Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

The OC is better than all those shows you just said were good though?
Yeah but the fashion on Gossip Girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Mick has been renewed!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bagrada posted:

Anyone watch Designated Survivor? I saw the first 4 or 5, thought it was decent, and forgot all about it during the real election season. I guess it has been off since mid December, coming back on March 8th, which explains why I haven't seen ads or heard about it lately.

I liked it ok but they haven't aired any episodes since early december.

I really hate the family plots though. Oh no teen son is angsty but president bauer loves him and farrrrrrrrrt~

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

precision posted:

Bates Motel is amazing, it kicks into high gear around the end of season 2 and never lets up. Season 4 is flat-out phenomenal and the upcoming final season looks great.

The first episode aired already. poo poo is popped.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah but the fashion on Gossip Girl

That was a really pretty show. Besides dramas like The Tudors and Mad Men or weirder tv, like Westworld, Pushing Daisies, and Hannibal, I always found I could watch Gossip Girl and tune out the stupid bits just to watch pretty people wear nice things.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Maxwell Lord posted:

gently caress YEAH

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

DivisionPost posted:

gently caress YEAH

In a similar vein, everybody should watch the return of The Detour tonight.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DivisionPost posted:

gently caress YEAH

I agree with this post.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Did Always Sunny finally end?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

Did Always Sunny finally end?

It's been renewed through 2019. But it has short seasons so the cast has time to work on movies and TV shows, which is how Charlie Day has been in at least one movie a year for the past five years and how Kaitlyn Olsen has time for The Mick.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Vera Farmiga has been crushing every role she's taken since Touching Evil.

God drat that was a good show.

Holy poo poo Bruno Heller AND Ronald Moore both scripted it?

Is it Wise Guys good?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pretty much a B-level crime show. Take the main hero from Burn Notice and remove all his personality. The music is stellar though and done by Atticus Ross (Nine Inch Nails, The Social Network.)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It is definitely super weird and distracting that the BBC chose to cast an actor to play Terry Pratchett alongside the very real people talking about how sad they are that Terry Pratchett is dead.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

lelandjs posted:

It's been renewed through 2019. But it has short seasons so the cast has time to work on movies and TV shows, which is how Charlie Day has been in at least one movie a year for the past five years and how Kaitlyn Olsen has time for The Mick.

Individual episodes are also getting shorter to make more room for ads, starting last year there have been episodes in the 17-19 minute range and they can suffer for it because they chop out more bits to fit in that time.

It's still worth watching though, they're getting really weird with it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

THAT'S why she was so familiar! It's been a long time since I watched any always sunny.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Well I already gave up because the pilot was so goddamned horrible.

There are so many better long running genre shows from that era or recent that are better watches.

Supernatural
Stargate SG1 & Atlantis
Buffy/Angel
Alias
Fringe
Friday Night Lights
Farscape

etc. Very few of them made it to 5-6+ seasons but you generally get way less bad content. Supernatural, while a favorite of mine, really struggles in season 1, 6, 7,8 until they kind of found their feet again. It's in season 12 now and will keep getting made as long as the actors agree to keep playing the roles because its popular and the head of the CW loves it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Farscape is still awesome.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pentyne posted:

It's in season 12 now and will keep getting made as long as the actors agree to keep playing the roles because its popular and the head of the CW loves it.

Also they're likable people and smart dudes who know how good they've got it unlike Tom Welling who is neither.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Good Wife has better fashion than Gossip Girl. Maybe I'm getting old.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

precision posted:

It is definitely super weird and distracting that the BBC chose to cast an actor to play Terry Pratchett alongside the very real people talking about how sad they are that Terry Pratchett is dead.

Wait what the gently caress?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hearing that The Mick was renewed made me realize that I haven't been keeping up with it, so I went ahead and jumped back in, and sweet Jesus the ending of "The Snitch" was horrifying and awesome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shageletic posted:

Holy poo poo Bruno Heller AND Ronald Moore both scripted it?

Is it Wise Guys good?

I enjoyed the poo poo out of every episode and it's got young Bradley Cooper as a series regular! It was cut short too soon as it definitely had legs but the ratings were poo poo.

pentyne posted:

There are so many better long running genre shows from that era or recent that are better watches.

Supernatural
Stargate SG1 & Atlantis
Buffy/Angel
Alias
Fringe
Friday Night Lights
Farscape

etc. Very few of them made it to 5-6+ seasons but you generally get way less bad content. Supernatural, while a favorite of mine, really struggles in season 1, 6, 7,8 until they kind of found their feet again. It's in season 12 now and will keep getting made as long as the actors agree to keep playing the roles because its popular and the head of the CW loves it.

I have watched every one of those from beginning to end except for Supernatural. I was doing Smallville because there are large chunks of it I missed as it aired but oh god it's so bad.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Maxwell Lord posted:

Great news! Tonight's episode was fantastic too.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Why can't I post in the sopranos thread

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How the hell is there still a sopranos thread?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Rhyno posted:

What part of Don't Stop Believin' did you not understand?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Christ, I bet it's a forest fire.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

If people are going to rewatch/discover a show for the first time it may as well be an actual good one like The Sopranos.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

THAT'S why she was so familiar! It's been a long time since I watched any always sunny.

Must have been one hell of a long time for sure, her character in The Mick is basically Sweet Dee in an alternate universe where she got tired of the gang's poo poo and hosed off.

DivisionPost posted:

Hearing that The Mick was renewed made me realize that I haven't been keeping up with it, so I went ahead and jumped back in, and sweet Jesus the ending of "The Snitch" was horrifying and awesome.

I felt like that episode dragged a lot, but good goddamn was that ending payoff worth it.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 22, 2017

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

X-O posted:

Also they're likable people and smart dudes who know how good they've got it unlike Tom Welling who is neither.

I've heard so many anecdotes about Tom Welling being a piece of poo poo, but how much was real?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jesus. Tonight's episode of This is Us was so goddamn good.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

The Detour seems really funny and I think people are sleeping on it because it's on TBS? Also they have an admirable keenness for all kinds of bodily fluids and their service to comedy.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Honestly, it was a showcase for how awesome Sterling K Brown is and how he should be in everything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I don't know if I can handle more after the "Kevin Pearson is m emotional powerhouse" hour last week.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rhyno posted:

I enjoyed the poo poo out of every episode and it's got young Bradley Cooper as a series regular! It was cut short too soon as it definitely had legs but the ratings were poo poo.

I have watched every one of those from beginning to end except for Supernatural. I was doing Smallville because there are large chunks of it I missed as it aired but oh god it's so bad.

Well if its the one you didn't watch you should for sure check out Supernatural, Season 1 to 5. Its been said many times but those first five seasons are a well constructed arc of ever escalating crazy. Everything beyond that is up and down but the original story is way more worth a watch than anything else I've seen you name.

Because like, there's no reason to be like "what did I miss in Smallville?" The high points of that show where the Green Arrow, the Justice League, and the Justice Society and all those things are so incredibly redundant now that its all been redone better, mostly by CW*.

*Which, I don't care if you hate Arrow, Flash, Legends, and Supergirl. They're all better than Smallville.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is The Mick not mediocre? I heard it was mediocre, at least the first few episodes when reviewed by several publications.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Tonight's episode of Agents of SHIELD superheated my skeleton and now I ache all over.

Holy goddamn balls. Holy balls.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm doing it. I quit Quantico at the S1 mid-season break, but I'm going to jump back in with S2.

omg it's QUAN2CO how cool:suicide:

edit: Ugh, still Grey's Anatomy: Clandestine Service. I want a spy/thriller show and this has bits and pieces of it but it's like a $20 appetizer where there's a bunch of filler and not enough of the good stuff.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 22, 2017

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

feedmyleg posted:

Is The Mick not mediocre? I heard it was mediocre, at least the first few episodes when reviewed by several publications.

I'm just gonna go ahead and spoil the episode I was talking about earlier. So in case you don't know, The Mick is about Sweet Dee watching over her rich sister's spoiled-rear end children while she and her husband hide from the law. End of the day, it comes down to the same "we're a family and we have to stick together" message you'd expect from a premise like this, but it's short on heartwarming speeches and long on being rude as poo poo.

For instance, "The Snitch." Chip, the Eric Trump-rear end 8th grade middle son of the family, is caught with a dirty pic on his phone, one of many that was sent out to the members of his lacrosse team. Chip has to go in front of an honor council, headed by his older sister Sabrina, and tell them who else got pics and who's been distributing them. Sweet Dee's position on this is clear: nobody snitches in this family, and gently caress Sabrina for trying to get Chip to do so. Still, Sabrina keeps trying to persuade Chip to play ball while Chip buddies up with the lacrosse team and continues to jerk it to the pic he got; the girl has some kind of fish tattoo on her abdomen.

Long story short, they go in front of the honor council, Sweet Dee acts as Chip's advocate (which she preps for by marathoning a whole bunch of prep school movies), and when the principal calls for a break, Sabrina stands, her uniform rides up...revealing the fish tattoo Chip's been whacking off to all along.

That's a WEAK episode. I refuse to write this kind of synopsis for episodes like "The Balloon" or "The Master" because you just need to goddamn watch them.

tl;dr: No, The Mick is not mediocre. It's a bit of a diet version of Always Sunny, but God drat it can connect.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gonz posted:

Tonight's episode of Agents of SHIELD superheated my skeleton and now I ache all over.

Holy goddamn balls. Holy balls.

Best episode by a country mile.

• Locked thread