Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Where is a good place to read all the warhams lore online. I keep finding awful wikis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

verbal enema posted:

Where is a good place to read all the warhams lore online. I keep finding awful wikis

I'd tell you if I knew, I just picked it up by running the 2nd edition of the RPG a lot and having friends who were into the wargame.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

man I need the Skaven in this game like, yesterday. I agree with the poster who said that the skaven shouldn't have siege towers; just piles of dead clan rats tall enough to scale the walls.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

TheHoosier posted:

man I need the Skaven in this game like, yesterday. I agree with the poster who said that the skaven shouldn't have siege towers; just piles of dead clan rats tall enough to scale the walls.

If this was a pre-battle thing that'd be cool.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

verbal enema posted:

I like http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Slann because its mostly word for word excerpts taken from the army books
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Slann is sometimes okay if you want to know about the meta like how certain changes were received and who the most marysue characters are along with the all important memes of the time. Just avoid anything NSFW, its all garbage

Orv
May 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

verbal enema posted:

It's a little skewed by Warhammer Fan sort of biased wankery, but it's (mostly) entertainingly written and hits the main points;

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_Fantasy_Battle

If you want word of god you'll have to dredge up army book PDFs.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Skavenslaves know no fear, because death is better than the lives they lead.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheHoosier posted:

Yeah Skaven are going to be interesting when they get added. I imagine they will probably be one of the core races of one of the sequel/expansion releases rather than a DLC thing - they've got enough unique mechanics that they'd probably have to design the rest of the content around them for it to work.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah Skaven are going to be interesting when they get added. I imagine they will probably be one of the core races of one of the sequel/expansion releases rather than a DLC thing - they've got enough unique mechanics that they'd probably have to design the rest of the content around them for it to work.

You know they're just going to use the exact same underway/beast path/roots of the world mechanic right?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cythereal posted:

The lizardmen are great in general and I can't wait for them and the Tomb Kings to get added.

Hell yeah - big ol' Stegadons fighting Necrosphinxes

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it would be nice if they made them function differently. Beast paths shouldnt just go through mountains.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I think it was an admirable decision that the Wood Elves didn't get the Shield of Civilization buff. Goddamn tree hugging bastards.

As far as the Lizardmen go, I think Kroak would be best served, at least in theory since Bretonnia isn't out yet, a superpowered unit you break out in case of emergency like The Green Knight. Only instead he functions like a suped up corpse cart, providing passive buffs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A few other things about the lizards for those unaware:

You see those fancy mounts everyone else's lords ride? Lizard lords ride t-rexes.

The primary lizard siege weapon is a laser cannon mounted on a suitably large dinosaur like a stegasaurus, triceratops, or anklyosaurus.

Slann are, pound for pound, some of the strongest mages in all of Warhammer Fantasy - and this is when they aren't slinging around unique lizard spells like Ruination of Cities. And unlike most mages, Slann can take a beating and keep on ticking.

If the datamining for Total Warhammer's expansions continues to be accurate, Lizardmen will be part of the first major expansion with the High Elves and Dark Elves. You can probably expect the lizard army to be somewhat dwarf-like in being trading speed for power and focusing on very powerful infantry backed by a few suitably gribbly monsters and/or war machines. Expect very little shooting, with the bulk of the army's ranged power coming from its spellcasters. Lizard heroes will probably be Slann, Oldbloods (heavy melee infantry), and perhaps Skink Shamans or Priests (faster but much weaker than the Slann and Saurus).

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

V for Vegas posted:

Hell yeah - big ol' Stegadons fighting Necrosphinxes

It's pretty cool how all this renewed interest in WFB will result in almost no sales for GW considering several of their armies are going out of print and the game as shown in total war does not exist anymore.

GW doesnt even sell tomb kings anymore

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 23, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fauxtool posted:

It's pretty cool how all this renewed interest in WFB will result in almost no sales for GW considering several of their armies are going out of print and the game as shown in total war does not exist anymore.

GW doesnt even sell tomb kings anymore

It's okay, though.

The people who like Space Pauldron Men apparently buy the other dumb pauldron men and they're the only ones GW cares about.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

"You should try Age of Sigmar", said GW as everyone got interested in the setting that's actually good. Nobody wants to fight over the BloodSlaughter Peaks, they want poofy sleeves.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

wiegieman posted:

"You should try Age of Sigmar", said GW as everyone got interested in the setting that's actually good. Nobody wants to fight over the BloodSlaughter Peaks, they want poofy sleeves.

40k players are apparently pretty into their dumb Age of Sigmar stuff, now.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Night10194 posted:

It's okay, though.

The people who like Space Pauldron Men apparently buy the other dumb pauldron men and they're the only ones GW cares about.

im relatively interested again now that they are actually advancing the 40k story, but i dont think I can trust them not to ruin it.

I just want to know what happens when they unplug the emperor already

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

40k players are apparently pretty into their dumb Age of Sigmar stuff, now.

Fantasy players liked End Times at first, too. People only started to sour on End Times when it became apparent that Chaos, not Nagash, was the big evil threat.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Fauxtool posted:

im relatively interested again now that they are actually advancing the 40k story, but i dont think I can trust them not to ruin it.

I just want to know what happens when they unplug the emperor already

They're bringing back the Primarchs and a quick comparison of Guilliman's Forgeworld model against the GW 40k one tells you all you need to know about how this story is going to end (bad).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

albany academy posted:

I've always found their arty to be decent but nothing like doom divers.

Grimgor's starting doom diver is the real warboss.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Grimgor's starting doom diver is the real warboss.

Yes. I often suicide armies into Grimgor *just* to kill that unit.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

They'll end 40k like they did Fantasy, Chaos wins, but 6 imperial guardsmen, 3 space marines and an eldar survive in Commragh while the Milky Way eats itself. They emerge 40000 years later to find the successors to the Tau, the Upsilons, have taken over. Warhammer 80000!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cythereal posted:

Fantasy players liked End Times at first, too. People only started to sour on End Times when it became apparent that Chaos, not Nagash, was the big evil threat.

There is also what happens every time GW tries to make a player driven narrative with special scenarios where they change the story based on what faction is winning special event battles IRL. It never goes how they plan so they do the equivalent of throwing a hissy fit and taking the ball home by heavily weighting the importance of certain battles to fit their pre-determined narrative.

That is what I remember players being the most mad about. GW putting on so many special battles and then basically ignoring the results.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cythereal posted:

No, I mean specifically, people who play 40k are getting into Age of Sigmar and that's all GW cares about.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Night10194 posted:

No, I mean specifically, people who play 40k are getting into Age of Sigmar and that's all GW cares about.

yeah cause they put space marines into it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Fauxtool posted:

There is also what happens every time GW tries to make a player driven narrative with special scenarios where they change the story based on what faction is winning special event battles IRL. It never goes how they plan so they do the equivalent of throwing a hissy fit and taking the ball home by heavily weighting the importance of certain battles to fit their pre-determined narrative.

That is what I remember players being the most mad about. GW putting on so many special battles and then basically ignoring the results.

Have a big launch concurrent with new codices where Space Marines cost half price.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Slann are, pound for pound, some of the strongest mages in all of Warhammer Fantasy

Slann are, pound for pound, also the heaviest mages in Warhammer Fantasy. The average Saurus Warrior is just as tough and strong as a Warrior of Chaos, and the Temple Guard (saurus with shields and great weapons, on grounds we are dinosaurs and do not give a poo poo) have a special Slaan-protecting formation allowing the half-ton toad mage on hover chair to get within spitting distance of the enemy, with the formation actively engaged in combat before reaching into the Winds of Magic for the "nope" button.

The Lizardmen's disadvantages are 1. they hit slower than even Dwarves 2. their armor piercing options consist of Temple Guard, magic, and hoping a stegosaur is still free 3. this whole "siege weapon" thing is a concept that confuses the saurus and frightens the skinks.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Would Nagash himself make a good Tomb King LL or is he just too far beyond everything not named Settra that he'd be better off as a special boss unit?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nagash doesnt make sense because the timeline is all wrong. He wasnt a part of the tomb kings anytime near karl franz being alive

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Nagash makes sense as an alternative to the Storm of Chaos. Shame it won't work out that way, probably.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Funky Valentine posted:

Would Nagash himself make a good Tomb King LL or is he just too far beyond everything not named Settra that he'd be better off as a special boss unit?

The latter. Nagash would be ideal as an alternate End Times style threat to happen instead of or in addition to the Storm of Chaos, giving the southern edge of the map something different to worry about.

The likely LLs for the Tomb Kings are Settra the Imperishable, High Queen Khalida, and either Arkhan the Black or Grand Heirophant Khatep. Settra is a pretty traditional combat figure, just with an awesome chariot. Khalida is deadly but lightly armored, but what you bring her for is massively buffing the Tomb Kings' ranged game. Arkhan and Khatep are the Tomb Kings' big caster lords, Arkhan is a more traditional necromancer who mainly works for Nagash, while Khatep is a wanderer looking for a way to return the Tomb Kings to flesh and blood and is much more support oriented and focused on the Tomb Kings' unique spell list.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Settra bows to no one, so if you start with anyone else he should take over when you unlock him as your primary lord.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a mod out there that makes the badlands battle maps not look like crusty old vomit?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

JBP posted:

They're bringing back the Primarchs and a quick comparison of Guilliman's Forgeworld model against the GW 40k one tells you all you need to know about how this story is going to end (bad).

Why did I go look that up? Good lord that new model looks bad compared to forgeworld's.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
:v: "Yo Settra you gonna get this volleyball game going or what?"
:hb: "Settra does not serve!"

:v: "They're killing us out there, Settra. Can't you pitch something other than a fastball?"
:hb: "Settra does not curve!"

:v: "Ah man, you just plowed through all those baby bunnies with your drat chariot, Settra!"
:hb: "Settra does not swerve!"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

VanSandman posted:

Settra bows to no one, so if you start with anyone else he should take over when you unlock him as your primary lord.

But he can work with others.

Hard to say how the Tomb Kings will work out in Total Warhammer, though. They're a flexible army, but they're not very good in general. Expect mages of some description being a part of every army, but being generally geared towards support rather than offense and to be priority targets for the enemy. Chariots will likely feature prominently as a core component of the army, while infantry and regular cavalry will be cheap but unimpressive. Ranged power in general is likely to be lacking unless Khalida is around, though they're likely to have an excellent artillery piece or two. The necrolith colossus is a near guarantee, as it's an undead giant with an enormous sword and is likely to be a good bit better than the regular giants. Fliers may or may not be a thing, the Tomb Kings have a couple and field both the cheap weak swarm variety and the big flying monster option but the sphinx may instead be represented through its walking version instead.

I dunno if Entombed Beneath The Sands will make it into the game or not. If it does, don't be fooled by the generally slow nature of the army outside their chariots - they'll have some nasty monsters that can deploy onto the battlefield right up in your business.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Aurubin posted:

Warhammer 80000!

I laughed. GW is just stupid enough that the idea of just lazily naming their next iteration 80k is in the realm of possibilities.

The real question is what is the steamhead duradin equivalent for 'Space Marines'?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

For those unfamiliar with the lizards, Kroak is the dude responsible for that bit of "no, gently caress you plate tectonics" I mentioned. He is also dead and has been for a few thousand years, but he's got poo poo to do.
That was Mazdamundi :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Captain Beans posted:

I laughed. GW is just stupid enough that the idea of just lazily naming their next iteration 80k is in the realm of possibilities.

The real question is what is the steamhead duradin equivalent for 'Space Marines'?

Void Forcers.

• Locked thread