Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I also just finished The Science of Discworld III: Darwin's Watch and it was way, way worse than the first two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
banks (rip) is great at describing an alien civilization. the different perspectives, those outside, those inside, those opposed and those supporinting

Banks is truly a Great science fiction writer. Shame he died.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

would you recommend it for someone who has a limited tolerance for space opera but an unlimited love of speculative fiction?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

this is all future prognostication however because my next book must necessarily be Hyperion by Dan Simmons, because it is our book club book

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ready player one was like reading that adam sandler movie where the world was invaded by atari games

just awful

i just finished reading ancillary justice by ann leckie and i had a good time with it. some pretty fun ideas in it that i hadnt really seen b4

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Epic High Five posted:

would you recommend it for someone who has a limited tolerance for space opera but an unlimited love of speculative fiction?

rendezvous with rama

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

366000 people also voted for trump

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i read that as what would you recommend

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Epic High Five posted:

this is all future prognostication however because my next book must necessarily be Hyperion by Dan Simmons, because it is our book club book

I started reading it and stopped right quick because for some reason it stank of the same poo poo Anathem did. I have no idea why but I kept trying to get back into reading it and every time I'd run across that fucker using the word "cantos" I'd want to throw my kindle across the house.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jose posted:

rendezvous with rama

I shall add this to the list. I've enjoyed most of Clarke's stuff

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Epic High Five posted:

The Forever War - Joe Haldeman. Don't bother with the sequel though.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

I started reading it and stopped right quick because for some reason it stank of the same poo poo Anathem did. I have no idea why but I kept trying to get back into reading it and every time I'd run across that fucker using the word "cantos" I'd want to throw my kindle across the house.

Any book around 500 pages in the fantasy genre is immediately suspect imho, as I've liked maybe 10% of the long rear end overwordy masturbatory books I've read of that length

But it's a book club and this is what the dude picked, I dunno maybe I won't hate it. When my turn comes up next I will recommend Midnight Riot but if I loving hate this book and everybody else loves it I'll probably recommend We Who Are About To or something similarly Russian and unpleasant as revenge

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hillary 2020 posted:

The Forever War - Joe Haldeman. Don't bother with the sequel though.

Already read it and love it. If you liked it I recommend Return from the Stars by Lem, a massively underrated author in the world of speculative fiction

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

its space opera + exploration of one space culture
its not really speculative fiction at all
the humans in it are like
not human
humany
the Big Space Empire That People Care About take samples of different aliens, like, at an early stage, 5000 BC and let them gently caress around in their space empire so when humans got to the point of like, becomming a space empire they are like "lol what, there are already trillions of humans chillin in space???? this sucks..."

Epic High Five posted:

i loving love hyperiono

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ramadu posted:

i just finished reading ancillary justice by ann leckie and i had a good time with it. some pretty fun ideas in it that i hadnt really seen b4

yeh i like that
firend of mine who reads poo poo (lamo reading things is like, not common) was like all the sequels of anncillary justice were like "character abc sips tea"

holy gently caress i love sci fi don'y you guy s realizes (and gals realize) that like trump being president is HELLA sci fi

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2gJNOZr564

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

i am like the target audeince for this poo poo but meh its poo poo its not actually good its not good content or ideas or writing or themess or whatever

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I like scifi but love speculative fiction, the best of which is shuffled into the genre of scifi because nobody knows what the gently caress

Le Guin is amazing, Orson Scott Card is a terrible hack

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

NERDS

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

NOT THE CANDY
THE SEXLESS WEIRDOS!!!!!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Baloogan posted:

i am like the target audeince for this poo poo but meh its poo poo its not actually good its not good content or ideas or writing or themess or whatever

from the descriptions and reviews it seems like "le memes kek, 90's kids will love this reference" the book, which would simultaneously explain why it's so popular and why people with tastes similar to mine apparently hate it

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

ITS U BTW
4 READIN
NEEEEERDDSS

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Turdfuzz posted:

NOT THE CANDY
THE SEXLESS WEIRDOS!!!!!

the candy is also sexless weirdos when u think about it

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

I like scifi but love speculative fiction, the best of which is shuffled into the genre of scifi because nobody knows what the gently caress

Le Guin is amazing, Orson Scott Card is a terrible hack

OSC is kinda clancyish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K42ED-7PWAo

there is spec fic out but its all super pessimistic which ties in to the cultural zeigheist our visionaries can't see anything but disaster and dsetrtcution and death and (at best) stagnation

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

the candy is also sexless weirdos when u think about it

i refuse to think

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Turdfuzz posted:

ITS U BTW
4 READIN
NEEEEERDDSS

does the chimp want a probation?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Turdfuzz posted:

NOT THE CANDY
THE SEXLESS WEIRDOS!!!!!

i'ma sex you

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Baloogan posted:

does the chimp want a probation?

r u at least doin audio books???

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Epic High Five posted:

Already read it and love it. If you liked it I recommend Return from the Stars by Lem, a massively underrated author in the world of speculative fiction

Stanislaw Lem is underrated now?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Baloogan posted:

yeh i like that
firend of mine who reads poo poo (lamo reading things is like, not common) was like all the sequels of anncillary justice were like "character abc sips tea"

holy gently caress i love sci fi don'y you guy s realizes (and gals realize) that like trump being president is HELLA sci fi

ah dang. that sucks cause i was lookin forward to the sequels. there is a lotta loving tea drinking though because idk water or booze or soda was banned when humans conquered the galaxy i guess and tea drinking is all thats left

(((big tea))) rules the galaxy :tinfoil:

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

why r so many scifi books fascist af

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Baloogan posted:

OSC is kinda clancyish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K42ED-7PWAo

there is spec fic out but its all super pessimistic which ties in to the cultural zeigheist our visionaries can't see anything but disaster and dsetrtcution and death and (at best) stagnation

OSC has some interesting concepts he explores but he fills his world with nothing but ridiculous Mary Sue characters who are incredible and amazing at everything no matter what for all time and nobody questions it

Like at the end of Xenocide, which is as far as I got after kind of enjoying Speaker for the Dead after hating Ender's Game, he literally writes himself out of a hole by having a couple of his Mary Sues all meet up over drinks and suddenly figure out faster than light travel.

I literally threw the book away after that bit

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

its like they star trek w/ is communist poo poo but then all the other sciifi is fucken ccrazy fasicst i swerar

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Turdfuzz posted:

r u at least doin audio books???

when i read 'read' audiobooks what actaulyl happens is i starting start thinking about what the reader is thinking about the things in the book

which is terrible with one excpetion when rimmer narrates the books in the red dwarf universe because holy poo poo ihe caputres that poo poo in the perfect manner and i love him and i cherish him and i will carry his thoughts onto the next generation god bless rimmer

i read sci fi because its what gives me hellaa brainpleasures

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Turdfuzz posted:

gotta have conflict in it etc

also lots of these authors are shitheads with awful opinions and cant stop putting their fetishes in teh books too

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Stanislaw Lem is underrated now?

He very rarely comes up when good scifi authors are being discussed, and none of his best stuff is explored well (Solaris in film being about love and blahblahblah dumb poo poo instead of submitting to the unknowable) and the rest isn't explored at all. I dunno I've read scifi for years and years and hadn't heard of him until TBB recommended him so :shrug:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
ready player one is a book for people who subscribe to loot crate and treat collecting funko pop dolls as an "investment"

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Turdfuzz posted:

if i answered this honestly with my soul bared for all to see fidel castronaught would screen shot it and be like :smug: baloogan. Oh that Baloogan. :smug: baloogan :smug: baloogan. Never the less my mission to to be honest, and provide the truth that I know, personal truth, historical truth, scientific truth. My first duty, and the first duty of all is to the truth.

its cultural stagnation in the last 40 years combined with a sociopolitical trajectory that is only becomming more and more authorarian in a way that doesn't have any escape valve

also wtf are you serious? donald. trump. DONALD TRUMP. donald trump. DONALD TRUMP THE REALITY TV STAR is the most powerful person on the planet. poo poo isn't making since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's because fascist poo poo sells because black and white good and evil sells so fascist poo poo becomes the narrative

Probably the most popular author who didn't subscribe to good versus evil, or even considered any of his characters good or evil even though some were Nazis was Vonnegut, and he is a beautiful bastard

• Locked thread