Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

New Netflix film The Discovery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9j6WcdU-ts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I really like the concept for the movie and a lot of people at Sundance liked it, so I'm excited to watch it myself.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The concept alone is great. It'd be realllllly hard to gently caress that up to the point where I didn't like it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Running Man is extremely good and tbh not too terribly far removed from our current reality.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAi0iD4orL4

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The Running Man is extremely good and tbh not too terribly far removed from our current reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chWMsQuljGI

The moment this country officially abandons Detroit, they'll start flying in real inmates and shoot the real deal there.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ruddiger posted:

The moment this country officially abandons Detroit, they'll start flying in real inmates and shoot the real deal there.

Is this before or after we start policing the city with Ed 209s?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Because of Manhattan's turnaround, I thought they were going to wall-off Detroit instead and make it a federal penitentiary.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Not exactly a trailer, but a prologue to Alien Covenant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkXgRlRao5I

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So hype for Covenant. Love the camaraderie before they all get horribly murdered.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Got a ticket to see Cure for Wellness. I wasn't planning on seeing it because those trailers made it look like more psychological horror which really aren't my favorite. It ends up being more of a monster movie and I really dug it.

Those trailers sucked.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The MSJ posted:

This was great. I want more prologues for other movies.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Got a ticket to see Cure for Wellness. I wasn't planning on seeing it because those trailers made it look like more psychological horror which really aren't my favorite. It ends up being more of a monster movie and I really dug it.

Those trailers sucked.

Can you elaborate? Because I was waiting for video for the same reason, but am now somewhat more interested.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Concept is tired af, but I'm easily on board for the production design and cast. Katherine Waterston is boss.

Still wish they hadn't abandoned the Prometheus premise.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Concept is tired af, but I'm easily on board for the production design and cast. Katherine Waterston is boss.

Still wish they hadn't abandoned the Prometheus premise.

Who's to say they haven't? We only know what they've been told, not what is actually going on.

I really like how you can get a good grasp of each character in this little prelude. Even the people who don't have much to say are giving us a good glimpse into their minds.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DC Murderverse posted:

Who's to say they haven't? We only know what they've been told, not what is actually going on.

I really like how you can get a good grasp of each character in this little prelude. Even the people who don't have much to say are giving us a good glimpse into their minds.

Yeah, sadly it's almost definitely cut material from the proper film, so that it can rush into murdering all of these people indiscriminately. Much like Prometheus the promotional material will be better than the film itself.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Actually Prometheus is good.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, sadly it's almost definitely cut material from the proper film, so that it can rush into murdering all of these people indiscriminately. Much like Prometheus the promotional material will be better than the film itself.

It's not cut material, it's a promo directed by Ridley's son.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bugblatter posted:

Can you elaborate? Because I was waiting for video for the same reason, but am now somewhat more interested.

It's basically a stealth vampire movie

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I really enjoyed Prometheus and that prologue clip was great.

Also, Katherine Waterston is boss.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Oh man seeing Billy Crudup, James Franco and Danny McBride all in an Alien movie is weird as poo poo but in the best way possible.

Also looks like Crudup is going to be the Reiser of this one.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I loving love Billy Crudup. Though if the trailer is any indication he goes out like a chump. Could be selective editing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

feedmyleg posted:

I loving love Billy Crudup. Though if the trailer is any indication he goes out like a chump. Could be selective editing.

His lack of being listened to and his insecurity will lead him to make a wildly catastrophic decision.

Also I worked on a movie two years ago with Crudup and he is insanely nice.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

feedmyleg posted:

He probably does, but going by the trailer, he's the guy that gives us a Xenomorph. So his death will be worth it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

So a colonization mission...they basically plopped a bunch of breeders on a cargo ship headed for dumpsterfuck nowhere and told them to have at it?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

So a colonization mission...they basically plopped a bunch of breeders on a cargo ship headed for dumpsterfuck nowhere and told them to have at it?

Breeders who specialize in terraforming. But otherwise, yeah.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

So, why include a gay couple?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Maybe they've paired off due to the knowledge that they'll never meet more human beings ever again.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SimonCat posted:

Perhaps the same reason it's theorized that it occured in evolution: if every member of the tribe is solely focused on reproduction and child-rearing, it leaves the group vulnerable and overextended. Having extra hands on the mission who are able to relieve some of that burden or be more focused on labor and resource management and cultivation only helps the larger breeding population. Making those extra hands a non-breeding long-term pair assures it.

Basically, while Danny McBride is busy yelling at his kid trying to teach him how to play baseball, the gay guys can be busy doing science poo poo and running the operation. It makes a whole lot of sense, actually.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Perhaps the same reason it's theorized that it occured in evolution: if every member of the tribe is solely focused on reproduction and child-rearing, it leaves the group vulnerable and overextended. Having extra hands on the mission who are able to relieve some of that burden or be more focused on labor and resource management and cultivation only helps the larger breeding population. Making those extra hands a non-breeding long-term pair assures it.

Basically, while Danny McBride is busy yelling at his kid trying to teach him how to play baseball, the gay guys can be busy doing science poo poo and running the operation. It makes a whole lot of sense, actually.

I remember something about the first PROMETHEUS draft having the Engineers force two men to have sex as they attempted to figure out the reproduction aspect of the newly created humans.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

cvnvcnv posted:

I remember something about the first PROMETHEUS draft having the Engineers force two men to have sex as they attempted to figure out the reproduction aspect of the newly created humans.

So apparently the Engineers were also doing :airquote:science:airquote: and :airquote:research:airquote:.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

SimonCat posted:

Those two guys could be bisexual and the couples not expected to last forever? :shrug:

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
A cute little thing for Logan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzq1IFUlV8s

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Kassad posted:

Those two guys could be bisexual and the couples not expected to last forever? :shrug:

I suppose the colonists will have to have children with multiple partners for better genetic diversity...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Have none of heard of surrogacy. Even if there is two gay men on the ship that's actually just as genetically diverse.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Logan creative content piece is cool but from the beginning I thought that arm needed to be covered in a lot more dark hair, immersion ruined.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

kiimo posted:

The Logan creative content piece is cool but from the beginning I thought that arm needed to be covered in a lot more dark hair veins, immersion ruined.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SimonCat posted:

The world of Alien, according to Ridley Scott, is one of fluid sexuality. He assumes everyone boned everyone on the Nostromo. Ash didn't get a chance because he was a late addition.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

The world of Alien, according to Ridley Scott, is one of fluid sexuality. He assumes everyone boned everyone on the Nostromo. Ash didn't get a chance because he was a late addition.

That adds another layer to Brett and Parker's relationship...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

The world of Alien, according to Ridley Scott, is one of fluid sexuality.

Hence, Prometheus's black goo.

• Locked thread