Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Doesn't really excuse the fact that you go out of your way to get to an item and it turns out to be garbage. If something is placed on a ledge or roof and you gotta pull gymnastics it should be something worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Doesn't really excuse the fact that you go out of your way to get to an item and it turns out to be garbage. If something is placed on a ledge or roof and you gotta pull gymnastics it should be something worth it.

Agreed, I just don't think the ones in Dark Souls are any better.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I pretty much ignored Titanfall 1. Now I'm playing TF2's SP and it's loving smooth, fast and drat fun. I'm on a slim and it has drat stable framerate and looks drat pretty.

Also got The Witcher 3 GOTY so I'm set for months now :getin:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Guillermus posted:

I pretty much ignored Titanfall 1. Now I'm playing TF2's SP and it's loving smooth, fast and drat fun. I'm on a slim and it has drat stable framerate and looks drat pretty.

Also got The Witcher 3 GOTY so I'm set for months now :getin:

You found the secret correct answer to your question! both

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I picked up Yakuza0 and Im a few hours inn.
Uh, this battle system is garbage, or I am, or both. It was fine for a couple of hours, not great, just fine, but now groups of people just show up and rush in and stunlock me. What am i missing?

E: I'm enjoying most aspects of the game, but these fights are draging poo poo down

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 22, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Attitude Indicator posted:

Uh, this battle system is garbage, or I am, or both. It was fine for a couple of hours, not great, just fine, but now groups of people just show up and rush in and stunlock me. What am i missing?

I eventually put it on easy because it was not fun being stunlocked by fast enemies, and I care more about everything else in the game besides combat.

Eventually you get a second character that has a WWWWWAAAAYYYYY better moveset

Eventually your money doesnt come from random fights so your can avoid them too. So turn it to easy and be a badass? I just beat Nioh Im and this fight system is painful compared to that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Shoren posted:

Everything is rendered in Catalyst, no animated cutscenes. If you enjoyed the first one at all then you'll enjoy this one. It's a lot quicker and once you get the knack for combat it's fun to jump all over the room beating down half a dozen guards. There's a ton of things to do, but the one thing that's missing is a time trial mode for the main story missions like the original had.

2nding this. The game is great if you were a fan of the first one, it's faster, prettier, with a better soundtrack, and a tighter control scheme.

It's probably not going to change your mind if you didn't like the original Mirror's Edge, tho, since it basically doubles down on the formula for that game instead of opening up the series to new fans.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I just know what I've seen from the GB guys playing it, but couldn't you use Rush style to auto dodge out of trouble and regroup?

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

I've played Yakuza 4 and most of 5, the combat tends to get bullshit towards the end.

Good games overall, they have that "Sega" feel to them that no one else can really replicate. Just don't think they are as fantastic as some think. Its hardly a GOTY contender.

Atomic Robo-Kid fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 22, 2017

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Did anyone pull the trigger on Warhammer Quest? Watching someone stream it and it looks kind of interesting.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Obsurveyor posted:

I just know what I've seen from the GB guys playing it, but couldn't you use Rush style to auto dodge out of trouble and regroup?

Early yeah, eventually you get surrounded and your dodges don't work then they hit you from behind. Maybe Im bad but it becomes tedious breaking out of stunlocks and breaking away from a group to get a few hits in before they surround you. I wish this game had the balls to make fights few and far between, interacting with the world is where the fun is. The fights are filler. Case in point when they give you the ability later to skip all of them besides plot fights.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I mean honestly the combat is just kind of janky in the Yakuza games and relies on the wow factor of heat moves to carry you through. You're there for the incredible amount of content to discover and enjoy, as well as the fantastically produced story. The combat is functional once you learn your way around, but far from gripping.

If you're having trouble with groups, switch into Beast mode and go ham. You'll mow down the numbers in no time. Then use Brawler to finish off individual enemies. Similarly, Majima's Slugger style is great for crowd control and thinning out numbers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bombadilillo posted:

Early yeah, eventually you get surrounded and your dodges don't work then they hit you from behind. Maybe Im bad but it becomes tedious breaking out of stunlocks and breaking away from a group to get a few hits in before they surround you. I wish this game had the balls to make fights few and far between, interacting with the world is where the fun is. The fights are filler. Case in point when they give you the ability later to skip all of them besides plot fights.

The fights are kind of a huge part of Yakuza, at least equal to the zany sidequest.

A core part, if you will.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Who ever had to farm blood vials in Bloodborne though? The game shits them at you constantly, and they're cheap enough to get a few dozen with your leftover echos after levelling. Hell, even if you're on an SL4 run and manage to run yourself dry, you get like a dozen for a two minute run through central yharnam.

I did.

I did quite a few lecture hall bashes to collect souls to buy vials for endgame boss runs.

In Nioh I never felt like I was ever low on elixirs. I mean, I was definitely hunting for kodama since those were the only unique incentives for exploring. But even with that, I think it had more to do with the short distance between shrines and lethality of combat. I never got the feeling I got all the time in Bloodborne where I felt stranded far away from the lantern I came from but still far from the next safe spot, with no more vials. That happened all the time to me. (I'm not saying that's bad, it's just different). With Nioh combat felt so much more lethal that it was so much quicker, and either I got out with no damage, or I got completely wrecked in two seconds, and elixirs were just there to top off the rare times it was in between, so having a regenerating minimum of three never felt like too little

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Obsurveyor posted:

If there is an auto dodge I've yet to unlock it, but yeah Rush mode makes you more agile and seems to be the best bet.
I'm just surprised that a core component of a 10 year going and well received franchise is this poor.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

For Kiryu, usually the core style or Beast style has the long looping punches that are enough to knock away most people. I never had a problem with crowds, really. You can equip weapons to help out. Beast mode's use of weapons automatically helps a lot, as does its Heat move wherein you swing around an enemy to hit everyone around you. Rush mode is more or less for individual fights.

Majima has Slugger and Breaker which are brilliant for crowdcontrol, Breaker especially.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Early yeah, eventually you get surrounded and your dodges don't work then they hit you from behind. Maybe Im bad but it becomes tedious breaking out of stunlocks and breaking away from a group to get a few hits in before they surround you.

Unequip the Charismatic Autobiography.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

2nding this. The game is great if you were a fan of the first one, it's faster, prettier, with a better soundtrack, and a tighter control scheme.

It's probably not going to change your mind if you didn't like the original Mirror's Edge, tho, since it basically doubles down on the formula for that game instead of opening up the series to new fans.

I think the original's soundtrack is better, tbh. It's more focused and consistently, good. Plus, Still Alive is better than Warning Call. I still like Catalyst's soundtrack, but it mean meanders too much as a side effect of the open world and how the music changes based on your motion. Still, running around is such a joy in Catalyst.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

If there is an auto dodge I've yet to unlock it, but yeah Rush mode makes you more agile and seems to be the best bet.
I'm just surprised that a core component of a 10 year going and well received franchise is this poor.

How far in the story are you? Have you done upgrades to your fighting stances?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I went back and looked, I guess it's not automatic(thought you held a button). I was thinking about the pressing X to quickstep out of the way move.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Unequip the Charismatic Autobiography.

Quoting this because enemies in Yakuza Games attack like snails, but not if all of them are enraged and stun lock the poo poo out of you due to items you didn't read.

Rush is probably the worst style Kiryu has, all the other styles end random fights in under 5 seconds, Beast even faster if there is good pickups (bikes)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shoren posted:

Plus, Still Alive is better than Warning Call.

I'll come clean, I was thinking "what the hell does Portal have to do with any of this"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man I forgot about that Mirrors Edge song. I really loved that for approximately 30 seconds.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Morby posted:

How far in the story are you? Have you done upgrades to your fighting stances?

chapter 2. Upgraded most of the stuff that's below 30 mill.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Quoting this because enemies in Yakuza Games attack like snails, but not if all of them are enraged and stun lock the poo poo out of you due to items you didn't read.

Guilty. I just looked at the stats and not the description.

E: wow, that's a huge difference, wth

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

You are welcome, do stock up for boss fights and maybe don't bother with Mr. Shakedown in a fair fight. You'll see why when he's introduced.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I've met Mr. Shakedown and i avoid him like the plague.
But, yeah, it was that item that was giving me so much trouble and things seems to have gone back to manageable.
Still disappointed in the combat though. Everything else is groovy. Favorite part so far was Main character bad rear end yelling at a high school girl for kink-shaming.

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 22, 2017

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

You are welcome, do stock up for boss fights and maybe don't bother with Mr. Shakedown in a fair fight. You'll see why when he's introduced.

Yeah, this. I'm in chapter 7 and I haven't felt quite confident enough to take him on just yet.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I've met Mr. Shakedown and i avoid him like the plague.

So, you can research Zap Guns from chapter 3 onwards, and get them with Kiryu. Mr Shakedown multiplies money and never loses it. Buy guns, lose intentionally, zap him to death, double your cash. He also sleeps sometimes, which lets you steal money with the world's most easiest QTE.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Mr. Shakedown's a cakewalk to fight, he's just tedious. For Kiryu, keep jabbing at him with Rush to build up Heat and then switch to Brawl to smash poo poo over his head with Heat attacks when he's recovering from his charge attack. For Majima, stock up on knives and alternate between building Heat with Thug Style and using the knife's Heat Attack.

For both of them, buy lots and lots of Lightning Shotguns when they're available and make billions of no-effort yen and laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh. Shakedown is ridiculously vulnerable to electricity. Three shots from one of those guns will take off nearly a whole life bar. Kiryu has an unmarked weapons shop near the Empty Lot that I really wish I'd actually found in my game.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I feel like the 10 minute + fights once he has purple health are just never worth the time,if you play it no risk.

Presteign
Aug 8, 2004
consent is overrated

Obsurveyor posted:

You have to explicitly farm them in Nioh depending on RNG/bonus.
What, no. In Nioh you automatically get some for free if you don't have any in storage. It's Bloodborne that you have to farm for more if you run out.

How can you think the exact opposite of reality?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Presteign posted:

What, no. In Nioh you automatically get some for free if you don't have any in storage. It's Bloodborne that you have to farm for more if you run out.

Yeah, free elixirs depending on number of Kodama per region, sense Kodama on Items, no issues. I never have elixir on stock, never had to farm a single one.

Health back on kills on a weapon is also hilarious for playing levels.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Shoren posted:

I think the original's soundtrack is better, tbh. It's more focused and consistently, good. Plus, Still Alive is better than Warning Call. I still like Catalyst's soundtrack, but it mean meanders too much as a side effect of the open world and how the music changes based on your motion. Still, running around is such a joy in Catalyst.

Still Alive is better as a credits theme, absolutely, and there are a few really memorable beats in that first game...but listening to both soundtracks outside of the framework of the games themselves it's readily apparent how phoned-in ME1's soundtrack is compared to ME:C. I listened to ME:C's soundtrack for most of the last year during almost every life activity.

The good tracks in the original game are about 1-2 minutes long each, and are nearly all bookended with unremarkable hard driving 'escape' tracks that don't match the level theme. The soundtrack for ME:C is 5 hours long, no cut and paste repeats. The tracks used for story missions are complete themes that run anywhere from 10-25 minutes in length and have a fully fleshed out mood and arc that fits with the levels but also works as actual music.

For example, I'll cite the music from each game's final level, conveniently both are called The Shard. ME:C's soundtrack makes the jump from "these are cool, moody, chiptunes on infinite repeat" of the first game to "these are fully realized suites of electronic music that someone put an incredible amount of effort into."

And they are awesome.

So that's my reason why the ME:C soundtrack is way, way better. And now I'll gently caress off. :)

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 22, 2017

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Presteign posted:

It's been awhile since I played and maybe I'm remembering wrong, still on the first real mission of the game and I thought I quit after losing to the boss again because I didn't want to go farming more elixirs. Maybe I never checked after that loss. :shobon:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I bought Catalyst for £8 before Christmas and still haven't played it :/

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I feel like the 10 minute + fights once he has purple health are just never worth the time,if you play it no risk.

If you beat him once at that point you're set for life, so it's not too bad. Especially if you have the Encounter Tracker, since his life bar is semi-persistent across encounters if you go find him right away.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

I bought Catalyst for £8 before Christmas and still haven't played it :/

Turn 'Runner Vision' to classic when you do, and slide that FOV up a bit!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Obsurveyor posted:

It's been awhile since I played and maybe I'm remembering wrong, still on the first real mission of the game and I thought I quit after losing to the boss again because I didn't want to go farming more elixirs. Maybe I never checked after that loss. :shobon:

way I remember it from the beta is that you always get a minimum amount of elixirs back from the shrines but can stock up more by farming or w/e. bloodborne doesn't give you anything, so once you're at zero of an item, well... you're at zero

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

If you beat him once at that point you're set for life, so it's not too bad. Especially if you have the Encounter Tracker, since his life bar is semi-persistent across encounters if you go find him right away.

True. He is a newbie trap until you realise that your money is super safe with him, tho. Better than a bank, those guys.

^^
You get three elixirs minimum for resurrecting, +an additional number on found Kodama per region. So the first level of each region gives you less free heals, but once you have sense Kodama, collecting them in an empty or almost cleared level is easy and buffs all following missions In that region.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

Obsurveyor posted:

You always get 3 min elixirs back from the shrine with +1 per 5 Kodama you find I believe.

There is never a time where you will respawn after death and not have elixir to my knowledge, I actually was afraid of this at first and spent SO long going thru to the 1st boss while only using an elixir if I had more than 3 so I wouldn't run out....