Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What really bugs me about art like that is the clear recopying of the background figures in multiple panels, so it makes it even more clear that they didn't draw this poo poo.

I generally hate styles that over-rely on references, like in Ex Machina. I do wonder if in some cases that it looks like tracing, it's just that the artist is extremely good at reproducing photorealistic work. So it's not that they're lightboxing stuff like Land or photoshop filtering stuff like Evans but just really talented at reproducing photos. So in this case it wouldn't be fair to call them talentless hacks but just that their style doesn't fit my taste.

This doesn't apply to the obviously terrible and copied Trek panels above, though.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I like the lady whose glasses are fading away. Also the guy between Spock and Bones, every time I look at him I can't help but feel his face is slightly off-centre from the rest of his head.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
With the unchanged posture between panels, Beard Man looks like he's letting out an extended and satisfying fart.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

RandallODim posted:

With the unchanged posture between panels, Beard Man looks like he's letting out an extended and satisfying fart.

rmmrrffffffmmmmmahhhhhhhh...

that lazy eye though

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's the face of a man holding in a really big fart.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I assume the page rates on those things are very low.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That looks the artist just ran a photoshop filter over a friend's picture.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Pacra posted:

rmmrrffffffmmmmmahhhhhhhh...

that lazy eye though

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
He looks like a background character from Archer trying to photobomb the page.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

zoux posted:

I generally hate styles that over-rely on references, like in Ex Machina. I do wonder if in some cases that it looks like tracing, it's just that the artist is extremely good at reproducing photorealistic work. So it's not that they're lightboxing stuff like Land or photoshop filtering stuff like Evans but just really talented at reproducing photos. So in this case it wouldn't be fair to call them talentless hacks but just that their style doesn't fit my taste.

Tony Harris is open about using friends, family members and neighbours as models for his art, but it's not like Greg Land doing an image search for something that looks vaguely like what he wants. He arranges them and photographs them himself, so when you see someone doing something it looks OK because they actually were doing it. The main problem with the style is that because he takes from posed still photos rather than film, his figures usually lack natural body language.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jedit posted:

Tony Harris is open about using friends, family members and neighbours as models for his art, but it's not like Greg Land doing an image search for something that looks vaguely like what he wants. He arranges them and photographs them himself, so when you see someone doing something it looks OK because they actually were doing it. The main problem with the style is that because he takes from posed still photos rather than film, his figures usually lack natural body language.

Oh for sure. My issue with it is a lack of dynamism because it looks like, well drawings of people standing still pretending like they are in the middle of doing something.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Kill Six Billion Demons continues to rule.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Cuchulain posted:

:stare:

Time for me to catch up with this.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Im going to say it, that's legit some mobeus level artwork right there.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah that's some loving Katsuhiro Otomo Akira level poo poo. Goddamn.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Cuchulain posted:

I hate this poo poo. Can't find Waldo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

It's not Waldo, it's a sailboat.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Loss.jpg hidden in the details.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Open Marriage Night posted:

It's really good but I think the natural "wow, look at all that detail" reaction to it is what people find amazing about it more than anything else. Reminds me a little bit of Miller's Ronin.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's fantastic work but any time a major part of the art is the painstaking, patient application of detail it tends to impress folks perhaps more than it should. I put guys like George Perez and Jim Lee in this category.

Often I'm more impressed with artists who do less with more and where the detail is secondary to the composition and use of light and shadow; but I'm simply nitpicking a great piece.

What do you guys think of Michael Goldon and Walt Simonson? I always thought they were a little underrated and loved the way they both used elements of hyper realism with really crazy compositions and stylization. Barry Windsor Smith too. These guys manage to really master the basics of anatomy and perspective but each bring a unique style and a flair for storytelling that you can tell who drew it.

Lastly, I've loved watching Bill Sienkiewicz evolve over 3 or 4 decades. He started out as a Neil Adams clone but just kept pushing the constraints of the medium. He's like the opposite of Frank Miller, who was hot at the same time, but where Bill really GREW and changed for the better every time you saw his stuff, Miller just devolved to the point where his work simply became ugly and it seemed like he didn't care. Miller's greatest strength was always his storytelling - the ability to convey what was happening in a scene without even reading - but, god drat, even that devolved.

I defy anyone to look at the TDKSB and tell me what's going on.

Bill Sienkiewicz grew until he transcended the medium. Has any work from Stray Toasters been posted in this thread?

http://www.billsienkiewiczart.com/gallery/stray1/straytoasters1_p35_thumb.jpg

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/5/5f/Stray_Toasters_Vol_1_3.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090930001414

http://collectorsshangri-la.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/8ff1fda1094e6eac698e213e879c9921/s/i/sienkiewicz_straytoasters.jpg

It's like Ralph Steadman blended with Neil Adams.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 26, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Goddamn Emilio has started to look like his dad.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Sienkiewicz and Simonson are both masters, albeit in very different ways.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Sienkiewicz and Simonson are both masters, albeit in very different ways.

And many of the same ways. Like, they both draw awesome loving metal-as-all-hell stuff.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
That would be where their circles overlap, yes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

That would be where their circles overlap, yes.

They both also have two arms, two legs and a head!

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Who's underrating Walt Simonson? I will fight them. The man's a legend.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

haitfais posted:

Who's underrating Walt Simonson? I will fight them. The man's a legend.

Greg Land fans, probably. They must exist somewhere.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Simonson's work in Manhunter is amazing:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Fallen Rib
Saw this posted on CA and thought it belonged here.

If you think it is awesome you could also order it (link in the CA article above) and know that the profits go to the ACLU.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

loving illegal immigrants, hey? Destroying American values, taking jobs that could go to honest American superheroes.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Jedit posted:

loving illegal immigrants, hey? Destroying American values, taking jobs that could go to honest American superheroes.

But not Superman, though. He's one of "the good ones".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I'm sad to report that Bernie Wrightson has passed away.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Jedit posted:

I'm sad to report that Bernie Wrightson has passed away.
RIP

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

The art is really good but goddamn the way that the text is laid out here is the most distracting start-and-stop thing ever.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It may be cuz I'm looking at it on a screen but I'm really getting that faux 3d from the red/blue contrast on that page which makes it look really cool

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

site posted:

It may be cuz I'm looking at it on a screen but I'm really getting that faux 3d from the red/blue contrast on that page which makes it look really cool

I used to think that's what hologram covers were when I was a kid

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The Living Monolith's costume looks like it collects fart-power to rechannel through his cowl.

Also: did not skip leg day...

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Fallen Rib

Dick Trauma posted:

The Living Monolith's costume looks like it collects fart-power to rechannel through his cowl.

Also: did not skip leg day...

The world just isn't ready for the diaper/suspenders combo, but one day it will be.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Madkal posted:

The world just isn't ready for the diaper/suspenders combo, but one day it will be.

Unless you're a pro wrestler.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/mittmarney/status/854220799716327424

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Selachian posted:

Unless you're a pro wrestler.

A rare opportunity for me to bring up the weirdest reference in a Beat-em-up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvrgayc2Pyw&t=5496s