Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Spudd posted:

Can we riot now or what?
Only if its a protest with at least a 175% loading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Auspol February: Poors now kicked 25% harder.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So flexible that you'll break your back!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Solemn Sloth posted:

The FWC even said that many people currently rely on penalty rates just to make ends meet, but who gives a gently caress.

Yeah, the working poor are just barely holding on so let's cut their loving wages by a quarter :argh:

We live in an age where a 5% cost of living increase is literally unheard of, outside of CEOs and politicians, and now almost a million people have had their weekend rates cut by 25%.

I have a friend who works retail and he needs weekend rates to pay the bills given how much the company has cut back hours for staff. They now have salaried managers work the registers for half a day before they can do any of their own stuff because they've cut back staff so much.

It's insane and I don't know how much longer it can go on before people start just losing their poo poo "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this any more" style.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I think if there's anything the American Experiment teaches us is that people will gladly get pounded up the rear end indefinitely as long as they have someone to look down upon.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's insane and I don't know how much longer it can go on before people start just losing their poo poo "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this any more" style.

I too look forward to Australia electing the One Nation party.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

You'll just find that the Uber economy will step in and the youth will just be working for Foodora and Airtasker.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

You'll just find that the Uber economy will step in and the youth will just be working for Foodora and Airtasker.

BUT THEMS IMMGANT JOBS

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Anidav posted:

You'll just find that the Uber economy will step in and the youth will just be working as independent contractors* with Foodora and Airtasker

*really definitely not employees, nope

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anidav posted:

Bill Shorten has such an election winning hand.

gently caress Negative Gearing
gently caress the Banks
gently caress paycuts

How could you even lose the next election with political capital like that?

Depending on how likely a complete economic crash is on the horizon he might not want to get into office and get left holding the bag.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Actually I think you'll find reducing penalty rates is a good thing for Australian workers because fffffffaaaaarrrrtttt

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
The Chaser still exists and wrote this about the recent proposed cuts

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I say go all in and make all the Monday to Friday occupations work across weekends.

Banks, government departments, the lot.

They can have four rostered days off every fortnight that will be on a rolling rota. They may or may not be adjacent days. Who knows, it changes all the time.

It would be a hell of a shock to finally understand what shift workers live with.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Retail Manager Jim

"So you know how I'm a manager on a salary and I've been coming in Sundays because it's been too expensive to hire kids on Sunday rates, well I was..."

Chain Owner Bob

"Ah look I'm going to have to stop you there Jim, I've a sea bass that's waiting to be angled and frankly I don't really give a gently caress what you're about to say."

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

DancingShade posted:

Depending on how likely a complete economic crash is on the horizon he might not want to get into office and get left holding the bag.

Imagine how hosed we would be if Morrison managed such a crisis.
Such a crisis if handled delicately wouldn't reflect badly on Labor, much like the GFC.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Is it just me or does anyone else feel an epic post of rage inbound from Cartoon?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Ora Tzo posted:

Such a crisis if handled delicately wouldn't reflect badly on Labor, much like the GFC.

I hate to break this to you but the most common perception of the handling of the GFC is LABAH WASTE PINK BATTS SCHOOL HALLS DEFICIT

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ora Tzo posted:

Hasnt stopped the LNP bashing the ALP for the last loving decade about how much debt they left behind.

Hasnt stopped fuckhead tories swallowing that line and regurgitating it to all and sundry

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If the GDP figure is negative again on March 1st then we're in a recession.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
We managed to escape a recession during the GFC didn't we? loving :lol:.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

JBP posted:

More like short term profit rebound driven by mass sackings. This will look great on the old resume if I don't wait too long to bail.

drat straight. I currently work somewhere that one of the previous site directors massively neglected the infrastructure of the facility and only authorised capital expenditure on cost savings (read: automation so he could sack redeploy operators). So basically hiding the "true" cost of goods for nearly 10 years. He's since been promoted way up the chain and is now part of the executive group that is closing the place down because "oh its too run down and would need too much capital poured into it (plus we have SE asia labour market to exploit)". loving oval office drove the place into the ground to make himself look like a superstar then closes the place once he's out of harms way. Complete self-serving piece of poo poo. Played the game well though, not that that's any consolation to the 400 odd direct employees who will be out of work.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
For whatever reason I felt the need to yell into the gaping void of Australia politics in relative anonymity.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

hooman posted:

You know how stagflation is the great boogieman of Keynsian economics.

What do you can what we have now? With flat wage growth and the most productive parts of the economy being rentseeking?

neoliberalism

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Its cool how these days politicians don't have to disguise their contempt for the plebs any more.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Deadly Hume posted:

For whatever reason I felt the need to yell into the gaping void of Australia politics in relative anonymity.

:same:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

If the GDP figure is negative again on March 1st then we're in a recession.

At that point does it become a self perpetuating phenomenon as people freak out about being in a recession and stop spending or become more defensive with their money?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I teach in a regional town. Many, many of my students do part time work after school/on weekends to help support their families, and these are students that have to weigh up the choice between uniform violation punishments or a pair of shoes they actually want to be seen in outside of the campus.

BUT gently caress THEM I GUESS

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Deadly Hume posted:

Yes.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

To whoever said not even bill shorten could gently caress this up(an opinion so stupid I guess it must be Anidav)

The young guy shorten invited up on stage is:
An SDA delegate
An ALP campaign volunteer
Seen posing with Bill Shorten last election
Under an EBA rather than the award conditions

:bravo:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

What loving clowns we have for leaders.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

To whoever said not even bill shorten could gently caress this up(an opinion so stupid I guess it must be Anidav)

An SDA delegate

:discourse:

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Periphery posted:

At that point does it become a self perpetuating phenomenon as people freak out about being in a recession and stop spending or become more defensive with their money?
Like most factors in a market economy sentiment plays into everything. None the less under broad economy theory if you aren't growing things are already broken and need fixing. Good luck with team clown shoes on that.

Ten are having Shorten on one of their soft serve panel shows, looks like Malformed Trampsballs is definitely going out with the bathwater.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

An SDA delegate

I love how much you love burning my youthful hopefulness.

I suppose I love hope a little too much

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

An SDA delegate

here's the thing though: no normal people care about poo poo like this

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
My great hope from all this is that a recession hits that finally breaks the spell of people thinking the libs are better economic managers

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

BBJoey posted:

here's the thing though: no normal people care about poo poo like this

You're right, the average voter sees through media bullshit, can discern facts from fiction, and is capable of determining and following their own self interest. That's why the coalition has never been voted into power.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

My great hope from all this is that a recession hits that finally breaks the spell of people thinking the libs are better economic managers

Any recession would clearly be the fault of the labor waste we inherited (half a loving decade ago)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Solemn Sloth posted:

Any recession would clearly be the fault of the labor waste we inherited (half a loving decade ago)

They'll blame it on the crossbench first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

gay picnic defence posted:

That's never going to happen as long as Murdoch's in the tank for the Libs. Maybe if we could convince the Fed Libs to do something against the racing industry? It's a tricky one.

• Locked thread