Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

zooted heh posted:

I must not be noticing it then. I was under the impression when they blocked they lost a little bit of stamina.

Most people dump stat that poo poo but I've seen a Warlord take an orochi down with repeated heavy attacks and just not giving a gently caress about stamina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

zooted heh posted:

I must not be noticing it then. I was under the impression when they blocked they lost a little bit of stamina.

No you're right, failed attacks lead to loss of stamina. I think the guy was saying that he wants dodges to cost stamina, IE when Berserkers do the dodge+side step attack he wants it to use up stamina. Which would suck, cus that's like my main move.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Complaining about dodges makes no sense. Dodge attacks always come from the same direction with the same timing. Once you're confident in the timing, it is extremely easy to throw a light to force a dodge, parry the hit, punish.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Dreylad posted:

I've noticed more and more people dodging the Valk spear sweep, which is fair enough, but is it dodgable because I'm not activating it fast enough off the shield charge chain or is it just dodgable normally? If so that's... pretty rough for the Valk. Although I probably need to mix it up and guard break instead of sweeping.

Also shoulder charge from the Warden seems to beat shield smash/charge which is interesting. Not sure if it's about frames on contact or what is deciding that interaction.

Nope, people can just dodge it. Nothing you can do about it.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

satanic splash-back posted:

Complaining about dodges makes no sense. Dodge attacks always come from the same direction with the same timing. Once you're confident in the timing, it is extremely easy to throw a light to force a dodge, parry the hit, punish.

Word of warning about the Nobushi; this isn't always the case. Both the timing of the attack and the direction it comes from depend on which button you push and when you push it.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

threelemmings posted:

I'd like to see writeups that actually cover those small but maybe important mechanics.

How come this ain't in the OP? http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1571014-GUIDE-Fundamentals-of-Defense-in-For-Honor

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Astroniomix posted:

Word of warning about the Nobushi; this isn't always the case. Both the timing of the attack and the direction it comes from depend on which button you push and when you push it.

Those attacks come out when the button is pressed, not at the end of the dodge, so those are quite a bit trickier to deal with.

I think against Nobushi the range difference is usually a far bigger issue than their dodge attacks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I got a daily that requires me to play SKIRMISH against the loving AI :barf:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Internet Kraken posted:

Everyone gets the same dailies so you will have partners in misery.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

So I've been having trouble dealing with the pizza combo, after fighting a warden that canceled it into a grab everytime I tried to dodge and getting wrecked. I just don't see a way to ever get out of that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

signalnoise posted:

I'll admit that my revenge tactics depend entirely on whether or not my targets panic. I also like to hang out on the Front so there's fewer hazards around cause of course some Lawbringer will just be like "Raider, corner pocket"

This makes me want to see a Babe Ruth style shotcalling emote for the Shugoki. I mean full on *knocks dirt off cleats, points bat at right field bleachers* shotcalling. Call it the Grand Slamurai for all I care, own that poo poo.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 22, 2017

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
dang this game must've died the quickest death of any game in a long time welp it was fun while it lasted

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

dang this game must've died the quickest death of any game in a long time welp it was fun while it lasted

Are you blissfully unaware that it is the middle of the workday for a large portion of the world?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Internet Kraken posted:

This order combined with the difficulty in actually getting a loving Skirmish AI game and one where people didn't instantly leave, desync and abort the match, AND having to race the remaining players to executions on the same AI... It broke my will to live. gently caress this piece of poo poo game. I'm now spite-playing it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Brackhar posted:

Ok, gently caress the For Honor matchmaker. Its current state completely screws over solos. I'm sick and tired of getting matched game after game into an in-progress rounds where the opposing team is 600 points ahead and full of multiple prestige points and 50+ class levels while I'm only level 5. It's happened to me every single time I've queued for a 4v4 mode this week.

Finish the round and play the next match? :v: You know you don't have to quit after each round right? You can vote on the next map and stuff?

I really don't get why this makes people so infuriated.

Internet Kraken posted:

Just ignore it lol. You can live without that 100 steel and XP.

But yeah gross. Skirmish just shouldn't exist.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 22, 2017

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Just ignore it lol. You can live without that 100 steel and XP.

But yeah gross. Skirmish just shouldn't exist.

Yes, ignoring it would've been the smart move. Speaking for myself, I had never played a Skirmish game before so I didn't know what I was getting into, and I grew more stubborn when it proved hard.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Skirmish: bad
Netcode: bad
Revenge-stacking Gear: bad
Stupid Persistent Map poo poo: bad
UI: bad

actual idea animating the game and moment-to-moment gameplay: extremely good

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zaphod42 posted:

Finish the round and play the next match? :v:

I really don't get why this makes people so infuriated.

Losing sucks and it's made worse by being virtually powerless to even budge the needle on a bad loss but having to take the L anyway.

I'm new and bad enough at the game to be unfazed by this (because I'd lose even in a good matchup) but it isn't like it's unique to For Honor.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Replace the OP with this please.

Also, technically I know the netcode is good, but it handles people leaving really poorly.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 22, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FAUXTON posted:

Losing sucks and it's made worse by being virtually powerless to even budge the needle on a bad loss but having to take the L anyway.

I'm new and bad enough at the game to be unfazed by this (because I'd lose even in a good matchup) but it isn't like it's unique to For Honor.

I dunno losing after 30 seconds isn't a real "loss" to me. I don't feel bad, but I still get XP. Like, no poo poo you aren't responsible for that loss. So why should you feel bad? It doesn't reflect on your skill or anything.

I guess if you really obsess about your W/L ratio??? Like, who cares. There isn't even a proper skill ranking mode for this game yet.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

That's what's killing me right now. I keep consistently getting kicked from games for poor network connection and sub 30 FPS. Usually the game runs fine but whenever there's 4 people in one area with animations and dynamic lighting my game freezes up slightly and I get kicked. It's brutal.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

did you really come to this thread from GBS just to post this?

panda clue fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 22, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Donnerberg posted:

Also, technically I know the netcode is good, but it handles people leaving really poorly.

It's good in the sense that it's the best dirt road it could possibly be.

But pave the drat thing (switch to server-based) and all these dirt road problems go away.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

But pave the drat thing (switch to server-based) and all these dirt road problems go away.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Needs a shugoki clubbing it, IMO.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

2 SPOOKY posted:

Needs a shugoki clubbing it, IMO.

Eating it, actually. While an Orochi hype man looks on and screams "muthafucker eats HORSE MEAT!!!!!"

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
lol I don't think I've ever actually gotten mad playing against humans but holy poo poo when I lose a duel to a bot the fact that I can't immediately rematch it without having to reload makes me soooo pissed

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno losing after 30 seconds isn't a real "loss" to me. I don't feel bad, but I still get XP. Like, no poo poo you aren't responsible for that loss. So why should you feel bad? It doesn't reflect on your skill or anything.

I guess if you really obsess about your W/L ratio??? Like, who cares. There isn't even a proper skill ranking mode for this game yet.

Yeah, the upside is that you don't get penalized for a loss in this game outside of maybe some hidden MMR hit or something. Losing in this game only sucks in that it isn't winning but so far I haven't even really seen people being lovely winners so it really isn't even having to deal with people calling you a scrub or whatever if that sort of thing gets to you. Closest I've seen to that is the emote/move spamming that makes the character model spaz out and look ridiculous and let's be honest that poo poo's funny no matter what.

Raider splits your skull open and then twitches around going HUT HUT HUT HUT

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I like waiting for the 5thish person to ready up (oh man sweet loot let me just check it out) knowing that he won't and that'll force the game to close. I'm trying to remember the last game that I seriously played that had readying up. Did Dota 2? Was it Heroes of Newerth? Whatever I can't just sit and play this game for very long because my tolerance for not playing the game I bought is pretty low these days.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

I like waiting for the 5thish person to ready up (oh man sweet loot let me just check it out) knowing that he won't and that'll force the game to close. I'm trying to remember the last game that I seriously played that had readying up. Did Dota 2? Was it Heroes of Newerth? Whatever I can't just sit and play this game for very long because my tolerance for not playing the game I bought is pretty low these days.

People not readying up does not force the game to close, period. If the game closed, it means he left, or there were only like 2 people in the lobby for a 4v4 game mode. You need at least 4 players.

People not readying up just means you have to wait the full countdown. This is how most online games handle it, actually. If everybody readies up, it starts immediately, so if you haven't voted on the map you don't get to.

It should put you into matchmaking automatically if the game closes though, for sure. Hopefully they'll clean up those matchmaking hijinks soon because they make everything take longer than it should.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

People not readying up does not force the game to close, period. If the game closed, it means he left, or there were only like 2 people in the lobby for a 4v4 game mode. You need at least 4 players.

People not readying up just means you have to wait the full countdown. This is how most online games handle it, actually. If everybody readies up, it starts immediately, so if you haven't voted on the map you don't get to.

It should put you into matchmaking automatically if the game closes though, for sure. Hopefully they'll clean up those matchmaking hijinks soon because they make everything take longer than it should.

I meant that when that 4th person doesn't ready up in a reasonable time I know he's probably going to leave causing the game to dissolve. Readying up is a relic and has no place in a modern game.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 22, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

I meant that when that 4th person doesn't ready up in a reasonable time I know he's probably going to leave causing the game to dissolve. Readying up is a relic and has no place in a modern game.

But then you're not complaining about readying up at all, you're complaining about the 4th guy leaving. That makes no sense.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

It's good in the sense that it's the best dirt road it could possibly be.

As someone who grew up driving on dirt roads, your analogy is pretty good considering your ideas on netcode and roads are both uninformed. Paving it would create all kinds of logistical problems that arent worth it. And in low traffic areas pavement is garbage.

What theyre actually going to do is akin to putting gravel on it which is the best solution in real life too.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Turns out if your teammate leaves after a 2v2 brawl vs AI, and you just ready up instead of re-queueing, and it's at a slow enough time, you can just rake in the steel/XP/loot by fighting bots with a bot on your team and it turns out bots give absolutely ZEEE-ROWE fucks about "honoring the 1v1."

Hell my AI teammate more often than not just bolted over to help me win my fight while rear end-tanking the other enemy bot for me. Three laws safe, yo.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

FAUXTON posted:

Turns out if your teammate leaves after a 2v2 brawl vs AI, and you just ready up instead of re-queueing, and it's at a slow enough time, you can just rake in the steel/XP/loot by fighting bots with a bot on your team and it turns out bots give absolutely ZEEE-ROWE fucks about "honoring the 1v1."

Hell my AI teammate more often than not just bolted over to help me win my fight while rear end-tanking the other enemy bot for me. Three laws safe, yo.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

But then you're not complaining about readying up at all, you're complaining about the 4th guy leaving. That makes no sense.

I'm complaining about both. That last guy not readying up makes me (being optimistic) want to stick around so I can get to play another loving game. Instead it encourages people to leave immediately because it's just faster. Sticking to your game should be faster than jumping back into matchmaking. It's pretty simple I am in favor of systems that streamline getting me into a game as opposed to ones that heap as much poo poo in the way. I'll let you figure out which one For Honor has.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Spells? :psyduck:

Ubisoft please add a wizard to the knights faction tia.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Wow, season pass owners get to try the Wizard class already? I can feel my wallet loosening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Nasgate posted:

As someone who grew up driving on dirt roads, your analogy is pretty good considering your ideas on netcode and roads are both uninformed.

All-time classic starter right here, folks.