Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I don't mind the fins personally. I find the ugliest aspect of these cars is the sharp downward slope the noses take. The Force India is especially bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

George Zimmer posted:

I don't mind the fins personally. I find the ugliest aspect of these cars is the sharp downward slope the noses take. The Force India is especially bad.

You are taking the piss right? The Force India looks like somebody glued a sheet of drywall onto the back.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Let's not argue about which part of the Force India is most bad. It is 100% bad.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

You are taking the piss right? The Force India looks like somebody glued a sheet of drywall onto the back.

It's the least aesthetically pleasing of the three we've seen so far, but on the whole it's perfectly fine IMO. Sauber's looks downright cool.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

iospace posted:

So what rule change spurred the return of the shark fins again?

Specifically, lowering the rear wing without reducing the overall height allowed for the car introduced the chance to manage airflow over that wing. The smoother you can make that airflow, the more you will reduce drag without lowering the down force generated, and the sharkfin is the lowest weight, lowest drag, highest return method of doing so.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

What could possibly be worse than the new Force India? Perhaps Hamilton's new helmet: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamilton-reveals-helmet-design-contest-winner-876009/

quote:

The Briton had opened a competition for fans, who had the chance to design the helmet he would wear during the upcoming season.

On Wednesday, the Briton revealed the winning design, created by Brazilian Rai Caldato, a professional design agency

:smugdon:

I actually don't mind the front nose at all. Aggressive design. I just hate how it goes up to his harsh cliff of a step and the rest of the car is kind of plain. The sharkfin should absolutely not be that colour. An opportunity to just splash that bit with black or bare carbon fibre completely lost.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Ban front wing complexity beyond 1998 levels and make them shatterproof, that thing above looks like a loving Xenomorph skeleton.................and will take hours to clean up all 500 million bits of it all over the track.

What year was this? 2000? I like it, clean and simple. :getoffmylawn:

When are we all saddling up to go rescue Pastor and El Hefe? :clint:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 22, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A bare carbon fibre car with all sponsor logos in white would own

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
2008 was almost 10 years ago and whenever I look at those F1 cars they still look 10 years AHEAD of all this poo poo coming out. So gently caress you guys. Bring back the aero complexity.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Since cars in general are no longer attractive, bring on the wild Time Attack aero.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2008 was the best F1 season of all time and had fiddly aero bits all over the place so IMO they do jack poo poo to hurt racing

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The one thing that affects racing quality in F1 the most isn't fiddly aero or refueling, it's just luck of the draw (and not limiting development) whether two or three teams will have relatively equal cars throughout the year. Which is why you shouldn't do dumb rear end freezes that leaves one team with an advantage over an entire engine formula.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Alain Post posted:

2008 was the best F1 season of all time and had fiddly aero bits all over the place so IMO they do jack poo poo to hurt racing

This guy gets it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
To be honest I have very little nostalgia for F1 cars roughly from 1998-2003. They look boring.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

To be honest I have very little nostalgia for F1 cars roughly from 1998-2003. They look boring.

They are very ugly. I did like the stupid X-wings, with hindsight.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I just realised *~earthdreams~* was 10 years ago

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

The one thing that affects racing quality in F1 the most isn't fiddly aero or refueling, it's just luck of the draw (and not limiting development) whether two or three teams will have relatively equal cars throughout the year. Which is why you shouldn't do dumb rear end freezes that leaves one team with an advantage over an entire engine formula.

I'm kinda on the fence about refueling.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v1SKqAzmzo

Looks good in motion.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tsaedje posted:

Holy hell was that a bad car. I think it single handily ruined all of Honda's credibility in motorsport and they haven't recovered from it since.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Holy hell was that a bad car. I think it single handily ruined all of Honda's credibility in motorsport and they haven't recovered from it since.

All of Honda's recent history in F1 has been "let's take a team that's doing alright and ruin them."

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm kinda on the fence about refueling.

Refueling is good. Refueling tied to qualifying as some dumb gimmick is bad.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Holy poo poo. I first saw the FI reveal pics on Twitter on my phone, and didn't even register the sharkfin because it was so comically huge and blank I thought it was light on the backdrop. Did Vijay just lop the tails off his planes after Kingfisher Airlines went down the toilet and ship them to Silverstone?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Tsaedje posted:

Oh yeah? 2015 model year.

(In fairness I did have a WTF moment when I saw it for the first time)

Alain Post posted:

2008 was my first full year Watching Formula 1, and I look back on it very fondly but I have wondered until I saw this post weather that was just rose-tinted Nostalgia glasses

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 22, 2017

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Tsaedje posted:

I honestly liked the 2008 EARTH DREAM livery (the 2007 livery was a step too far though), shame the car was a steaming pile of poo poo.

The loving wheel rim cover / brake cooling things have got a lot to answer for for ruining the look of those cars though.

The only thing that can redeem 2017 is an orange mclaren, but I worry that it's just going to remind me of the old arrows livery and they're going to be on a similar level performance wise, and there's no Jenson to make things a bit interesting.

2017 sucks already.

:smith:

Oh yea, shark fins. The force india looks ridiculous.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
The levels of autism regarding the new car opinions in this thread are off the extremely detailed charts

poty fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 22, 2017

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
You've clearly not been reading the F1 Technical forums.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I am sorry that you live life like an autist

I was actually just making a callback to this post, which was funny to me because I didn't understand what the poster meant

What are some technical F1 posts

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Acronyms and using one's poor understanding of fluid dynamics to draw lines on low res photos of cars

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Tsaedje posted:

Acronyms and using one's poor understanding of fluid dynamics to draw lines on low res photos of cars

But enough about post-Newey Mclaren...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's better to be pretty and slow than ugly and slow. that dicknose force india better be really loving fast.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

poty posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=posthistory&userid=116626

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

poty posted:

The levels of autism regarding the new car opinions in this thread are off the extremely detailed charts
Seriously, all these cars look about the same as last year but slightly better in some ways. Except the FI which looks slightly worse in some ways. Slightly.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

poty posted:

All the messages ITT are technically F1 posts

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

BOLD PREDICTION Red Bull are going to catch right up to Mercedes and Horner will be completely insufferable about it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bold Prediction: McLaren are poo poo

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Bold Prediction: McLaren are poo poo

Normally you are a good poster but this isn't bold at all. Get your poo poo together dude.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fine

Bold Prediction: Four (4) teams will win Grands Prix in the 2017 F1 season.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

Bold Prediction: Four (4) teams will win Grands Prix in the 2017 F1 season.

I want whatever you are smoking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I want whatever you are smoking.

• Locked thread