Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Regular Nintendo posted:

Is anyone else seeing this sweet russian antivirus commercial

This owns

uh

russian antivirus commercials = maybe time to update ur ad blocker settings

also ed blocker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
“Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here.'
- from "Collected Sayings of Maud'Dib'' by the Princess Irulan”

and that's why we don't read any of the brian/kja books

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVq9t5TnWjo

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Happy Defender of the Fatherland Day, everyone!

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Toby 2020

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

the black husserl posted:

laurie penny wrote an article on Milo's followers that is both extremely smart and extremely lol

quote:

These are men, in short, who have founded an entire movement on the basis of refusing to handle their emotions like adults.

:trumppop::trumppop::trumppop::trumppop:

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

BDM is so fukken good. not dillinger escape plan good, but pretty awesome

e: too drunk can't spell

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
penny's written some good stuff about Milo in the past too

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

deadgoon posted:

“Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now, it's complete because it's ended here.'

this is basically how i design software though

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
“The convoluted wording of legalisms grew up around the necessity to hide from ourselves the violence we intend toward each other. Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. You have done violence to him, consumed his energy. Elaborate euphemisms may conceal your intent to kill, but behind any use of power over another the ultimate assumption remains: "I feed on your energy.”
― Frank Herbert, Dune Messiah

"SEE YOU IN COURT"
― President Donald J. Trump, Twitter

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

i wondered if she was the one who wrote that article, i remembered it cause of the title

also, all of those kids that work for milo should be murdered but that's just like my opinion man

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
dehumanize yourself and face to trump thread

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

there wolf lamo posted:

dehumanize yourself and face to trump thread

okay done what next

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
oh poo poo i havent thought that far

-trump admin

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Baloogan posted:

okay done what next

put your head through this hole and look down into the basket please

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

does this dude even tweet anymore

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
pull the rope next to you

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

toby is just another paid protester pretending to be a 7 year old, why won't the camera pan to him

dishonest media

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Seriously get back on fuckin' twitter Trump you dummy I need some rants

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

no

it sucks

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

bannon threw his phone up a flight of stairs

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Duscat posted:

to be fair to lincoln, that day probably caught him a little by surprise
i think sometimes about how much better subsequent events went in the timeline where lincoln just stuck with hannibal hamlin as his vp instead of picking goddamn johnson as a show of bipartisanship

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Leviathan posted:

hahaha

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

seems to have slowed down since he realized his tweets could be held against him in supreme court

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/NASA/status/834467934835789827

Life uhh... finds a way.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Leviathan posted:

:perfect:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

there wolf lmao posted:

oh poo poo i havent thought that far

-trump admin & GOPe

tweaked your post a little.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Leviathan posted:

:smith:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

quick someone send a message to this solar system asking for help

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Leviathan posted:

:wow:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

reminder that its 7pm

http://www.livenewschat.eu/politics/

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Leviathan posted:

lol

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

presidenting is hard :arghfist::saddowns:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ramadu posted:

first dune book is the greatest science fiction book ever written

everything after that is pretty not good

I disagree, though among fans of the first book, I'm in the minority for that. The only bland one is Children, which suffers for being separated from the more interesting and thematically-coherent Messiah. (They were conceived early as one book. Their separation is why Messiah is so short.) The first novel benefits from being written at least twice; Herbert published it first as a serial. The demands of the serial format restrained Herbert's tendency to wander on about a single theme overlong, and forced him to build real points of tension regularly into the narrative. The later books lack that, and they're weaker for it.

The first book has the weakest prose of the series, though. It's written like Dick & Jane Experiment with Psychotropic Drugs to Build a Militant Theocratic Insurgency. As the series moves forward, Herbert grows in basic compositional skill. By God-Emperor, Herbert no longer presents a jarring mismatch of amateur prose and sophisticated ideas. That's also the only other one of the series written twice: Herbert wrote a first-person journal by Leto II before writing the novel in its published form. For my money, God-Emperor has the best balance of qualities. A whole lot of people seem to hate it, though.

After God-Emperor, Herbert's wife is dying and he needs to rattle off novels as fast as he can, to pay her medical bills. While he (unbelievably) still has new, interesting ideas to narrate, he just doesn't get to refine the presentation at all. If you like the Flash and his struggles against the cat-people who enslave the galaxy with loving, rock on.

Even the weakest of the original Dune series is worth reading at least once, as part of a full read through the series. Don't read any of the sequel's "written" by Kevin Anderson and Herbert's kid, though.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Baloogan posted:

okay done what next

pray for hypernormalization

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Squizzle posted:

I disagree, though among fans of the first book, I'm in the minority for that. The only bland one is Children, which suffers for being separated from the more interesting and thematically-coherent Messiah. (They were conceived early as one book. Their separation is why Messiah is so short.) The first novel benefits from being written at least twice; Herbert published it first as a serial. The demands of the serial format restrained Herbert's tendency to wander on about a single theme overlong, and forced him to build real points of tension regularly into the narrative. The later books lack that, and they're weaker for it.

The first book has the weakest prose of the series, though. It's written like Dick & Jane Experiment with Psychotropic Drugs to Build a Militant Theocratic Insurgency. As the series moves forward, Herbert grows in basic compositional skill. By God-Emperor, Herbert no longer presents a jarring mismatch of amateur prose and sophisticated ideas. That's also the only other one of the series written twice: Herbert wrote a first-person journal by Leto II before writing the novel in its published form. For my money, God-Emperor has the best balance of qualities. A whole lot of people seem to hate it, though.

After God-Emperor, Herbert's wife is dying and he needs to rattle off novels as fast as he can, to pay her medical bills. While he (unbelievably) still has new, interesting ideas to narrate, he just doesn't get to refine the presentation at all. If you like the Flash and his struggles against the cat-people who enslave the galaxy with loving, rock on.

Even the weakest of the original Dune series is worth reading at least once, as part of a full read through the series. Don't read any of the sequel's "written" by Kevin Anderson and Herbert's kid, though.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

deadgoon posted:

fuckjn agrwedo

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Squizzle posted:

nice meltdown

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Leviathan posted: