Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Squizzle posted:

I disagree, though among fans of the first book, I'm in the minority for that. The only bland one is Children, which suffers for being separated from the more interesting and thematically-coherent Messiah. (They were conceived early as one book. Their separation is why Messiah is so short.) The first novel benefits from being written at least twice; Herbert published it first as a serial. The demands of the serial format restrained Herbert's tendency to wander on about a single theme overlong, and forced him to build real points of tension regularly into the narrative. The later books lack that, and they're weaker for it.

The first book has the weakest prose of the series, though. It's written like Dick & Jane Experiment with Psychotropic Drugs to Build a Militant Theocratic Insurgency. As the series moves forward, Herbert grows in basic compositional skill. By God-Emperor, Herbert no longer presents a jarring mismatch of amateur prose and sophisticated ideas. That's also the only other one of the series written twice: Herbert wrote a first-person journal by Leto II before writing the novel in its published form. For my money, God-Emperor has the best balance of qualities. A whole lot of people seem to hate it, though.

After God-Emperor, Herbert's wife is dying and he needs to rattle off novels as fast as he can, to pay her medical bills. While he (unbelievably) still has new, interesting ideas to narrate, he just doesn't get to refine the presentation at all. If you like the Flash and his struggles against the cat-people who enslave the galaxy with loving, rock on.

Even the weakest of the original Dune series is worth reading at least once, as part of a full read through the series. Don't read any of the sequel's "written" by Kevin Anderson and Herbert's kid, though.

sir this is a nihilist arbys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Ramadu posted:

first dune book is the greatest science fiction book ever written

everything after that is pretty not good

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

ah, i thought i recognized her writing. i hated her previous piece. it looks like, in her new one, she final began taking milo seriously.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Doorknob Slobber posted:

quick someone send a message to this solar system asking for help

please no

do not let president trump talk to aliens

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

Squizzle posted:

I disagree, though among fans of the first book, I'm in the minority for that. The only bland one is Children, which suffers for being separated from the more interesting and thematically-coherent Messiah. (They were conceived early as one book. Their separation is why Messiah is so short.) The first novel benefits from being written at least twice; Herbert published it first as a serial. The demands of the serial format restrained Herbert's tendency to wander on about a single theme overlong, and forced him to build real points of tension regularly into the narrative. The later books lack that, and they're weaker for it.

The first book has the weakest prose of the series, though. It's written like Dick & Jane Experiment with Psychotropic Drugs to Build a Militant Theocratic Insurgency. As the series moves forward, Herbert grows in basic compositional skill. By God-Emperor, Herbert no longer presents a jarring mismatch of amateur prose and sophisticated ideas. That's also the only other one of the series written twice: Herbert wrote a first-person journal by Leto II before writing the novel in its published form. For my money, God-Emperor has the best balance of qualities. A whole lot of people seem to hate it, though.

After God-Emperor, Herbert's wife is dying and he needs to rattle off novels as fast as he can, to pay her medical bills. While he (unbelievably) still has new, interesting ideas to narrate, he just doesn't get to refine the presentation at all. If you like the Flash and his struggles against the cat-people who enslave the galaxy with loving, rock on.

Even the weakest of the original Dune series is worth reading at least once, as part of a full read through the series. Don't read any of the sequel's "written" by Kevin Anderson and Herbert's kid, though.

not a single thpo or mspellingb

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

squizzle I read every word of that post and I think it's a solid analysis and review of the Dune books

gi[d jpb

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Squizzle posted:

:pipe:

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

I've got rants in my pants, and I needs me that sweet POTUS Wednesday evening tantrum.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

someone make the sun the thinking man pic

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

FBI knew that first contact with aliens was coming. They're orange and have tiny hands, so Comey made the only choice he could.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

heck, make them ALL thinking men

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

quick someone send a message to this solar system asking for help

40 lights years is relatively close. but we should prolly try to go to mars first for the relatively paltry sum of 200 billion dollars

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Leviathan posted:

bannon threw his phone up a flight of stairs

Imagine if it waswas himself, and down them

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

there is no intelligent llife on those planets. they get roasted by solar flares on the reg

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

squizzle I read every word of that post and I think it's a solid analysis and review of the Dune books

gi[d jpb

tyvm i lik ethem a lpt, v excelkebt reafds

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

That DICK! posted:

someone make the sun the thinking man pic

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Duscat posted:

uh

russian antivirus commercials = maybe time to update ur ad blocker settings

also ed blocker

I think it was local backfill on msnbc (on cable not my computer)

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Leviathan posted:

40 lights years is relatively close. but we should prolly try to go to mars first for the relatively paltry sum of 200 billion dollars

Yeah, that's even like 4 jumps on a bad ship.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

euphronius posted:

there is no intelligent llife on those planets. they get roasted by solar flares on the reg

you don't know their life

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

punchymcpunch posted:

FBI knew that first contact with aliens was coming. They're orange and have tiny hands, so Comey made the only choice he could.
so what's the reason for the "priming american assets to be sold to russia" part

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

toby is just another paid protester pretending to be a 7 year old, why won't the camera pan to him

dishonest media

dems resorting to child labor and political indoctrination smh...so progressive

put him to work in a coal mine, where god's children belong, you brainwashers

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
livenewschat is just giving me a 'connecting to stream arbitration server...' error.

:[

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Lastgirl posted:

toby is just another paid protester pretending to be a 7 year old, why won't the camera pan to him

dishonest media

all told, this is the cushier route for a crisis child actor

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

euphronius posted:

so? we have bannon. Life finds a way

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
anyone incredibly unhappy when they realize "Carson Daily" isn't dr ben carson's talk show

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Squizzle posted:

nmiucer mrwethown

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

:same:

i can respect that squizzle. i also agree that the first one was the tightest story. I just got idk tired and then paul turns into a worm and im like what the gently caress

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

the black husserl posted:

laurie penny wrote an article on Milo's followers that is both extremely smart and extremely lol

pro-click, great read

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Baloogan posted:

anyone incredibly unhappy when they realize "Carson Daily" isn't dr ben carson's talk show

lmbwao

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Baloogan posted:

There can only be one (carson)

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Mexico's Foreign Minister Rejects Trump Deportation Policy

quote:

The White House said Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and the head of Homeland Security, John Kelly, would talk to Mexican officials and "walk through" the implementation of the new immigration guidelines. They include plans to enforce an existing provision of the US Immigration and Nationality Act that allows authorities to send undocumented migrants back to Mexico, regardless of where they are from.

It is unclear whether the US has authority to force Mexico to accept foreigners. But Mr Videgaray said on Wednesday: "We are not going to accept that because we don't have to and it is not in the interest of Mexico."
lol, can't argue with the logic there

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Baloogan posted:

with that regdate im not buyin that you knew who ben carson was before you knew who carson daly was

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

euphronius posted:

who said anything about intelligent life?

there could be bacteria who are known to survive extreme conditions, which in turn probably has allowed weird and unique alien life.

As long as there is the possibility of water and the right atmospheric conditions (that shields such solar flares roasting on the reg~) and temperature, carbon based life forms will propagate.

The other 2 closest to the sun are the ones that get roasted on the reg, 3 of them are well within the habitable zone. Three of them. That's a significant chance for one of them to harbor life instead of just finding one habitable zone per solar system and us having Mars as a crapshoot as a dead rock.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Any of you sadbrains watched man in the high castle yet? Baloogan im talking directly to u

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Tonetta posted:

Any of you sadbrains watched man in the high castle yet? Baloogan im talking directly to u

havr yoy watvgegan inrhw casyke, while hogi?????

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

lmfao Maddow is doing a story on how Montana republicans are pushing back on a request to have the upcoming special election be a mail ballot election (which is being proposed due to being a cost saving measure) because too many dems might vote

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lastgirl posted:

who said anything about intelligent life?

there could be bacteria who are known to survive extreme conditions, which in turn probably has allowed weird and unique alien life.

As long as there is the possibility of water and the right atmospheric conditions (that shields such solar flares roasting on the reg~) and temperature, carbon based life forms will propagate.

The other 2 closest to the sun are the ones that get roasted on the reg, 3 of them are well within the habitable zone. Three of them. That's a significant chance for one of them to harbor life instead of just finding one habitable zone per solar system and us having Mars as a crapshoot as a dead rock.

people were saying send a message asking for help

this implies intelligent life

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

euphronius posted:

i wish tien's solar flares would roast your eyeballs on the reg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Holy poo poo this maddow report on Montana GOP is nuts.

They're literally trying to stop vote by mail via emergency order because it helps Democrats.

• Locked thread