Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Acinonyx posted:

The article talks about these dip poo poo managers described as top performers... in a company where the only tangible progress appears to be losing court battles and lighting money on fire, what do you think constitutes excellent management performance?

Honestly I wonder what kind of work any of them do. The app itself hasn't added many features or improvements. I'm sure it's a lot of work to just maintain the database and whatnot, but there have to be a ton of people there doing little to no productive work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

WampaLord posted:

Honestly I wonder what kind of work any of them do. The app itself hasn't added many features or improvements. I'm sure it's a lot of work to just maintain the database and whatnot, but there have to be a ton of people there doing little to no productive work.

They wait for their stock to vest.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

WampaLord posted:

Her job initially sounded like sorting out the fact that the app was about to fall over catastrophically at any minute

Spoiler: it's probably been like that permanently since Uber started.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Something Something Fine Leather Jackets Something.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

WampaLord posted:

1. At any given point they're probably working on a bunch of things that will go nowhere and get shuttered. That's just the nature of the tech industry, if you stop experimenting then you quickly become obsolescent and die.

2. People, even other programmers, often underestimate how much work it takes to create a good product with good UX. There's almost always a ton of things going on under the hood that you've never thought about because it's not directly visible, or because there are features that you don't personally use.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

sarehu posted:

But what's good about Uber is the civil disobedience they perform to get the laws protecting incumbents changed.

Except they're fighting for waivers, not to get the law changed, because that would benefit their competitors if they did that.

WampaLord posted:

They finally added ride sharing last summer, I'm sure that took a lot of development. Especially since you can only activate it twice a day.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cicero posted:

2. People, even other programmers, often underestimate how much work it takes to create a good product with good UX. There's almost always a ton of things going on under the hood that you've never thought about because it's not directly visible, or because there are features that you don't personally use.

Also uber adds features all the time. That doesn't seem like a sane criticism of uber at all. They are pushing out new gimmick features every other week that may or may not disappear in the next update as well as tons of basic functionality still being added. Like the way they didn't even fully integrate picking a destination into the process until like 2016 and treated it as some optional separate estimate thing before that.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

WampaLord posted:

I'd guess (and it is just a guess) there's a bunch of data science and analytics guys trying to optimise the service, i.e. maximise income by knowing how much they can charge people, encouraging drivers to the right locations at the right times, etc. A recruiter pushed a job at me last year that was a very similar thing for a rival taxi firm.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Let's try it this way.

Company: SREs are awesome! We really appreciate your intelligence and hard work! Hooray for SREs! Have a leather jacket!!!!
Company: Oh, except for women.

We are talking about a gesture that is inherently a symbol. Handing out SRE jackets is not a business necessity for Uber; it is something they do to symbolize the importance of SREs. In that case, making the symbol explicitly exclude women is a choice in symbolism, and an ugly one.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Doc Hawkins posted:

Under whatever measure of fairness you prefer, compare the two options:
  • Buy men's jackets, and buy women's jackets at a higher price per unit
  • Buy only men's jackets

None are fair. You might say one is fair to all male SRE's and the other is fair to all SRE's. But both are unfair to non-SRE's, and it isn't really fair that a longer term SRE gets the same leather jacket as somebody who's going to leave next week, or one that's a semi-retarded SRE gets the same jacket as a good one. It's unfair that the homeless guys out on the street aren't getting leather jackets. It's unfair that I didn't get a leather jacket.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

sarehu posted:

None are fair. You might say one is fair to all male SRE's and the other is fair to all SRE's. But both are unfair to non-SRE's, and it isn't really fair that a longer term SRE gets the same leather jacket as somebody who's going to leave next week, or one that's a semi-retarded SRE gets the same jacket as a good one. It's unfair that the homeless guys out on the street aren't getting leather jackets. It's unfair that I didn't get a leather jacket.

wow

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
sarehu if that isn't a troll see if you can find a gear in your brain transmission between "way too reductive" and "way too expansive"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

pangstrom posted:

sarehu if that isn't a troll see if you can find a gear in your brain transmission between "way too reductive" and "way too expansive"

That's kind of his thing.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
My sense of morality isn't warped by crying about whether something's fair. You can make things "fair" to compensate for the lack of jackets by paying the women $X more. Or by paying them the same and looking the other way when they get sick more often. Or you could lower their salary to $5000 per year to be more in line with the global median income. That's fair. It all depends on what set of people you look at.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

sarehu posted:

My sense of morality isn't warped by crying about whether something's fair. You can make things "fair" to compensate for the lack of jackets by paying the women $X more. Or by paying them the same and looking the other way when they get sick more often. Or you could lower their salary to $5000 per year to be more in line with the global median income. That's fair. It all depends on what set of people you look at.

Scorching.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

sarehu posted:

Tax the rich so that everyone can afford leather jackets? I'm down.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

Tax the rich so that everyone can afford leather jackets? I'm down.

One people united under one jacket.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Full Leather Jacket

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

sarehu posted:

Sir, sir, this is a k-mart little caesar's.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Women should just be grateful that business puts up with their issues and be thankful they even have a job at all am i rite reddit.com/r/mra

obvious sarcasm

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The answer's pretty simple. Give the female employees leather jackets made out of the male employees.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Discendo Vox posted:

The answer's pretty simple. Give the female employees leather jackets made out of the male employees.
The Silence of the Mans

As the Uber story continues, it turns out Uber CEO Kalanick refused to let the company collect racial and gender data, because " he felt racial or gender diversity weren’t useful metrics for the company and argued that diversity comes in a lot of different forms." There's no evidence he tried to measure any of these other forms. (Read the whole article; it's fascinating and thoroughly shoots down Kalanick's "I am shocked, shocked" defense.)

e: Now with new, improved URL!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

It's literally the old chestnut of "if we don't measure it, it can't hurt us"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

sarehu posted:

What does anything that you've said have to do with the engineering director making an obviously self-contradictory claim?

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 23, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

cowofwar posted:

Women should just be grateful that business puts up with their issues and be thankful they even have a job at all am i rite reddit.com/r/mra

obvious sarcasm

Thats oil field life pretty much. My mother in law's company provides a monthly stipend for field employees that don't use a company vehicle. She turned hers in last year and took the stipend, which is half of what the men's is and when she questioned it she was told that she was lucky they were giving her anything since she rarely goes into the field. The other guys in the office never go into the field.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

If something isn't fair in every conceivable way, you might as well not try to be fair in any way.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Sweet baby Cthulhu in the ice-cream drawer.

Inside Uber’s Aggressive, Unrestrained Workplace Culture

quote:

Interviews with more than 30 current and former Uber employees, as well as reviews of internal emails, chat logs and tape-recorded meetings, paint a picture of an often unrestrained workplace culture. Among the most egregious accusations from employees, who either witnessed or were subject to incidents and who asked to remain anonymous because of confidentiality agreements and fear of retaliation: One Uber manager groped female co-workers’ breasts at a company retreat in Las Vegas. A director shouted a homophobic slur at a subordinate during a heated confrontation in a meeting. Another manager threatened to beat an underperforming employee’s head in with a baseball bat.
Uber’s aggressive workplace culture spilled out at a global all-hands meeting in late 2015 in Las Vegas, where the company hired Beyoncé to perform at the rooftop bar of the Palms Hotel. Between bouts of drinking and gambling, Uber employees used cocaine in the bathrooms at private parties, said three attendees, and a manager groped several female employees. (The manager was terminated within 12 hours.) One employee hijacked a private shuttle bus, filled it with friends and took it for a joy ride, the attendees said.

edit edit: This Tweet is from Paul Bradley Carr, who's been at the Guardian, TechCrunch, and is currently at PandoDaily. No idea who his sources are, but he's at least a professional journalist who's covered Uber before.
https://twitter.com/paulbradleycarr/status/834567444773564417

edit edit edit: The picture in the Tweet is a screencap from the Blind app, which is basically an anonymous corporate shitchat app.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 23, 2017

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The Silence of the Mans

As the Uber story continues, it turns out Uber CEO Kalanick refused to let the company collect racial and gender data, because " he felt racial or gender diversity weren’t useful metrics for the company and argued that diversity comes in a lot of different forms." There's no evidence he tried to measure any of these other forms. (Read the whole article; it's fascinating and thoroughly shoots down Kalanick's "I am shocked, shocked" defense.)

e: Now with new, improved URL!

Ummm, don't employers have to collect that data to report to the EEOC?

Or I guess they collected it but just wouldn't distribute it?

aware of dog fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 23, 2017

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

aware of dog posted:

Ummm, don't employers have to collect that data to report to the EEOC?

Or I guess they collected it but just wouldn't distribute it?

Quick googling, yes, they would have had to file a form EEO-1 annually once they had more than 100 employees.

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/tools-and-samples/hr-qa/pages/newfilingrequirements.aspx

If they really didn't collect the stats, yet another case of lawbre^H^H^H disruption.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
This reminds me, I've still been waiting for my SRE jacket after ordering one 2 years ago now (I am a man and don't work for Uber).

Corporate schwag like that is for team building. I have a company SRE backpack I shove my oncall laptop in and it's kind of neat how everyone on the team has the same pack.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Arsenic Lupin posted:

edit edit: This Tweet is from Paul Bradley Carr, who's been at the Guardian, TechCrunch, and is currently at PandoDaily. No idea who his sources are, but he's at least a professional journalist who's covered Uber before.
https://twitter.com/paulbradleycarr/status/834567444773564417

edit edit edit: The picture in the Tweet is a screencap from the Blind app, which is basically an anonymous corporate shitchat app.
Wonder how many of those 118 are people who have some thing(s) on record and knew that Uber is going to care all of a sudden.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 23, 2017

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I'm kind of amazed at how hosed up everything is at uber. Personally. I've always disliked that company for the way they treat the driver's and the blatant objectivist goals of the company itself, but I wasn't expecting this level of chauvinist bullshit and abuse.

This is what would happen if a bunch of rich white male teens started a company and everyone kept telling them they were doing great and threw money at them.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
wait

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They only *act* like they were teens.

I worked a bit with Garrett before and liked him, but I don't know how involved he still is.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I also wonder if Uber's board has any plausbile way to oust Travis or if it's more of a Theranos situation. Though the Saudi money *probably* doesn't care too much about misogyny stuff personally they would do it as a practical thing if it came to that and if they could.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

pangstrom posted:

I also wonder if Uber's board has any plausbile way to oust Travis or if it's more of a Theranos situation. Though the Saudi money *probably* doesn't care too much about misogyny stuff personally they would do it as a practical thing if it came to that and if they could.

Don't you worry, Ariana Huffington and her board seat are on the case.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

It's weird how juvenile and chauvinistic a company run by a libertarian MRA shithead is.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

cowofwar posted:

If a men's jacket cost $60 and a women's jacket cost $100 then the cost of jackets is $80. Providing something for only half your workforce is worse than providing nothing at all.

lol only 15% of their workforce is women iirc

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
You are all missing the obvious solution. One woman buys a jacket, and then rents it out to her co-workers via an app. A jacket-sharing program

Jackt

rscott posted:

lol only 15% of their workforce is women iirc

If you believe their numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Boywhiz88 posted:

You are all missing the obvious solution. One woman buys a jacket, and then rents it out to her co-workers via an app. A jacket-sharing program

Jackt

Hey, I was gonna use that name for my app for guys to find JO buddies <:mad:>