Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Josef bugman posted:

Okay, so quick thing OPP brought out beast and Paradox/ NWW are acting like bastards.

Is the press release from paradox or from NWW?

Nothing from Paradox. They're kind of saying 'it's nothing to do with us! We just own them, we don't operate them.'

The LGBT flag on their twitter account is super loving cute too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kai Tave posted:

But to be serious for a moment if whatsisname the Dracula guy is really a diehard oWoD fanboy then it totally makes sense that he cares about canon because the old World of Darkness was very much a product of the metaplot days of TRPGs where a bunch of people decided that someone's incredibly lovely ongoing storyline actually mattered, so if he views Onyx Path as some sort of pretenders to the throne it follows that he's going to disavow everything they've done as non-canon if for no other reason than he doesn't want anyone else to have a say-so in the metaplot he undoubtledly plans on charting through this revival.

Metaplot: Still ruining loving everything decades later!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

So how is that IT-enabled future LARP coming along

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

Kurieg posted:

It also has Rose attached to it, if not at the helm, meaning things are a lot better. It's even got Valkyries who don't give two shits about what you're packing between your legs as long as you identify as a woman.

Was there anything like that in Norse mythology?

That isn't me being pithy, I'm curious if it's something I've never heard about. The Norse, if I recall correctly, had some pretty severe (and bizarre) gender roles, like how the receptive partner in man-on-man intercourse was guilty of some terrible and unmanly sin, whereas the penetrating partner was just proving how manly he was. On the other hand, I've heard that a lot of their worshiping of their gods was via emulating said god, which involved dressing and acting like said god.

Anyone know anything about this? If it's a reference to an actual myth, that'd be pretty badass.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Axelgear posted:

Was there anything like that in Norse mythology?

That isn't me being pithy, I'm curious if it's something I've never heard about. The Norse, if I recall correctly, had some pretty severe (and bizarre) gender roles, like how the receptive partner in man-on-man intercourse was guilty of some terrible and unmanly sin, whereas the penetrating partner was just proving how manly he was. On the other hand, I've heard that a lot of their worshiping of their gods was via emulating said god, which involved dressing and acting like said god.

Anyone know anything about this? If it's a reference to an actual myth, that'd be pretty badass.

My understanding is that pretty much all of our sources for Norse Myths were written down a couple generations after Christianization by people who didn't actually believe in them. That said what we do have indicates the Norse were pretty big on gender roles and were pretty terrible to men who were seen as acting unmanly. That said I don't think it is particularly important for a game to stay true to how some dudes a thousand years though we should act especially if it helps people see themselves in fiction.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
That being said, their conception of unmanly was a little more complex than is often given credit for, and not quite as harsh. One thing that gets trotted out a lot is the idea that you could be killed for being the receptive partner, and it's true that you could, but not without the other guy being liable for the killing if you had someone who was inclined to prosecute. 'He's gay so he can be killed' wasn't so much the law. Where it gets interesting is that saying someone is gay opens up the possibility for you yourself to be killed in retaliation for the insult, which shows their overall attitude to the idea of being ergi - but it also doesn't automatically mean that you have to kill them or you'll face terrible penalties yourself like some people interpret it to mean. There's also a question of honour involved, and at a certain point there's no honour involved. Most of the evidence of it is where there was honour involved, where someone responded violently and started some poo poo, so that complicates our hand-me-down perspective. We have a couple of more or less shrugged off references too.

I suspect, and this is just supposition without strong evidence, that there were probably more than a few gay fellas and transpeople who just shrugged at the accusation, accepted that they were 'unmanly', and went on with their lives while their partner/family/powerful patron if they had one protected them from anything more serious - just like most of europe at the time.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

neaden posted:

That said I don't think it is particularly important for a game to stay true to how some dudes a thousand years though we should act especially if it helps people see themselves in fiction.

This. This is why "but that's how it was!!!" or "HISTORICAL ACCURACY" are terrible things to bring up in a game. We have an opportunity to be better people, and so we should be. The exactitudes of history are for historians.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

This. This is why "but that's how it was!!!" or "HISTORICAL ACCURACY" are terrible things to bring up in a game. We have an opportunity to be better people, and so we should be. The exactitudes of history are for historians.

The other reason is the guy screaming HISTORICAL ACCURACY has usually, at best, read a wikipedia article about the subject.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Or half-remembers a two-hour lecture in high school.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Loomer posted:

Or half-remembers a two-hour lecture in high school.

And only the parts that say a woman belongs in the kitchen and Game of Thrones is sooooo realistic.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There is also some strong evidence that Norse gender roles weren't nearly as strict as we've been led to believe, given the number of women buried with weaponry and the stories about Norse shieldmaidens.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Mors Rattus posted:

There is also some strong evidence that Norse gender roles weren't nearly as strict as we've been led to believe, given the number of women buried with weaponry and the stories about Norse shieldmaidens.

True, but just because a society permits women to take up men's duties at times like combat doesn't mean it would be OK with the reverse. The Chevalier D'Eon was able to claim and find a degree of acceptance as a woman who had masqueraded as a man but probably would have been killed or imprisoned if it was known that they were biologically male who sometimes presented as a woman.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

As an OWoD fan I have to say that OPP were and are better stewards of that through the 20th Anniversary stuff than original White Wolf ever were, with the possible exception of the best of the Revised periods. Like Vampire the Dark Ages 20 is a work of goddamn art.

I have zero hope for Paradox, especially after the bullshit they've done lately.

Late to the party I know but I just started reading non D&D parts of SA again :3:

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Mors Rattus posted:

Fun fact: Many modern Asatru interpret Odin as a trans masculine person and as the God of Transpeople. He is the Man Who Made Himself. He practices magic usually reserved for women, his 12th great name is The Castrate. There is a lot of interesting evidence on the subject. Also, hanging himself from the tree is a really resonate trans-narrative: Killing one version of yourself to become a better, wiser one.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Fun fact: Many modern Asatru interpret Odin as a trans masculine person and as the God of Transpeople. He is the Man Who Made Himself. He practices magic usually reserved for women, his 12th great name is The Castrate. There is a lot of interesting evidence on the subject. Also, hanging himself from the tree is a really resonate trans-narrative: Killing one version of yourself to become a better, wiser one.

I have several trans nerd friends who would love love love this. Thank you for posting it.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Lightning Lord posted:

I have several trans nerd friends who would love love love this. Thank you for posting it.

Have an article that goes into intense detail. Warning: outdated terminology.

Basically, Odin is extremely tied to gender-variant behavior at minimum.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

neaden posted:

That said I don't think it is particularly important for a game to stay true to how some dudes a thousand years though we should act especially if it helps people see themselves in fiction.

Yeah, was not in the least bit saying otherwise, I was just curious if there was something I didn't know about.

I've now got this mental image of a pair of Valkyries dressed in super 80s anarcho-punk rocker get-ups, carrying punks who got beat-down fighting skinheads up to Valhalla.

Somewhere, there's an electric guitar decorated with a wolf pelt, called the Bearded Axe.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Loomer posted:

That being said, their conception of unmanly was a little more complex than is often given credit for, and not quite as harsh. One thing that gets trotted out a lot is the idea that you could be killed for being the receptive partner, and it's true that you could, but not without the other guy being liable for the killing if you had someone who was inclined to prosecute. 'He's gay so he can be killed' wasn't so much the law. Where it gets interesting is that saying someone is gay opens up the possibility for you yourself to be killed in retaliation for the insult, which shows their overall attitude to the idea of being ergi - but it also doesn't automatically mean that you have to kill them or you'll face terrible penalties yourself like some people interpret it to mean. There's also a question of honour involved, and at a certain point there's no honour involved. Most of the evidence of it is where there was honour involved, where someone responded violently and started some poo poo, so that complicates our hand-me-down perspective. We have a couple of more or less shrugged off references too.

I suspect, and this is just supposition without strong evidence, that there were probably more than a few gay fellas and transpeople who just shrugged at the accusation, accepted that they were 'unmanly', and went on with their lives while their partner/family/powerful patron if they had one protected them from anything more serious - just like most of europe at the time.

There's also a section on Loki's pronouns and how they're happy that modern gender politics have caught up with them. Scion 2e appears to be operating on the conceit that not only has society advanced slightly differently due to the fact that the gods and the supernatural are around and active, the gods and supernatural have all changed in meaningful ways due to the fact that mortal society is aware of them and they don't need to hide away in insular communities. One of the bits that we were given in the Kickstarter preview mentioned that nations were having to revive "Centuries old Lycanthropy Laws" to deal with the resurgence in werewolves.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Have an article that goes into intense detail. Warning: outdated terminology.

Basically, Odin is extremely tied to gender-variant behavior at minimum.

This is part of why I actually do include Odin in my personal pantheon. A lot of people go 'lol odinists' in the heathenry community because half the time Odinism is either white supremacists or fuckwits being edgy, but since I practice various forms of sorcery and don't quite align comfortably with heteronormativity, Odin is my poo poo.

From a syncretist perspective, his tree and the Kabbalistic tree metaphor are basically tailormade to work together too.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Desiden posted:

I'm actually surprised that only one dipshit apologist has shown up here so far. RPG.net's been playing whack-a-mole with the cronies for a few days now. Apparently we're not as important (though apparently no forum that points out what a piece of poo poo Zak is is important, if you believe the barrage of posts in those forums by his lackeys).

It's not that we aren't as important, it's that he tried it once and came off as such a clown that GBS noticed and decided to go after him, which is a much bigger consequence than doing it on other forums.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Loomer posted:

This is part of why I actually do include Odin in my personal pantheon. A lot of people go 'lol odinists' in the heathenry community because half the time Odinism is either white supremacists or fuckwits being edgy, but since I practice various forms of sorcery and don't quite align comfortably with heteronormativity, Odin is my poo poo.

From a syncretist perspective, his tree and the Kabbalistic tree metaphor are basically tailormade to work together too.

May everything that you pay homage to bless you, you weird and wonderful motherfucker.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
All this Odin-talk makes me even more secure of making the celestine that calls itself Odin in my own brand of shenanigans the spirit-god of crossing boundaries and mucking up taboos for power.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Rubix Squid posted:

All this Odin-talk makes me even more secure of making the celestine that calls itself Odin in my own brand of shenanigans the spirit-god of crossing boundaries and mucking up taboos for power.

Add a heaping helping of :drugnerd:: and you've checked off most of Odin's boxes.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Just don't forget simultaneously being an absolute fatalist and a perpetual optimist. Odin knows he is doomed, but he's not going to die without giving it one hell of a fight to try and avoid it. What better way to die well than to make your enemies really have to work for it!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Loomer posted:

Daeren posted:

May everything that you pay homage to bless you, you weird and wonderful motherfucker.

Yeah, wanna add my voice to saying you're a good sort, Loomer, and your in-depth posts about this stuff are super cool.

Also guess I'm just gonna buy Scion when it drops to support OPP instead of Mage, specifically because gently caress White Wolf, and secondarily because I'm very down with anything that embraces Loki's gender fluidity.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I think Vampire the Dark Ages 20th Anniversary Edition is the best World of Darkness product. Anyone else think so?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Kai Tave posted:

But to be serious for a moment if whatsisname the Dracula guy is really a diehard oWoD fanboy then it totally makes sense that he cares about canon because the old World of Darkness was very much a product of the metaplot days of TRPGs where a bunch of people decided that someone's incredibly lovely ongoing storyline actually mattered, so if he views Onyx Path as some sort of pretenders to the throne it follows that he's going to disavow everything they've done as non-canon if for no other reason than he doesn't want anyone else to have a say-so in the metaplot he undoubtledly plans on charting through this revival.

Ericsson claims one of the big strengths of the oWoD over the nWoD was that the former created a large shared world - which is true to an extent, but that world is held together with crepe tape and leftover twine. Then he goes on about how the original World of Darkness also confronted real-world issues unlike Chronicles of Darkness and my eyes roll over so fast they pull a 360°.

I don't think Martin Ericsson hates the nWoD per se but he's more of a fan of the oWoD because it's been a LARP mainstay, and White Wolf also sees it as more salable. Which is probably honestly pretty true - as much as I'd like to see them respect the current fandom, they seem more interested in chasing fans they lost. Not unlike a certain other big-game RPG developer...

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I have zero idea why they can't cater to both fandoms... it's not like major nerd products don't have alternative universes or whatever.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lightning Lord posted:

I have zero idea why they can't cater to both fandoms... it's not like major nerd products don't have alternative universes or whatever.

From a corporate perspective I'm assuming the words "brand identity" were uttered at some point.

From a personal perspective because Ericsson doesn't care about catering to Onyx Path's fans. It's his line now so he's going to cater to his own tastes.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

From a corporate perspective I'm assuming the words "brand identity" were uttered at some point.

From a personal perspective because Ericsson doesn't care about catering to Onyx Path's fans. It's his line now so he's going to cater to his own tastes.

They could do a comics trick where Chronicles is actually a product line within WoD, like it's an actual labeled alternative universe. But what do I know, I'm just some nerd.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Loomer posted:

What better way to die well than to make your enemies really have to work for it!

Well I mean the answer is "Not doing all the stupid poo poo that leads to your death in the first place". Like the whole deal with Fenrir, who lived among the Aesir and who didn't do a single thing to them before they decided to gently caress with him. It's just prophecy said that he would do stuff to them in the future, so they preemptively hosed with him. Before they get Gleipnir on him he goes "That looks weak as hell, so it won't give me honor to break it, unless it's made of magic....in which case you are totally not putting it on my leg". So they lie and say if he can't break it he's not that threatening and they will let him go free forever! And not being an idiot he goes "If you are lying I'm never getting loose, but whatever, stop calling me a pussy. Someone put their hand in my mouth and lets do this.".

To which the Aesir breathe a sigh of relief and decide who is going to lose a hand while they totally lock up a blameless person for untold years. Which takes forever because they are giant pussies and nobody wants to lose a hand. And then they laughed as Fenrir got stuck *and* Tyr lost a hand.

The story of the Norse pantheon is "The reason you all died is because you are loving monsters and you deserved it".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ericson bought the White Wolf License because he wants to be MR*H Jr and ressurect the world of darkness as he understands it.

We should be grateful that he doesn't care about CofD, could you imagine how much worse Beast would be if he had his say?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Wasn't Tyr regarded as kind of an rear end in a top hat by the rest of the Aesir?

Kurieg posted:

Ericson bought the White Wolf License because he wants to be MR*H Jr and ressurect the world of darkness as he understands it.

I think at this point the actual Mark Rein-Hagen would object to that.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Kurieg posted:

We should be grateful that he doesn't care about CofD, could you imagine how much worse Beast would be if he had his say?

Don't give him ideas

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Lightning Lord posted:

Wasn't Tyr regarded as kind of an rear end in a top hat by the rest of the Aesir?

I'm pretty sure on any given day, most of the Aesir thought the others were kind of assholes.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Mulva posted:

Well I mean the answer is "Not doing all the stupid poo poo that leads to your death in the first place".

The phone's ringing, a Mr. Oedipus wants to see you.

Course, he's got problems doing that these days.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

RandallODim posted:

I'm pretty sure on any given day, most of the Aesir thought the others were kind of assholes.

It's Always Sunny in Valhalla

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

I think at this point the actual Mark Rein-Hagen would object to that.

You're talking about the man who fake admitted to plagiarizing his own game in order to start a kickstarter to print a retreaux 70s version out of shittier materials, and has regularly taken digs at white wolf for using dice and thinking vampires are cool in the same breath that he promotes games starring succubi and zombies, but use cards, which are way better than dice.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Kurieg posted:

You're talking about the man who fake admitted to plagiarizing his own game in order to start a kickstarter to print a retreaux 70s version out of shittier materials, and has regularly taken digs at white wolf for using dice and thinking vampires are cool in the same breath that he promotes games starring succubi and zombies, but use cards, which are way better than dice.

TBF I've only paid attention to his political posts recently, this sounds hilarious though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Daeren posted:

The phone's ringing, a Mr. Oedipus wants to see you.

Course, he's got problems doing that these days.

In his case it was kind of bullshit. Like he accidentally kills his dad and nails his mother because his foster parents lie to him. He flat out asks them if they are his real parents, and they say yes, so when the oracle tells him he's going to kill his dad and marry his mom he gets the hell away from them. Does he have any pressing desire to kill his dad or have sex with his mother? Nope, but the magic future looking lady says it's going down that way, maybe you don't take any chances. Dude was operating under faulty information and tried his best to change things. The Aesir know exactly what is going to happen, and ultimately just go through the motions they know leads to their deaths. Which hey, maybe you can't change Fate that is Capital F'ed, but they don't particularly try and their actions knowing their fate aren't particularly sympathetic. It may be Fate, but the actions along that road are entirely their fault as opposed to Oedipus who is just sort of dicked in spite of trying his best. Which is why it's easier to have sympathy for him, even if they are both fundamentally in the same situation.