Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

Letting people who go to Protestant seminaries write material for Catholics/Orthodox seems like it always ends up weird because they bring that unique brand of legalism into everything they touch. Look at the Orthodox Study Bible for an example; it's blindingly obvious to me that the study notes were written by converts, because people who were raised Eastern Orthodox don't use that kind of language. One of the essays basically has an altar call in it!
and then cradle orthodox get sucked into that because our native pedagogical tradition is extremely weak. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

P-Mack posted:

Stop pissing on LGBT people, don't shelter pedos, maybe a monthly pancake breakfast? I dunno.

Yes, so what's ailing the Episcopal and other left leaning mainliners? We're super cool, and all that, but still no one cares. Or notices. I don't know.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
you also need that timeless sense of communication with an ancient tradition, and an appreciation of mystery, which most of the mainliners do not

and theological rigor, which is not the same as being right wing

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

WerrWaaa posted:

Yes, so what's ailing the Episcopal and other left leaning mainliners? We're super cool, and all that, but still no one cares. Or notices. I don't know.

My local Episcopal church is super chill, but if I go there Henry VIII wins...

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

P-Mack posted:

Stop pissing on LGBT people, don't shelter pedos, maybe a monthly pancake breakfast? I dunno.

Open and affirming churches are the ones that are dying the quickest, though, which nobody really has a good explanation for.

I think this is mainly a demographic issue though. Liberal churches tend to skew older, their members have less kids than conservatives and they're less likely to be gung-ho about regular church attendance.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

Open and affirming churches are the ones that are dying the quickest, though, which nobody really has a good explanation for.
because the same people who have good opinions about life have poo poo opinions on ritual and what is the proper size of your silly hat

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
religions that require more personal sacrifice in general do better than ones where you don't even need to show up, because if you're good as you are why come?

this isn't to say being affirming is the problem, so much as it correlates with a liturgical and theological "looseness" that doesn't demand much of people. if the catholic church changed nothing aside from permitting LGBT people to exist without condemnation the church would probably gain more members and lose fewer. this doesn't compromise anything, it just opens up the fullness of the catholic family to other people who are historically excluded. but this is equated to loose liturgical rites, less strict spirituality, and essentially moral relativism so it won't happen, but if open and affirming congregations and MCC saw this less as a grand ecclesial statement and more traditionally you might not see the losses they have

how many in this thread have said liturgically conservative, socially liberal, and how impossible it is to toe that line?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

how many in this thread have said liturgically conservative, socially liberal, and how impossible it is to toe that line?
it's pretty easy in my parish; we're a mix of millenials with terrible opinions, millenials with good opinions, generation x on up who are raising families and have less time for opinions, two frothing conspiracy theorists, one trump voter who's actually a cool guy, and ancient Bulgarians who may or may not have any opinions about politics in the US. The priest makes a point of never telling anyone whom he's voting for because he believes that should be private.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

because the same people who have good opinions about life have poo poo opinions on ritual and what is the proper size of your silly hat

I don't think young people like lame ritual either. Trying to make Mass more contemporary just left us with hymns and decor trapped in the post-Vatican II 70's, so it's still out of date but it doesn't have the cachet of a thousand years of tradition.

Like what do teenagers like? WH40K and Game of thrones and anime and stuff, right? Why not lean into the Latin chanting and weird looking angels with a hundred wings and eighty mouths breathing holy fire.

Anyway, a priest once told me something along the lines of "Maybe the decline in attendance continues in a straight line forever. Maybe two hundred years from now the Church is a tiny organization that meets in member's basements and the general public thinks we're crazy at best and dangerous at worst. So what? We've been there before."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Personally, at least speaking as an American in the South, I think a large part of why millenial attendance of church is declining is because in most American culture, when you say "Christian" people think of the Republican party and the Religious Right. I generally don't identify as Christian in public anymore unless I'm in a situation where I can clarify that I'm firmly left-wing.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Thanks to Francis people seem to finally be noticing that the Catholic Church is left wing on social and economic issues when they don't deal with sex, gender, and reproduction.

My dad (actual dad, not poster) said his priest read out a letter from the bishop before the election going on about how Catholics need to vote with [ISSUE] foremost in mind and wink wink nudge nudge we all know which candidate that means. Why even bother repealing the Johnson Act?

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Repealing the Johnson Amendment is just a wink and a nudge to conservative Christians. The drat thing's never enforced anyway, at least not against churches. There's even an event every year where evangelical pastors blatantly violate it to endorse specific candidates and essentially dare the IRS to come after them. Nothing happens.

Most churches seem to shy away from endorsing specific candidates as a matter of decorum rather than being afraid of the Johnson Amendment, but everyone knows what an evangelical pastor means when he tells you to "vote for the most Biblical candidate" or whatever. It's also eye-rolling when churches suddenly take strong stances on stuff like tax reform. Oh, okay, where's that in the Bible? Or did you get your political views mixed up with your religious ones again.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

It's also eye-rolling when churches suddenly take strong stances on stuff like tax reform. Oh, okay, where's that in the Bible?

"Give to Caesar what is Caesar's"

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I agree that high buy in is important. At a retreat once we read through a bunch of church membership agreements-- our Bishop was insulted by the most demanding, highly committed statement, only to find out afterward that it was from one of the biggest, most thriving, liberal parishes in California.

Clearly I need to start a D&D Adevnturers League for my parish, though.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
when i converted to orthodoxy, i was pleasantly surprised by how small most orthodox parishes are, you really get to know people and make friends. maybe catholic and episcopalian parishes should be smaller?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
well unfortunately a number of catholic dioceses had to pay millions of dollars in lawsuits so there's not much money left to keep smaller parishes afloat

i wonder what it was that caused that

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

HEY GAIL posted:

when i converted to orthodoxy, i was pleasantly surprised by how small most orthodox parishes are, you really get to know people and make friends. maybe catholic and episcopalian parishes should be smaller?

for catholics that's just not feasible: we've already got a major shortage of priests, and more parishes to contain the same number of people would only compound the problem. currently over 15% of parishes in the U.S. are without a resident pastor. i think that going the route of our eastern and orthodox sisters and brothers and opening the priesthood up to married men would help a lot, and restoring women to the diaconate would further help to increase the quality of pastoral care and ease everyone's burdens. but until a major change like that is made and brings a lot more men to the seminary, we simply can't afford to multiply the number of parishes.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
It's even worse outside of the US. Technically we're not really doing that bad here, and seminary enrollment is rising for whatever reason (bad economy maybe? dunno.) We've got one priest for every 2,000 Catholics. Manila has one priest for every 20,000. The Philippines in general have one for every 8,000 which is similar to Mexico's numbers.

Parishes are a lot smaller in Europe, seemingly, but when you combine that with the vocation shortage you wind up in situations where in some areas you'll have like one priest for ten+ parishes and he just travels around.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

Parishes are a lot smaller in Europe, seemingly, but when you combine that with the vocation shortage you wind up in situations where in some areas you'll have like one priest for ten+ parishes and he just travels around.

Also he's originally from India, which may be a good thing because it makes old church ladies less racist. Over here the church rarely says anything about sex and relationships, but they go on at length about why we should be nice to refugees. The reason for that is pretty obvious. Churches here can't really perform a marriage, the ceremony is just for members' own amusement, and if you want the various legal benefits of marriage you have to get a permit at a state office. But the church is really big in the art, music and charity business, so that's what they care about. Das Sein bestimmt das Bewusstsein :getout:

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
today i found out that not only can you write theology in kanji, but you can write liberation theology in kanji as well

解放の神学. 素晴らしい

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

well unfortunately a number of catholic dioceses had to pay millions of dollars in lawsuits so there's not much money left to keep smaller parishes afloat

i wonder what it was that caused that
i'm not sure whether or not my priest/matushka are supported by our diocese. most of the priests and matushkas i know have day jobs in addition to running their parishes, and it's a truly retarded amount of work that they do. i can't loving fathom the amount of energy you need to be an orthodox priest or priest's wife.

which solves the "the diocese does not have money" problem but creates problems of its own

edit: i think it was keromaru5 who mentioned that priests' kids sometimes end up resenting their parents

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 22, 2017

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad
:siren: Patriarch Theodoros II of Alexandria and All Africa consecrates deaconesses :siren:

ITS LIT

and it was the Eastern Orthodox Theodoros not the Coptic one because there are two in Alexandria and it's confusing.

Edit also I'm super late but it's fine to punch Nazis. Killing them is less fine, but St. Alexander Nevsky didn't greet the Livonian knights with bouquets of flowers. God understands if it is truly the only option your lovely mortal brain can accept in dire straits. It's not good though

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 23, 2017

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
I can't even imagine how it's possible to be bi-vocational. The pastor at my last church put in 70 hr weeks pretty easy between all the church administrative stuff, sermon prep, hospital visits, Bible studies, endless Presbyterian bureaucratic nonsense, solving drama between the congregants, ecumenical outreach, coordinating volunteers, attending para-church functions...

Burnout's insane for pastors who have it as their sole job, adding another one on top of that seems like it'd drive you insane.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

Burnout's insane for pastors who have it as their sole job, adding another one on top of that seems like it'd drive you insane.
my priest is the most energetic human i've ever met, orthodox priest and remedial teacher at a high school

on the other hand, most orthopriests are married, so all but one of the things they have to do, they have someone to share the load

edit: on the other other hand, that means if you want kids, now you have to think about raising kids on top of those billion jobs

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 23, 2017

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GAIL posted:

edit: i think it was keromaru5 who mentioned that priests' kids sometimes end up resenting their parents
I'm not sure I'd say resenting--I only have the one story to go on. When a lady at my church lost her father, who was a priest, a few years ago, she talked about how his ministry conflicted with his duties as a father, while so many people were showing their love and appreciation for him as a priest. It was a lot like my mom's feelings when my grandfather died. He was a doctor, and of course she loved him, but on one hand, she remembered him being distant and busy through her childhood, and on the other, we had basically a whole county whose diseases he'd treated and whose babies he'd delivered coming out to thank him.

In both cases, it's as if, for better or worse, your dad isn't just your dad, he's the entire community's dad.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Edit also I'm super late but it's fine to punch Nazis. Killing them is less fine, but St. Alexander Nevsky didn't greet the Livonian knights with bouquets of flowers. God understands if it is truly the only option your lovely mortal brain can accept in dire straits. It's not good though
"but it's a start" --st. olga, probably

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

The American president has finally issued the executive order that rescinds protections for trans children in public schools. Please offer prayers to God or to St. Nicholas the Wonderworker for the protection of these children: they really, really need it now.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

What does 'Deaconess of the Missions' mean?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bel_Canto posted:

The American president has finally issued the executive order that rescinds protections for trans children in public schools. Please offer prayers to God or to St. Nicholas the Wonderworker for the protection of these children: they really, really need it now.
insanely enough, it was loving devos who was on the right side here

this season of america took a weird turn

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Paladinus posted:

What does 'Deaconess of the Missions' mean?

I'm not exactly sure the full range of allowances it makes but at the very least they are able to help conduct marriages, adult baptisms, etc. at the monastery of Kolwezi in the DRC. Who knows what this will mean for future recognition of the order outside of Africa but this is the first step and hopefully not the last.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GAIL posted:

i mean she didnt actually do poo poo about it
its funny how fast ive gone from voting for mitt romney to reading dorothy day and thinking "yeah checks out"

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

StashAugustine posted:

i mean she didnt actually do poo poo about it
its funny how fast ive gone from voting for mitt romney to reading dorothy day and thinking "yeah checks out"

Senju Kannon posted:

allow me to introduce you to a man called marx jon sobrino

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

not quite leftist enough yet, check back in a year or so

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
wasn't dorothy day an anarchist

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Senju Kannon posted:

wasn't dorothy day an anarchist

She's with catholic worker, which most anarchists recognize as part of the club, yeah. I don't think she'd necessarily call herself that, but the issues advocated are close to big A anarchism.

E:

quote:

Discussing the term anarchism, she wrote: "We ourselves have never hesitated to use the word. Some prefer personalism. But Peter Maurin came to me with Kropotkin in one pocket and St. Francis in the other!"

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

HEY GAIL posted:

Who is devos? I mean, other than a rocking new wave band.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Betsy DeVos, the woman now responsible for education and the school system who coincidentally also hates the very idea of public, state-run schools with the fury of a thousand suns

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

http://www.themarysue.com/pope-a-plus-twitter-game/

This "Heaven is doing ~~extreme vetting~~ too" meme is just the loving worst :negative:

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

System Metternich posted:

http://www.themarysue.com/pope-a-plus-twitter-game/

This "Heaven is doing ~~extreme vetting~~ too" meme is just the loving worst :negative:

i will never get tired of white hetero dudes making themselves look ridiculous in front of the entire world by trying to mansplain christianity to the pope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bel_Canto posted:

i will never get tired of white hetero dudes making themselves look ridiculous in front of the entire world by trying to mansplain christianity to the pope

Is it even mansplaining if it's toward another man? Here, like nowhere else, the word patronise would make much more sense, imo.

• Locked thread