Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

LordZoric posted:

Great stuff! Glad they're compiling a list of PbtA products.

tremulus being on there really makes me wish we had a good Lovecraftian horror hack out there.

Has anyone tried Mythos World?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay, for some reason ( it might be the art) I just cannot get into the Sprawl. Has anyone else found this?

It might also be that there seem to be too many things to roll on, too many additional systems that it feels really hard to have a thing that you are good at, even if you can suck at other stuff.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 9, 2017

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Josef bugman posted:

Okay, for some reason ( it might be the art) I just cannot get into the Sprawl. Has anyone else found this?

It might also be that there seem to be too many things to roll on, too many additional systems that it feels really hard to have a thing that you are good at, even if you can suck at other stuff.

Hm. What do you mean by the latter? It's basically a six stat PbtA game, so everyone should be pretty good at a wide variety of things. The main weird thing The Sprawl does is give everyone stat-swap moves (i.e. "you may roll stat X for ability Y) in the form of Synth and Cyberware.

I do feel like Sprawl very specifically appeals to people who are fond of the Neuromancer/Burning Chrome era of cyberpunk that it's targeting. If you don't have affinity for that it might be hard to be tied to its themes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Sprawl's kinda fiddly, but I find it satisfies the itch that growing up on Shadowrun/CP2020 gives you. I remember the beta version being kind of a mess in this regard, but if the new playbooks are any indication they cleaned it up.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
It absolutely has more moving parts than aw or dw but in play it all moves very smoothly

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Guardian did an article on MH: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...ple-around-them

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

LordZoric posted:

Great stuff! Glad they're compiling a list of PbtA products.

tremulus being on there really makes me wish we had a good Lovecraftian horror hack out there.

Have you tried Lovecraftesque? I've found it pretty satisfying to scratch that itch. There's also Black Stars Rising

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
I have been working on a revised layout style for my Malleus playbooks. I want to move to a single page sheet, rather than the old tri-fold design. It isn't easy getting everything in one sheet (and it doesn't step you through character creation as well) but, taking some inspiration from Blades in the Dark and Ghost Lines, I think it is getting there. Looking for any feedback anyone has (about the layout, the text will be edited before I do the final layouts).

The mock up example is here.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I ran a one shot of Into the Odd, and really liked the industrial/occult setting. I want to run something with that atmosphere again, would Blades in the Dark be a good fit? How easy would it be to run through Roll20?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Anyone ever wonder if you could have a system that replaces the classic "pick x good things on 7-9 and maybe x+1 on 10+ and gm picks if you poo poo the bed" with a 4 fudge dice roll where the player picks for + and the gm picks for - ?

It feels like there's a nugget of an idea somewhere if it's not already done, but I can't think how you would factor in skills elegantly. Swap in better dice? Add extra dice with no fails?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ShineDog posted:

Anyone ever wonder if you could have a system that replaces the classic "pick x good things on 7-9 and maybe x+1 on 10+ and gm picks if you poo poo the bed" with a 4 fudge dice roll where the player picks for + and the gm picks for - ?

It feels like there's a nugget of an idea somewhere if it's not already done, but I can't think how you would factor in skills elegantly. Swap in better dice? Add extra dice with no fails?

Maybe stick to the pbta Move format, but literally have each move give you + and - options you each pick from? You wouldn't even need stats, just moves.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

ShineDog posted:

I've been messing with ideas for this with several dice pool systems that allow you to increase competency on two vectors - what the minimum number on any given dice counts as a player making a choice and how many dice you roll.

None of them really delivered in a way I was happy with, but I'll post my failures when I get home so others can pick over the bones.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Played my first game of Monster of the Week over the weekend, and everyone (including the GM) was unclear on a few things.

First Aid will heal you for 1 per injury. Does that mean if, in a single fight, you get hit four times for 1 harm each, that you can First Aid each of those wounds? Or does all Harm received in a single encounter merge into a single "wound?" Or should it be based on the nature of the wounds (e.g. three were for shot-up leg, and one for a cut to the head. So two injuries meaning two first-aid heals?)

Second, what's a good balance for the Use Magic move? Going back to healing, can you just repeatedly heal yourself again and again to erase all Harm? That seems cheap and really not fun.
If you're requiring some prep time or materials for the magic, where's the right balance point? That is, I could see the material cost being anywhere between "a handful of dirt i.e. free" and "literally the soul of the devil i.e. once per ever." What's a good middle ground so people don't just sit down and Use Magic again and again to get what they want?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

The injury one is pretty ambiguous. I would play it as all the harm you've taken up until the current harm total count as one, but I don't think you'd be wrong either way. It kinda just depends on how harsh you want the game to be.

As far as Magic... I kind of feel like that's not a problem? Healing one Harm is a pretty small effect so I wouldn't have it cost much; except maybe time, so they can't just emergency heal while being chased (or at least not more than once). But looking at the list of glitches:

quote:

• The effect is weakened.
• The effect is of short duration.
• You take 1-harm ignore-armour.
• The magic draws immediate, unwelcome attention.
• It has a problematic side effect.

That's hardly free! I don't know MotW's playbooks very well, but I doubt there's anyone who can reliably hit 10+.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Even with a Weird +3, there's still a decent chances of 7-9's and 6-s so you can't roll heals that well over and over again without some big issue popping up. Also, it doesn't stabilize wounds IIRC.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
And as a GM you should often be applying time pressure.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

thelazyblank posted:

Even with a Weird +3, there's still a decent chances of 7-9's and 6-s so you can't roll heals that well over and over again without some big issue popping up. Also, it doesn't stabilize wounds IIRC.

Exactly: if you roll a 7-9 the GM can apply "take 1 harm AP" which, while kind of dickish, is a solid fictional way of saying "you are taking these wounds into your own body." Or you can just say, "The magic draws immediate, unwelcome attention" which means you probably aren't doing that again.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

admanb posted:

Exactly: if you roll a 7-9 the GM can apply "take 1 harm AP" which, while kind of dickish, is a solid fictional way of saying "you are taking these wounds into your own body." Or you can just say, "The magic draws immediate, unwelcome attention" which means you probably aren't doing that again.

From my understanding, the player would have to choose the "take 1 harm" glitch, rather than the GM applying it. However, I get the point that the GM should be constraining time/resources so that it's not possible to sit around and solving everything by using magic again and again, at least not without "unwanted attention" barreling in through the door.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Duct Tape posted:

From my understanding, the player would have to choose the "take 1 harm" glitch, rather than the GM applying it. However, I get the point that the GM should be constraining time/resources so that it's not possible to sit around and solving everything by using magic again and again, at least not without "unwanted attention" barreling in through the door.

Ah I did misread that, but yeah all of the glitch effects should hit the "heal one harm" spell pretty well. Like, if the player chose "the effect is weakened" I would just straight up have it do nothing but make them feel better.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Is there any way to get in on this? I missed the kickstarter, but I've been super-excited about this game ever since you posted a draft months ago.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

ShineDog posted:

This sounds a lot like the current Star Wars system, where your dice give you measured successes with complications and side stuff. This sounds like a good refinement of that, maybe? Wherein, maybe, net +s over -s mean you do it, net -s over +s mean you don't, and then each individual die is also resolved in terms of partial accomplishments and penalties? The one potential flaw I see is that, with FATE dice, adding more dice just widens out the range of probabilities, but you're still most likely to roll somewhere in the middle. To give characters something like stats, maybe a relevant stat would just give them free '+'s? So you might roll 4dF and get two extra '+'s because you have Hard+2. Then a move would be like:

Throw Down. When it comes to violence, and you're involved, name what you're trying
to accomplish and roll with Hard.
If the sum is greater than 0, you throw down and get what you want.
If it's less, you throw down but you don't eek it out.
Then choose one option for each '+' on your roll (including or precluding any from Hard):
  • You inflict more serious harm (+1 harm)
  • You don't destroy anything or anything you care about in the process
  • You suffer little harm (-1 harm)
  • You have a good position if they try to counter-attack (1armor forward)
  • You have a clean out if you're quick about it
The MC will choose options equal to the number of '-'s on the dice:
  • Your opponents learn a lesson about you and how you fight.
    (You get one fewer '+'s the next time you attack them.)
  • You lose track of something or someone.
  • You miss noticing something important.
  • You lose your position, your footing, or your grip on something.

Overall, that seems really busy to me, and it definitely needs some refinement, but it's maybe workable. It may be better 2dF instead of 4dF, or asking you to spend two '+'s for each option. That would mean you could write less options without someone rolling 4 '+'s and grabbing everything off the list.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
If you roll 4+, you deserve everything off the list imo. Its a pbta style 10+

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
SBF in Apoc World only lets you pick three of its four things on a 10+, and most of the ones above were cribbed from it. :shrug:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

QuantumNinja posted:

SBF in Apoc World only lets you pick three of its four things on a 10+, and most of the ones above were cribbed from it. :shrug:

Yeah the move is rough but cool. I was specifically responding to that last sentence there about maybe not letting a player pick 4, which I think should happen and is a point in favor of using fudge dice imo.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Geting all 4 identical is 1/36 odds which is equiv to a 12+.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

QuantumNinja posted:

Is there any way to get in on this? I missed the kickstarter, but I've been super-excited about this game ever since you posted a draft months ago.

Thanks for your interest!

It'll be out for regular purchase when it's done, or if you just can't wait throw me a PM and I'll see if we can't sort something out.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I agree it plays out like a simpler version of ff star wars. This is good, necause ff star wars is horribly overcomplicated.

My thoughts on using fate dice so far.

Use 3df, not 4. 4 just seems to get busy.

Some effects might be ++ or -- to trigger?

Any triple result should do something interesting. Particularly a blank since there's no mechanical effect going. Current thought is that a triple blank is a plot twist introduced by the player furthest from the current action, assuming the gm thinks it makes sense.

I went back and force on how skills or characteristics could interact with a move. Adding to the pool doesn't work. A static + seems to swing away from dice results.

First thought was add a dice of a different colour where - doesn't count. I think that would lead to excessive picks pretty fast though.

Then I went to rolling extra dice but picking your best 3. That kinda sucks though because you'll never see the negative results after a while and you kinda want to.

I've settled on the idea of rerolls as my favourite. Rerolls a dice you don't like for each point of skill you have.

From that I think you've just got 4 degrees of mastery in stats. Layman, skilled, expert, master. 0 to 3 rerolls on a given check

Frim that i think if you get a triple on your initial roll though you probably can't reroll it. That's a 1 in 21 plot twist, 1 in 21 hilarious failure. Possibly too harsh?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
I'm running the classic D&D module Castle Amber in the Game Room using World of Dungeons if anyone's interested in joining some French Castlevania-style shenanigans.

Manofmanusernames
Jul 27, 2012

Jackass.
Hey, does anybody know of any anime themed pbta games?

A running joke in my group is how anime our campaigns end up so we where like 'when we're finished with our current steampunk/weird west themed dungeon world campaign, why don't we just literally run an animee rpg?'

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Manofmanusernames posted:

A running joke in my group is how anime our campaigns end up so we where like 'when we're finished with our current steampunk/weird west themed dungeon world campaign, why don't we just literally run an animee rpg?'

I feel like Covok has posted a few drafts of one somewhere in this thread.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Anime is too broad a theme. What /genre/ of anime are you looking for? You can always just take an existing game and run it very anime. I've run Anime Masks and Anime Monsterhearts for 'Teen Superheroes' and 'Harem/Romance Anime', respectively.

Magical Fury is a PBTA inspired magical girl game.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Neopie posted:

Anime is too broad a theme. What /genre/ of anime are you looking for? You can always just take an existing game and run it very anime. I've run Anime Masks and Anime Monsterhearts for 'Teen Superheroes' and 'Harem/Romance Anime', respectively.

Magical Fury is a PBTA inspired magical girl game.

So's Magical Burst, also from the same author.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

I've been working on one for shonen battle manga. It's called Friendship, Effort, Victory. It's currently on hiatus.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Had an idea for a PbtA game after looking at AMP Year Three's Preview.

The Premise posted:

A few years ago, people started developing strange powers.

This lead to social strife between those with powers and those without in a very X-men way. Superheroes and supervillains really drove that divide as, while heroes became celebrities to half the population, villains became source of bitterness to the other half who were victims or afraid of being victims.

They were mostly tolerated until one of the greatest heroes, Ultra Woman, mutated in the middle of a fight into a horrid beast and destroyed half the city in a beastial rage before being taken down by government and super forces on both sides of the hero/villain line. Millions dead and a lot of those who trusted heroes started to lose faith. Even worse, it was found the gene that gave Supers their powers became corrupted over time and would eventually lead to upper coginitive degeneration and physical mutation, with continuous use speeding up the process.

Non-hero supers were already treated poorly, but now society is increasingly hostile with the government now backing Anti-Super group, Humanity First, as a means of helping police the super Population and weed out people on the brink of turning. A choice officially made out of desperation, though there is suspicions of anti-Super sentiments in the White House leading to this horrible choice.

To combat the Lost, the term given to Supers who have become corrupted, the government has formed a task force of Supers and Non-Supers to help capture or, if that's not possible, kill the Lost. The government officially hopes that the captured Lost can eventually find a treatment, if not an outright cure, for the mental and physical degeneration and thus end the crisis.

Mechanically, I think there'd be a divide in playbooks between Supers and Non-Supers. Supers would have a corruption mechanic where they gain new powers, but will eventually turn into the Lost. Non-Supers would have something like "Spite" or "Bigotry" or something along that sentiment where they'd get more powerful (really, more brutal and cruel) as their resentment towards Supers goes up. Eventually, they could lose their sense of empathy for Supers completely and become an NPC. Supers would have powers (thinking either how Masks did everything except the Protégé or how Masks did the Protégé) and Non-Supers would have gadgets and power armor (Either both or just one or the other).

There'd be a mechanic to cover bonds, with them being the only way for Supers and Non-Supers to reduce their respective corruption. Essentially, Supers can call on Bonds to lower their advances by burning that bond: essentially, they hold on to that emotion to help them hold back the transformation and stay human. Non-Supers can call on Bonds to lower their advances by essentially remembering that Super are people too. For Non-Supers, they'd could only burn Bonds they have with Supers. Bonds would be gain from their Intimacy move equivalent and contain some other benefit.

The group would have a shared character sheet representing their agency. Working with the GM to make the hierarchy of their local office, who they work for, and the general sentiments (three positive, one negative from a list) of the organization.

The GM would have an extra page devoted to the city the group operates in. There be a track with two extremes to represent both Super and Non-Super sentiments to each other with it being a balancing act. There be some rules to handle riots if one side reaches the "kill them all" extreme with the difference between the two tracks determine the rolls. Like, if the Supers love the Non-Supers, so to speak, thus they have a -1 and the Non-Supers absolutely hate the supers, they have a +1. Since the Non-supers are ready to fight for the riot and the Supers don't see it coming, they get a +2 to their roll to riot and hurt the supers. After a riot, the attacking side's sentiment goes back to neutral and the defending side's angier goes up, basically.

There'd be a track where, per successfully captured Lost (by encounter, not by narrative), it'd go up and eventually lead to a Cure. At the same time, per session played, a track would go up representing how long the party had until all the Supers began turning, even if they weren't using their powers, just as a result of time. Not just the player characters, but everyone: basically, game over. Need to find the Cure first.

Oh, and lastly, it'd be hard to capture a Lost. Lost would deal a decent amount of damage (we'd be using some from of Harm for this) from the get-go so keeping fights up long would be dangerous, but hurting Lost would be made easy so that it'd be easy to overshoot and kill them, if you have the proper gadgets of powers of your own. Basically, it'd be about hitting the range of "knocked out" without going over to "Dead" with the issue of randomness and the fact that stronger weapons and powers deal more flat harm: better to end a fight quickly and keep yourself alive, but makes it easier to overshoot. Balancing act.

How does that sound to everyone, if I ever get around to making this more than just an idea?

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

It's not PBTA or combat focused, but Golden Sky Stories is anime as hell, and adorable.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Covok posted:

How does that sound to everyone, if I ever get around to making this more than just an idea?
The baked-in end condition (find the cure or the world goes to hell in a hand-basket) is interesting, but I wonder if it's too constraining? I also wonder if the well-defined world leads to a decrease in replayability; one of the strengths of AW, for instance, is that no two apocalypses are the same. We've run a bunch of AW games now and they've all been radically different.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ilor posted:

The baked-in end condition (find the cure or the world goes to hell in a hand-basket) is interesting, but I wonder if it's too constraining? I also wonder if the well-defined world leads to a decrease in replayability; one of the strengths of AW, for instance, is that no two apocalypses are the same. We've run a bunch of AW games now and they've all been radically different.

I mean, Masks manages to be very replayable and it has a world arguably more defined than the one mentioned here. It just really sets the scenario: super heros and super villains suddenly started happening, they were devise, people with powers suffered from social strife especially if they weren't heroes, one day a hero turned into a monster, humongous right-wing reaction occurred, now people with powers are heavily discriminated against while hate groups are given legitimacy and the government is trying to find the cure and contain the crazy power users. You can do a lot with that premise really, at least in my book.

AS for the baked-in end condition, it's worth trying, at least. Not many tabletop roleplaying games try it, but a win-condition is a staple of most games in general. Why not give it a twirl and see if people love it or hate?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
But that's my point - the world is our world, only with (possibly monstrously out-of-control) super-heroes. Contrast this with AW, where the setting can be pretty much whatever you want, and where any one of a million different apocalypses have ended civilization. We've done AW on a space station. Or Dungeon World, where the sky's the limit in terms of interesting fantasy settings. Because your game has a baked-in end condition, if you want people to play it more than once, it needs to have some thought given to replayability, and one of the key facets to replayability is variation in setting or theme.

I'm not saying your concept isn't cool or interesting, just that I'm not sure I'd ever play it more than once.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Every game is anime themed if you try hard enough. They generally aren't super different plots from western stuff, they're just 7 years younger than our characters and are open with their emotions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ilor posted:

But that's my point - the world is our world, only with (possibly monstrously out-of-control) super-heroes. Contrast this with AW, where the setting can be pretty much whatever you want, and where any one of a million different apocalypses have ended civilization. We've done AW on a space station. Or Dungeon World, where the sky's the limit in terms of interesting fantasy settings. Because your game has a baked-in end condition, if you want people to play it more than once, it needs to have some thought given to replayability, and one of the key facets to replayability is variation in setting or theme.

I'm not saying your concept isn't cool or interesting, just that I'm not sure I'd ever play it more than once.

I mean, I get that to a degree, but I also feel its an unfair comparison. Apocalpyse World and Dungeon and most PbtA games give a soft setting, yes, but it still tells you the general themes it expects, gives you some aesthetic to go on, and gives you that initial push and conflict to a degree. Apocalpyse World makes it clear its all about resources, suggests things should be gritty, and tells you the world ended. Dungeon World tells you elves, dwarfs, and halflings exist, that things are somewhat feudal and guns don't exist, and that people go into dungeons on adventures. Sure, they don't have pages and pages devoted to a setting, but the author's intent is clear. You don't have to go for it, as many have not, but it doesn't mean it isn't present and doesn't influence your choices.

I still feel what I described is a soft setting by tabletop standards, but a hard setting by PbtA standards. (A hard setting by tabletop standards would be Eberron or Forgotten Releams.) I think it's on the same level of Masks in that regards: Masks tells you there has been four generations of heroes, tells you what each generation were like, even tells you the first hero, tells you the conflicts each generation had within and with each other, and tells you your conflict is with all of them, and even tells you the name of the city. Despite that, I've played Masks many different times and Halycon city was different every time. I will agree its harder than most PbtA title's setting, but I don't think it is that constraining.

Also, no worries, while I am disagreeing with you currently, I am not trying to say you're wrong. Well, what I mean is, this is productive discussion on the merits of a design decision. I'm not annoyed you have a differing opinion, I welcome that since it allows me to think outside myself on the issue.