Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rocksicles posted:

Best episode by a country mile.

Jed Whedon > Joss Whedon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Which episode of Agents of Shield was the showdown on the alien planet where Ward is possessed? I can't remember if it was a season or mid-season finale and want to pick it back up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chop Sunni posted:

Which episode of Agents of Shield was the showdown on the alien planet where Ward is possessed? I can't remember if it was a season or mid-season finale and want to pick it back up.
Mid-season finale for season... are we on 4 now? Season N-1.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chop Sunni posted:

Yeah, you're thinking of Maveth; Season 3 Episode 10.

Honestly feels like a lifetime ago at this point. This show crams so much stuff into its running time and arcs, it's loving crazy.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

precision posted:

Bates Motel is amazing, it kicks into high gear around the end of season 2 and never lets up. Season 4 is flat-out phenomenal and the upcoming final season looks great.

I'm starting to run out of decent serialized shows to watch myself and was considering watching this. What about before the end of S2? Is it still good? Is it a rocky start but gets better after a few episodes sort of deal? I tend to sometimes drop shows to watch other things if the first couple episodes don't hook me(For instance I've only watched 1 or 2 episodes of The 100 despite hearing it's good, I do intend to keep going with it eventually), and sometimes when I give them another chance I wind up really liking them. Rectify is another show I've only watched one episode of, but keep hearing it's worth picking back up.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Thanks!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, you're thinking of Maveth; Season 3 Episode 10.

Honestly feels like a lifetime ago at this point. This show crams so much stuff into its running time and arcs, it's loving crazy.

They found a book.

Now you're caught up.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm doing it. I quit Quantico at the S1 mid-season break, but I'm going to jump back in with S2.

omg it's QUAN2CO how cool:suicide:

edit: Ugh, still Grey's Anatomy: Clandestine Service. I want a spy/thriller show and this has bits and pieces of it but it's like a $20 appetizer where there's a bunch of filler and not enough of the good stuff.

Did you watch Blindspot yet? It's uh... Also kinda ridiculous, but I think it's got to be better than Quantico, from the clips I've seen of Quantico. It's got spy thriller stuff and also a good dose of action. Chases and gunfights and martial arts in every episode.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

Is The Mick not mediocre? I heard it was mediocre, at least the first few episodes when reviewed by several publications.

It's better than mediocre, though some of the early episodes don't hit hard. Episode 3 was not that great for example. After that, it stays consistent.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm starting to run out of decent serialized shows to watch myself and was considering watching this. What about before the end of S2? Is it still good? Is it a rocky start but gets better after a few episodes sort of deal? I tend to sometimes drop shows to watch other things if the first couple episodes don't hook me(For instance I've only watched 1 or 2 episodes of The 100 despite hearing it's good, I do intend to keep going with it eventually), and sometimes when I give them another chance I wind up really liking them. Rectify is another show I've only watched one episode of, but keep hearing it's worth picking back up.

Oh don't get me wrong, it's good from jump street, it's just that it doesn't immediately go as crazy as you might think. Cuse did a quite good job of establishing the town and putting the pieces in place before flipping the table.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

feedmyleg posted:

Is The Mick not mediocre? I heard it was mediocre, at least the first few episodes when reviewed by several publications.
I saw a bunch of people praising it in the Always Sunny thread so I tried it. Watched the first six or so and it's okay, not sure if I will keep up.

By the way, did the sister's boyfriend just disappear without comment?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fast Luck posted:

I saw a bunch of people praising it in the Always Sunny thread so I tried it. Watched the first six or so and it's okay, not sure if I will keep up.

It's fox and a sitcom so there's better than even money they're airing it out of order.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I find with a lot of modern sitcoms you have to accept a little... shakiness with continuity. The writers want to have the characters and plot develop in natural and organic ways, the network thinks the ratings will be better if you play episode 6 before episode 2.

It's a very old practice, it's just that the shows themselves increasingly do not fit with this.

Anyway The Mick is great. The pilot is, like many comedy pilots, just sort of okay, has a few laughs but mostly sets things up. But it picks up quickly.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Haha I went on wiki to check and The Mick hasn't even aired its third episode in production order yet. It goes 1-2-4-7-8-6-5-9-10-11 right now. 3 airs on Tues. guess that means it's crap.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Fast Luck posted:

The network has aired it out of order.

episode 4 was aired third
episode 7 was aired fourth
episode 8 was aired fifth
episode 5 was aired seventh
episode 9 was aired eighth
episode 10 was aired ninth
episode 11 was aired tenth
episode 3 will be aired eleventh

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

Haha I went on wiki to check and The Mick hasn't even aired its third episode in production order yet. It goes 1-2-4-7-8-6-5-9-10-11 right now. 3 airs on Tues. guess that means it's crap.

Yeah guess I was right about the order, I wish they wouldn't do that poo poo.

It was REALLY bad on Don't Trust the Bitch in Apt 23.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Don't trust the B had unaired season 1 episodes being aired randomly in the middle of season 2. That show was a complete mess order-wise.

http://alotofblood.tumblr.com/post/51435849201/dont-trust-the-bitch-correct-episode-order

For example the 3rd and 6th episode production wise were the last 2 episodes aired before the show was cancelled.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 22, 2017

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Reiterating the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. finale love. Tons of :tviv:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wasn't a finale. Just a regular old episode.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a finale until April.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
if the Apocalypse happens before April it was the de facto series finale

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well it was the "pod" finale in that the season is broken up into 3 distinct parts and that was the end of the second.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Aphrodite posted:

It's a finale until April.

Well poo poo. I didn't even realize.

It's too bad Daisy didn't program some superpowers so it's all like Saints Row 4.

Spoiler based on facts from last nights episode.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

STAC Goat posted:

Well it was the "pod" finale in that the season is broken up into 3 distinct parts and that was the end of the second.

does that make the next one the Brienne finale

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The final scene of Hannibal S3 being a hair away from "gunshot, fade to black" might as well be my review for the show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
pretty perfect final scene imo

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Well I think I'm done with Fresh Off the Boat, the grandma character keyed a camry that was clearly a late 90s model and this show is supposed to be set in the 80s? Preposterous! MY IMMERSION!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

Well I think I'm done with Fresh Off the Boat, the grandma character keyed a camry that was clearly a late 90s model and this show is supposed to be set in the 80s? Preposterous! MY IMMERSION!

You've watched three seasons of Fresh Off the Boat and you think it's set in the 80s?

Did you forget Reebok Pumps, Shaq, the worshipping of 90's rap?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Looten Plunder posted:

You've watched three seasons of Fresh Off the Boat and you think it's set in the 80s?

Did you forget Reebok Pumps, Shaq, the worshipping of 90's rap?

It's supposed to be early 90s MY BAD.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The first season was set in the mid 90s

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

feedmyleg posted:

To be fair that seems to be the norm with sitcoms and comedies in general on television.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

IRQ posted:

Guess you weren't that immersed if you didn't even know what decade the show is set it

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Everyone knows 80s icon Notorious BIG

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

pretty perfect final scene imo
Yeah the first half of s3 in Florence was iffy but the second half that's Red Dragon was great.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah the first half of s3 in Florence was iffy but the second half that's Red Dragon was great.

"Bowels in, or bowels out?" I really enjoyed how Hannibal was both faithful to it's source material and yet went completely away from it. I'm kind of glad they never got the rights to Silence of the Lambs because I think it would have taken away from the Hannibal/Will romance.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Medullah posted:

"Bowels in, or bowels out?" I really enjoyed how Hannibal was both faithful to it's source material and yet went completely away from it. I'm kind of glad they never got the rights to Silence of the Lambs because I think it would have taken away from the Hannibal/Will romance.
Also Lifetime has the rights to Silence for any TV adaption.

No really.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Josh Lyman posted:

Also Lifetime has the rights to Silence for any TV adaption.

No really.

I now really want to see "A Cry in the Dark - One Transvestite's Story", a Lifetime Original Movie.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a little surprised to see people celebrating the Red Dragon arc over the Hannibal arc in season 3. While Red Dragon was still strong, there were a lot of confusing production decisions that marred the arc. You had Dolarhyde still working at a film processing facility when he could have just worked for "facebook" (I recall people presupposing he did so from a logo in one of the production stills), TattleCrime inexplicably reverting to paper tabloid status, the comparatively mundane nature of Francis's crimes, among others. I feel it also suffered from many of Red Dragon book's nuances having been plundered to fit into the first 2 1/2 seasons, as well.

Personally, I regard the Hannibal arc as the climax of the show, and Red Dragon as the denouement. In Italy, you had the characters directly confronting the traumas they received, and making their major changes. We had Will embrace mutilation-for-art just as Hannibal explored his empathy, Jack severing all his old relationships and Alana forging a new path, and Mason approaching new levels of codependency and gaucheness. I regard Will's rebuke after the most literal expression of Hannibal's "heroism" as the most important part of the show. As the show stands, I can interpret Will as having finally turned away from his own darkness despite incessant temptation.

Lurdiak posted:

The final scene of Hannibal S3 being a hair away from "gunshot, fade to black" might as well be my review for the show.

Bedelia ate herself out of fear and that's that until season 4 starts filming!

On other notes: As much as I enjoy Man Seeking Woman, I am very displeased with this week's episode for tarnishing my image of Peter Gallagher as the #1 TV Dad. (I was, like, 12 when I watched the OC.)

STAC Goat posted:

But by bailing on the end of S3 I think you miss some key things to hate Piper on like her framing Ruby Rose and getting her sent to max.

Uhh, no, actually eliminating that black hole was the best thing Piper ever did. (Well, after leading to more screentime for Flaca via the panty-selling scheme)

Also also, has any news come out about the renewal of Sweet/Vicious? I adore that first season, and would love to see more.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mameluke posted:

Also also, has any news come out about the renewal of Sweet/Vicious? I adore that first season, and would love to see more.

It's still on the bubble, even though it's been pulling lower numbers than the two comedies MTV just cancelled. A bad sign is that it was developed under a previous regime, so there aren't any personal incentives to keep it around. On top of that, the Viacom CEO is claiming that the new MTV president's marching orders is on solidifying its unscripted lineup, because apparently running four hour blocks of Ridiculousness and Catfish every day isn't solid enough.

That said, the critics are screaming loud enough for the new president to acknowledge it.

quote:

"Sweet/Vicious is a story we think is incredibly important and very timely and we're trying to figure out what the right way to relaunch that and figure out what the next iteration of that is. No decision has been made yet but we love the show and are trying to figure that out."

I mean they could start by actually promoting the loving thing and getting it on streaming platforms other than their own, but I'll take what I can get.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Season 1 of the X-files is an amazing study on Tell, Don't Show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

DivisionPost posted:

It's still on the bubble, even though it's been pulling lower numbers than the two comedies MTV just cancelled. A bad sign is that it was developed under a previous regime, so there aren't any personal incentives to keep it around. On top of that, the Viacom CEO is claiming that the new MTV president's marching orders is on solidifying its unscripted lineup, because apparently running four hour blocks of Ridiculousness and Catfish every day isn't solid enough.

They've also said the new Paramount channel (now Spike) is going to be the channel in the Viacom family for scripted shows.

• Locked thread