Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The one trap with Mozu is that she's not Donny. They may have similar backgrounds (simple country folk from a farming town that start off using lances), but while Donny turns into a beast after some levels and a reclass, Mozu is going to need a little time thanks to Aptitude being rebalanced. At least Villager can promote...into either a garbage class (Merchant) or a decent but not too hot class (Master of Arms). Still, her reclass option is Archer, aka one of the best classes in the game, so Mozu definitely works as a backup bow user on Birthright.

On Conquest, however....:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Mozu is a fun unit since Aptitude means she works well in just about any class, so you get to just spin the wheel and see what she turns into (even if it requires some support grinding).

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Feh. Isn't even wearing a pot on her head. She's no Donnel, that's for sure.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Mozu is Donnel but less so. Not nearly as annoying to level up initially, nowhere near as powerful once trained. I'm not a fan, but that's because I don't really like Archers, even with the damage buff Fates gave them. 2 range lock sucks.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Yeah, there really is no reason to use Mozu as anything but an archer. But holy is she an amazing archer. At 20/20, she's probably the best if you just look at the stats, but Takumi still has the Fujin Yumi advantage. Still, you can just field both, since they're both good and archers are quite good in this game in general. The only real downside is that archer skills really aren't that hot, but Mozu's Villager class line has good skills in it, so she can do a quick detour to get those.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

Wallet Inspector posted:

Mozu is Donnel but less so. Not nearly as annoying to level up initially, nowhere near as powerful once trained. I'm not a fan, but that's because I don't really like Archers, even with the damage buff Fates gave them. 2 range lock sucks.

Also there's another obvious choice for archer in the main party, though I admit I haven't tried training up Mozu in Fates. Hmmm.

My Rinkah and Orochi always end up incredibly beefy and I love Hana more than her upcoming counterpart. Her supports with Sakura are very :unsmith:
I want to like Subaki but he just never seems to perform for me; even when I spend the time to train him up he's just meh.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Donnel also has the benefit of his levels being reset when he Seals, so he's effectively getting 9+ more levels of Aptitude. Awakening's Aptitude Bonus is also twice as large as Fates'.

Honestly, Mozu's biggest obstacle is her HP; the base is Azura-level to the point that a 10% increase in the growth isn't going to save her. Going Archer alleviates this somewhat, but I've never felt like I needed to invest in her.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Camel Pimp posted:

Yeah, there really is no reason to use Mozu as anything but an archer. But holy is she an amazing archer. At 20/20, she's probably the best if you just look at the stats, but Takumi still has the Fujin Yumi advantage. Still, you can just field both, since they're both good and archers are quite good in this game in general. The only real downside is that archer skills really aren't that hot, but Mozu's Villager class line has good skills in it, so she can do a quick detour to get those.
I like to give Mozu one of those Dread Scrolls from the bonus rewards for buying all the paths, though I acknowledge it's a bit cheaty. Instantly gives her a big ol' boost to her base stats, and lets her use shuriken on top of that.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Archer/Sniper Mozu is a one-shot killing machine. Especially if you grab one of the skills off of Master of Arms and Dread Fighter to go with it... although at that point it's just hilarious overkill.

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
I always ended up giving her the female-only DLC class, and she ends up as one of my most potent attackers, with survivability to boot.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

InwardChaos posted:

I always ended up giving her the female-only DLC class, and she ends up as one of my most potent attackers, with survivability to boot.
The DLC classes are in general OP at low levels, but Mozu snowballs especially well with them, and it's definitely the best way to use her.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Camel Pimp posted:

The only real downside is that archer skills really aren't that hot...
What? Archers have some of the best skills in the game. +4 damage when attacking, +40 hit when attacking, and +5 damage while using bows, alongside the most powerful weapon class there is. Turn Mozu into an archer and she's basically a 100% instant delete button for any boss or powerful enemy in your way.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 23, 2017

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I actually turned Mozu into the other archer promotion class in this game and she's been incredibly useful on the Conquest side. She's not quite Donny level in terms of durability but she's fast enough and lucky enough to avoid most damage thrown her way. Also, turning her into an archer lets her pick off weakened enemies without putting herself into too much trouble.

Fates making Aptitude into a 10% growth was a great decision in my book. 20% was far too much in Awakening, even though I enjoyed making Kjelle a war goddess bent on breaking anyone in her way.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is her miss animation just backing away and refusing to attack? That's actually pretty nifty.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Glazius posted:

Is her miss animation just backing away and refusing to attack? That's actually pretty nifty.

If I recall correctly, that's actually just the regular beginning animation of her attack.

The fun part is that if you take other characters and give them the villager class, they'll do it too.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Mozu - Her growths are complimented by two things: First, she has access to Merchant, a class with an excellent growth bonus (yes, I actually calculated and ranked all the growth totals for both characters and classes; for the record, all her other classes are pretty low-tier on that front), which combines with Aptitude to make her already-respectable growths frankly ridiculous... and they're even well-distributed on top of that; for those of you determined to make her an archer, said class uses bows and lances, and there's nothing stopping you from swapping her to the Archer tree when she caps if that isn't good enough. Second, she also has access to Master of Arms, a very good melee class, should you not want another archer (never underestimate the power of TOTAL CONTROL OF THE WEAPON TRIANGLE). Both as promotions to her BASE class, for the record. Anyway, lectures on the potential power of her base class's promotions aside, as a character she's not that bad, I say. There're worse, at the least.

If you want to know what her growth rates look like in the Merchant class, assuming she's got Aptitude equipped (and why wouldn't she if you're training her?): HP 60%, Str 70%, Mag 15%, Skl 70%, Spd 70%, Lck 70%, Def 55%, Res 45%. It may only be about 10-19 levels, but those levels are probably gonna make her an absolute MONSTER in physical combat. So yeah, for best results you're gonna want to level Mozu as a Merchant and then switch her to whatever class you ACTUALLY want her to be.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Are those nineteen levels gonna really be much more than a +2 at best compared to other options?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
'Total control of the weapon triangle' is a a nice idea in theory but the weapon grind is really bad in this game, unless you like swinging with Bronze weapons for too long a time. I mean I can't remember a time when I used all three weapon types on a Great Knight. Usually they just focused on whichever they'd already built up and maybe dipped into another one for easy kills.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Last Celebration posted:

Are those nineteen levels gonna really be much more than a +2 at best compared to other options?

I can't believe you're asking this. Of COURSE better growths are worth it! A single point can literally mean the difference between victory and a TPK in Fire Emblem! ...ahem, sorry, I must've been possessed by the spirit of Serious Business. But anyway, like I said, while it probably won't amount to large stat increases compared to her other class options, those increases are still totally worth it.

ApplesandOranges posted:

'Total control of the weapon triangle' is a a nice idea in theory but the weapon grind is really bad in this game, unless you like swinging with Bronze weapons for too long a time. I mean I can't remember a time when I used all three weapon types on a Great Knight. Usually they just focused on whichever they'd already built up and maybe dipped into another one for easy kills.

We have already established that Raider weapons are a thing. Give someone a katana and naginata, train their Axes until they can use iron (or a Hoe, as the case may be), and they're good to go- they don't even NEED to cap their weapon skills for them to be useful. I mean, the right tool for the job gets things done a lot more easily than brute-forcing it in at least 90% of cases, right? Being able to rely on consistently having weapon advantage can compensate for... I dunno, tempted to say 3 points in every stat? And this is before even getting into weapons that specifically target a type of unit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Fyi I'm not using a heart seal until basically chapter 13 so all this talk about archer mozu is a long ways away.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If you're lucky enough to pick up a Raider weapon, sure. Remember that they're RNG from My Castle, so you might not ever get one. And if you're doing an 'honest' run where the stuff from the castle is banned, then they're off-limits.

You could throw an Arms Scroll at them to make them viable enough to use Iron at least.

Masters of Arms aren't a horrible class, but stat-wise they're usually just a hair too slow or weak to be optimal, kind of like Heroes.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

Fyi I'm not using a heart seal until basically chapter 13 so all this talk about archer mozu is a long ways away.

I expect Merchant Mozu to make an appearance at some point, then.

ApplesandOranges posted:

If you're lucky enough to pick up a Raider weapon, sure. Remember that they're RNG from My Castle, so you might not ever get one.

They can also be found in Challenges (also known as "revisit old maps to level grind"), so I never had any shortage of supply until I started forging them. Sidelong Yumi, on the other hand, I have actually had shortages of. Not that I expect Tae to actually GRIND, really, at least beyond what's necessary for supports, but it's something to keep in mind for those of us who're playing on our own. Of course, you'll probably say something along the lines of "why not grind out weapon ranks while you're at it" (which I do), but Raider weapons, unlike weapon ranks, are transferable as needed, so when the character you're using can equip Iron or Steel, give that to them and pass the Raider stuff on to someone who can't. And if you're REALLY having supply problems, then even the joke weapons will do.

Of course, all this is irrelevant on Conquest, where not only can you not do Challenges, but you can't get Raider Katana/Naginata/Yumi OR Sidelong Yumi. But then we're talking about Birthright right now.

ApplesandOranges posted:

And if you're doing an 'honest' run where the stuff from the castle is banned, then they're off-limits.

By "honest" you mean "challenge" right? Because that's literally the only reason I can see to NOT use a mechanic that the creators obviously intend you to take full advantage of. I mean, online stuff? Yeah, I can see that being banned for regular play (if only for how grindy it can get), but not actual, in-game, non-DLC items which aren't even all that hard to find.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

C Supports

Yes, the "Surveillance Notes—Corrin" on your notebook suggested as much.

I've sometimes wondered if I'm too familiar.

My tactics are beyond reproach.

You remember now, and that's all that matters to me.

Goodness. You make it sound like I've never spoken to you before!

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

CptWedgie posted:

Of course, all this is irrelevant on Conquest, where not only can you not do Challenges, but you can't get Raider Katana/Naginata/Yumi OR Sidelong Yumi. But then we're talking about Birthright right now.

Are you saying that the MyCastle won't give you these weapons on Conquest? Because they totally will.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

C Supports

Yes, the "Surveillance Notes—Corrin" on your notebook suggested as much.

...Dammit Saizo, does your primary personality trait really have to be paranoia?! I mean, I know espionage is literally your job, but there's no need to take it THAT far.

Tae posted:

I've sometimes wondered if I'm too familiar.

I honestly don't have much to say about this one.

Tae posted:

My tactics are beyond reproach.

Subaki, maybe you should take a step back and really look at yourself before you continue calling yourself "perfect." You're nowhere near strong enough to solo anything, you're apparently too stupid to consider bringing backup, and you can't even be bothered to keep track of your allies so you don't get isolated. I'd expect that sort of attitude to get you court-martialed in a real military.

Tae posted:

You remember now, and that's all that matters to me.

By "remember" I'm pretty sure Silas means that he wrote the places the Avatar wanted to go down, and still carries the list with him for some unfathomable reason.

Tae posted:

Goodness. You make it sound like I've never spoken to you before!

Kaze takes his job drat seriously, I see. And apparently Azura's a bit of a hermit.

Camel Pimp posted:

Are you saying that the MyCastle won't give you these weapons on Conquest? Because they totally will.

I've never gotten a Nohr-side castle drop in Birthright, so I'd assume that you can only get weapons from your current route (Katana/Naginata/Clubs/Yumi/Shuriken/Scrolls in Birthright, Swords/Lances/Axes/Bows/Knives/Tomes in Nohr). I wasn't saying that the castle wouldn't give items, I was just saying it wouldn't give THOSE SPECIFIC items. BIG difference, wouldn't you say?

Of course, I haven't played the Nohr route myself yet, so I could, admittedly, be mistaken. Not expecting it due to the evidence I've got thus far, but it's possible. Unfortunately, it's unlikely I'd believe you without a screenshot or something, which probably can't be posted here due to spoilers, and even if said screenshot DOES turn up it's possible I'd just dismiss it as being from the third route... Honestly, it's unlikely I'll be convinced otherwise unless it actually happens to me.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Orochi might not be the best character, but she's fun to use and the game gives you a lot of ways to make up for growth rates that may not be the best. I turned her into the DLC spell casting class on one run and she was fantastic. Granted, that class makes almost any magic focused character very good.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I actually did a run of Birthright on Hard focused entirely around Orochi's Capture mechanic, to the point that she and Corrin were the only regular units I used. It was surprisingly interesting!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Time to get an armory up and see what's available.

There's a Kodachi for...Hana I guess? Not really a demand for 2 range swords right now, especially when Silas already has access to a Javelin.

A little discount for Shurikens since Kaze is manning the store today. Might as well pick one up since more Steel Shurikens don't hurt.

Tiger Spirit is basically a Steel Scroll.

Sheep Spirit is more of a utility weapon: D rank, 5 mt, +1 DEF/RES, recovers 10 HP when used as an item.

Alrighty, time to head to the next mission.

I can't tell if the Eternal Stairway is a metaphor or the textures can't actually render the steps.

Gods...these stairs seem to go on forever.
Indeed. But what did you expect? This is the Eternal Stairway. Not to worry—we've almost reached the halfway point.
Right. I suppose there is no Five-Minute Stairway we could have taken instead.
Lord Corrin, please be silent for a moment...
Yeah, that fell a bit flat. Sorry.
No, that's not it.
I'm sensing an unusual presence. I think we're being followed.
How is that possible? I haven't seen any signs of life...

Show yourself now if you wish to avoid conflict!

Oh. Sneaky fellas.

Faceless! Where did they come from?
How strange. I expected humans. The Faceless usually aren't this stealthy.
In any case, we have no time to spare. Let's take them out!

Azura, can you please guard Sakura while we deal with this?
Yes, of course.

Azura? With that HP growth?

Be careful, Corrin!
Are you ready, Kaze? Let's do this.

(A blocked attack is heard)

Stand aside or be destroyed!

*More Faceless killed*

All right, just a few more standing...

*A moment later*

Everyone, hold! Something isn't right.

Uh, ya think?

What's the matter, Corrin?
These aren't Faceless—they're people! Gods! What have we done?
I'm afraid you're right. I recognize their clothing. These people are from the Wind Tribe.
I don't understand. A moment ago, this person right here was a Faceless monster!

Who's there? Show yourself at once!

*A man teleports in*

Teleportation is some broken cheating shenanigans

Iago! What have you done?
I didn't do a thing! You're the one who struck down these poor villagers.
Why? What could you possibly have to gain...
Don't you see? This is just the beginning. Now that you're with the Hoshidans, anything is fair game.
Oh, your ignorance does tickle me. Bwahahah!

He's got a point. You are still sorta dumb.

*Teleports off*

He can teleport at will AND make anyone look like an enemy. How the hell does Nohr lose any battle.

And he's gone.
This puts us in an unfortunate position, to say the least. The route ahead takes us thorugh Wind Tribe territory. And we're going to have a hard time explaining what just happened.
Who was that maniac, anyway? Do you know him, Corrin?

I didn't know he was capable of this sort of thing. He probably made US appear to be Faceless to those poor villagers...
Well, he did do us one favor. He revealed himself to us as an enemy. I'm sure we'll have to go through him to get to King Garon.
Yes, I would expect so...

Wait, you expected Iago to be an ally or something...?

The Wind Tribe is in the desert? I expected mountains or something.

We've arrived. This is the Wind Tribe village we must pass through. Lord Corrin, are you certain you want to approach the village directly?
Yes. Trying to sneak around will only makes us seem more suspicious. Surely they'll understand that we mean them no harm.
I'm not as optimistic, but I will trust your judgment.
Ah, it looks as though the decision has been made for us...

Prepare to die.
Please wait! We can explain. It is true that we fought with some of your people. But we were deceived by an enemy from Nohr.
Please. How stupid do you think we are?
This is going well.

The japes run well in the family.

Right. Any ideas?

Sakura! Be careful!
Please forgive us. We are so s-sorry to have hurt your people. But you must understand that they appeared before us as Faceless!
Lady Sakura? You're with these brigands?
Yeah, what's going on here?
Please. You must believe us.
Lady Azura is with them too! Maybe they are telling the truth...

Well, that shows that Mikoto did indeed treat Azura like a daughter if she's as recognized as the actual Hoshidan princess.

Either way, we can't make this decision ourselves. Let's see what Chief Fuga has to say.
Very well. We would be happy to speak with your Chief Fuga.
Speak? Bwahaha! Somehow I don't think that's what the chief will have in mind.
I see...
Be careful, Corrin. I believe your strategy is sage, but... We are putting ourselves in a higly vulnerable position.
Yes, I'm well aware of that. But what choice do we have?

This chapter is a desert gimmick, pretty early as far as Fire Emblem is concerned. So Silas is sorta stifled for now for movement, though he can pair-up and give someone else +1 move.

There's also semi-recruits here. If I talk to Hinoka, the two others join so an Archer and Healer will help out regardless.

PSkill: Divine Retribution-When user doesn’t have a weapon equipped and they sustain damage from an adjacent enemy, the enemy receives half the same damage.

Azama is a relatively beefy healer, with a Hoshidan Mend Staff. He's got kind of a counter ability, but he really shouldn't be hit while being a Monk.

PSkill: Optimist-When user is healed by a staff, they recover 1.5 times the normal HP

Her base stats are pretty drat good when you consider she's only level 3, and her speed in particular is pretty good when most of the units have trouble doubling enemies. That PSkill is essentially useless though.

Hey, it's Hinoka agai-JESUS CHRIST THAT BULK

Oh wait, it's actually her Guard Naginata: C rank, 5 mt, 1 range, +5 DEF/RES. Personally, it's one of the best weapons in the game even among Ryo and Takumi's stuff.

Mini-Vote time

Vote One Off: 1 unit is left out. Corrin is mandatory.

Units: Kaze (8), Sakura (6), Azura (6), Felicia (8), Hana (6), Orochi (6), Silas (7), Mozu (4), Rinkah (7), Subaki (7), Saizo (7)

Vote Seraph Robe: Who gets the permanent +5 HP?

edit: I'm installing the Vaike Rule: Do note vote for a Seraph Robe on a person you're kicking out

Tae fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 24, 2017

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Azura can sit this one out.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Dump Saizo. No reason, I just don't like him very much.

Feed whoever's got the lowest HP the robe.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Serifina posted:

Dump Saizo. No reason, I just don't like him very much.

Feed whoever's got the lowest HP the robe.

I'll vote this too.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Drop Felicia; give the robe to Azura.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Drop Subaki, give the Robe to Hana.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Dump Mozu, she'll have plenty of opportunities to strut her stuff in Conquest. Give Azura the robe.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Give the robe to Azura, and have Saizo sit this one out

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Since his replacement just showed up, dump Subaki.

Give the robe to Sakura so she can last a bit longer.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dump Hana
Feed Rinkah

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Even with 5 more hp Azura should never be seeing the front lines.

Hold onto that Robe. Give it to Hinoka so you have a flying murder wall.

If that isn't an option then give it to Hana, I guess.

oh, and Drop Felicia. She'll be fine sitting this one out.

Valth001
Jul 20, 2014

Dump Subaki, give the robe to Azura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Drop Saizo

Seraph Azura

• Locked thread