Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

ringu0 posted:

I just want to put a kickstarter header image next to this and admire how much better the actual cast looks:

(well, except Jonah. He looks the same)

Awkward At All Angles. Perfect for a victim of the Mads, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I always assumed Gypsy was supposed to be snake-like and popping out of holes in the floor, wall, etc. and traveling around the ship through tubes and vents to wherever she needed to be. Cool to see they're doing something with that apparently.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

DivisionPost posted:

HATE TOM SERVO'S NEW VOICE!!! :siren:

yeah... Hampton Yount is nailing it on the voice of Crow but Baron Vaughn isn't even close to doing a Tom Servo. I understand different actors will bring different things to the characters but it's not even close.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

yeah... Hampton Yount is nailing it on the voice of Crow but Baron Vaughn isn't even close to doing a Tom Servo. I understand different actors will bring different things to the characters but it's not even close.

Bill was nothing like Trace, yet his Crow was still awesome.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Bill was nothing like Trace, yet his Crow was still awesome.

Bill wasn't "nothing like Trace" though. Yeah, they weren't identical, but they were similar enough to be two people doing the "same" voice. Like two people playing Santa.

Kevin and J. Elvis, on the other hand, had completely different takes on Servo, so it's apparently tradition for the Servo voices to make zero attempt to ape each other.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

rydiafan posted:

Bill wasn't "nothing like Trace" though. Yeah, they weren't identical, but they were similar enough to be two people doing the "same" voice. Like two people playing Santa.

Kevin and J. Elvis, on the other hand, had completely different takes on Servo, so it's apparently tradition for the Servo voices to make zero attempt to ape each other.

Well, the twist of it is, what I've seen of Baron's standup, I've loved. Dude's a loving pisser. So I'm VERY interested in seeing his take on Servo in full action. I'm just going to have to adjust to him.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Despite having already seen the first episode (:smug:), I never noticed until just now that Jonah has the mission patches on his sleeve.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

rydiafan posted:

There's also the fact that Kevin was Tom Servo for nine seasons. That's a lot of time to get used to one voice.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I can't unsee the bad photoshopping of Felicia in that picture, I know it'd be a pain in the rear end to apply transparency to the spaces in Crow, but jeez.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Gaz-L posted:

I can't unsee the bad photoshopping of Felicia in that picture, I know it'd be a pain in the rear end to apply transparency to the spaces in Crow, but jeez.

It feels like a puzzle picture. Spot 3 things wrong with this image!

1. Half of Felicia's abdomen is missing
2. Her shadows are facing the wrong way
3. Weird black outline on her right arm

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Patton Oswalt's left arm looks all hosed up too, right where Servo starts. Maybe because he and Felicia Day are standing next to each other in the picture they cut apart to make that one?

Also I heard Felicia Day gave birth like three weeks after filming finished. I wonder if they tried to Austin-Powers out her abdomen for anything, as happens sometimes when tv actors are pregnant.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I doubt it. Felicia strikes me as one of those women who barely shows a bump until like 3 days before her water breaks.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I doubt it. Felicia strikes me as one of those women who barely shows a bump until like 3 days before her water breaks.

Pretty much. When she announced publicly that she was pregnant, which was only a couple weeks before she was due, Mary Jo Pehl tweeted at her that she had no idea when they were on set.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

Pretty much. When she announced publicly that she was pregnant, which was only a couple weeks before she was due, Mary Jo Pehl tweeted at her that she had no idea when they were on set.

Heh, I wonder if there's any gags about Grandma Pearl wanting great-grandkids.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

There's also the fact that Kevin was Tom Servo for nine seasons. That's a lot of time to get used to one voice.

It's also a very distinct voice. It's actually really jarring to go from Weinstein to Murphy, because Kevin has a sort of constant growl in his throat and harsh consonants that make him sound distinctly different. It's sort of easier to "do" Crow without imitating Trace - you just sort of talk like yourself with a bit of a nasally, teenage edge. If you want Tom Servo to sound like he did in seasons 2-10, you flat out can't without just imitating the guy who played him, at which point, I imagine you have to focus so much on that, it gets pretty hard to be funny while riffing. I'd rather have someone just do an entirely new take on the voice than trying to sound like Kevin Murphy and ending up sound like Seth Rogen with a head cold.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think Bill did a great job with Crow. Most of the time I can't really tell unless I focus for a bit. Then, yeah, it's kind of obvious but on random I have trouble telling Trace and Bill apart.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Ape of Naples posted:

I think Bill did a great job with Crow. Most of the time I can't really tell unless I focus for a bit. Then, yeah, it's kind of obvious but on random I have trouble telling Trace and Bill apart.

Trace is a bit higher pitched as far as I can tell but yeah, I couldn't really tell much of a difference between the two at first either.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I think both Kevin and Bill tried to ape their predecessors initially, but then both obviously got much better. Bill's trial by fire learning how to be a puppeteer was also a bit fraught, since you can tell in Revenge of the Creature he's not quite gotten the hang of it yet.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I think Bill's noted that it seems Crow has suffered a mild stroke in his first few episodes of the Sci Fi run.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Corbett sounds really different to me, to be honest, but again, I do think "Crow-ness" is sort of a quality a person can apply to their voice, while Servo was mostly just Kevin Murphy. Corbett's timbre is sort of lighter and dreamier; he always sounds a little more interested and a little less angry (which is interesting, given that the writing is sort of the other way around).

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Corbett sounding less angry, good one.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Servo not being Kevin will truly be my toughest thing to get around. Kevin is Servo.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

He does, though! It's the writing and material that make him angry! I watched a few of the Sci-Fi ones before I started my rewatch and both Sci Fi Crow & Dr. Forester sounds less constantly annoyed than Trace Crow.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 25, 2017

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Bicyclops posted:

He does, though! It's the writing and material that make him angry! I watched a few of the Sci-Fi ones before I started my rewatch and both Sci Fi Crow Dr. Forester sounds less constantly annoyed than Trace Crow.

Well, he didn't ask for Mike, Tom, & Gypsy to come back!

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

I don't think Corbett sounded "angry", I think his take on Crow was much more adolescent and whiney (these are not bad things for the character). He acted more like a little brother to Mike.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

ComposerGuy posted:

I don't think Corbett sounded "angry", I think his take on Crow was much more adolescent and whiney (these are not bad things for the character). He acted more like a little brother to Mike.

I agree with the assessment and also with the guy who said he will have a tough time with Kevin not being tom servo. Baron Vaughn has bigger shoes to fill than Jonah imo.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Haverchuck posted:

I agree with the assessment and also with the guy who said he will have a tough time with Kevin not being tom servo. Baron Vaughn has bigger shoes to fill than Jonah imo.

I think that's probably true if only because Joel and Mike had roughly equal amounts of time as the show lead so we're used to seamlessly flipping back and forth between Joel and Mike episodes.

But for most of us there has effectively only ever been one Servo.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ComposerGuy posted:

That's a good way to put it, actually. Trace Crow is also a younger brother but he's the one that's less than a year younger, is irritated and constantly trying to be edgy. Corbett Crow is a whiny, easily distracted kid brother who's mad that he isn't always in on the joke. I like both of them, but they're way different, and I love the idea that all of the robot characters can be completely reinvented to suit the changing cast and the changing world.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

DivisionPost posted:

APRIL 14, 2017

Went ahead and put in for that day off at work! :dance:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have Good Friday off every year :dance:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Got the new boxset, and thiere's a nice little doc on there called "Mike, by Joel", in which Joe talks about how Mike came to hired for the show and about how he became the de facto go to actor for all the bit parts. The interesting bit is that when he was leaving, apparently Joel was pushing for Bridget to take over as host, instead of having, in his words, "another doughy mid-western guy". Though what is interesting is he wanted her to play Joel, just a Joel who had been hit by a sex change ray.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
That... would have been different.

But Gypsy's sweater would have been just fine!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Davros1 posted:

Got the new boxset, and thiere's a nice little doc on there called "Mike, by Joel", in which Joe talks about how Mike came to hired for the show and about how he became the de facto go to actor for all the bit parts. The interesting bit is that when he was leaving, apparently Joel was pushing for Bridget to take over as host, instead of having, in his words, "another doughy mid-western guy". Though what is interesting is he wanted her to play Joel, just a Joel who had been hit by a sex change ray.

Bridget is good with Mary Jo doing Rifftrax, but I don't think she could carry the whole show.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I haven't heard Bridget riff, but Mary Jo was good in the theater as Pearl in what was it, Quest of the Delta Knights? She could've done it, at least.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I haven't heard Bridget riff, but Mary Jo was good in the theater as Pearl in what was it, Quest of the Delta Knights? She could've done it, at least.

There's a few Rifftrax shorts that are Mary Jo and Bridget.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

There's a few Rifftrax shorts that are Mary Jo and Bridget.

And a couple of feature-length ones, too.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Everyone in the cast and crew of MST3k gets in on the riffing; Mike's job as "head writer" was mostly to transcribe what everyone was saying as they went through the movie minute by minute, repeating each scene several times to make sure they had enough quality material. Frank got some theater time at one point, too.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cambot never did any riffing.

E: Or Magic Voice.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

E: Or Magic Voice.

Yes she did, she turned into Forrester's mother and went on to be the main Mad in the Sci Fi era. Or at least one version of her did...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For a stretch of time Magic Voice was played by Mary Jo.