Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
It gets easier after the first child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Wouldn't it be really obvious to a medical examiner that the kid died before being crushed? I've seen a lot of law & order and it seems like it should be. The no blood thing sounds like bullshit too, but hey, at least it is more believable than magic home depot bucket guy.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Maybe one day we'll believe one of your lovely stories, CC guys.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
If we're talking minutes between the car accident and the cover-up, I'm not sure how the medical examiner could know this.

Besides, some machines would crush the child, or a part of him, to such a degree that it would be impossible to know this.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"Hmm this child appears to have been struck by a car before being turned into a horrifying slurry of flesh, blood and bone"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

KomodoWagon posted:

"Hmm this child appears to have been struck by a car before being turned into a horrifying slurry of flesh, blood and bone"

The confession didn't say he crushed him THAT bad. If a plausible accident happened like a machine rolled over him or something dropped on his head I would think there would still be injuries from the car collision that couldn't be explained by that one event. If he and his boss backed over him over and over until he was meat paste I doubt they would conclude it was an accident.

It just seems like something they would have checked if the investigation went on for a long time like he said.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Maybe the kid was known for being kind of a jerk so they didn't care enough to really investigate

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Maybe it happened TO the OP and he's a ghost, seeking revenge against the man who killed him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The investigation may have went on a long time, but the medical examination could have been as fast as "yeah, looks like what would happen to a kid if a construction vehicle rolled over him." I'm sure the cops had to make sure the story stayed the same just in case.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
So, like, whomever used the construction machine last didn't get convicted of manslaughter then?
On the other hand they did leave the vehicle unattended with the keys in the ignition which is stupid and dangerous. It's a miracle nobody got hurt.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I'd think running over an 8 year old would at least dent your bumper so that'd be a huge red flag.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It didn't happen. Quit worrying about details when it didn't happen.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

VanSandman posted:

I think it should be a thread rule that the stories are all true, especially when they aren't

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

VanSandman posted:

The thread would be pretty empty (and would have very little point) except for the email posters if we just treated every one like STDH.txt. At least some of them have to be true so there's no harm in discussing them as if they were. Some are obvious like the alien ones and nobody needs to post to call those out as being fake but the kid killer one is at least plausible even though the story doesn't add up and any good police force would have taken a much closer look at the guy if it really happened.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
It would be cool if the people would come up with more believable stories though. I for example am the "presidente for lifetime" of a small banana republic in south america but I'd never write a confession about it itt because nobody would buy that anyways

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A kid wouldn't dent a delivery truck's bumper at all. Those things are rigid as hell. My buddy is a delivery driver for UPS and he says that he smacks into things all the time and the only thing wrong is maybe a little paint from the other vehicle rubbing onto the truck. Fun fact! UPS has an agreement with the city of Chicago to pay one lump sum per year for all the parking tickets they get so UPS drivers just throw them away and don't worry about where they're parking at all.

Police Automaton posted:

It would be cool if the people would come up with more believable stories though. I for example am the "presidente for lifetime" of a small banana republic in south america but I'd never write a confession about it itt because nobody would buy that anyways

Are you per chance hiring? I'll accept pretty much any position.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I like how the obvious conclusion of "he committed suicide because of the guilt of what we had done" doesn't even get considered. He either killed himself because he got fired or someone murdered him.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I liked parallel universe one. I'd like to believe some guy just had a seizure inside a large pot at Home Depot and now he thinks he lived in an alternate plane for years.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Parallel universe goon, write what happened starting from waking up in the desert and ending with getting shot, then put it on kindle and maybe you'll get a couple bucks out the deal

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

any good police force would have taken a much closer look at the guy if it really happened.
lol you think the police care about crimes that don't threaten capitalist hegemony

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Parallel universe goon, write what happened starting from waking up in the desert and ending with getting shot, then put it on kindle and maybe you'll get a couple bucks out the deal

So like that one anime with all the depressing stuff and child wars? Near Far Here There or something?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I'm pretty sure the Transall Saga has been available on Kindle for ages already.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

lol you think the police care about crimes that don't threaten capitalist hegemony

The police aren't in fact a giant hivemind and there are police officers and detectives who do their job properly.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The police aren't in fact a giant hivemind and there are police officers and detectives who do their job properly.
McNulty always gets pulled off the case too early. I know how this goes

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Solice Kirsk posted:

So like that one anime with all the depressing stuff and child wars? Near Far Here There or something?

Now and Then, Here and There

Not even sure how it was marketed as "entertainment" because it was pretty much "depression on disc"

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

HAT FETISH posted:

I think it should be a thread rule that the stories are all true, especially when they aren't

I agree one hundred percent. Life is so loving weird and random that some of these that scream STDH.txt probably did happen.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Parallel universe goon: Please give us as thorough a sample of the other world's dialect as possible. I understand you may not spell everything "correctly" but syntax/usage should be pretty on point if you learned enough that you occasionally slip into using it.

Language experts would, at the very least, be able to verify that it seems like a plausible, cohesive dialect and that it isn't currently in use on THIS earth.

burial fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 23, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

limp_cheese posted:

I agree one hundred percent. Life is so loving weird and random that some of these that scream STDH.txt probably did happen.

Honestly calling stories fake in threads like this should get you a healthy probie

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

McNulty always gets pulled off the case too early. I know how this goes

:same:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Parallel universe goon: Please give us as thorough a sample of the other world's dialect as possible. I understand you may not spell everything "correctly" but syntax/usage should be pretty on point if you learned enough that you occasionally slip into using it.

Language experts would, at the very least, be able to verify that it seems like a plausible, cohesive dialect and that it isn't currently in use on THIS earth.

Dear Harvard Linguistics Expert,

Enclosed is a post from the something awful dot com forums...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Honestly calling stories fake in threads like this should get you a healthy probie

Complaining about people calling stories fake should get an equal or greater probation

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Saying "That post is fake!!!" and nothing else ought to be considered :effort:, since that's like saying "your post is made up of letters and words".

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Heres a fake story for you:

I once shat ants in my pants, and you know what? It MADE MY BELLY BUTTON DANCE.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

OBJECTION, those ants would be much more concerned with protecting their colony than organizing a navel hoedown, should any of them in fact survive their anal imprisonment

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Chard posted:

OBJECTION, those ants would be much more concerned with protecting their colony than organizing a navel hoedown, should any of them in fact survive their anal imprisonment

Double objection, the ants weren't dancing, the belly button was.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Here are some confessions, hopefully they will end the "fake or not?" derail:

quote:

I was self-owned at work when I was a young idiot and, in the spirit of growing up, I'm going to post it here.

I used to pick on a guy at work who was short, skinny and, I assumed, a wimp. Constantly berating him behind his back, making fun of him to others, and a few things I said to his face. One day I guess he had enough and proceeded to beat the absolute poo poo out of me. I was a chubby guy with no athletic skill, I'm guessing he had some kind of martial arts training.

He was fired though, so I guess i won in the long run?

quote:

I thought Scooby-Doo was a real dog until I was 15 years old. My parents told me that a real talking dog voiced the cartoon Scooby Doo, and I believed this. They said it was because the dog was getting older and couldn't perform in public like it used to, but people were so amazed they wanted to make sure to preserve his voice.

I also remembered seeing a "Ripley's Believe it or not" segment as a kid on Scooby Doo, but I guess that's just a fake childhood memory?

I finally found out when I got the internet at home and did some research and found out he was voiced by some guy.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Fintilgin posted:

Dear Harvard Linguistics Expert,

Enclosed is a post from the something awful dot com forums...

Hey, now. There are probably people on the forums already that are semi-qualified to do this sort of analysis. DON'T RUIN THIS.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Even if fake, shorter is better, funnier, and more interesting. Both feshes were fun!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Scooby fesh is the good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

quote:

There's a pretty famous movie based on an event in my life, but you'd never recognize me walking down the street. You've probably seen the movie, and maybe you didn't even realize it was an exaggerated version of a real life event.

On a summer night in 1984, when I was 6 years old, something landed in the woods outside my family farm. My dad, brandishing a shotgun and taking our family bloodhound with him, went in to the woods. He was never seen alive again.

Our farm and 2 neighboring farms were under assault that entire night. Windows were smashed, doors were pounded on, and all the livestock was either stolen or slaughtered. Phone lines were not working and we were utterly terrified one of these things would get into the house and kill us. Our mom hid my brother and I in a bedroom closet, and the things never got in our house. The assault ended when the sun rose, and we called the police then.

I was too young to go with the police, so I can't verify any of this. But we were told that the police found dozens of animals cocooned in trees, wrapped in a pink fibrous organic substance. The animals had been drained of blood. They also found my dad and our dog, and I didn't find this part out until much later, for obvious reasons. But they told my mom what they found.

My dog had been twisted and bent and tied, like someone trying to make a balloon animal out of a flesh and blood creature. Bones had been pulverized in some spots, and in others they were wildly jutting out through tears in the skin.

My dad's chest was flattened and his ribs and internal organs were destroyed. The police theorize he was hit multiple times with a heavy object, something swung like a mallet or a baseball bat. His gun was found a few feet away and the barrel had been melted with an organic acid.

There was, of course, a massive coverup. That afternoon agents from the CDC were at our farms. They cleared away most of the forest, packing up several of the cocoons but then burning others and burning the trees and brush around them. The area where the thing crashed was apparently just a charred crater, and they scooped up a bunch of the soil from around there, several 18-wheelers full. We were paid for the damage to our barn, our house, our property, and our livestock. And then quite a bit of hush money to never mention it again. All told, I believe my mom cleared nearly 10 million dollars, but she never shared the true finances with us.

Four years later a movie came out, Killer Klowns from Outer Space. I do not know the filmmakers. I do not know if this was a government dis-info project. I don't know if they attempted to tell the true story but the government forced them to change it. But I do wonder if this is how a survivor of the Titanic felt when the James Cameron movie came out - a combination of terror reliving a terrible night, awe at seeing your story told, and indignation knowing someone is profiting off a personal tragedy.

quote:

I was struck by lightning in my teen years and I believe it destroyed a vital part of me. I have no emotions any more.

I was dating a girl at the time and, after the strike, I didn't feel anything for her. We got into a massive argument over this, well really, she did. I just stood there and clinically responded to her angry shouts and tears. We broke up and I still feel absolutely nothing about that whole relationship, despite us dating for nearly 2 years before that and her having been my first kiss, which used to mean a lot to me.

This has caused me a lot of issues since then as well. I don't make friends and don't really talk to people. My life is waking up and going to work. When I get home, most of the time I just sit in the dark until I fall asleep on the couch. Things that people have recommended as hobbies don't interest me at all. Nothing really does. Work is good because it gives me set tasks to complete each day, but it's hard to keep up this feeling of success in my free time. I have errands to run and bills to pay, but it's not the same. I've tried cooking as a coworker said she enjoyed it, but it's so much work for minimal interest. Yes, things taste "good" but the work to caloric intake ratio is all skewed.

I feel a lot of monotony in my life, especially when I compare it to stories people at work tell each other. But I have no real reason to change things, it's working right now and it's not as if I'd have any fun doing anything else anyway.