Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Why did I go look that up? Good lord that new model looks bad compared to forgeworld's.

Can't wait to see old Leman Russ come back riding a wolf the size of a dinosaur firing a wolftime wolf-bolter loaded with smaller wolves :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Anyone ever play the old Heroes of Might and Magic games? The way the Undead factions usually worked was to slowly accrue units until you had like a trillion skeletons. I think that's a possible avenue for how to approach an apocalyptic Nagash; a slow ebb until suddenly there's like 20 armies at your doorstep. Be neat if instead of just beating the poo poo out of him you had to make a mad dash across the map and blow up his pyramid.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

JBP posted:

Can't wait to see old Leman Russ come back riding a wolf the size of a dinosaur firing a wolftime wolf-bolter loaded with smaller wolves :thumbsup:

They already released Logan grimnar's Santa sleigh pulled by hosed Up Tiny Wolves.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Captain Beans posted:

The real question is what is the steamhead duradin equivalent for 'Space Marines'?

That's been "Adedptus Astartes" for a while, but the really dumb one is "Astra Militarum" because they can't copyright Imperial Guard.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tempestus Scions is another one because stormtroopers is too easy to say.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

They already released Logan grimnar's Santa sleigh pulled by hosed Up Tiny Wolves.

40k really is an irredeemable shitpile at this stage, I agree.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Was Casket of Souls in the latest TK army list? I haven't played WFB for 10 years.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

40k has been shite far longer than that, Fantasy didnt get nearly as much attention from the troglodytes in charge so it managed to stay somewhat bearable before they decided to make one last blatant cash-grab before nuking it

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
80 new posts to the thread, wonder if some new content has come out

Oh no, it's just people posting about stupid bullshit that has absolutely nothing to do with the game this thread is devoted to

start some dead thread in trad games to jerk off into your own mouths about how you're smarter than GW's marketing group and how Age of Sigmar is REALLY DUMB YOU GUYS, no one gives a gently caress

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

HerraS posted:

40k has been shite far longer than that, Fantasy didnt get nearly as much attention from the troglodytes in charge so it managed to stay somewhat bearable before they decided to make one last blatant cash-grab before nuking it

cool. good post about the game total warhammer. i'm interested in what you have to say about the relative popularity of fantasy versus gayass space fantasy. tell me more about what you think

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
WARHAMMER I MUST POST ABOUT ALL WARHAMMERS IN ANY THREAD THAT HAS WARHAMMER IN THE TITLE. anyone want to read my necron fanfic? no? too bad. this thread has warhammer in the title so I can post about whatever I want. you see, necrons have working genitals, and furhtermore...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

terrorist ambulance posted:

Oh no, it's just people posting about stupid bullshit that has absolutely nothing to do with the game this thread is devoted to

start some dead thread in trad games to jerk off into your own mouths about how you're smarter than GW's marketing group and how Age of Sigmar is REALLY DUMB YOU GUYS, no one gives a gently caress

It was an organic discussion around Lizardmen and the ways that Sigmar sucks compared to the video game centered on the old tabletop game. Chill out.

Edit: also it's maybe the last 20 posts that were making GBS threads on things. Everything else is backstory and possible playstyle discussion about the new factions.

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 23, 2017

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

verbal enema posted:

Where is a good place to read all the warhams lore online. I keep finding awful wikis

You can download the defunct tabletop army books and other stuff: http://pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S

The rulebook is actually also a lore intro to the setting, while the army books similarly detail the various factions. That's where most people's understanding of the setting comes from.

(People ask this question on Reddit all the time and they usually get told to read 15 novels in order, that probably barely any tabletop players ever touched.)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Aurubin posted:

Anyone ever play the old Heroes of Might and Magic games? The way the Undead factions usually worked was to slowly accrue units until you had like a trillion skeletons. I think that's a possible avenue for how to approach an apocalyptic Nagash; a slow ebb until suddenly there's like 20 armies at your doorstep. Be neat if instead of just beating the poo poo out of him you had to make a mad dash across the map and blow up his pyramid.

I remember vampires not just Regenerating health but also resurrecting themselves which was pretty good. HOMM2 had Bela Lugosi vampires and 3 had Nosferatu ones. But yeah, in some ways it feels similar with hordes of skeletons you keep resurrecting.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

cool. good post about the game total warhammer. i'm interested in what you have to say about the relative popularity of fantasy versus gayass space fantasy. tell me more about what you think

WARHAMMER I MUST POST ABOUT ALL WARHAMMERS IN ANY THREAD THAT HAS WARHAMMER IN THE TITLE. anyone want to read my necron fanfic? no? too bad. this thread has warhammer in the title so I can post about whatever I want. you see, necrons have working genitals, and furhtermore...

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Funky Valentine posted:

Would Nagash himself make a good Tomb King LL or is he just too far beyond everything not named Settra that he'd be better off as a special boss unit?

Nagash boiling up from the south makes an excellent End Times 2: This Time The Orcs Have To Worry About It threat. ~canonically~ the vampires and most of the tomb kings swear allegiance to him, but counterpoint: gently caress that noise, it is so much better if an Unthinkable Alliance of Grimgor Ironhide, Thorgrim Grudgebearer, and Settra the Imperishable walk up to the King of Nerds and say "nah, gently caress you actually."

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I actually like the tabletop lore discussion cuz I was never exposed to it but I will say we've all got the idea re: tabletop players hating GW/the way wfb ended

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's going to be interesting when they have all the factions in and there are like 4 separate apocalypse scenarios happening at the same time. It's going to end up like Attila where it's less about taking over the world and more just surviving.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's going to be interesting when they have all the factions in and there are like 4 separate apocalypse scenarios happening at the same time. It's going to end up like Attila where it's less about taking over the world and more just surviving.

The survival theme fits Warhammer Fantasy way better then a conquering the world one.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Phrosphor posted:

The survival theme fits Warhammer Fantasy way better then a conquering the world one.

Yeah I'm really looking forward to some more apocalyptic stuff going on that isn't boring armour man or all conquering, teleporter cancer elves.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm looking forward to map packs by modders being implemented into the campaign. Just wish the campaign map itself wasn't so boring to look at.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I want to make a lot of cool maps. I'm bringing back the Medieval 2 style "Battle on a Literal Mountain" locations

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope there becomes a regularly updated "good map pack". The current way to add maps seems like a total pain and I will surely give up after a few maps

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

Was Casket of Souls in the latest TK army list? I haven't played WFB for 10 years.

It was, but with a functionality change: where the old version damaged all enemies who had line-of-sight to the casket when opened, the most recent rules had it fire a shot with a chance to bounce to other nearby units, potentially bouncing until it ran out of eligible targets. In exchange the Casket was no longer tied to your Liche Priest and they lifted the 1-per-army restriction.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Dartonus posted:

It was, but with a functionality change: where the old version damaged all enemies who had line-of-sight to the casket when opened, the most recent rules had it fire a shot with a chance to bounce to other nearby units, potentially bouncing until it ran out of eligible targets. In exchange the Casket was no longer tied to your Liche Priest and they lifted the 1-per-army restriction.

Did they give the army book to someone who's never even seen raiders? gently caress.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

nice meltdown

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Chaos pouring in from the north, Nagash raising an undead legion in the south, the Skaven just popping out of everything... I already like how on fire and ruined the Old World gets when the storm of chaos subsides, that would just be hilarious compounded on.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Slann are, pound for pound, some of the strongest mages in all of Warhammer Fantasy

Not sure about that. On a poundage basis you can get a lot of high elf mage lords for the weight of one Slaan.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Chaos pouring in from the north, Nagash raising an undead legion in the south, the Skaven just popping out of everything... I already like how on fire and ruined the Old World gets when the storm of chaos subsides, that would just be hilarious compounded on.

No thanks unless they bring back small defensive armies without generals, or shoehorn in teleports.
I can do without more assholes coming out of nowhere razing a ton of gold and 20 turns worth of buildings, all while they somehow move 50% further than my guys even through thick forest in raiding stance.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

sauer kraut posted:

No thanks unless they bring back small defensive armies without generals, or shoehorn in teleports.
I can do without more assholes coming out of nowhere razing a ton of gold and 20 turns worth of buildings, all while they somehow move 50% further than my guys even through thick forest in raiding stance.

You mean you don't enjoy Total War: Benny Hill?

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
Diplomacy questions:

In the older Total Wars you had to bribe people with small amounts of money each turn to get them to like you. Does this still work, or are there better ways of improving relations?

Should I only focus on the main factions and ignore the tinier states, since they eventually confederate with the big boys?

Playing my first game as the VCs, who probably aren't the best choice for diplomacy. I want to keep the dwarves off my back, and have been boosting my relations with their minors by gifts and beating up Orcs. The main dwarf faction declared war on me, though, and seems set on confederating the others. How can I keep them out of my hair while I raid the humans?

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Dartonus posted:

Whichever approach they take on the CoS, it's tied with the burrowing :skeltal:Scorpion on the TK units I'm most hyped about.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Bribery is a good finishing touch on relations. Picking on people they hate goes a longer way, generally. Be a real rear end in a top hat: assassinate their dudes, butcher their captives, raze their cities repeatedly, and that will make you more liked by their enemies. Conversely, be nice to people they like, and some of it will spill over. You also want to get the intermediate stuff sorted, like trade agreements, access rights, defensive pacts, and such, because that makes them like you.

Improve relations early, as well, since people will start to resent you for being powerful (although on the flipside, you'll have more gold to throw them and probably less pressure overall to be frugal).

Finally, relations aren't actually everything. The AI seems to take other factors into account beyond the numbers on the diplo screen: if they're pressured, weaker than you, or otherwise not really that interested in fighting you, they seem a lot more open to negotiations. Conversely, if you've wound up in their short term crosshairs, they're be stubborn about making deals with you. Its a different game, but in Napoleon Total War, for instance, I was able to, as Russia, go from a state of bloody war with France to forging a full alliance despite the relations with France being several hundred points in the hole, because they were on a very weak standing and at war with the entire rest of the world, and making their greatest enemy into their new ally was apparently something the AI can find worthwhile.

Overall, diplomacy in WTW comes across a lot more sane and bearable on average than in other TW games. If you've got a war going with a common foe, and the faction you're trying to butter has no allies and multiple threats, they're generally willing to play ball.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Promontory posted:

Diplomacy questions:

In the older Total Wars you had to bribe people with small amounts of money each turn to get them to like you. Does this still work, or are there better ways of improving relations?

Bribing is good, so is beating the poo poo out of someone they're at war with.

edit: ^ The above post is very true. When confederating having them like you helps a bit, but them being in a weak position and currently being invaded by someone else counts for a lot more.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Feb 23, 2017

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Bribery is a good finishing touch on relations. Picking on people they hate goes a longer way, generally. Be a real rear end in a top hat: assassinate their dudes, butcher their captives, raze their cities repeatedly, and that will make you more liked by their enemies. Conversely, be nice to people they like, and some of it will spill over. You also want to get the intermediate stuff sorted, like trade agreements, access rights, defensive pacts, and such, because that makes them like you.

Improve relations early, as well, since people will start to resent you for being powerful (although on the flipside, you'll have more gold to throw them and probably less pressure overall to be frugal).

Finally, relations aren't actually everything. The AI seems to take other factors into account beyond the numbers on the diplo screen: if they're pressured, weaker than you, or otherwise not really that interested in fighting you, they seem a lot more open to negotiations. Conversely, if you've wound up in their short term crosshairs, they're be stubborn about making deals with you. Its a different game, but in Napoleon Total War, for instance, I was able to, as Russia, go from a state of bloody war with France to forging a full alliance despite the relations with France being several hundred points in the hole, because they were on a very weak standing and at war with the entire rest of the world, and making their greatest enemy into their new ally was apparently something the AI can find worthwhile.

Overall, diplomacy in WTW comes across a lot more sane and bearable on average than in other TW games. If you've got a war going with a common foe, and the faction you're trying to butter has no allies and multiple threats, they're generally willing to play ball.

In addition to this good advice, some that's Vampire Count specific: get the techs that give diplomatic boosts with other factions, they're in the Lahmian tree. Makes your machinations a lot easier in general by somewhat counteracting the penalties you get from being undead monstrosities.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm looking forward to map packs by modders being implemented into the campaign. Just wish the campaign map itself wasn't so boring to look at.

Wait, I thought the map editor only let you make maps for custom battles? Or am I just reading your post wrong?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
You know, that reminds me, there was something odd as hell I saw when playing coop VC with a friend: the Bloody Spears tribe had pushed out the dwarves south of Sylvannia, and I had been pumping them with a bit of cash to get them to serve as a buffer state so I didn't have to worry about my southern flank as much. At one point, they wound up with a +20 Racial Bonus with undead instead of the malus. I wish I had taken a screenshot. Later on, when relations between us begun to sour, that bonus flipped back to being a -20.

I'm 99% sure that was just some bug or my own lying eyes or some poo poo since I'm nearly certain that those negatives are generally permanent unless you get techs (Wood Elves get some insane diplo relation boosting techs as well). But there's an offchance that the gobbos got high on the shrooms and decided "Well them deaduns are already dead, wots the sense in fighting them, then?"

It would be cool as poo poo to make a real mechanic in creating puppet states out of non-occupiable ruins or something, tho. Maybe even give them a few recruitable tier one crap from your faction for flavor, in exchange for letting you do that one cool thing in Rome 2 that let you recruit a random pool of the client faction's units while in their lands. I mean, the wood elves did it, I wanna do it too and have it blow up in my face horribly.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Greenskins can have the Vampiric Influence modifier which gives them better relations with the undead, so that would explain it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Oh, neat.

Can't find much info on that stuff, really. I wish TW stuff was better documented in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

sauer kraut posted:

It took me all of one game to figure out how to deal with this and has never been a problem since. I'm honestly still surprised it's a thing.

• Locked thread