Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yeah it was a good idea but there was never anything worth getting added to the shop. If they would have ever actually added worthwhile things to it then it wouldn't have been an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I want the Reconstructor and pets, but alas.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
For what it's worth, they stopped making worthwhile anything for the shop. RNG loot boxes is where it's at.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

orcane posted:

For what it's worth, they stopped making worthwhile anything for the shop. RNG loot boxes is where it's at.

That's what I throw my stipend at because gently caress it why not.

I'm not about to pay a digital $10 to unlock a gender specific outfit account wide. That's just stupid.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What are you ingame? If you need pax I wouldn't mind trading it for some of your FC points.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tallgeese posted:

What are you ingame? If you need pax I wouldn't mind trading it for some of your FC points.

You can do that now? But nah I don't need pax I'm sitting on 66mil and have no use for it as is

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Len posted:

You can do that now? But nah I don't need pax I'm sitting on 66mil and have no use for it as is

Darn.

No, you can gift people FC point stuff, so I would give you the cash and you'd gift the item.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Holy poo poo that gear disparity.

Who has an updated for 2017 tank stat distribution?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Oh, are you in for a ride.

When was the last time you played and what's your gear like?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tallgeese posted:

Oh, are you in for a ride.

When was the last time you played and what's your gear like?

My gear is all at least 10.4 but there's a smattering of 5's. I got awful raid loot rolls :negative:

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Len posted:

I got awful raid loot rolls :negative:

If I could go back in time I promise I would cheat several rolls for you before switching to that roll-100 site where everyone could just join a lobby.

(Fun Fact: TSW had no /roll at launch. Nor for several months post-raid IIRC)

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
I preordered TSW and never made it out of Kingsmouth, picked it up again with a friend last year and couldn't put it down until I went on deployment. Our schedules are finally back in alignment and we started again today (farthest we got was Egypt). I still have no idea what is going on but I'm somehow even more lost than I was to begin with. Any build recommendations going forward for survivability? So far I've been rocking sword/pistols and just spending AP/SP on whatever deck outfit I decide I want next.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Get the Lick Your Wounds passive.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Ziji posted:

Any build recommendations going forward for survivability? So far I've been rocking sword/pistols and just spending AP/SP on whatever deck outfit I decide I want next.

Forking Paths, Immortal Spirit, and Advantage Me should give you a ton of survivability if you've gotten the Bloodsport passive from Fists*. Grab Turn the Tables from one of the green outer wheel trees for an "oh poo poo" button. Make sure one of your lower or middle trinket slots gives a bonus to heal rating. Pistol has an elite passive that gives a hefty damage buff to your finishers that you might like.

* Get the Bloodsport passive from Fists. Pair it with Salt in the Wound from earlier in the same tree or grab the elite passive Gross Anatomy from Blood.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

I did sword/pistols right up til Kaidan, where I got my teeth kicked in. Doing sword/hammer now and it's working out. And ofc a chainsaw to compliment my new fire axe.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Reclaimer posted:

I did sword/pistols right up til Kaidan, where I got my teeth kicked in.

There's a Kaidan blade/pistol build on the TSW forums that people seem to think works really well. I have yet to try it myself; I was buying the abilities for it in case my fist/blood build didn't work out, but my build did just fine.

Actives
Pistol: Backup Drone, Hair Trigger, Shootout, Shake and Bake, Bullet Ballet
Blade: Forking Paths, Chop Shop
Aux: Diamond Grit

Passives
Fist: Bloodsport
Blade: Fortunate Strike, Sudden Return
Pistol: One in the Chamber, Advantage Me
Rifle: Accuracy
Blood: Gross Anatomy
Aux: Revved Up

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ugh I tried a nightmare Polaris with a pub healer who went ar/hammer and of course dude was running impairs.

The only reason he stopped impairing things wasn't because I asked repeatedly, it was because I stopped pressing buttons every time I saw an impair that wasn't mine go off.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Clearly, our finely tuned premade builds aren't up to the task of wrangling pubs.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm hoping to get my wife interested in MMOs. Is The Secret World the best one for a new player to learn the ropes in?

How fiddly is inventory management? I've been trying out ESO the last few days and my inventory being constantly full is driving me nuts.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

LLSix posted:

I'm hoping to get my wife interested in MMOs. Is The Secret World the best one for a new player to learn the ropes in?

How fiddly is inventory management? I've been trying out ESO the last few days and my inventory being constantly full is driving me nuts.
Secret World is the most single-playerish MMO, so I'd say it's a pretty good starter - it's basically a regular story driven RPG with co-op. The inventory is ok, you have a set amount of space that you can treat as one big lump or split into as many different "bags" as you want, which can then optionally be pinned to the screen (so you can have potions and stuff on screen even when the inventory is closed). You can also buy extra inventory space at any time, without having to go to a vendor or anything like that.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

LLSix posted:

This or SW:TOR, I suppose. Could play both as a co-op RPG, basically.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Game crashed once and then less than 30 minutes later froze my desktop up when I tried to travel to the first quest location after picking weapons as a Templar. That's my story about trying to play The Secret World.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Megazver posted:

This or SW:TOR, I suppose. Could play both as a co-op RPG, basically.

There used to be a bunch of instanced content on various quests (especially the story quest) that was solo-only. Did they ever change that? because if not it makes coop kind of hit or miss.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

malkav11 posted:

There used to be a bunch of instanced content on various quests (especially the story quest) that was solo-only. Did they ever change that? because if not it makes coop kind of hit or miss.
Of course they didn't. It's all the most obnoxious missions that will totally gently caress over a casual gamer too.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

malkav11 posted:

You can bring a friend along to a lot of that stuff, at least in the original campaigns and me and my friend used Youtube for the rest (mostly conversations on board the personal ships). It's not ideal, yeah, but you can still do like 90-95% of it together.

Dunno about the newest two expansions, I think those can only be done alone.

It's a shame that there aren't more RPGs with co-op where you play the story together.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Megazver posted:

You can bring a friend along to a lot of that stuff, at least in the original campaigns and me and my friend used Youtube for the rest (mostly conversations on board the personal ships). It's not ideal, yeah, but you can still do like 90-95% of it together.

Dunno about the newest two expansions, I think those can only be done alone.

It's a shame that there aren't more RPGs with co-op where you play the story together.
I assumed he was asking about Secret World and was really confused when you started talking about personal ships. :v:

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

LLSix posted:

If you want an intro MMO and actually sort of interact with other players, Guild Wars 2 is very friendly. You can bop around anywhere, do whatever and keep leveling. People show up, you all work on a mission, it ends, you all go your own way, etc.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

If the Orochi Dead Ops aren't supposed to be able to glance why does my combat log explode into things telling me they glanced?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

I assumed he was asking about Secret World and was really confused when you started talking about personal ships. :v:

I was asking about TSW, yeah. SWTOR is way more coop friendly. At least prior to the Knights of the Whatever stuff that I still haven't gotten around to trying.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

malkav11 posted:

I was asking about TSW, yeah. SWTOR is way more coop friendly. At least prior to the Knights of the Whatever stuff that I still haven't gotten around to trying.
Well based on my relatively recent experience playing through on a second character with the missus, she was endlessly frustrated by the sabotage missions, the end of chapter boss fights and the between chapter faction missions. Especially one of the Dragon faction missions (I think it was between Egypt and Transylvania?) - that was so bad I had to kick her off her pc and do it myself and it still took an hour. :smith:

Once you get to Tokyo the story and sabotage missions are all co-op as far as I remember.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I was creating a character when I got a message saying that the game had lost connection to the server and asking if I wanted to reconnect to another. I said yes, and...

Funcom! :argh:

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
After quitting a few months post launch, I'm planning on playing around a bit with a friend to enjoy the story and heavy co op gameplay here. A few quick newbie questions:

I remember decks and roles being super fluid and we probably won't be doing any group content for a while, but is there a general composition that would lend itself well to duo leveling that we could easily mold into endgame decks? I was thinking of one player leaning tank with some cc and the other player going for leech healing with support skills, but of course focus both of us mostly on dps.

I know most everything was really well configured for multi-player exploration, but how many solo instances are we going to encounter when leveling? She's not the best at mmos in general and gets scared doing stuff alone, so it'll help to have the assurance of there only being a few things that are solo required.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Sabotages where you have to go inside a building are often solo, yeah.

Makes cheating to get Unseen difficult.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

There's a fair amount of solo-only stuff, even just following the story missions. I'm bad at video games and I managed, though not without frustration in some parts.

For duoing the story and general zone stuff, I'd just use two soloing decks and kill things twice as fast. If you really want, tweak one towards AoE finishers and one towards single-target finishers. In mixed encounters, one of you can burn down the harder target while the other takes out the trash.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Been doing the beastiary lore while grinding Marks of Whatever the gently caress and I forgot how much I like the lore.

Now if only the last two disembodied parts would spawn so I can murder a zambie for lore.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

quote:

Acquired by combining three Congealed Essences that drop from killing each Regional boss. Only the player combining the Essences will receive this piece of lore and only one Essence drops per kill.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHHAHAHA HA HA. :negative:

quote:

Drops from the Effigy X77 Revenant in the Mansion Scenario.

:sigh:

Len fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 21, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The essences are about 1.5 million each, not too terrible.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tallgeese posted:

The essences are about 1.5 million each, not too terrible.

Oh kick rear end. I'll buy those when I get home from work.

I have all the parts to Resurrection Joe if anyone needs that lore. Not sure if he's just a tough mob or a golem though. So I haven't summoned it yet.

I have the beating draug heart too but you apparently need a group of four to summon that.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

I need many fancy lores, and all I have so far is the Boogeyman at midnight one. Let's be fancy lore buddies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Amante posted:

I need many fancy lores, and all I have so far is the Boogeyman at midnight one. Let's be fancy lore buddies!

I'll be home in an hour or two. I need a pocket healer to make things go smoother.

I've only got the SI stuff so far. About to head into Egypt tonight

• Locked thread