Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Victor vs the Maker. Bring it the gently caress on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only apparent cancellation from those solicits I'm bummed about is Silk. But if people don't buy the books you can't really complain. They're not making this stuff just for the hell of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

The only apparent cancellation from those solicits I'm bummed about is Silk. But if people don't buy the books you can't really complain. They're not making this stuff just for the hell of it.

I bought it. :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Should have been more people!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I liked silk but dropped off after the artist changed a while ago

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Secret Warriors starting with Secret Empire tie-ins is a bit of a bummer.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Of course it does! It's a book that exists because of a crossover, just like the old Secret Warriors!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I wasn't actually aware of that!

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I'm impressed how long Slapstick's book is lasting.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SilverSupernova posted:

I'm impressed how long Slapstick's book is lasting.

It's not really, it's just a digital first comic and what you're seeing in the solicits is the delayed print issues. I would imagine it's already been cancelled.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

I liked silk but dropped off after the artist changed a while ago

Yeah I really like the writing but I did not really care for Tana Ford's art at all.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

X-O posted:

It's not really, it's just a digital first comic and what you're seeing in the solicits is the delayed print issues. I would imagine it's already been cancelled.

Honestly it's still kinda impressive it lasted this long. Kinda glad they finally reverted the character back from the one-dimensional dick joke he's been since Civil War 1 before he got the boot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I find it kind of hilarious that David Gabriel just went on a poo poo talking rant about DC's double shipping books and OH LOOK MARVEL IS DOING IT TOO.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Double shipping is almost always terrible no matter who is doing it. I understand it a little more for a new title trying get a bit of momentum, but anything past the first few months is overkill. I dropped several DC books that I enjoyed just fine because I thought double shipping was killing the pacing and because they just weren't worth it. Books like Deadpool or Superman right now are the exception where it works. But some books like Nightwing or Cyborg for instance double shipping is stupid. Nightwing was a mediocre book and I dropped it not because it was bad, but because it wasn't worth keeping up with. And who the hell is the audience for a Cyborg twice monthly book? That's just wasteful stupidity.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I believe Cyborg is monthly now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ok, but there never should have been a point where someone suggested and then someone else agreed that a twice monthly Cyborg book was a thing the world needed.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, that's the weird part. That and Deathstroke being double shipped was a weird choice.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah I mean as much as I loathe double shipping I can understand why you'd want to double ship Batman, Superman, Justice League, Deadpool, X-Men, etc. But books like Cyborg, Deathstroke, Nightwing, Green Arrow, and even Aquaman are head scratchers. And I say that as someone that thinks Green Arrow is probably the best DC book next to Superman.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

X-O posted:

Nononono! Don't do this to me, Marvel :(

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Those Secret Empire covers feature Peter Parker right up front, but I couldn't see Miles in there. That's a bit weird, I figured he would be a central character.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
5-7 years ago Marvel was double-shipping A LOT of titles, and what was really confusing is that it wasn't even necessarily their top books. Going back to 2012, Marvel solicited two issues of these books in the following months (ignoring biweekly events, mini-series, and Amazing Spider-Man which was designed to be twice a month):

All-New X-Men (November, December)
Avengers (February, March, October, November, December)
Avengers Academy (January, February, May, June, August, September)
Avengers Arena (December)
Avenging Spider-Man (Augus, December)
Cable & X-Force (December)
Captain America (May, July, October)
Captain America & ______ (May, June, August, September)
Captain Marvel (October)
Daken: Dark Wolverine (January, March)
Daredevil (May, August)
Deadpool (January, February, May, July, September, October)
Fantastic Four (May)
Gambit (August, November)
Hawkeye (December)
Hulk (May, June, August)
Incredible Hulk (June, September)
Invincible Iron Man (May, June, July, August, September, October)
Iron Man (November, December)
Journey into Mystery (May, September)
Mighty Thor (April, June, September, October)
New Avengers (February, April, October, November)
New Mutants (February, April, July, August)
Punisher (September)
Scarlet Spider (December)
Secret Avengers (January, February, September, October)
Thor: God of Thunder (November)
Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers (January, April, June, July, September, December)
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (October)
Ultimate Comics Ultimates (May, December)
Ultimate Comics X-Men (February, May, September, October, November)
Uncanny X-Force (January, February, July, August, November)
Uncanny X-Men (February, March, June, July, August)
Venom (February, April, May, July, August, September, November)
Winter Soldier (February, June, September)
Wolverine (March, May, July, August, October)
Wolverine & The X-Men (February, April, May, July, August, October, November)
X-Factor (February, May, June, July, August, September, November, December)
X-Men (February, May, June, August, September)
X-Men Legacy (January, March, May, June, September, October)
X-Treme X-Men (August, November, December)

Imagine if you were trying to keep your budget to X comics a month with a schedule like that. There was also minimal effort in most offices to maintain coherent art teams/rotations during this, and while this is correlation not causation, a whole lot of those books were being written at the time by people who have scaled back/eliminated Marvel work from their schedule: Aaron, Brubaker, Fraction, Hickman, Parker, and Remender all saw a commitment of 3/4 books a month explode because of these shipping practices. This could have totally been their idea, but I doubt it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The more people talk about how comic shops work, the gladder I am I just go digital. poo poo sounds fundamentally broken.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ImpAtom posted:

I bought it. :(

Same :(
It is my favourite of the Spider books.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Waffleman_ posted:

The more people talk about how comic shops work, the gladder I am I just go digital. poo poo sounds fundamentally broken.

I drink at the comic store, and talk comics at the bar. poo poo sounds just right to me.

What I really came to post about is last weeks Doctor Strange. Doctor Strange and Thor: Magic Doctors is extremely my poo poo.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02/16/first-look-marvels-netflix-defenders-comic-book-form-ahead-free-comic-book-day/#.WKZanVGk5ck.twitter

Page of the Defenders

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

must... sell... toys...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I thought Spidey was transforming into that vehicle/robot at first. You can't imagine my disappointment.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

must... sell... toys...

Make me a limited based on the Toei Spider-Man series from the 70s and sell me Leopardon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Synthbuttrange posted:

must... sell... toys...

I'm the skrull goblin pointing and laughing.

Waffleman_ posted:

Make me a limited based on the Toei Spider-Man series from the 70s and sell me Leopardon.

There's a bunch of leopardon figures out there, selling toys is the reason the drat robot was in the show.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Edge & Christian posted:

5-7 years ago Marvel was double-shipping A LOT of titles, and what was really confusing is that it wasn't even necessarily their top books. Going back to 2012, Marvel solicited two issues of these books in the following months (ignoring biweekly events, mini-series, and Amazing Spider-Man which was designed to be twice a month):
-snip-
Imagine if you were trying to keep your budget to X comics a month with a schedule like that. There was also minimal effort in most offices to maintain coherent art teams/rotations during this, and while this is correlation not causation, a whole lot of those books were being written at the time by people who have scaled back/eliminated Marvel work from their schedule: Aaron, Brubaker, Fraction, Hickman, Parker, and Remender all saw a commitment of 3/4 books a month explode because of these shipping practices. This could have totally been their idea, but I doubt it.

Is that counting or not counting books that just had a case of Fifthweek going on? It's my understanding that they've thrown months sort of out the window and most books come out every 4 weeks regardless of whether a month has 4 or 5 Wednesdays. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course, and it hardly matters, I'm just wondering what percentage of that list was actually bi-weekly books that/those month/s. Like, holy poo poo, X-Factor. Was that the year they were trying to finish that run up with the Hell War storyline or whatever?
Also this is probably the wrong place to ask but it might be related: What's the deal with airplane food books saying they're the Jan 2017 issue in the fine print when they come out in like November 2016? Another weird quirk of the publishing world?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Diet Poison posted:

Also this is probably the wrong place to ask but it might be related: What's the deal with airplane food books saying they're the Jan 2017 issue in the fine print when they come out in like November 2016? Another weird quirk of the publishing world?
This is better for the general question thread, but the short version is that, yes, it's a weird quirk of the publishing world. The date on the cover of a periodical is when something is supposed to be *pulled* from the shelf, not when it's *put* there. For comics this doesn't actually matter since they're non-returnable except for specific cases, but for general magazine distribution where everything is purchased on a returnable basis, it's actually pretty important.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

TwoPair posted:

Yeah I really like the writing but I did not really care for Tana Ford's art at all.

Yeah. I was also put off by the art change. It's unfortunate.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hellcat ending has gotten me to buy three more issues than I had intended so good on Marvel I guess!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
:burger: March 22: we finally find out what Nick Fury said to Thor :burger:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Diet Poison posted:

Is that counting or not counting books that just had a case of Fifthweek going on? It's my understanding that they've thrown months sort of out the window and most books come out every 4 weeks regardless of whether a month has 4 or 5 Wednesdays. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course, and it hardly matters, I'm just wondering what percentage of that list was actually bi-weekly books that/those month/s. Like, holy poo poo, X-Factor. Was that the year they were trying to finish that run up with the Hell War storyline or whatever?
I mean... assuming every book comes out every four weeks, that means everything would hypothetically have 13 issues a year. Nearly every book on that list had 15, 16, in X-Factor's case *20* issues in a single calendar year. Some of it seemed somewhat intentional (Fraction's Thor and Iron Man ramped up the doubleshipping towards their conclusions, books like All-New X-Men and Winter Soldier doubleshipped their first month) but in general, it really just seemed to be something where they got a couple of months ahead on the scripts for something and went "find someone to draw this random issue!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So based on Havok and next month's cover, I get a feeling the reason there's no Emma Frost in ResurXtion is she takes her place as mutant Hitler.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

redbackground posted:

:burger: March 22: we finally find out what Nick Fury said to Thor :burger:

I'm pretty sure that at this point, anything would be disappointing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Spider-Man/Deadpool is really good when it wants to be. That is all.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I love how when Doom is bad Reed fucks with him and when Doom tries to be good a different Reed fucks with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Spider-woman was :3: mixed with badassery. I loved that thumbs up Jess threw Carol at the end, and Carol dejectedly kicking that rock after saving Jess and Roger's bacon.

• Locked thread