Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

enraged_camel posted:

I had actually completely forgotten that it was Valentine's Day. I usually do a pretty good job of tuning that stuff out.

Supergirl though had to shove it down my throat, which I did not appreciate. I would have been OK with it if it was a passing mention or a side plot, but literally the entire episode was about people romancing each other in all sorts of cringe-worthy, cliché ways and I found it quite unbearable.

You're a total joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Oh look, the TV/IV police is once again dictating how shows must be watched and what elements have to be enjoyed. Why am I not surprised...

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

enraged_camel posted:

I had actually completely forgotten that it was Valentine's Day. I usually do a pretty good job of tuning that stuff out.

Supergirl though had to shove it down my throat, which I did not appreciate. I would have been OK with it if it was a passing mention or a side plot, but literally the entire episode was about people romancing each other in all sorts of cringe-worthy, cliché ways and I found it quite unbearable.

lol

enraged_camel posted:

Oh look, the TV/IV police is once again dictating how shows must be watched and what elements have to be enjoyed. Why am I not surprised...

Nope. Enjoy it however you want. Just don't expect Something Awful to quietly respect your views. I think it's pretty funny that you are doubling down on this.
Like, Alex and Maggie is a huge, gigantic, massive plot point. Alex realizing who she is, Maggie letting go of her past, the two of them experiencing something wonderful for maybe the first time. I don't know what enjoyment you get out of the show without the relationship drama, to be honest. It's on the CW; that's the point. Oliver is sleeping with the reporter who is digging into his past and has discovered the Bratva connection and just relaized he's actually the Arrow. Barry and Iris have a no-chemistry relationship that is in danger because of some possible future where Savatar murders Iris. And on Legends, bland white guy number two slept with lady-from-the-30s. So. Yeah.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 22, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

Nope. Enjoy it however you want. Just don't expect Something Awful to quietly respect your views. I think it's pretty funny that you are doubling down on this.
Like, Alex and Maggie is a huge, gigantic, massive plot point. Alex realizing who she is, Maggie letting go of her past, the two of them experiencing something wonderful for maybe the first time.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with romance plots. What I do have a problem is when an entire episode is filled with them. Not sure why this is a controversial opinion. Yeah, it was Valentines Day. But did it ever occur to you that some people watch television as a form of escapism?

After the retarded Winn-James-Kara love triangle at the beginning of the first season, the show actually made a lot of improvements in the romance department to the point where it now explores fairly mature subtopics like Alex realizing she is into girls, Kara having to accept that she can't call dibs on Alex's time and attention whenever she wants, Jon developing feelings for someone whose race genocided his own. All that stuff is very interesting to watch.

This episode was just awful though, because the main plot point was an extremely cliche romance plot where the "villain" tries really really hard to "win over" Kara's love, and there is once again a love triangle, this time between Myx, Mon El and Kara. The whole "two potential suitors fighting over a girl" thing is just dumb as hell and I had hoped the show had moved beyond that.

quote:

I don't know what enjoyment you get out of the show without the relationship drama, to be honest. It's on the CW; that's the point.

I'm not certain the network has anything to do with anything. Last year it was on the CBS, and had lovely romance there too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Like I said, I don't have a problem with romance plots. What I do have a problem is when an entire episode is filled with them. Not sure why this is a controversial opinion. Yeah, it was Valentines Day. But did it ever occur to you that some people watch television as a form of escapism?

After the retarded Winn-James-Kara love triangle at the beginning of the first season, the show actually made a lot of improvements in the romance department to the point where it now explores fairly mature subtopics like Alex realizing she is into girls, Kara having to accept that she can't call dibs on Alex's time and attention whenever she wants, Jon developing feelings for someone whose race genocided his own. All that stuff is very interesting to watch.

This episode was just awful though, because the main plot point was an extremely cliche romance plot where the "villain" tries really really hard to "win over" Kara's love, and there is once again a love triangle, this time between Myx, Mon El and Kara. The whole "two potential suitors fighting over a girl" thing is just dumb as hell and I had hoped the show had moved beyond that.

I'm not certain the network has anything to do with anything. Last year it was on the CBS, and had lovely romance there too.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

enraged_camel posted:

Counterpoint: it was adorable.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah. Mon-El's antics were some of the best parts about that episode. Chris Wood has a surprising gift for comedy and I can't wait to see what he's gonna do in the musical crossover next month.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

enraged_camel posted:

:reddit:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah. Mon-El's antics were some of the best parts about that episode. Chris Wood has a surprising gift for comedy and I can't wait to see what he's gonna do in the musical crossover next month.

Indeed. The argument scene between him and Kara was like screwball comedy done well. Their whole relationship has been like that, to be honest.

I might watch the episode again.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I hope next episode opens up with tiny superman arriving unannounced in Kara's apartment to ask what the hell happened to the fortress

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lolin at the guy whos super mad a CW show had an episode devoted to valentines day. like wtf??? hahahahahahahahahahaha

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Azhais posted:

I hope next episode opens up with tiny superman arriving unannounced in Kara's apartment to ask what the hell happened to the fortress

Nothing happened to it. When Mxy vanished all the damage was undone.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not super into the Kara/Mon El relationship but I'll change my mind if they turn out to be one of those couples who always break into public bickering. Then I'll be shipping them forever, because they're hilarious when they do that.

bull3964 posted:

I'm a little confused how we went from super underground alien bar to Winn being able to go to a normal restaurant with an alien.

I mean, Earth people obviously know aliens exist, but I thought the idea of lots of alien refugees was still being kept under wraps by the DEO.

I just feel like I missed a story beat somewhere when aliens just wondering around in public was a thing. I know he was getting a lot of stares in the restaurant, but no one was freaking out "OMG ALIEN CALL SUPERGIRL!"

I assume that there's been a kind of behind the scenes general movement towards alien acceptance. The show has hit it broadly with the Cadmus stuff and Presidential rights bill episode. Between Supergirl becoming the beloved hero of National City and the general political movements I assume that National City has become one of the more tolerant cities to aliens.

Which is to say that I thought the obvious (not even) subtext of the Wynn storyline was that his date expected he was just looking for a thrill and wouldn't risk the social stigmas of dating her publicly, and there's probably quite a few people in that restaurant who were staring at her in disgust but Wynn simply didn't care about them.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I enjoy romances on TV, I just don't like Kara and Mon-El here.

Maggie and Alex's plot was good precisely because it was understated, it was forthright, it knew what it wanted to do and did it; setup, conflict, resolution. Wham, bam, thank you ma'ams.

Kara and Mon-El are getting too convoluted for me. Sometimes they like each other. Sometimes they don't like each other. Sometimes he likes her but she doesn't like him. Sometimes she likes him but he doesn't like her. Sometimes all this get swapped in a matter of minutes. Waah, feelings are so confusing! On and on with inflating the relationship then deflating it and then purple-prosing it on her apartment couch at the end of like three episodes straight now. It's starting to remind me of the way they handled James' relationship with her last year in how needlessly twisted and drawn-out it was for a whole season, and don't think even that was ever as tangled as this.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Azhais posted:

It will never cease to amaze me how the internet thinks 6ft tall Tyler Hoechlin is "tiny" somehow :allears:

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I have watched these DC-CW shows from the beginning and this Kara- Mon'el relationship is almost Oliver felicity levels of groan inducing. Which is a shame because I actually like mon'el and Kara as characters and I don't mind the relationship stuff in the other shows. I think it's even more egregious since we know that something will happen when those aliens arrive. I liked the luthors episode a lot but this relationship stuff is really dragging this 2nd half of the season down and makes it feel like 90% of the show.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Comparison with Olicity is Godwin's Law for TV relationships.

I'm not a fan of KaraMel either, but come on.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not "into" Kara/Mon but I'm not sure I ever thought it (or Oliver/Felicity) was "egregious."

Like, its just two perfectly likable characters in a relationship that I'm not personally invested in.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I'm not that bothered by it and I exaggerated but I think it's more representative of I just don't like this season as much as the first one.

Hopefully with Cadmus back things will get better or I'm just getting sick of cw romance stuff I guess.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I think Benoist and Wood have pretty good chemistry. The romance is a bit meh though, at least thus far. I think the reason a lot of people aren't excited by it is because it removes a lot of the romantic tension from their friendship. That tension is why the whole Felicity & Oliver thing worked so well before it actually became a thing. Felicity had a crush on him, Oliver knew it because she was always so awkward and bumbly about it, and it was great comic relief (especially because Rickards played the part remarkably well). Then they hooked up and things went downhill fast, ending up as one of the worst, most cringe-worthy romances in CW history.

While I don't think Supergirl and Mon El will be anywhere near as bad, it's also full of pitfalls the writers can find themselves in if they aren't careful.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think the only reason we're all so cold on Kara/Mon is that the second he showed up it was pretty obvious he was there to be a love interest and he's never really established much character beyond that.

But he's still a nice enough guy.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

But he's still a nice enough guy.

Yeah, I'm really glad they didn't make him the stereotypical frat guy douchebag like it was hinted at some point. He clearly has his differences with Kara, but that's a good thing.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It'll all come to a head in a handful of episodes, when she finds out he's now king of dead planet, that's not really dead.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I am angry on the internet about a show! nah not really, this was a great take on Mxyzsptlk

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, I'm really glad they didn't make him the stereotypical frat guy douchebag like it was hinted at some point. He clearly has his differences with Kara, but that's a good thing.

But he is the stereotypical frat guy who's changing ~for love~.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Chokes McGee posted:

I am angry on the internet about a show! nah not really, this was a great take on Mxyzsptlk

Also I finally found out exactly how you're supposed to pronounce that name.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I assume that there's been a kind of behind the scenes general movement towards alien acceptance. The show has hit it broadly with the Cadmus stuff and Presidential rights bill episode. Between Supergirl becoming the beloved hero of National City and the general political movements I assume that National City has become one of the more tolerant cities to aliens.

Which is to say that I thought the obvious (not even) subtext of the Wynn storyline was that his date expected he was just looking for a thrill and wouldn't risk the social stigmas of dating her publicly, and there's probably quite a few people in that restaurant who were staring at her in disgust but Wynn simply didn't care about them.
I kind of wish the show further delved into the obvious difference between Kryptonians and other alien races -- namely, that the Kryptonians (and Mon-El) can pass for human -- even if only in some background character on camera admitting that that's why they like Superman and Supergirl so much. Beyond that though a lot of the "serves the plot of the week" tidbits seem like they'd be hella interesting were they taken seriously and elaborated on, otherwise it just feels like a bunch of goodies left on the table.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

WarLocke posted:

Gilbert Gottfried already showed you how to pronounce it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWuVMmL8Q_8

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

WarLocke posted:

They actually did both versions: DCAU (mix-yes-spit-lick) and the "official" version (mix-yes-spittle-ick).

I do like how the writers took one look at his unsummon and went "nah we're writing that."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
KILL-TIP-SKI-ZIM

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Chokes McGee posted:

They actually did both versions: DCAU (mix-yes-spit-lick) and the "official" version (mix-yes-spittle-ick).

It was like how Arrow used both pronunciations of Ra's

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Senerio posted:

Gilbert Gottfried already showed you how to pronounce it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWuVMmL8Q_8

I haven't seen S:TAS in years and that Yes album joke made me crack up.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

After seeing Mr. Mxyzsptlk portrayed as a suave suitor trying to woo Supergirl, I told my roommate how cool it would be if the show got Joe Mangienello to play Lobo as the bad boy equivalent.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

howe_sam posted:

It was like how Arrow used both pronunciations of Ra's

*Barrowman smashes through ceilings of the forums* I'M PROUNCED RAH'S-Al-GOOL

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

*Barrowman smashes through ceilings of the forums* I'M PROUNCED RAH'S-Al-GOOL

"I used to be pronounced RAYSH-al-Ghul"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I want some guy then to come in and go "I'm Roger Gool".

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

GreenNight posted:

I want some guy then to come in and go "I'm Roger Gool".

"I take it we never got around to getting the security fixed?"

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

McSpanky posted:

"I used to be pronounced RAYSH-al-Ghul"

Raja Ghoul?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Chortles posted:

I kind of wish the show further delved into the obvious difference between Kryptonians and other alien races -- namely, that the Kryptonians (and Mon-El) can pass for human -- even if only in some background character on camera admitting that that's why they like Superman and Supergirl so much. Beyond that though a lot of the "serves the plot of the week" tidbits seem like they'd be hella interesting were they taken seriously and elaborated on, otherwise it just feels like a bunch of goodies left on the table.

They touched on it very lightly with J'onn struggling with showing his Martian form after decades of hiding as a human. But yeah, it would be interesting to have them really touch on the probably obvious bigotry towards aliens who look like aliens and how Kara and Mon have it comparatively easy. And it was nice that Wynn never seemed to hesitate at dating the alien who looked different since he had already had a crush on an alien who looked human. He got past whatever bias he might have had nice and easy, but the way they did that restaurant scene I could see it coming up later with this relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

But yeah, it would be interesting to have them really touch on the probably obvious bigotry towards aliens who look like aliens and how Kara and Mon have it comparatively easy.
Not that I expect the show to make the to-me obvious parallel with passing...

Alternately or in conjunction, if it were publicly known/claimed that Superman had lived on Earth practically his whole life whereas Supergirl had arrived later in life, I could also see someone admitting that they relate to Superman over Supergirl because it's easier to mentally frame the former as "a human with powers" than "alien" and thus "one of us" despite the obvious contradiction with the nature of their powers. One definite thing that stood out to me about the show's worldbuilding over both seasons (aka why I want Supergirl to never be rolled over into Earth-1) is that the lopsided prevalance of aliens over metahumans* in Earth-38 National City probably makes a lot easier for the latter to be mistaken for the latter than on Earth-1... wouldn't be the first time that happened.

* Similarly the first third of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. had Ghost Rider being assumed an Inhuman twice.

STAC Goat posted:

And it was nice that Wynn never seemed to hesitate at dating the alien who looked different since he had already had a crush on an alien who looked human. He got past whatever bias he might have had nice and easy, but the way they did that restaurant scene I could see it coming up later with this relationship.
The funny thing I would have expected "already had a crush on an alien who looked human" to make someone's capacity to empathize with a non-human-passing alien worse, not better.