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

The new podcast from the Black Tapes/TANIS folks launched today. It's called "Rabbits", and it's very much in the same style as TBT/TANIS. Like, identical format. Almost the same music as TANIS. If you're a fan of that, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm enjoying it so far. If you're not a fan of TBT/TANIS, you're not going to like it. Steer clear.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 28, 2017

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I got the the first full episode of the new season of The Box and...I can't loving hear it. With the volume on both my phone and my car completely maxed out, I can just barely hear Addison talking; what's his face and the new lady might as well be Charlie Brown adults for all I can make out.

This is loving ridiculous.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Jurgan posted:

I think "Tanis did 9/11" is when the show jumped the shark for me, and the Voynich Manuscript was when I quit altogether.

There is no loving way there was a "tanis did 9/11" episode I refuse to believe it.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

There is no loving way there was a "tanis did 9/11" episode I refuse to believe it.

I'm being a little facetious, as they didn't say it outright, but there was a thread where Nic's investigation led to a man who killed himself a few days after 9/11 and was rumored to have been involved in the attack. I'd like to think they were mocking conspiracy theorists, but the show is so deadly serious about the investigation that I'm not sure what they were trying to say. It certainly seemed like they were hinting he was involved in both Tanis and 9/11. http://tanis.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_202

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 28, 2017

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think I'm done with Archive 81. I couldn't even make it to the end of the most recent episode; I just don't care anymore.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

Montalvo posted:

I think I'm done with Archive 81. I couldn't even make it to the end of the most recent episode; I just don't care anymore.
Me too, though I quit a couple episodes back. the first series was ok, but the new one doesn't hold up. Several actors aren't delivering to the script, SFX are way offputting, and there's not enough plot to keep me interested. I can tell what they're going for, which makes it worse because they're missing so hard.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Jurgan posted:

I'm being a little facetious, as they didn't say it outright, but there was a thread where Nic's investigation led to a man who killed himself a few days after 9/11 and was rumored to have been involved in the attack. I'd like to think they were mocking conspiracy theorists, but the show is so deadly serious about the investigation that I'm not sure what they were trying to say. It certainly seemed like they were hinting he was involved in both Tanis and 9/11. http://tanis.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_202

I think it was just them filling space by reading off conspiracy theories for awhile (Lyle Stevik in this case). It's weird to think of how much of Tanis was just "here's a weird unsolved mystery we found on reddit, maybe it was Tanis." I didn't get the sense that there was much mocking, if anything they seem to go out of their way to support the crazier ideas being real, at least within the show's canon.

I've been thinking about picking Tanis back up, but I dropped it toward the end of last season because I had pretty much lost the thread. I would need to do a re-listen and I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Surprised to read the summary for Rabbits. For the longest time i remember them saying that their new podcast would be a true crime style podcast about a fictional crime, and they accidentally leaked the name and website at one point, but it never came out.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
We're going to be brainstorming fundraising for Synesthesia Theatre's season 3, either a kickstarter or trying to drive people to our patreon, with a mid-season single-episode hour long show to pin it on. If you guys don't mind me asking, what would incentivize you to throw a few bucks towards supporting the shows you follow?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The only thing you need to know about Tanis season 2 is:

- Nic wanders around spooky forests
- The CEO is annoying
- Nic meets a guy who dies
- Nic is the Chosen One for reason we don't know

The whole thing is basically :lost:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I listened to all of Tanis season 1 and 2 and got 10 minutes into season 3 before I realized I had no idea what anyone was talking about and deleted the feed from my podcast app

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I think it was just them filling space by reading off conspiracy theories for awhile (Lyle Stevik in this case). It's weird to think of how much of Tanis was just "here's a weird unsolved mystery we found on reddit, maybe it was Tanis." I didn't get the sense that there was much mocking, if anything they seem to go out of their way to support the crazier ideas being real, at least within the show's canon.

I've been thinking about picking Tanis back up, but I dropped it toward the end of last season because I had pretty much lost the thread. I would need to do a re-listen and I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Surprised to read the summary for Rabbits. For the longest time i remember them saying that their new podcast would be a true crime style podcast about a fictional crime, and they accidentally leaked the name and website at one point, but it never came out.

Oh, I didn't realize Lyle Stevik was a real person. I thought it was something they'd made up. That kind of changes the whole thing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like the basic premise of Rabbits (some kind of ARG type game played for decades) more than the basic premise of Tanis (random conspiracy stuff) or TBT (paranormal). But the format is indeed exactly the same as those two. The music is even almost identical to Tanis. I'll give it a few episodes and see if it tilts decisively one way or the other.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Is Rabbits fictional?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Yep. All their stuff is.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Actually, TANIS did 9/11.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Chairman Capone posted:

I like the basic premise of Rabbits (some kind of ARG type game played for decades) more than the basic premise of Tanis (random conspiracy stuff) or TBT (paranormal). But the format is indeed exactly the same as those two. The music is even almost identical to Tanis. I'll give it a few episodes and see if it tilts decisively one way or the other.

Gave it a listen. I'm really on the fence. Premise sounds really interesting but the pacing, the pacing. I don't think they needed to spend the first 20 minutes explaining what ARGs are and listing notable examples.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I was able to get through the first episode of Rabbits on my first attempt so I already like it better than Tanis. I'm holding out in the hopes that only the first ep is raw exposition.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hey thread, I'm a newcomer here and looking for some podcast recommendations. I'm particularly interested in horror/supernatural/suspense/dread kind of stuff. I listened to Welcome to Night Vale way back when it started but gave up on it when it stopped being about the town and focusing more on Cecil. I didn't mind the sense of humor though. I also gave The Black Tapes a fair shake and gave up around episode 112-- it felt like it was going nowhere fast, some of the performances were cringeworthy, and I got so sick of the advertisements and nothing happening for an entire episode. Also why spend 80% of an episode talking about how spooky these cave paintings are? It's like having someone read out the dialog of a comic and expecting it to be entertaining.

I've had Tanis recommended to me but I doubt I could put up with another PNWS podcast unless the performances and dialog were a lot better than TBT. I know Magnus Archives gets recommended a lot, and I'm gonna start Limetown, but any other strong recommendations? I need more supernatural horror in my life, especially something with a bigger picture storyline, which seems like TBT's biggest issue to me.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

MockingQuantum posted:

Hey thread, I'm a newcomer here and looking for some podcast recommendations. I'm particularly interested in horror/supernatural/suspense/dread kind of stuff. I listened to Welcome to Night Vale way back when it started but gave up on it when it stopped being about the town and focusing more on Cecil. I didn't mind the sense of humor though. I also gave The Black Tapes a fair shake and gave up around episode 112-- it felt like it was going nowhere fast, some of the performances were cringeworthy, and I got so sick of the advertisements and nothing happening for an entire episode. Also why spend 80% of an episode talking about how spooky these cave paintings are? It's like having someone read out the dialog of a comic and expecting it to be entertaining.

I've had Tanis recommended to me but I doubt I could put up with another PNWS podcast unless the performances and dialog were a lot better than TBT. I know Magnus Archives gets recommended a lot, and I'm gonna start Limetown, but any other strong recommendations? I need more supernatural horror in my life, especially something with a bigger picture storyline, which seems like TBT's biggest issue to me.

Magnus is what you want. It's the best of the bunch by far so just start and end there.

Archive 81 is worth a listen to, at least Season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

I liked the two GE Theater podcasts, The Message and Life After. Plus each series is a self-contained story, so no dragging things along like the PNWS stuff.

• Locked thread