Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lassitude posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/123930372

Stream of Bretonnia campaign but also mentions some other changes. In particular they're toning down welves so they're no longer "the Green Chaos".

I also heard they are doing something to Walls and Garrisons!

The speculation going on right now is that tier 3 cities will automatically get walls, with the garrison building acting as just what it says it does, gives you more garrison units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
That's silly, Chaos was never as good as wood elves are.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Gejnor posted:

The speculation going on right now is that tier 3 cities will automatically get walls, with the garrison building acting as just what it says it does, gives you more garrison units.

Thank jesus, I'm sick of having to dedicate a permanent slot to putting walls in settlements

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Walls without the extra garrison troops might still be hard to defend against a full stack, which is a good thing since that'll lead to more siege defenses. If the AI knew it didn't have to build siege equipment every time I think there'd be a lot more defensive siege battles. Most of the time your best units can break down the gate before a ram even gets there, especially the beastmen, greenskins and chaos, but they're too cautious and wait till they have an overkill amount of towers before assaulting which gives players all the time to reinforce.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

LordAbaddon posted:

Thank jesus, I'm sick of having to dedicate a permanent slot to putting walls in settlements

What the hell else are you gonna build? TWW province management is so simplified as to be nearly redundant. I get their fear after the horrible tedium of Atillas province management but at least you had some choices to make.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Trujillo posted:

Walls without the extra garrison troops might still be hard to defend against a full stack, which is a good thing since that'll lead to more siege defenses. If the AI knew it didn't have to build siege equipment every time I think there'd be a lot more defensive siege battles. Most of the time your best units can break down the gate before a ram even gets there, especially the beastmen, greenskins and chaos, but they're too cautious and wait till they have an overkill amount of towers before assaulting which gives players all the time to reinforce.

I think there's a mod for more aggressive siege AI, might give it a try next campaign.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Gejnor posted:

Yeah, that's what it looks like. The guard building no longer adds walls, and the CA guy did quip that walls are "built in".

Also the crusader thing for Bretonnia is looking to be p cool. Their techs even give them various attrition immunities, including Chaos and Cold attition immunity, presumably meaning Bretonnia will be able to stomp through Norsca and spank all those annoying rear end in a top hat vikings.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 22, 2017

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Ammanas posted:

What the hell else are you gonna build? TWW province management is so simplified as to be nearly redundant. I get their fear after the horrible tedium of Atillas province management but at least you had some choices to make.

Well for some factions its a non, issue (vampires, greenskins) but with Dwarfs and Empire it will free up slots for military or economic buildings. Plus with Bretonnia's new system of enhancement buildings for farms it means you can actually participate in that system rather than ignore it in favor of making sure your settlements are secure.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Helion posted:

It's a real thing. As the Empire I actually rather enjoy a massive threat boiling out of the South, but it being the Wood Elves is a little... Silly.

SETTRA DOES NOT SERVE can't come soon enough, tbh

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ze Pollack posted:

Settra is the #1 reason why I want Tomb Kings in this game. I also want him to literally grab the camera, look me square in the eye, and scream "SETTRA DOES NOT SERVE" when I try to issue a command to him or his army before going and wrecking face without me.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Personally I can't wait to see Arkhan the Black in action. Constantly clowning on other undead factions with Nagash's best bro 4 life is gonna be awesome.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Wood Elves ruined the campaign for me because I always have to make a beeline for them and engage in a bloody series of battles that sees us both enter a death spiral and once they're all dead and their trees burn, I switch off the game.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

JBP posted:

Wood Elves ruined the campaign for me because I always have to make a beeline for them and engage in a bloody series of battles that sees us both enter a death spiral and once they're all dead and their trees burn, I switch off the game.

This would be a good idea for a psychological short story tbh

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Ze Pollack posted:

This guy gets it. Also, Tomb Kings will look incredible.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Helion posted:

This guy gets it. Also, Tomb Kings will look incredible.

Also, High Queen Khalida. She had better be the other/another starting Legendary Lord, given that her home base is well away from Settra's and she has a different way of doing things.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I just need fat dead toads, crocodile men and glorious jungle temples

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
New player thanks to the Bundle. I feel like I'm managing alright, if not great, in the battles, but I'm struggling with the strategic layer. I'm playing Dwarfs on normal difficulty and I start out by retaking the starting region and doing the quest battle. And then...? I'm not sure how much I should be pushing out to conquer. Do I need to always be on the offensive with multiple armies, or am I spreading myself too thin?

Actually, I know it says that Dwarfs are the easy start, but is that really true? Might I be better off with the boyz, for instance, when learning the game?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

New player thanks to the Bundle. I feel like I'm managing alright, if not great, in the battles, but I'm struggling with the strategic layer. I'm playing Dwarfs on normal difficulty and I start out by retaking the starting region and doing the quest battle. And then...? I'm not sure how much I should be pushing out to conquer. Do I need to always be on the offensive with multiple armies, or am I spreading myself too thin?

Actually, I know it says that Dwarfs are the easy start, but is that really true? Might I be better off with the boyz, for instance, when learning the game?

I'd say dwarves and vampire counts are the easiest factions to start with. As Dwarves after taking the starting province your first goal should probably be to kill the greenskin faction before they start to confederate too much or pick up any steam. If you kill the main greenskin tribe they won't be able to confederate. Have one main offensive stack and have a smaller stack to defend with until you get walls up. Once the greenskins are dead it takes a lot of the pressure off so you can move at your own pace after that.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Dwarf campaign seemed way easier than orcs to me. For one, you don't have to fight against dwarfs. Not having to constantly check on your routing troops to see if they are ready to get back into the fight is a nice bonus.

What really helped me as dwarfs is sending the free rune priest over to orc lands and level up using special skills. Get the bonus growth talent maxed out and bring him back home. You need level 4 cities earlier than most factions because most of your important buildings (like the ones that increase hero caps) require level 4 or 5.

Do the same with an early thane and beeline extra xp for recruited units and you are well on your way to making GBS threads out triple gold chevron dwarf warriors that are way too good for how much you spend on them.

Tech and talents that improves dwarf warriors are also really good. They take punches well above their class, freeing up tons of gold for fancy artillery or hammers.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 23, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Dwarfs barely ever run away, their heroes can fight armies solo, regular warriors are great, range is great, they can negate magic and their arty is top notch. They're the easiest way to learn the game but can get a bit boring because the strategy is always to create an impenetrable wall of dwarfs and let the other guy smash into it until he gives up.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
VC should probably be recommended as the starter faction, tbh.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

I've always found their arty to be decent but nothing like doom divers.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The only tricky part about dwarfs is occasionally having to deal with Grimgor + a waaagh early in the game. I kind of feel like the VC are the easiest campaign faction as you can do pretty well just chilling in your starting region and other factions will often do the bulk of your work for you.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Dr Snofeld posted:

Dwarves are strong in the battles but their strategic position is kinda precarious. Their grudge mechanic kinda gives them a natural death spiral system, where if you don't watch out things get worse and worse for them. Their infrastructure growth is pretty slow, but their initial units are strong.... until Chaos arrives and then you realise all your quarrellers do jack poo poo against armoured units oops

Greenskins are weakest in the battles to start off with but they are pretty strong strategically, they can poo poo out armies. They need to tech up to deal with their nemeses effectively though.

Empire are maybe a medium, but they also need to focus on the diplomacy mode. And also the free updates have made things hard for them.

VC are probably the easiest base faction, though maybe it takes a bit to get your head around. They have pretty strong units and their strategic position is very safe. OTOH the Isabella DLC will be out soon so maybe you want to wait for that.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 23, 2017

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

One of my remaining big questions is what they're going to do with game 3, mapwise, considering the games have to be standalone. Conventional wisdom says game 2 is Ulthuan and Lustria. If so, that works fine on its own.

But then, if tombkings and ogres are game 3 that's going to make for a very weird L shaped map

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
As the Dwarfs I think you need to go South to fight Grimgor. You can start North if you want to, but the AI will know, and Grimgor will go take a poo poo all over the Silver Road. I mean that literally. Do as you wish but remember that I warned you dog.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't really believe they will really stick with the Master Plan, they'll just have it as an initial guideline.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Cythereal posted:

Also, High Queen Khalida. She had better be the other/another starting Legendary Lord, given that her home base is well away from Settra's and she has a different way of doing things.

Victory Conditions
The following factions must be eliminated:
Vampire Counts, Mousillon, Vampire Counts, Schwartzhafen, Vampire Counts, Templehof, Vampire Counts.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Well if they're going to put Khalida in they basically have to put Neferata in.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wiegieman posted:

Neferata would make sense if they ever added an espionage system. One of the Lahmians' big things is that armies are for losers.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

wiegieman posted:

Make sure they don't forget the vagina bones :downs:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
For dwarves I start out unifying the silver road, then try to beat zhufbar to mount gunbad for the gold mine. VC usually takes out zhufbar quickly enough to take its secondary settlement. Then build a second army and go sack the greenskins to your heart's content. Once you have a good amount of treasure (or if the other dwarvish factions start taking all the provinces) start occupying. 3 to 4 good provinces are all you need to support armies good enough to beat the game.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

Make sure they don't forget the vagina bones :downs:

Khalida is more of a mummy actually:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fangz posted:

I don't really believe they will really stick with the Master Plan, they'll just have it as an initial guideline.

do the lizardmen even know the master plan beyond the first step of kill the races not part of the master plan?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fauxtool posted:

do the lizardmen even know the master plan beyond the first step of kill the races not part of the master plan?

Not one bit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

Not one bit.

Well. They have all these fancy tablets that tell them bits and pieces of the master plan. Or how the world used to be. Or how it should be. Or experiments the Old Ones tried. It's fuzzy and the Lizardmen don't understand the difference.

Won't stop them from moving continents when they find a tablet showing a map of the world and one of the continents is currently in the wrong place, though.

Easy to figure the Lizards' legendary lords will be Lord Kroak, Lord Mazdamundi, Kroq-Gar, and maybe Tehenhuain.

For those unfamiliar with the lizards, Kroak is the dude responsible for that bit of "no, gently caress you plate tectonics" I mentioned. He is also dead and has been for a few thousand years, but he's got poo poo to do.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Lizardmen basically have no idea what they're doing, but know that SOMETHING needs doing and it's incredibly important, so they try to figure it out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

The Lizardmen basically have no idea what they're doing, but know that SOMETHING needs doing and it's incredibly important, so they try to figure it out.

Well, that's mostly just the Slann. The lizardmen themselves are just as happy to spend their days slaughtering demons, skaven, dark elves, human conquistadores, and anyone else who tries to steal the priceless tablets the lizardmen use for record-keeping because for some reason everyone really wants this incredibly useful shiny metal that doesn't rust or tarnish and is very malleable and easy to work with.

Much like the Tomb Kings, they'll probably have a campaign mechanic where everyone has a strong incentive to go bother them and they have a strong incentive to go paste whoever's been loving with them. Neither faction gets out of their homeland much except to take their poo poo back or, in the case of the lizards, when the Slann tell them to because of cryptic instructions they found on an ancient tablet.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Well. They have all these fancy tablets that tell them bits and pieces of the master plan. Or how the world used to be. Or how it should be. Or experiments the Old Ones tried. It's fuzzy and the Lizardmen don't understand the difference.

Won't stop them from moving continents when they find a tablet showing a map of the world and one of the continents is currently in the wrong place, though.

Easy to figure the Lizards' legendary lords will be Lord Kroak, Lord Mazdamundi, Kroq-Gar, and maybe Tehenhuain.

For those unfamiliar with the lizards, Kroak is the dude responsible for that bit of "no, gently caress you plate tectonics" I mentioned. He is also dead and has been for a few thousand years, but he's got poo poo to do.

Also IIRC in the End Times he just decides that he isn't dead anymore, so he comes back to life to get more poo poo done. He's seriously my favorite lizardman character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Don Gato posted:

Also IIRC in the End Times he just decides that he isn't dead anymore, so he comes back to life to get more poo poo done. He's seriously my favorite lizardman character

And in Age of Sigmar he's something on the order of a sentient star constellation now and the lizards in general have become the cosmic Order equivalent of daemons. Sigmarskaven aren't afraid of much, but they will freak the gently caress out when encountering Sigmarlizards because the Horned Rat got that badly hosed up by the lizard god of war and blood in the warp.

The lizardmen are great in general and I can't wait for them and the Tomb Kings to get added.

• Locked thread