Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

eames posted:

Core voltage on LN2 :stonklol:

Jesus.... Wait, wrong Ryzen...

But still, daym, they do know that this isn't an Athlon XP right?

Also why do they still insist on benchmarking with Windows 7 when 8+ is better for Hyperthreaded/ThreadRipped machines?

Also it seems the hardware pre-order is just taking a page from the Kickstarter book at this point. Wait until AMD Kickstarts the Ryzen 2, the Second Coming.

Ok, I'll see my self out and back to work now.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also why do they still insist on benchmarking with Windows 7 when 8+ is better for Hyperthreaded/ThreadRipped machines?

ARGH SPYWARE or something like that I'd bet.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

eames posted:

say what you want, AMD knows their target audience. :allears:

quote:

the Ryzen 7 1700 also comes equipped with the AMD Wraith Spire cooler, featuring color-configurable LED illumination for customized style

Going full corsair here

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Risky Bisquick posted:

Going full Thermaltake here

Fixed that for you.. Corsair makes some nice stuff with plain White or no lights. :colbert:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Risky Bisquick posted:

Going full corsair here

My Palit Gamerock 1080 cycles rainbow colours when the machine boots. It's like a little burst of Xmas lights.
At default, the Asus z170i glowed Red in a breathing pattern, I thought it was stuck in a boot loop.

Noctua are sending out free AM4 compatibility upgrades for many of their coolers.
http://noctua.at/en/noctua-offers-upgrade-kits-for-amd-s-ryzen-platform-free-of-charge
God bles Noctua. Ordered mine just in case.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 22, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Klyith posted:

They did it for the 480 as well. Kinda a mixed bag. Preorders were useful in that they were the best way to get the thing at launch price, after that the price went up by like $30 for a couple months. Downside was that you got a launch 480.

Nvidia had preorders for founders edition cards as well come to think about it.

I dunno, preorders are dumb anywhere but at least they make some sense for a physical product that will probably not have enough stock to meet demand. Better than for digital games anyways.

They're gonna be substantially the same mobos as for recent FX chips though, right? Anything that can keep an FX happy should be able to meet the more modest needs of Ryzen.

At least with the 480s, it was discovered down the line that 4 GB models could be unlocked to 8 GB.

Since I'm intending to get one-or-more full-fat 1800Xs, not getting a chance at winning the silicon lottery is a non-issue to me.

Furthermore, since I'm eyeing the 1800X, given how aggressively AMD is said to be binning this first run, there's also a non-zero chance that I might get a chip that, had it clocked just a few MHz lower, or run a little bit hotter, or needed .01 extra volt to be stable, would have been kicked down to 1700X. Again, this is a risk I was willing to accept.

But opening up preorders before NDA embargo? I don't own a Reminder Box, but I don't need one to know that something _smells_.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

I don't think Windows HT optimizations matter for n-thread benchmarks like this. If you're say running a heavy 4-thread workload on a 4c8t CPU then Windows does need to take Hyperthreading/🆃🅷🆁🅴🅰🅳🆁🅸🅿🅿🅸🅽🅶 into account and try to schedule them onto the physical cores rather than cramming work through the hyperthreads for no reason, but something like Cinebench would just launch 8 threads and be guarenteed to saturate the physical cores regardless of whether the scheduler is smart about HT/🆃🆁 or not.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It's platfrom you fuckers

Ryzen is the dark souls of cpus

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Preorders are preorders, news at eleven

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

ARGH SPYWARE or something like that I'd bet.

Suicide benches are run on a OS stripped to the bare minimum, depending on the bench. Some of the early 7Ghz Kaby Lake runs were done on XP.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Arzachel posted:

Suicide benches are run on a OS stripped to the bare minimum, depending on the bench. Some of the early 7Ghz Kaby Lake runs were done on XP.

"Suicide bench" also accurately describes what I'm looking for when I hear someone doing anything at all with a new computer and Windows XP in 2017, jesus christ

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
loving lmao, this thread should have a button that lets you post that image.

eames
May 9, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

"Suicide bench" also accurately describes what I'm looking for when I hear someone doing anything at all with a new computer and Windows XP in 2017, jesus christ

I watched this youtube video of a :siren:german professional hardcore overclocker:siren: demoing a 7700K @ 7Ghz for Asus at CES and he sent his friend to buy a PS/2 keyboard/mouse because "Windows XP clocks higher but doesn't support the Z270 USB controllers".
Seconds later the video cut to his demo system running Windows 10, presumably because no physical shop carries a PS/2 kb+m in 2017. :v:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

repiv posted:

I'm pretty sure reviews went up a few days before preorders did.

That's why they cost 100 bucks extra, AMD just looking out for us is all :v:

eames
May 9, 2009

oooh juicy

reddit posted:

AIDA64, HWiNFO and CPU-Z developers not getting Ryzen samples - Ryzen potentially has issues with L2/L3 cache and memory latency

A developer of aida64 confirmed their team and the other 2 mentioned program's devs are not getting any of the Ryzen review samples that reviewers are getting today and tomorrow.
He's also said in previous post that AMD reached out to them because AIDA64 shows "wrong" results in L2 and L3 cache and memory latency tests, not favoring Ryzen compared to Skylake and Broadwell-E. Without testing they can't seem to find the cause, as the tests have been reliable for other CPUs, therefore Ryzen seems to have a higher latency in these areas leading to a smaller improvement from Bulldozer than expected. This could be caused by a bug, bottleneck, architectural design,
Read that as you will, but AMD seems reluctant to get 100% accurate benchmarks in people's hands, and them just handing out review samples only leaving a few days for reviewers to get their assertion is a bit iffy.

source with links

TLDR is that L2 and L3 cache latency seems higher than it should be but the AIDA dev doesn't have a sample so he cant tell if it's a software bug, cpu bug, cpu bottleneck or architectural issue. AMD complained about low scores but wouldn't send him a sample. Trying to bench AIDA64 with Ryzen will pop up a warning for the reviewer to ignore the score because "the benchmarks are not properly optimized for the current CPU."

Smells like the sort of thing you'd want an NDA for if this is all true.

the whole translated post history by an AIDA64 dev can be read here:

http://translate.google.com/transla...n&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8

eames fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 22, 2017

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I have no comment on that particular juice, but I am just going to predict right now that there will be some Phenom-level errata somewhere.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Whyyy did all this have to happen literally the day after my skylake order dispatched

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Whyyy did all this have to happen literally the day after my skylake order dispatched

If you'd been following this forum maybe you wouldn't have been so quick to place that order.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Surprise Giraffe posted:

If you are just playing videogames then you'll have a better chip than Ryzen.

Dunno why the gently caress you'd buy Skylake while Kabylake exists though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
So are AMD chips like intel with some pcie lanes coming direct from the cpu and then some more coming from the pch?

I see in the specs for the x370 24 pcie lanes, is that chipset only and then the cpu has 16 gen3 as well? Or just 24 total?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
That TDP difference between the 1700 and 1700x has me scratching my head. Why would they need another 30tdp for such a tiny gain.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

priznat posted:

So are AMD chips like intel with some pcie lanes coming direct from the cpu and then some more coming from the pch?

I see in the specs for the x370 24 pcie lanes, is that chipset only and then the cpu has 16 gen3 as well? Or just 24 total?

The CPU has 24 PCI-E 3.0 lanes, 16 are plain old PCI-E, 4 are hybrids that can act as SATA ports or PCI-E lanes, and 4 are reserved to connect to the chipset. The chipset gives you 8/6/4/0 PCI-E 2.0 lanes depending on the version.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2763-amd-chipset-comparison-x370-b350-a320

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

At least with the 480s, it was discovered down the line that 4 GB models could be unlocked to 8 GB.

Since I'm intending to get one-or-more full-fat 1800Xs, not getting a chance at winning the silicon lottery is a non-issue to me.

Furthermore, since I'm eyeing the 1800X, given how aggressively AMD is said to be binning this first run, there's also a non-zero chance that I might get a chip that, had it clocked just a few MHz lower, or run a little bit hotter, or needed .01 extra volt to be stable, would have been kicked down to 1700X. Again, this is a risk I was willing to accept.

But opening up preorders before NDA embargo? I don't own a Reminder Box, but I don't need one to know that something _smells_.

The surprise reveal is that they will overclock like poo poo. Insiders are already leaking the crap out of this, LTT says they only got an extra 100 MHz out of XFR, plus there's that guy over at Anandtech who claims that 4.0 GHz is about all you will get on air and 4.5 GHz is pretty much entirely out. Yeah, salt and all, but until the NDAs are fully lifted that's the best you'll get.

quote:

Overclocking this platform is crazy complicated and unrewarding. The clock speeds are low and if you have dreams of a 4.5GHz 24/7 setup, best forget it. In fact most of us will run 3.8 to maybe 4GHz on all cores if we're lucky for 24/7. 1.4V at 4GHz = 90'C load temp with air cooler, so be mindful of that. We need new coolers for the most part because the CPU height is not the same as previous CPUs amongst other changes.

quote:

Again from source overclocking stable from 3.8~ is unrewarding, the silicon is temperamental to high voltage. A 3.8 all core OC is pushing it

Plus the rumor that AMD is binning very heavily.

The sensible fusion of all of these data points is that 4.0 GHz is the point of diminishing returns even for a great sample and an extra 100 MHz is all you can get out of it before you hit the wall and power consumption starts exceeding what an air cooler can handle. You might get another couple hundred extra MHz if you are willing to double your TDP and run liquid cooling (not that that's a big deal nowadays, a 280mm AIO is pretty cheap).

That's gonna be a shocker to people who are used to overclocking small-die CPUs where an overclock maybe increases your power consumption by like 30% or 50%. But that's pretty much normal for big chips like this. My 5820K goes to 4.13 GHz at stock voltages, which work out to about 115 watts. Taking the same chip to 4.5 GHz increases the power consumption to about 240 watts, so the last 400 MHz roughly doubles your TDP. The wall is really loving steep with big chips like these.

The other gotcha here is there's a bunch of people who are going to be buying the low-clocked variants and expecting they can easily take them up to 4.0 GHz if not higher. That's probably not going to happen if a golden sample hits the wall at 4.0 GHz.

The high-end chips are clearly the ones to get here - insofar as you would ever want to pay $500 for a chip that barely breaks ahead of an Intel 6-core that you can buy for $330 even in multithreaded performance and gets utterly destroyed in single-threaded performance.

ColHannibal posted:

That TDP difference between the 1700 and 1700x has me scratching my head. Why would they need another 30tdp for such a tiny gain.

Because 3.8 GHz is already pretty close to the point of diminishing returns.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 23, 2017

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

Yes, the chipset has additional pcie lanes. The x370 has 8 pcie lanes from the chipset, making 24 total with the CPU's 16.

Pretty tight when you want to have a M.2 x4 slot plus two slots capable of doing SLI video cards, even if they're choked to x8 each.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

The high-end chips are clearly the ones to get here - insofar as you would ever want to pay $500 for a chip that barely breaks ahead of an Intel 6-core that you can buy for $330 even in multithreaded performance and gets utterly destroyed in single-threaded performance.

Source?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ColHannibal posted:

Zen doesn't appear to have many flaws but one that's apparent is that, in order to reach the clock speeds AMD wants, these things are being volted to within an inch of their lives and pushing more power through them makes a lot more heat for a very tiny gain.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I'm selling haswell for a 1700 :getin:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Klyith posted:

Yes, the chipset has additional pcie lanes. The x370 has 8 pcie lanes from the chipset, making 24 total with the CPU's 16.

Pretty tight when you want to have a M.2 x4 slot plus two slots capable of doing SLI video cards, even if they're choked to x8 each.

drat that seems really stingy compared to intel pchs allowing up to 24 gen3 additional now with kaby lake. Just add the cost of a pcie switch on there I suppose.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FuturePastNow posted:

Zen doesn't appear to have many flaws but one that's apparent is that, in order to reach the clock speeds AMD wants, these things are being volted to within an inch of their lives and pushing more power through them makes a lot more heat for a very tiny gain.

I wonder what the binning process really looks like for the initial production runs, considering this.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Paul MaudDib posted:

You're referring to the i7-5820k? What evidence do you have that a i7-5820k would "utterly destroy" the 1800X in single-threaded performance? Granted it was only one game but the AMD demo they had today showed the 1700 getting higher FPS than an 6800k at identical clocks. Your take on Zen is way more pessimistic than I have seen from anyone else.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

MaxxBot posted:

You're referring to the i7-5820k? What evidence do you have that a i7-5820k would "utterly destroy" the 1800X in single-threaded performance? Granted it was only one game but the AMD demo they had today showed it getting higher FPS than an 6800k at identical clocks. Your take on Zen is way more pessimistic than I have seen from anyone else.

Pessimism over AMD is a time-honored tradition to the point that it's become an e-peen thing. :smug:

"I'm more pessimistic over the new platfrom!"
"No, I am!"
"Nuh-uh!"
"Uh-huh!"

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Certainly seems to be in vogue these days

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

MaxxBot posted:

You're referring to the i7-5820k? What evidence do you have that a i7-5820k would "utterly destroy" the 1800X in single-threaded performance? Granted it was only one game but the AMD demo they had today showed the 1700 getting higher FPS than an 6800k at identical clocks. Your take on Zen is way more pessimistic than I have seen from anyone else.

The 5820k can reach 4.4GHz pretty easy, even on air, so I would not be at all surprised if it can beat an 1800X clocked at 4GHz.

For gamers I'm pretty sure the i5-7600k is still going to be the best deal overall, but we really should just wait for benchmarks.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

drat that seems really stingy compared to intel pchs allowing up to 24 gen3 additional now with kaby lake. Just add the cost of a pcie switch on there I suppose.

I'm not sure but it could be a little bit apples and oranges, the block diagrams of intel mobos always seem to consume pcie lanes for "built in" stuff.

But yeah. No matter how many pcie multiplexers they throw at the problem, they can't fit the triple SLI support, dual nics, and not one but two m.2 slots that the xxxtreme gamer x270 boards have. The high end x370 boards are gonna be a bit pitiful by comparison. Like this thing that ASUS has the audacity to charge $250 for, mostly for the ROG label.

Personally I don't care much, 24 is plenty for anything I need. Heck, I want 1 old PCI slot just so I don't have to replace my sound card.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Klyith posted:

I'm not sure but it could be a little bit apples and oranges, the block diagrams of intel mobos always seem to consume pcie lanes for "built in" stuff.

But yeah. No matter how many pcie multiplexers they throw at the problem, they can't fit the triple SLI support, dual nics, and not one but two m.2 slots that the xxxtreme gamer x270 boards have. The high end x370 boards are gonna be a bit pitiful by comparison. Like this thing that ASUS has the audacity to charge $250 for, mostly for the ROG label.

Personally I don't care much, 24 is plenty for anything I need. Heck, I want 1 old PCI slot just so I don't have to replace my sound card.

Yeah, it's not really a fair comparison since a lot of those lanes do get used up on the intel stuff. And I'm pretty sure I'd be fine with 24 too, single GPU then a m.2 ssd with room for another x4 nvme.

I'm kind of interested in one of the 4 or 6 core cpus with the m-ITX x300 as a combo NAS and VM station. 8 SATA ports would be perfect.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

eames posted:

oooh juicy

source with links

TLDR is that L2 and L3 cache latency seems higher than it should be but the AIDA dev doesn't have a sample so he cant tell if it's a software bug, cpu bug, cpu bottleneck or architectural issue. AMD complained about low scores but wouldn't send him a sample. Trying to bench AIDA64 with Ryzen will pop up a warning for the reviewer to ignore the score because "the benchmarks are not properly optimized for the current CPU."

Smells like the sort of thing you'd want an NDA for if this is all true.

the whole translated post history by an AIDA64 dev can be read here:

http://translate.google.com/transla...n&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8
I wish AMD's marketing and sales department weren't petulant children :cripes:

he's exaggerating, but the i7-5820k is intel's best kept secret because people can't stop jerking each other off over mediocre kaby lake overclocks

it clocks 0.4-0.5ghz higher than the i7-6800k on average outside of obvious review samples and costs $50 less, which is why intel conveniently stopped making more of it

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.
I ended up pre-ordering the Asus ROG Crosshair VI from Amazon, and coupled with a 1800X. Really excited for my new (partially) build. If the gaming benches are garbage, I'll just end up cancelling and wait for whatever Intel has next. That said, by all accounts--early as they may be, AMD has a hit on their hands. Glad to see Team Red back in the game.

Any thoughts on this MSI board?

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-X370-XPOWER-GAMING-TITANIUM/dp/B06WLNZ1JH/

I'm usually an Asus or Gigabyte guy, but that board looks pretty drat good. Looks.

CDHiggs fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 25, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CDHiggs posted:

I ended up pre-ordering the Asus ROG Crosshair VI from Amazon, and coupled with with an 1800X. Really excited for my new (partially) build. If the gaming benches are garbage, I'll just end up cancelling and wait for whatever Intel has next. That said, by all accounts--early as they may be, AMD has a hit on their hands. Glad to see Team Red back in the game.

Any thoughts on this MSI board?

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-X370-XPOWER-GAMING-TITANIUM/dp/B06WLNZ1JH/

I'm usually an Asus or Gigabyte guy, but that board looks pretty drat good. Looks.

Looks damned expensive is what it looks like

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

when you think about it, case windows have enormous negative value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
....But they _do_ have enormous negative value. You can't sound dampen that panel without obviating the window.

• Locked thread