Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Why does Basil have a lovingly framed portrait of Ratigan in his living room? :raise:

Also is our hero an opium-addicted sociopath in this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ahh, this is great, it's like every old school gag ever.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Poor Ratigan has species dysphoria

Oh welcome back Drifter, now don't do it again!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Hedrigall posted:

Why does Basil have a lovingly framed portrait of Ratigan in his living room? :raise:

Hedrigall posted:

Also is our hero an opium-addicted sociopath in this one

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hedrigall posted:

Poor Ratigan has species dysphoria

It probably has caused him such heartache and hardship, as rats are clearly unwelcome among mice. Even Ratigan, who apparently made it to the level of professor before completely snapping. :(

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
He's the 'bad apple' who stands in for everything the mice fear about themselves. You see the same paradigm at work in An American Tail with Warren T. Rat, though the ethnic- and historical-coding in that film is more explicit.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I don't know what it says about me that The Fox and the Hound and The Great Mouse Detective were my two favorite Disney movies for most of my childhood. I just connected with them on a level I never connected with any of the films from the "Disney revival" except maybe Lion King (but I still considered that #3 behind my main two).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ratigan, despite displaying excellence in many ways (including intellect and dress sense) is disdained for an aspect of himself which is outside his control.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Maybe it is we who are Ratigan :smith:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I, too, enjoy being dainty and drowning orphans.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Fox and the Hound has my favourite piece of animation in it out of anything else I've seen. The part after the bear fight, when the hunter is going to shoot Tod but Copper steps in front of him, gives me chills. The subtlety of expression on those three characters for that short scene is sublime.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ohhhh man this bar scene/song is really great. Standout part of the movie so far

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Jolly good show! Xtr33m Goofy Movie next

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

Jolly good show! Xtr33m Goofy Movie next

Hedrigall posted:

Oh welcome back Drifter, now don't do it again!

Haha, we all know it was a bullshit thing and a petty action by gonsmith, but I'll take one for the team/you since it's an entirely fair request. Back to posting beecrabs, I guess.

Promise tomorrow that you'll watch Ernest & Celestine. It's such an endearing and fun movie. I really think you'll love it.

On that note, I just remembered The Cat Returns - which is a fantastic Ghibli movie that felt a little more fairytale than something like Totoro or even Spirited Away. I won't rank it because I'm not sure where it'd place - and I think Whispers of the Heart beats it out in general, but there's less talking animals in that one. :shrug:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 23, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Will he carry on my legoofcy?

Will he care for me when I am old?

Will he remember me after I die?

Hyuck!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Why did they go to the trouble of animating a 30, no, it's got to be at least 45-second sequence of Goofy fumbling with the foil seals on his anti-depression medication and getting quietly frustrated and barely holding back tears, then hastily shoving it into the kitchen drawer when Max comes in to ask where his skateboard is?? That seems like a really weird sequence to like, storyboard and animate and do ADR and foley on, and so on

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Hedrigall posted:

Will he carry on my legoofcy?

Will he care for me when I am old?

Will he remember me after I die?

Hyuck!

Legoofcy, what is a legoofcy? It's planting seeds in the ground you never get to see.

YA-HOO-HOO-HOO-HOOEY

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hedrigall posted:

Why did they go to the trouble of animating a 30, no, it's got to be at least 45-second sequence of Goofy fumbling with the foil seals on his anti-depression medication and getting quietly frustrated and barely holding back tears, then hastily shoving it into the kitchen drawer when Max comes in to ask where his skateboard is?? That seems like a really weird sequence to like, storyboard and animate and do ADR and foley on, and so on

Huh? I just speeded through the entire film on Youtube and couldn't see that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

You're watching the sequel, right?

A Goofy Movie
An Extremely Goofy Movie

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Drifter posted:

You're watching the sequel, right?

A Goofy Movie
An Extremely Goofy Movie

Yeah, XTreem Goofy

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, XTreem Goofy

Hedrigall's probably into half a bucket's worth of sangria and 2 bags of Ferrero Rochers and is unintentionally trolling us.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Pick posted:

Even Ratigan, who apparently made it to the level of professor before completely snapping. :(

Between you and me, I don't think he studied at an accredited institution.

He also drowned widows and orphans and is voiced by Vincent Price. You can't possibly be more overtly evil than that.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Awww the librarian love interest character is adorkable! :allears:

The_Doctor posted:

No it's in the sequel, An Extremely Goofy Movie

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Awww the librarian love interest character is adorkable! :allears:

No it's in the sequel, An Extremely Goofy Movie

Right, whereabouts in the film?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I seriously need to know if Goofy is taking anti depressants.

Also the Beatnick Goof

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Well if you just pop in a copy of An Extremely Goofy Movie,

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I dont have that on me

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I dont have that on me

That is your first mistake.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Goofy is the cause of and cure to all depression

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm planning to go to the movies on Saturday and I can see either Lego Batman or The Red Turtle and aaaaah what a choice!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I liked Lego Batman well enough, but that's not a hard choice at all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I guess Batman will be in theaters for a while, but I can't say as much for Red Turtle.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

All of Tezuka's shorts are excellent.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I just watched the whole damned thing.

No. Goofy is not taking anti-depressants.

It is good to see him moving on from his dead wife, though.

Also, Max is kind of a shithead in this movie. Although, Goofy is pretty ridiculously co-dependent.

Also also...why is everyone in this movie a dog but this guy?

What's a bear doing there?

Plus what's with the weird ESPN/ESPN2 cross-promotion going on in this movie?

And there's a recurring number sequence, 4351700, that keeps popping up. It was driving me crazy, so I looked it up. Apparently it's the copyright code for Goofy's disco outfit appearance.

Oh, and remember when Pauly Shore was a thing? The 90s were a weird time.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phylodox posted:

Also also...why is everyone in this movie a dog but this guy?

I guess that being a dog is like being white, and it's a really white area? IDK

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phylodox posted:

Oh my god, Phylodox, you can't just ask someone why they're a bear.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
An Extremely Goofy movie is a bad movie

Phylodox posted:

Also, Max is kind of a shithead in this movie. Although, Goofy is pretty ridiculously co-dependent.

Also this. Like, in the first movie, it was easy to see the viewpoints of both sides. Both of them had reasons for acting the way they did, so I never felt like Max was too much of a jerk to be relatable. He was a high school kid that wanted to be independent and cool and felt trapped by his dad, everyone knows what that feeling was like. But in the sequel, he's no longer a high schooler and the entire scene where he's leaving his dad to go off to college just makes Max look like a huge rear end in a top hat. Similar with Goofy where they tried to do similar things to the first movie and went way too far in the wrong direction and made him this really weird sad co-dependent mess.

Also literally everything to do with the x-games stuff was dumb as hell. Also they eat nachos in a really gross manner. That movie sucks

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 23, 2017

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Pete is a cat, which I only recently found out.

Disney owns ESPN.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Klungar posted:

Pete is a cat, which I only recently found out.

Disney owns ESPN.

Yeah, it's kind of easier to tell if you watch some of the old black & white cartoons as he has a longer tail there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I liked An Extremely Goofy Movie as a kid (never saw the first one until about 5 years ago), but it's been a loooooong time since I last saw it - I kinda want to watch it again to see how truly bad it was. The only things I really remember are the disco dancing scene and that beatnik lady.