Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I don't want any of that poo poo except the dual zone climate control. MY GIRLFRIEND likes to keep her side of the car at 75.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Holy gently caress I feel retarded asking this but gently caress it I want to know:

Do you have to recalibrate the speedometer when you change wheel size?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Usually you can't recalibrate it in most cars. Maybe with VCDS it's possible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

For a while on VWs there was a setting where you could just select +1 / -1 your diameter and it would recalibrate your spedometer.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I almost bought a leftover 2016 Fiesta Titanium with the dual clutch last night... Not hot, but pretty (in Kona Blue with the light interior), comfortable and no shifting.
Ford's dual clutch is not exactly known for being reliable or smooth. I would recommend avoiding it.

fyodor posted:

Do you have to recalibrate the speedometer when you change wheel size?
If the diameter of the tire changed significantly, the speedometer will be off and should ideally be recalibrated if possible. Changing wheel size doesn't necessarily mean any meaningful change in diameter, for example my 195/55R15 snow tires are 0.4% smaller than my OEM 205/40R17s. Over the course of a mile the difference doesn't even make up a single complete revolution of the wheel, so the impact on the speedometer is negligible.

Here's a calculator, click on the "Tire Size Comparison" tab and enter the OEM size plus your new size.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

As a general rule on a car you probably shouldn't ever be changing the tire diameter enough to be off by more than 1-2 MPH, this is more of a problem for trucks with off-road tires and the various forms of the low rider scene where stupidly large or stupidly small wheels are desired.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

wolrah posted:

Ford's dual clutch is not exactly known for being reliable or smooth. I would recommend avoiding it.

If the diameter of the tire changed significantly, the speedometer will be off and should ideally be recalibrated if possible. Changing wheel size doesn't necessarily mean any meaningful change in diameter, for example my 195/55R15 snow tires are 0.4% smaller than my OEM 205/40R17s. Over the course of a mile the difference doesn't even make up a single complete revolution of the wheel, so the impact on the speedometer is negligible.

Here's a calculator, click on the "Tire Size Comparison" tab and enter the OEM size plus your new size.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

As a general rule on a car you probably shouldn't ever be changing the tire diameter enough to be off by more than 1-2 MPH, this is more of a problem for trucks with off-road tires and the various forms of the low rider scene where stupidly large or stupidly small wheels are desired.

Thank you!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
http://www.willtheyfit.com/

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't want any of that poo poo except the dual zone climate control. MY GIRLFRIEND likes to keep her side of the car at 75.

Turn her seat heater on and tell her to shut up :p

The only thing I don't like about the seats in mine is that there's no drat lumbar support in it. That and I'd prefer cloth.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Estimate on my re-repairs is "over $2000". That's one expensive rear end GTI that is loving worthless.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

wolrah posted:

I've done a lot of research on that, and have had the opportunity to get some seat time in a few different cars with this transmission. It's not bad if you understand how it works, have all the latest updates done, and have replaced the roll restrictor (dogbone thing) with something stiffer. When we replaced the mount in my friend's Focus, the transmission went from dimwitted and unsmooth to actually quite nice.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

fknlo posted:

Estimate on my re-repairs is "over $2000". That's one expensive rear end GTI that is loving worthless.
Not necessarily. Over the course of its short 3 year life my MazdaSpeed3 had sustained like $6k in damage (including a bent frame) before I totalled it, and I received $3k less than I paid for it from my insurance, with 50k miles on the odometer.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 23, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

Turn her seat heater on and tell her to shut up :p

The only thing I don't like about the seats in mine is that there's no drat lumbar support in it. That and I'd prefer cloth.

The advantage of the Focus is that she can turn her seat heater up AND keep her side at 75 while I keep mine at 69 (lol)

I would prefer cloth too. Heated cloth is the best.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

while I keep mine at 69 (lol)

I'm glad I'm not the only person who does this.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Nice

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
In a car as small as a GTI does dual zone even actually do anything?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GutBomb posted:

In a car as small as a GTI does dual zone even actually do anything?

yes

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

fknlo posted:

Is it just paint and cosmetic? Did you figure out why your roof rack didn't line up the same way it did before the accident?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

VCDS coding today -

removed the alarm if you open the drivers door with the car on
Removed seatbelt chime, for the 100 ft from the work gate to my spot
Added brake light to the rear turn signals on an alternating basis
Comfort open/close for windows and sunroof
Auto rain close
Passenger mirror dips when reversing
Fogs on with high beams
Soundaktor to 0%
Retain heated seat settings

Forgot to add 1 more blink for the comfort indicator which I'll do tomorrow.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Is it just paint and cosmetic? Did you figure out why your roof rack didn't line up the same way it did before the accident?

Need a new windshield and steering wheel, the rest should just be paint and cosmetic. Haven't had a chance to play with the roof rack any more to see if I can get it to line up properly. I didn't have it on before the accident, so no point of reference there.

There's also a dark spot in the headlight pattern that shouldn't be there. No clue what would be causing that though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I've done a lot of research on that, and have had the opportunity to get some seat time in a few different cars with this transmission. It's not bad if you understand how it works, have all the latest updates done, and have replaced the roll restrictor (dogbone thing) with something stiffer. When we replaced the mount in my friend's Focus, the transmission went from dimwitted and unsmooth to actually quite nice.

Two of my friends used to have Focuses with the Powershift trans. One lemon lawed theirs over constant transmission issues, the other sold theirs after having the transmission fixed under warranty. There are ongoing class action lawsuits about their poor performance and reliability.

I've driven the latter of the two and I also have a lot of seat time in a Mk5 GTI with the DSG as a comparison point for a properly done DCT. It was using the stock RMM and I can certainly see how that could affect things (a replacement RMM is the first mechanical mod I intend to do on my FiST), but it didn't even feel like it was trying to be smooth. Maybe the software's gotten better but it's still a dry clutch design and across the market those tend to be not so good. All the good ones are wet clutch setups. Wet clutches allow for smoother operation because they tolerate extended slip where dry clutches don't.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Oh man so the stock Focus RMM doesn't even really work with the non-ST Focii?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

Need a new windshield and steering wheel, the rest should just be paint and cosmetic. Haven't had a chance to play with the roof rack any more to see if I can get it to line up properly. I didn't have it on before the accident, so no point of reference there.

There's also a dark spot in the headlight pattern that shouldn't be there. No clue what would be causing that though.

Ya, i really lucked out on finding a good shop the first time some fuckhead hit my car out here.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

wolrah posted:

Two of my friends used to have Focuses with the Powershift trans. One lemon lawed theirs over constant transmission issues, the other sold theirs after having the transmission fixed under warranty. There are ongoing class action lawsuits about their poor performance and reliability.

I've driven the latter of the two and I also have a lot of seat time in a Mk5 GTI with the DSG as a comparison point for a properly done DCT. It was using the stock RMM and I can certainly see how that could affect things (a replacement RMM is the first mechanical mod I intend to do on my FiST), but it didn't even feel like it was trying to be smooth. Maybe the software's gotten better but it's still a dry clutch design and across the market those tend to be not so good. All the good ones are wet clutch setups. Wet clutches allow for smoother operation because they tolerate extended slip where dry clutches don't.

You're very correct that it isn't nearly as smooth as a wet clutch DCT, but with the upgraded mount it is snappy and satisfying. It'll never be a torque converter automatic or wet dual clutch, but the mount really does cause it to go from 'unacceptable awful I can't believe they are still using this after 6 years in production' to 'pretty good but not perfect'. I was shocked at the difference it made.

I feel like I'm hand-waving away all the documented issues (and boy oh boy there are a lot of them), and I more or less am. Aside from the mostly-resolved-now issues with seals and transmission controllers failing, and the craptacularly soft mounts, I think most complaints are due to people not understanding how it works and how they need to drive differently. I will say, I'm shocked Ford has stuck with it this long in the US with how badly the things work out of the box even when functioning properly.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Oh man so the stock Focus RMM doesn't even really work with the non-ST Focii?

I wasn't a fan. The Mazdaspeed3 OEM mount is a pretty good upgrade for the 1.0 cars (3 cyl vibration!) and the 4-cyl cars like the eFocus RMM.

Semi-related: I have a COBB Focus RMM sitting on my floor that I need to sell. Anyone want to buy?

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 23, 2017

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I wasn't a fan. The Mazdaspeed3 OEM mount is a pretty good upgrade for the 1.0 cars (3 cyl vibration!) and the 4-cyl cars like the eFocus RMM.

Semi-related: I have a COBB Focus RMM sitting on my floor that I need to sell. Anyone want to buy?

That should fit a Focus RS, right? Is it new in box? If so let me know what you want for it.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
The Veloster dct is just as bad or worse. It would go into high temp situation and not engage gears and other weird things regularly. They released a software update after three years but still not fully resolved. VW is probably only dsg I'd recommend on a car I could afford

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Huge_Midget posted:

That should fit a Focus RS, right? Is it new in box? If so let me know what you want for it.

It says it does on their site. http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/...CFUaNfgodSrEJFg

It isn't new in box but who cares? I bought it used and it was in basically perfect condition, I used it for approximately 30 seconds (started it on the lift and decided NOPE) and removed it.

Made a posting in the marketplace thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515402&pagenumber=21#post469699854

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

RIP Paul Walker posted:

It says it does on their site. http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/...CFUaNfgodSrEJFg

It isn't new in box but who cares? I bought it used and it was in basically perfect condition, I used it for approximately 30 seconds (started it on the lift and decided NOPE) and removed it.

Made a posting in the marketplace thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515402&pagenumber=21#post469699854

Why did you decide not to use it? Too much vibration? Got any pics?

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Cobb is supposed to be one of the most vibrate-y of the RMMs for the FoST. I ordered a CP-E one for mine that's supposed to be a good balance between reducing torque twist and in-car vibrations, most people recommend it.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Huge_Midget posted:

Why did you decide not to use it? Too much vibration? Got any pics?

Yeah, I don't think it would be bad on a 4-cyl but on my 3-cyl it was unbearable.

I don't have any pics and won't be able to get them until late this evening. It looks exactly as you'd expect :)

Night Danger Moose posted:

Cobb is supposed to be one of the most vibrate-y of the RMMs for the FoST.

I can believe that, based on how much more vibration there was versus the eFocus mount.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Christobevii3 posted:

The Veloster dct is just as bad or worse. It would go into high temp situation and not engage gears and other weird things regularly. They released a software update after three years but still not fully resolved. VW is probably only dsg I'd recommend on a car I could afford

The VW 7 speed in the low powered models is pretty awful and has its own set of reliability issues. It's especially bad on the Polo GTI which is a shame because it absolutely ruins an otherwise nice little car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Problem: your auto sucks

Solution: manual 4 lyfe

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Mariana Horchata posted:

got 15k mi on my FiST now and the rear brakes are already due and down to 3-4mm (and fronts both at 6mm), is this normal?

I posted this last August and obviously was kind of skeptical so I just grabbed a set of pads/rotors to have ready in case they really were in need of replacement and kept driving (without problem, for another 5k miles). Two weeks ago it finally began snowing in MA so I figured if I would be putting the snow tires and wheels on I might as well take care of the rear brakes as well since no doubt they'd certainly be close to 100% spent given what I was told.

:wrong:

I eyeballed them and they were just about the same as the front pads with at least 6-8mm left all around. :rollseyes:

And just like that all the trust I had in that dealership where I had bought the car and had been bringing it for oil changes/warrantied service (and who I had been quite satisfied with) suddenly went up in smoke.

Also earlier this morning I remembered to do some reading to see if Ford had gotten their act together regarding the update on the '16 models with Sync3 (enabling Android Auto) that's been promised almost since buying the car over a year ago, and apparently it finally is...but I'll be taking care of that myself instead :filez:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Like I know we've been at the point where autos are better at shifting than people for quite a while but I still feel like really cheap autos just suck rear end

Especially CVTs but that's a really a whole other thing. (every. single. rental. car.)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The trouble with that is many manufacturers are so confident in their autos that they don't even offer a manual anymore.

The aforementioned Polo GTI is auto only here and my manual Mazda 3 was the only model available (base 2.5 which fortunately was the one I wanted anyway). Even the Corolla has only a token manual that is in practice priced above the auto as it's special order.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Christobevii3 posted:

I have one as a rental right now and it's dreadful. The car itself isn't great either, the steering manages the concurrent trick of being overly weighted and providing no feedback from the road at all. The third door is clever but the rearward visibility is abysmal.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Wait until those stock tires hit rain. I threw mine out after 1000 miles. Steering is weird. They programmed too light on nav and turbo and heavier in the rally and r spec.

Then the stock alignment being similar to a minivans didn't help but limits torque steer to almost nothing. A little less offset in the front and some camber would fix the feel.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
New FiST to have a 1.5L 3 cylinder engine

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Huh, had no idea that was a thing. I have the OEM mount I pulled from my 08.5 pretty much when it was new if anyone wants it.

I went with the Street Unit mount at the time because the CP-E's were impossible to find. I was really happy with it once broken in. A tiny bit of vibration at idle with the A/C on, but otherwise great.

e: this guy: http://www.streetunit.com/MAZDASPEED_3_Motor_Mount_p/sum3amm.htm

opengl fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 24, 2017

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

opengl128 posted:

Huh, had no idea that was a thing. I have the OEM mount I pulled from my 08.5 pretty much when it was new if anyone wants it.

I went with the Street Unit mount at the time because the CP-E's were impossible to find. I was really happy with it once broken in. A tiny bit of vibration at idle with the A/C on, but otherwise great.

e: this guy: http://www.streetunit.com/MAZDASPEED_3_Motor_Mount_p/sum3amm.htm

Wound up going with the RMM Mountune developed for the FoST in mine. Pretty happy with it- same deal with the vibes; you can only really notice them at idle with the compressor running. Massive upgrade over the original lovely RMM.

With that, a short shift plate, a weighted shift knob, and a pedal spacer the car feels great. Excited to put some fresh summer tires on it towards the end of the summer this year or at the start of next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

I wish we got the 3 door fiesta in the states. Or the focus wagon. :smith: