Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

JeffersonClay posted:

Never. But I'm on board with a GMI and I can understand the economics behind it so it's probably not a good idea to use me as a proxy for the average moderate democrat.

So, JeffersonClay, why in the world are you trying to push back against genuine and sustained outrage and political engagement from a shitload of working-class people? Like I have nothing against you aside from transient squabbles on a dying message board, and ostensibly we want the exact same things -- so why argue for shrewd centrism? Leave that up to the politicians, and make clear calls for what you and we want, and let them try to live up to our demands. That's how the system should work, how it was set up to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mcmagic posted:

Except the primaries had their exact intended effect in moving the party to the right all the while seeing massive electoral gains... The Republicans have never controlled more of the government at every level as they do now.

They had the chance to unseat Harry loving Reid.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

If they hadn't been so active in primaries they would've lost many races they won because their base was energized and saw results and because they were able to enforce votes from squishy members.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I don't know which party Keith is talking about... winning at the ballot box?

mcmagic posted:

If they hadn't been so active in primaries they would've lost many races they won because their base was energized and saw results or because they were able to enforce votes from squishy members.

Yeah but they targeted people largely in safe seats. I am all for putting the fear of god in people in party, just being smart about it.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's about numbers, not a hit list of specific names. Republicans understand this.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ClancyEverafter posted:

It's about numbers, not a hit list of specific names. Republicans understand this.

It's about getting a few heads on spikes.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

Except the primaries had their exact intended effect in moving the party to the right all the while seeing massive electoral gains... The Republicans have never controlled more of the government at every level as they do now.

Even if we're going to assume correlation equals causation and generalize their strategy to our situation, there's no more reason to think the republicans won because they got more extreme than because they got more conservative. Thus it's ambiguous whether we should go right or left to copy their winning strategy.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

It's about getting a few heads on spikes.

Putting Cantor's head on a spike was pretty big.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

Even if we're going to assume correlation equals causation and generalize their strategy to our situation, there's no more reason to think the republicans won because they got more extreme than because they got more conservative. Thus it's ambiguous whether we should go right or left to copy their winning strategy.

You think there is a difference?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Oh boy the democrats would have been hosed without the powerful Harry Reid - a senator who accomplished nothing during that time.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

SKULL.GIF posted:

So, JeffersonClay, why in the world are you trying to push back against genuine and sustained outrage and political engagement from a shitload of working-class people? Like I have nothing against you aside from transient squabbles on a dying message board, and ostensibly we want the exact same things -- so why argue for shrewd centrism? Leave that up to the politicians, and make clear calls for what you and we want, and let them try to live up to our demands. That's how the system should work, how it was set up to work.

Because I don't think drinking your own kool-aid is good for you and I know having just supported Hillary Rodham Clinton. We agree on the goals. If you don't want to argue about strategy then by all means stop discussing strategy.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

if this debate has any influence whatsoever on the election tmmrw then ellison is a shoo-in. the others are forgettable and perez is frankly repulsive

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I mean, its semantic, but in some ways yes. There are plenty of things that conservatives supported for decades that they no longer support because Liberals also supported them.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Kingfish posted:

Oh boy the democrats would have been hosed without the powerful Harry Reid - a senator who accomplished nothing during that time.

Harry Reid was a terrific senator.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

mcmagic posted:

There is if we're going to copy their strategy, obviously. If they won because they moved right, we should move right. If they won because they got more extreme, we should get more extreme. You need a much more robust examination of what happened to make that determination. The argument you're making isn't sufficient for the claims.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Harry Reid was a terrific senator.

And built a machine in the state of Nevada that kept his Senate seat and flipped a House race.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

mcmagic posted:

He's hinting that America is electing more republicans because Americans are warming towards conservative policy.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

The Kingfish posted:

He's hinting that America is electing more republicans because Americans are warming towards conservative policy.

I apologize for calling you dumb earlier.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Kingfish posted:

That isn't what is happening based on any empirical data.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
oh perez just say no and stop stepping on this rake

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

ugh look at this stage full of paranoid bernouts. none of them pass my purity test

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Kingfish posted:

Gerrymandering. Democrats have more support across the board, both Presidential and congressional.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The Kingfish posted:

It helps republicans to have actual semblance of organization down to the school board level. Trump's approval ratings are in the gutter and the tea party is nationally loathed. There's just no organization on the democratic side capable of turning that into electoral victory.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

mcmagic posted:

SKULL.GIF posted:

Gerrymandering. Democrats have more support across the board, both Presidential and congressional.

:agreed: I was just explaining JC's reasoning.

Personally, I don't think Americans really give a poo poo about the nitty gritties of policy. For the most part they vote based on cultural resentments and tastemakers, which is part of the reason why this DNC Chair election really matters- even when it's between two people with similar platforms

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 23, 2017

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yes, there are an endless number of confounding factors, as well.

mcmagic posted:

We can argue about that, but if you think "Look, the republicans moved right, therefore we must move left to win" is obvious on its own, you've got a big blind spot.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

The guy from South Carolina basically voicing the stupidity of saying it's "rigged."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I have no idea who this woman is but shes great.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Greene was great on superdelegates and process in general.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
lol Hillary 2020

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Big Hillary supporter here, I don't want her near the race in 2020.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

lol Hillary 2020

Why even ask? Honestly? It's like they're trying to suss out political opinions to sway the outcome here.

Edit: I mean, no poo poo, but it's just so blatant.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Big Hillary supporter here, I don't want her near the race in 2020.

yeah but theres no way to answer "gently caress no" to this question and not have the moderators slam you with a billion follow ups

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

yeah you have to make a nod to the hillfolk centrists if you want to pass their purity test

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yeah but theres no way to answer "gently caress no" to this question and not have the moderators slam you with a billion follow ups

oh yeah

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

"how are you going to protect us from hacking"

by not letting john podesta nearing a loving computer ever again

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

All these questions and I don't think Perez has ever tried to directly engage any one of them.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Office Pig posted:

All these questions and I don't think Perez has ever tried to directly engage any one of them.

I think he's a good guy, but he's not good at this kind of thing -- which again, why Ellison is just much better.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Like that right there is why Ellison is better for this job.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think he's a good guy, but he's not good at this kind of thing -- which again, why Ellison is just much better.

I don't know. I think this does both Ellison and Perez a disservice. Ellison because if he is elected Party Chair, policy isn't really going to matter. Perez because the party chair position isn't really something you can have a debate about. It's like debating with someone on purely administrative work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Mayor of South Bend should probably run for congress or does he think a gay man can't get elected in Indiana?

• Locked thread