Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I too hate jokes and wish to ruin them at every opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

I genuinely don't get what the joke was then, sorry. I thought it was a legit question. v:shobon:v

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Droyer posted:

Jeridster...

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely don't get what the joke was then, sorry. I thought it was a legit question. v:shobon:v

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Silent_Voice_(film)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm watching MSG Movie 1 and I love this 70s animation.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm watching MSG Movie 1 and I love this 70s animation.
The animation in that made me nostalgic for Hannah-Barbera cartoons I watched as a kid, and stuff like that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Raxivace posted:

The animation in that made me nostalgic for Hannah-Barbera cartoons I watched as a kid, and stuff like that.

Now I want someone to pull a Sealab 2021 and make a parody using the original animation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Oh no! I'm burning up in the atmosphere! Gotta use the reentry system!"

*Turns up the AC really high*

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/haiichuu/status/833119189938356224

wonfes pls

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

No one mentions Anime Ja Nai?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I think anime ja nai is funny but i don't particularly care for it as music.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Droyer posted:

I think anime ja nai is funny but i don't particularly care for it as music.
That's basically how I feel about it. I thought it was cute when Fumina and Sekai sang it in Try though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Waffleman_ posted:

"Oh no! I'm burning up in the atmosphere! Gotta use the reentry system!"

*Turns up the AC really high*

Mika surfing on an enemy grunt is still probably the funniest variation of that.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Tae posted:

Mika surfing on an enemy grunt is still probably the funniest variation of that.

Yet with season 2's added information on nano-laminate armor it makes a bit more sense that it worked.

It's still god damned hilarious.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think I like the second G Gundam opening the most, it's pretty much perfect for the show G Gundam is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So, what're your favourite protagonist Gundams, and why? There are three that stand out to me:

LM314V21 Victory-2 Gundam: The Le Mans racer of Gundams - clean, sleek, stylish, and futuristic even by the standards of the franchise. An excellent visual lesson in how to convey a lot of power with a little. Even its desperate pile-on-everything ultimate form, the Assault Buster, has a clarity and unity to it that many other designs lack.

RX-0 Unicorn Gundam: The Destroy Mode is a beautifully simple take on the idea of the ultimate Gundam - it's not carrying a billion guns at once (though that is an option), it's not covered in bling and gemstones, and it's not weighed down by a backpack almost as big as it is. It's simply the RX-78 Gundam manifested as an expression of divine wrath - bigger, more heroically proportioned, and carrying hideously powerful versions of its iconic weapons, its famous silhouette beginning to shatter under the enormous power it contains. It's an incredibly memorable look that drives home again what made the aging, slightly goofy original so fresh and scary. The Unicorn Mode, meanwhile, is a call to adventure in giant robot form, an eerily featureless monolith with the colour scheme of a space shuttle ready to whisk its pilot away to a more exciting place. It's alien yet familiar, a Federation war machine meant for something stranger and more special.

ASW-G-08 Gundam Barbatos: The designers had a tough brief with this one - they needed a design that was simultaneously an ultra-advanced war machine, an ancient relic of a forgotten age of heroes, and a dilapidated hunk of junk. They succeeded beautifully, creating the most unique-looking protagonist Gundam since the Turn A. I especially love how it grows up over the course of the first season, going from a skinny adolescent to a hulking, barrel-chested giant. The Season Two designs are great, too - the Lupus is a slick corporate death-machine with the rough edges ironed out (those rotating guns are super cool), while the Rex's grotesque alterations combined with the classic, cheery colour scheme make it an impressively eerie 'evil Gundam'.

How about you guys?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RX-78-2: The classic is a classic for a reason. Its design shows its age but has also aged remarkably well, especially with clean-ups like in The Origin.
G-Self: Just an overall great design used in a ton of creative ways.
Freedom Gundam: Divorced from all the stupid poo poo about the pilot, it's a genuinely great design that communicates a solid heroic silhouette and is basically made to be posed in cool ways. It's a shame the Strike Freedom shits all over it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I generally like the RX-78-2 and all the AU variations like the Srike and the AGE-1.

I'm pretty fond of the God, Turn-A, and Exia as well.

EDIT: Zeta as well for the same reason Kuvo said.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 23, 2017

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
zeta cus the macross fan in me likes robots that are also jets

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I like the ZZ for being a massive piece of poo poo. It's endearingly bad.

As for the actually good ones, the Zeta, Turn A, Gundam X, and Barbatos top my list. I like the sleeker, meaner looks of the Zeta. The asymmetry of the X and the satellite canon appearance and concept win me over too. Barbatos for the reasons listed above. Turn A for being unique and having cow transport capabilities.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ez8: The tank Gundam. Smartest beam Saber storage system, and a giant fuckoff field gun. In terms of military aesthetics this thing totally fits the "ugly beautiful" look.

I'm not fond at all of the destroy mode unicorn. I like its base form for its unique look but my enthusiasm fades once the NT-D system activates and barfs sparkly red crap everywhere.

The Alex is my other favorite not just in design but in execution. It not only looks pretty with the deep blue hue of the highlights, but it nails the design intent of the Gundam being a literal white devil. It takes its licks without breaking a sweat and then puts down a heavy assault prototype with a single gating gun blast. It is a horrific weapon given toy-like aesthetics to juxtapose its monstrous intent with the show's target demographic.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The Turn-A is also a train track, washing machine, laundry line and hot air machine at the very least. Oh, and a stage for pagan orgies.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I love the transforming Wing and Wing Zero, they just look so slick. I also adore the Zeta's face place. Other than that, I'm generally more of a fan of grunt suits. I loved the Victory grunt suits because they were just so ridiculous, and the early AGE grunts had this neat bug/dragon like design that I'm a fan of.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Freedom is gorgeous and a great design for reasons ImpAtom already pointed out. I can't stand SEED, but that design is just straight up one of the best mobile suit designs of all time.

Nu Gundam. A perfect cross between Amuro's roots and modern technology. It looks incomplete enough to make it apparent it's not finished, but not enough to detract from its design or the idea that this is Amuro's true peak. In a visual design alone it justifies and establishes that nothing in the film will have a chance at touching Amuro now.

Exia. It's sleek enough to demonstrate the aesthetic style of 00's Gundams, establishes Setsuna's character and fighting style in design alone, and is just plain loving cool. It's a shame the 00 and Qant aren't nearly as clean looking as Exia is.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Thunderbolt and the Physalis are also great villain redesigns of the usual heroic Gundam suits. The Thunderbolt especially hits it's mark just by changing the coloring.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Thunderbolt and the Physalis are also great villain redesigns of the usual heroic Gundam suits. The Thunderbolt especially hits it's mark just by changing the coloring.

Thunderbolt is a great Gunboy. Certainly my personal favourite. Love those sub-arms.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

IBO is bad but the Barbatos is very very good.

Conversely, I loving despise the Unicorn. There's too much white! It looks like they forgot to finish painting it!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

RevolverDivider posted:

Nu Gundam. It looks incomplete enough to make it apparent it's not finished,

The suit itself is finished in Char's Counterattack though, it just needed more time to give it a proper initial run to make sure it had no bugs or problems.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I really only have two, and they're almost diametric opposites:
∀ Gundam - Getting Syd Mead to redesign one of the most iconic robots in a series that is almost chained to nostalgic inertia was a ballsy move, but it worked. It's identifiably a gundam but at the same time endearingly alien in a way that I think no protagonist gundam has been since. I wish future gundam series followed its lead rather than being slaves to convention, and I can't stand the constant misguided attempts by more traditional designers to create a ∀ design that's more generically "gundam."

RX-79 [G]/Ez8 - Even with the concessions to traditional gundam design cues like the face and the v-fin, the ground gundams look and act convincingly utilitarian; the fact that they break down, get poo poo shot off them constantly, and have to receive in-field modifications and repairs due to ever-changing circumstances infuses them with actual character, like well-worn and lovingly customized M4 Sherman tanks in a universe where most of the hero robots are sleek jet fighters by comparison.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I've built something like 10 kits now and I still trim with the X-Acto because I'm too lazy to sand.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ez8: Takes what I liked about the ground unit gundam and enhances it. The Ez8 is probably more of a GM 1.5, and it looks the part. There is some fragility to this gundam.

ZZ: 50% it's the fuckoff cannon, 50% it's such a hunk of junk that Judau may be the only pilot in the franchise to handle it. A novelty gundam big enough to hug! The XX I hold in the same esteem, btw.

Honorable mention: G-Self High Torque Pack and Gundam AGE Titus.

Guys.....I think I'm just now realizing how much I enjoy the big, bulky overpowered suits. poo poo, I was just talking about the Liger Zero Panzer yesterday...:wth:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Waffleman_ posted:

IBO is bad but the Barbatos is very very good.

I was disappointed by the animation version of the 6th form, as the lineart and early model promos looked like a cool, simplified design out of the good era of Five Star Stories but in actual animation it was way too chunky and beefy. The Lupus Rex is cool though because it's a kind of aesthetic you don't really see in Gundam much, even in villain factions.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 23, 2017

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i love the exia and the turn a. those are the only ones that really stand out to me above the rest

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
I will forever love the Barbatos, and really the ibo philosophy for mobile suits, for its commitment to blunt force trauma as it's main method of damage.

It's why I love the Flauros too, those giant rear end rail guns, plus giant puppy mode.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

My 2 personal favorites are:

1.The good ol' RX-78-2,it's a classic for a reason.

2. Star Build Strike. I love its particle gimmick,and the design feels like its been heavily modified,but you can still see elements of the classic Strike in there,as opposed to the Special Snowflake suits in Try.

Speaking of Special Snowflakes, this thing exists.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

3 posted:

I really only have two, and they're almost diametric opposites:
∀ Gundam - Getting Syd Mead to redesign one of the most iconic robots in a series that is almost chained to nostalgic inertia was a ballsy move, but it worked. It's identifiably a gundam but at the same time endearingly alien in a way that I think no protagonist gundam has been since. I wish future gundam series followed its lead rather than being slaves to convention, and I can't stand the constant misguided attempts by more traditional designers to create a ∀ design that's more generically "gundam."

You've basically nailed why the Turn A is my fave, too, and I agree wholeheartedly.

I have a few other picks for myself:

RX-178 Gundam MkII: I've mentioned this before, but I really appreciate how this design seems to be the one most modern Gundams are derived from. While everything can obviously be traced back to the original RX-78-2, the MkII marks a clear point where a more modern, mechanical aesthetic was applied to create what people associate with the "traditional" Gundam. Because when you look at it, even though the original is the iconic suit, it looks fairly different from what we associate with, well, the conventional (and potentially samey) Gundam silhouette. And while the conventional Gundam design has been overexposed over the years, I still appreciate where it came from and how that changed the look of the franchise. Most obviously, the MkII reduces the slope on the front torso glacis and bulks up the chest a bit, adds some heft to the shins, and gave the shoulderplates more definition. These changes take the transitional half-barebones half-super-robot design of the RX-78-2 and create something that looks more, well, "real." Most Gundams wind up taking from the MkII while the only modern Gundam to more resemble the RX-78 in proportions and silhouette was the GN-000, which was an RX-78 homage by design.

RX-0 Unicorn Gundam: Don't look at me like that. People have already given very good reasons as to why they don't like this underpainted tron-lined up mofo and I'm not going to say they're wrong. Even so, I think it looks hecka sweet and I'm a sucker for henshin.

As I seem to have a weird fondness for white mobile suits, I also really, really like the Transient Gundam divorced from any of its context though it's obviously not a protag suit.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Gotta be the Mk. II, Zeta, Turn A and Freedom. Hate the Strike Freedom, but the regular Freedom is great. Syd Mead one of the greatest design artists. God + Nu get special mention.

Mk ii is a great evolution to the original Gundam and the Zeta goes off in a different direction unlike anything else.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The other thing I dislike about the Unicorn is how busy it manages to look while being all white. The Unicorn mode itself I don't mind, but it needs to be sleeker. There is a difference between being boxy and being jagged, and the Unicorn is definitely the latter. There is so much detailing that could be done on the Unicorn mode, but it all gets even more clusterfucked when it activates Destroy mode. Suddenly all the odd bumps and spikes on the drat thing split into three pieces and are blinded by the strawberry glow.

That said, it still looks better than the Red Frame Astray. I am convinced that suit is only as popular as it is due to its samurai sword.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The Zeta, untransformed Unicorn, and Master Gundam are my favorites.

The Zeta is the best variation on the classic Gundam design. Unicorn looks like an actual prototype, and I love the single horn look.

The Master Gundam is just the coolest goddamn thing. It has a beam cloth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gotta back the people chiming in for the mk II design. Evil or not, I am gigantic sucker for that Titans paintjob.