Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

chumbler posted:

It's no Platinum game though, let's be real. Also has the problem of bosses not getting staggered at all, and I didn't find the precise timing gimmick of the combos to be that interesting compared to more variable combos from mixing up button strings. Still a fun time even if you're just button mashing, though.

It's got style, and I really liked the timing gimmicks. It is flawed, to be sure, but it's just so fun to spam slash everything with Kagura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No hit stun on bosses (and other enemies) is basically the Tamsoft Problem TM and their games would be improved a lot if they figured that out.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Extella isn't by Tamsoft though, that's why it's good

It's not Nep, I know, but I'm currently waffling reaaaaaaaallly hard on whether this is worth $50 as an impulse buy, or whether I should wait for a sale.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Stelas posted:

It's not Nep, I know, but I'm currently waffling reaaaaaaaallly hard on whether this is worth $50 as an impulse buy, or whether I should wait for a sale.

Unless youre a really big fan of the series wait for a sale. Its not a bad game or anything but its definitely not a $50 purchase if youre just casually into it.

4GO seems to have done well in its first week, selling better than V-II. Now give me a NA release date. And a Steam port of Nep v Sega hard Girls. :argh:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Stelas posted:

Throw it up on camelcamelcamel as a price alert for the amount you actually want and be surprised when it suddenly hits. Maybe on PsPrices too?

I do have to say that's one of the only recent PS4 games on my hit list that hasn't already had a $30 sale somewhere though.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Stelas posted:

Eh, if you're into these kinds of games then it'll be worth the $50 tag. I've only done the first two main chapters and one side one so far but I feel like I've gotten my cost of admission out of it.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Continuing from the other unholy thread of Games. I think my main problem with Neptunia is how it tries too much to be cute and falls flat (for me). I liked the SRPG because I just love that genre and Noire seems more serious than Neptunia. The whole "devil may care" humour I think is my main issue with the franchise.

I actually enjoyed the combat of R3, as simplistic as it was. Some of the pop culture and anime references are lost on me but I laughed a few times.

Basically, is VII better on these fronts as the character is - I think - meant to be more adult in that one?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The main story is ostensibly more coherent or at least a fair bit more 'standard RPG', and Neptune probably gets a couple more serious moments than she does in the other games, but not enough to really change the core conceit of the humour. The game around it is much better, which might help you through it.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So what you`re saying is by dropping the games withing the first 15-20 minutes I'm missing out on something much better?

That sounds dumb now that I re-read myself, actually.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

So what you`re saying is by dropping the games withing the first 15-20 minutes I'm missing out on something much better?

Not so much that - though I will totally admit that Nep games generally get the fanservice out in the first 10 minutes, like some kind of hazing ritual or something.

It's more that the Rebirth games have a pretty happy-go-lucky plot, not just the plot itself but the way the characters react to it. By comparison, VII tends to get more serious more often. It's still the same dumb jokes for a lot of the game, but the characters respond to events a little differently. Meanwhile, the combat (and the framerate) are strictly better than R3.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Hyperdimension Neptunia U, is it like a dynasty warriors game? I think I impulse bought all neptunia games except producing perfection and blanc vs zombies when they were on sale.
I have Berserk coming in today anyway ( A webshop leaked it early ). but Neptunia U is a game I can play at work during lunch. I'm craving some hack and slash lately.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's like the worst Dynasty Warriors game you can imagine only the whole thing takes place in an area and you just kill a few enemies and the stage ends.

E: Then again I'd still probably rather play that than Ken's Rage 2.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
That's a shame.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Sefal posted:

That's a shame.
As an idle way to pass time with a hack-n-slash, Nep U is alright. The combat is fluid enough and it essentially follows the Senran formula if you're familiar with that. The biggest issues the game had were being incredibly short and having a severe lack of variety in levels and mobs. You are going to kill a LOT of giant slime bosses. However, if you're looking for something Nep themed that you can mash buttons on for 5-10 minutes and put down, it's not bad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I guess but you could spend 5-10 minutes playing a good game instead.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, but if he's got that Nep craving coupled with wanting to brawl without half an hour of dialogue then Nep U can scratch that itch. I think you can find a physical copy of it used for like <$10 these days.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I impulse bought it when it was on sale. it's on my vita. been playing blazblue lately on it. I sometimes like "bad" games. Dynasty Warriors 3 was a 10/10 game for me back in the day. Had so much fun with it. but reviewers hated it.

i'll try it out. Money has already been spent. If I like it, awesome. If I don't, no big loss.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Have fun man. Just like in any other Nep game, Vert is the best choice in Nep U.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sefal posted:

I impulse bought it when it was on sale. it's on my vita. been playing blazblue lately on it. I sometimes like "bad" games. Dynasty Warriors 3 was a 10/10 game for me back in the day. Had so much fun with it. but reviewers hated it.

i'll try it out. Money has already been spent. If I like it, awesome. If I don't, no big loss.

Nothing beats DW3 nostalgia.

Nep U is serviceable. If it helps, I don't have a lot of patience for grinds and still got the plat for Nep U. The thing about Neptunia is that you really have to like the dialogue and character interactions if you want to enjoy this series, and part of the fun of Nep U is raising Lily Ranks and listening to the girls banter at each other. Blanc v Zombies has a similar issue where all the fun is in the dialogue. The battle scenes are just events between cutscenes. If you're okay with this, these games are worth playing, even at their worst. If not, Nep V2 is probably the only real fun you'll have.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

In this day and age?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
For what is worth, I enjoyed Nep U far more than Shinovi Versus.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Mordaedil posted:

In this day and age?
It's a Vita game. Vita is synonymous with AAA gaming titles.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

:lol:

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

:razz:

Don't be that guy.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
This guy is the number 1 authority on getting anime games approval in Games. By posting excessively about Senran Kagura. It was quite a spectacle to behold.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, that was the best.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Something happened to your brain because of your insane over-the-top disappointment with Shinovi Versus. You should get that looked at

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
We owe D_T so much. Two bans and all these probations, only to make the anime game dream come true.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I would've probably made the Nep thread eventually as a spinoff to the glorious Vita thread, but I won't lie that the SK thread wasn't something of a motivating factor.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It`s a shame VII isn`t coming to Vita because it seemed to be getting more polish than the other entries. I don't care about the story but if the combat is somewhat ''involved'' it could have been fun.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

A Re;Birth 4 would not do V2 justice.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Are there more characters in Nep U then just the CPU sister pairs and Dengekiko and Famitsu? So far the olny thing B+NvZ has over Nep U is character count.

I picked up both for less then $10 and they're pretty good "I just want to hit a button, and do stuff," games. The two SK Versus games absolutely kick their teeth in, but at least I can play the nep games at work with significantly less fear that someone will look over my shoulder.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Takoluka posted:

A Re;Birth 4 would not do V2 justice.

There would have to be so much fog in areas the jokes would all be rewritten to be about handheld performance.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Anora posted:

Are there more characters in Nep U then just the CPU sister pairs and Dengekiko and Famitsu? So far the olny thing B+NvZ has over Nep U is character count.
Nope. That's pretty much the entire roster from what I recall.

Anora posted:

I picked up both for less then $10 and they're pretty good "I just want to hit a button, and do stuff," games. The two SK Versus games absolutely kick their teeth in, but at least I can play the nep games at work with significantly less fear that someone will look over my shoulder.
If it helps, you can disable the clothing damage mechanic and scenes in Estival Versus.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Idea Factory is doing an Amazon Steam Sale.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 (Steam) - $5.99
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2 (Steam) - $7.49
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 3 (Steam) - $7.49
Megadimension Neptunia VII (Steam) - $15.99
Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed (Steam) - $7.49
Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart (Steam) - $7.49
MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies (Steam) - $11.99

Now's as good a time as any to grab Re;Birth1 on the cheap!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think that's the cheapest VII's been too, they've been keeping it more or less full priced for a while.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

HGH posted:

I think that's the cheapest VII's been too, they've been keeping it more or less full priced for a while.

I just wish the drat DLCs would get any kind of pricedrop on PC.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Do the PS titles ever go on sale?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

I just wish the drat DLCs would get any kind of pricedrop on PC.

Somebody needs to go back to drug dealer school.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RanKizama posted:

Do the PS titles ever go on sale?

Somewhat frequently, for similar prices. If you don't mind leaving your PC or maybe have a Steam Link, I'd suggest getting the Re;Birth games on Steam. If you absolutely need them on your Vita, I'll update the thread next time they're on sale.

Price charts:
Re;Birth1 - Lowest at $6.
Re;Birth2 - Lowest at $3.
Re;Birth3 - Lowest at $9.
Noire Game - Lowest at $3.

Etc. Etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Megademension VII is $8 on Bundlestars (steam key) for the next 12 hours or so.
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/star-deal