Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
we could learn a lot from some dumb bacteria imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

:420:

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Squizzle posted:

havr yoy watvgegan inrhw casyke, while hogi?????

No I was sober mr type with index fingers only guy

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

if you guys want to read about what extraterrestial life would be like I strongly recommend Blindsight by Peter Watts

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Rock My Socks! posted:

so? we have bannon. Life finds a way

KELLYANNE CONWAY: sir, that particle beam curtain is energetic enough to strip every atom in your body of all its electrons

STEVE BANNON (SPEAKING THROUGH LORD TRUMP): anti-life finds a way

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Tonetta posted:

Any of you sadbrains watched man in the high castle yet? Baloogan im talking directly to u

ofc

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

passionate dongs posted:

we could learn a lot from some dumb bacteria imo

stevenbannococci

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

livenewschat is just giving me a 'connecting to stream arbitration server...' error.

:[

It works on my pc but not my iPad. Does the same thing. hth

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

It works on my pc but not my iPad. Does the same thing. hth

I use a Chromebook

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Tonetta posted:

Any of you sadbrains watched man in the high castle yet? Baloogan im talking directly to u

I don't care for non-fiction

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

SKULL.GIF posted:

if you guys want to read about what extraterrestial life would be like I strongly recommend Blindsight by Peter Watts

:cheers:

I think it will be fascinating to read about Donald Trump's origins

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

How far are you I am just starting season 2 ep 1 do the nazis win dont answer that last one

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Blatant admission of voter suppr3lesion right der

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

SpaceGoku posted:

I don't care for non-fiction

yeah i had all these ancient but high rated british political satire shows like yes, minister etc. queued up for a long time, thinking i'd get around to watching them some day

not gonna happen

truth has surpassed art

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Squizzle posted:

I disagree, though among fans of the first book, I'm in the minority for that. The only bland one is Children, which suffers for being separated from the more interesting and thematically-coherent Messiah. (They were conceived early as one book. Their separation is why Messiah is so short.) The first novel benefits from being written at least twice; Herbert published it first as a serial. The demands of the serial format restrained Herbert's tendency to wander on about a single theme overlong, and forced him to build real points of tension regularly into the narrative. The later books lack that, and they're weaker for it.

The first book has the weakest prose of the series, though. It's written like Dick & Jane Experiment with Psychotropic Drugs to Build a Militant Theocratic Insurgency. As the series moves forward, Herbert grows in basic compositional skill. By God-Emperor, Herbert no longer presents a jarring mismatch of amateur prose and sophisticated ideas. That's also the only other one of the series written twice: Herbert wrote a first-person journal by Leto II before writing the novel in its published form. For my money, God-Emperor has the best balance of qualities. A whole lot of people seem to hate it, though.

After God-Emperor, Herbert's wife is dying and he needs to rattle off novels as fast as he can, to pay her medical bills. While he (unbelievably) still has new, interesting ideas to narrate, he just doesn't get to refine the presentation at all. If you like the Flash and his struggles against the cat-people who enslave the galaxy with loving, rock on.

Even the weakest of the original Dune series is worth reading at least once, as part of a full read through the series. Don't read any of the sequel's "written" by Kevin Anderson and Herbert's kid, though.

why would i read this arabica filled poo poo? i can learn everything i need to about shaddam and the arrakis and desert warfare from the 1999 masterpiece Three Kings in which ice cube won an oscar for his performance

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Other good books to read:

Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, and Woken Furies by Richard Morgan. Describes what a total dystopian future would look like given relentless scientific and technological advancement, under a heavy sheet of cyberpunk x noir. Torture in particular gets really loving scary and disturbing with better and better technology and medicine

I :h: Quellcrist Falconer

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

SKULL.GIF posted:

ya but gently caress vampires

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

quote:

The personal, as everyone's so loving fond of saying, is political. So if some idiot politician, some power player, tries to execute policies that harm you or those you care about, take it personally. Get angry. The Machinery of Justice will not serve you here – it is slow and cold, and it is theirs, hardware and soft-. Only the little people suffer at the hands of Justice; the creatures of power slide out from under with a wink and a grin. If you want justice, you will have to claw it from them. Make it personal. Do as much damage as you can. Get your message across. That way you stand a far better chance of being taken seriously next time. Of being considered dangerous. And make no mistake about this: being taken seriously, being considered dangerous, marks the difference – the only difference in their eyes – between players and little people. Players they will make deals with. Little people they liquidate. And time and again they cream your liquidation, your displacement, your torture and brutal execution with the ultimate insult that it's just business, it's politics, it's the way of the world, it's a tough life, and that it's nothing personal. Well, gently caress them. Make it personal.

Things I Should Have Learnt by Now, Volume II -- Quellcrist Falconer

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, and Woken Furies by Richard Morgan. Describes what a total dystopian future would look like given relentless scientific and technological advancement, under a heavy sheet of cyberpunk x noir. Torture in particular gets really loving scary and disturbing with better and better technology and medicine

Altered Carbon was great but I couldn't get into book 2 at all.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Leviathan posted:

why would i read this arabica filled poo poo? i can learn everything i need to about shaddam and the arrakis and desert warfare from the 1999 masterpiece Three Kings in which ice cube won an oscar for his performance

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Lastgirl posted:

who said anything about intelligent life?

there could be bacteria who are known to survive extreme conditions, which in turn probably has allowed weird and unique alien life.

As long as there is the possibility of water and the right atmospheric conditions (that shields such solar flares roasting on the reg~) and temperature, carbon based life forms will propagate.

The other 2 closest to the sun are the ones that get roasted on the reg, 3 of them are well within the habitable zone. Three of them. That's a significant chance for one of them to harbor life instead of just finding one habitable zone per solar system and us having Mars as a crapshoot as a dead rock.

there could also be human like creatures just as stupid as us

we could fight them!!!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Trash Trick posted:

lmfao Maddow is doing a story on how Montana republicans are pushing back on a request to have the upcoming special election be a mail ballot election (which is being proposed due to being a cost saving measure) because too many dems might vote

Watching that too. I mentioned that Michigan needs to go to vote by mail, and someone even tried to start a ballot petition for it, but strangely enough it was the Bernouts who screamed no it's bad don't support it. The GOP did too, but not as much as the Bernouts.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
my favorite book is the way things work because it has a mammoth pooping radioactive waste

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Tonetta posted:

How far are you I am just starting season 2 ep 1 do the nazis win dont answer that last one

i bingeed it asap

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

SKULL.GIF posted:

apparently netflix is making an altered carbon series

hope its good for you :)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Altered Carbon was great but I couldn't get into book 2 at all.

God, the opening third of Book 2 was really bad I have to admit. I struggled through it and it felt like Morgan had lost his thread and just wanted to write something else entirely. Once they start doing the archaeological dig it picks back up and it has a solid and suitably explosive ending.

I wouldn't blame you for skipping it and going to the third book, though.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

did anyone say "steve banannon" yet and photoshop him as a minion and/or with a banana phone

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Baloogan posted:

i bingeed it asap

When did it.come out I just seen it two days ago and i'm pounding it like

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ramadu posted:

apparently netflix is making an altered carbon series

hope its good for you :)

oh poo poo :prepop:

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Steve banananananananananana bannon

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

steve banana boo boo

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Tonetta posted:

When did it.come out I just seen it two days ago and i'm pounding it like

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

SKULL.GIF posted:

oh poo poo :prepop:

ya
http://deadline.com/2016/01/altered-carbon-drama-series-laeta-kalogridis-netflix-skydance-1201684680/

idk who these people are but netflix has a pretty consistently high bar of quality

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mormonpartyboat posted:

there could also be human like creatures just as stupid as us

we could fight them!!!

ahaw yeaaah manifest destiny allover their native world punk asses :q:

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
Steve Banang... amegnon

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

been having dinner and watching tv. is trump still president and have the riots started yet?

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
doon is a very fun read

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ramadu posted:

ya
http://deadline.com/2016/01/altered-carbon-drama-series-laeta-kalogridis-netflix-skydance-1201684680/

idk who these people are but netflix has a pretty consistently high bar of quality

This is the best news I've had in a month

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

triple sulk posted:

been having dinner and watching tv. is trump still president and have the riots started yet?

Toby is leading the resistance now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

• Locked thread