Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
My gut feeling tells me SP Regen, but on the other hand, it's really only likely to get you maybe one more casting of a low-end Spirit over the course of a battle since Battle Mastery games tend to have very short missions.

On the other hand, unless they made everyone very EN hungry for their bread and butter attacks, EN Regen at 10% isn't really that significant. But since it's stated to stack, it's significantly better on anyone who already has regeneration built in to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
On the other other hand, HP Regen devalues Prevail in a game where defending is already slightly easier than usual since you can cast defense and healing Spirits reactively.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Its up on the store and the dlc is up too!

Davzz posted:

My gut feeling tells me SP Regen, but on the other hand, it's really only likely to get you maybe one more casting of a low-end Spirit over the course of a battle since Battle Mastery games tend to have very short missions.

On the other hand, unless they made everyone very EN hungry for their bread and butter attacks, EN Regen at 10% isn't really that significant. But since it's stated to stack, it's significantly better on anyone who already has regeneration built in to them.

All turn based things aren't amazing in low turn count games, but +9SP over 3 turns when you already get 15SP over that 3 turns is probably less of a big deal than +30% HP and EN over those 3 turns, especially when getting those low turn counts you're using your biggest moves all the time. Obviously if the first 3 of those 9 tips you over from not being able to cast an important spell that gets you the SR point then its the most important thing in the world.

Caphi posted:

On the other other hand, HP Regen devalues Prevail in a game where defending is already slightly easier than usual since you can cast defense and healing Spirits reactively.

This is why I sometimes avoid putting HP regen things on big prevailers, especially Chirico. Healing him actively makes him much worse. I think it's pretty close between the two options. The +2 morale definitely feels the weakest at first thought.

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 23, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It seems like if you have your protagonist kill boss units you'll unlock bonus skill parts and stuff? At least it seems like it triggers on named enemies for me.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

EthanSteele posted:

This is why I sometimes avoid putting HP regen things on big prevailers, especially Chirico. Healing him actively makes him much worse.
I forgot to take this into account - the disadvantage of not being able to turn off HP Regen for units that abuse Potential bonus to Evasion. That being said, I don't think any units has taken that particularly niche since Votoms is out so it's probably a moot point.

quote:

The +2 morale definitely feels the weakest at first thought.
Well, it's buyable in skill form unlike the other two effects and even has a slightly higher number to it, yet nobody cares about it for just about every game it's in, so yeah, it's an instant-lose.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Why isn't there even one SRW avatar set on the PSN yet? There's freaking fifteen Touhou ones.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why isn't there even one SRW avatar set on the PSN yet? There's freaking fifteen Touhou ones.

Too bad avatars are also region locked on PSN.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am looking at the series list for V and it seems strangely anemic, at least in terms of pure IP. It feels like previous titles had a bigger spread of series, I dunno.

Still may as well get it cause gently caress it, a mainline SRW in English.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ImpAtom posted:

It seems like if you have your protagonist kill boss units you'll unlock bonus skill parts and stuff? At least it seems like it triggers on named enemies for me.

Protagonist as in Soji/Chitose or just corresponding series lead?

Davzz posted:

I forgot to take this into account - the disadvantage of not being able to turn off HP Regen for units that abuse Potential bonus to Evasion. That being said, I don't think any units has taken that particularly niche since Votoms is out so it's probably a moot point.

Well, it's buyable in skill form unlike the other two effects and even has a slightly higher number to it, yet nobody cares about it for just about every game it's in, so yeah, it's an instant-lose.

You're probably safe, to be honest. Outside of Chirico and a couple of gimmicky Gundam pilot builds stuff where it takes them out of it being active/get them low on a grunt so they are invincible to a boss doesn't really happen in practice. I don't think Focus gain per turn is available to buy in V, the tree is Status immunity, +starting Focus, Focus+ Offensive, Focus+ Defensive and Break Limit (+5 per level). Looking forward to monster dudes on NG+ with bloated skill lists like W, hell yeah.

+2 per turn is even more a joke when Focus+ Offensive or Defensive will get you at least that every single turn unless you are doing absolutely nothing at which point +2 per turn isn't going to help you anyway.

I found a couple of errors in the skills too, Guard has the first line of Insight copy-pasted and Focus+ Defensive mentions Support Attack instead of Defend. I think those and the ExOrder for +ExPoints are the only major ones I've seen other than I think three "the"s in the wrong place.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ZuljinRaynor posted:

Too bad avatars are also region locked on PSN.
Yeah. Add that to the six billion item pile for things that should have been fixed on the PSN like a decade ago.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
What's the story reason for the Huckebein and Grungust being in this game? I love the Grungust and expected to never again see it outside of OG. :stare:

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

I am looking at the series list for V and it seems strangely anemic, at least in terms of pure IP. It feels like previous titles had a bigger spread of series, I dunno.
Probably a perception issue if you're coming from Z3's bloated monstrosity. In addition, V has a lot of Gundam series which tends to blur together and then there's things like listed all the FMP parts individually that kind of makes it look a lot bigger than it is...

That being said, even if you roll all of those multi-part series into one, there's still about 18 or so distinct series. So in reality, I say it's roughly around the same level as a standard Nintendo handheld.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Z1, the last major SRW to not be a sequel had 20 series. And of those 5 of them (Daitarn, Xabungle, Char's Counterattack, Mazinger Z and Great Mazinger) were unit only. So effectively 15 series.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

maou shoujo posted:

What's the story reason for the Huckebein and Grungust being in this game? I love the Grungust and expected to never again see it outside of OG. :stare:
"People made these two really powerful robots"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's also worth noting that the 'smaller' unit list seems to allow them to give you lesser pilots who were reduced to unit only in larger games. Frigging Cross Ange gives you 7 units to start off with.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Do the two non-protagonist originals show up if you do not have the Huckebein/Grungust bonus, if so, what unit do they join in? They seem to have well integrated dialogue (at least up till Jupiter).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Haha are you serious.

The goddamn island that Cagalli and Athrun wash up on in SEED is the same island Ange does in Cross Ange and Tusk is there the entire time.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Here's the other Vangray upgrade, I guess it's called Vangnex?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6HlxBDKFAY

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A quick tip:

Stage 15 (az route) (Island Encounter) has a mistranslated SR objective.

It says "Kill 3 enemies with a single unit before map end." What it actually means is "Kill 3 enemies with a single unit in a single turn." (i.e: abuse bonus stepping.)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

NotALizardman posted:

Here's the other Vangray upgrade, I guess it's called Vangnex?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6HlxBDKFAY

Wow that... Is actually painfully generic looking. I'm pretty sure the Vangrey itself had more unique animations than this. I know for sure which of the two upgrades I'd take (if I could have the game, anyways).

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mepC4_QRoq4

Behold Shin Mazinger ZERO

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Kouji posing heroically while ZERO screams at the sky is pretty incredible.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1-RErw-68g

I assume this is one of the OGs? I dig the electric feet and the cannon it literally ejects.

edit: Just read back and saw it, it's pretty sick all the same. Where's my crossbone videos though.

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 23, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

maou shoujo posted:

In the initial Yamato/Crossbone world they were created as new prototype mobile weapons(since the Gamilas attacks destroyed almost all Mobile Suits besides the Crossbone, F91, and what the Jupiter Empire remnants have)

Also it seems the theory that which world you go to depends on which OG character you pick is a pile of bunk, as I picked Souji and still ended up in the Might Gaine world

Dr Pepper posted:

Z1, the last major SRW to not be a sequel had 20 series. And of those 5 of them (Daitarn, Xabungle, Char's Counterattack, Mazinger Z and Great Mazinger) were unit only. So effectively 15 series.

Part of me still wants to see an SRW game someday that gives all of its series full representation in both units and plot(it still feels like including unit only/post plot series is cheating)

Also while Xabungle is post series, it had enough importance to Z1's overall story that I'd say it counts as a proper series inclusion

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
There's something "off" with the animations for the originals in V...like they have the keyframes but there aren't enough frames in between, so they're all jerky.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

There's something "off" with the animations for the originals in V...like they have the keyframes but there aren't enough frames in between, so they're all jerky.
I felt that way about Z3 too. Quite a few units' animations, and mostly the originals, are hard to track visually because they have so few frames for some high speed movement. I figured it was just a memory or something issue because it has to run on the Vita too.

Soon the Vita will be dead and hopefully it will mean the problem is neither here nor there.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 23, 2017

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Okay, so I've tried to go in as blind as possible, but curiosity got the better of me and it looks like the Penelope is available as a playable unit. idk if anyone here has gotten that far quite yet, but if so, is there a special unlock condition? I'll jump through any hoop.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
My Play Asia order seems like it'll be here tomorrow according to Fed Ex tracking but that seems really ambitious. It'd be nice to get it by the weekend. I'm trying to stay away from videos too much to keep the surprise alive, but it's good to see everyone enjoying the game so far. The screenshots of the translation have been pretty good from what I've seen so I'm really glad I jumped back in with this entry.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Samurai Sanders posted:

I felt that way about Z3 too. Quite a few units' animations, and mostly the originals, are hard to track visually because they have so few frames for some high speed movement. I figured it was just a memory or something issue because it has to run on the Vita too.

Soon the Vita will be dead and hopefully it will mean the problem is neither here nor there.

The Vita will never die and it's amazing you monster :colbert: Vita means life.

That aside, anybody playing the Vita version? I'm trying to decide between the two right now. I'd be able to play more on the Vita since it wouldn't interfere with my wife's TV time, but if the PS4 version plays/looks massively better or has any enhancements I'd go for that instead.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

thorsilver posted:

The Vita will never die and it's amazing you monster :colbert: Vita means life.

That aside, anybody playing the Vita version? I'm trying to decide between the two right now. I'd be able to play more on the Vita since it wouldn't interfere with my wife's TV time, but if the PS4 version plays/looks massively better or has any enhancements I'd go for that instead.

Not like I can play the PS4 version to compare, but the Vita version runs fine.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Are we far enough to talk MC comparisons yet? I'm through chapter 9.

Souji not being a pilot means I kind of like his weird chill mentor thing with Chitose and I'm not sure it'd be a good look with the roles reversed so she was his cute moral support sidekick (Esther Elhaus? Anyone?). Also, this part may be me internalizing Chitose's perspective, but Souji seems pretty together so I'm not sure what his conversations with 99 look like and Chitose has this "trying to figure things out while explaining them" vibe I'm pretty into.

Also, I like Yamamoto already and I assume Souji's Yamato pal is either Katou or the long-haired guy.

So I guess, what are your impressions, Souji peeps?

e: and just to follow up, what Chitose said to Kincaid was ガンダム好きなんですか? which is pretty much at "fan" level.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 23, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like Chitose. She has a good vibe (at least as far as I am) being basically someone struggling to keep it together and keep going forward while being from the absolute top-tier lovely shitworld. Frankly anyone who keeps it going in Yamato's "our earth is literally a bombed out shithole" setting has something going for them because goddamn.

No idea where she got that clothing there though. Maybe the tiny tie factory survived the apocalypse.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oh, yes, I adore Chitose herself (for now, but I'm early so prepared for the worst). I was suspicious of the "inexperienced, but full of heart!" brief but then she cheered up Ryoma Nagare :unsmith:.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 23, 2017

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ImpAtom posted:

I like Chitose. She has a good vibe (at least as far as I am) being basically someone struggling to keep it together and keep going forward while being from the absolute top-tier lovely shitworld. Frankly anyone who keeps it going in Yamato's "our earth is literally a bombed out shithole" setting has something going for them because goddamn.

No idea where she got that clothing there though. Maybe the tiny tie factory survived the apocalypse.

Mini ties are eternal. More invincible than cockroaches.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

Oh, yes, I adore Chitose herself. I was suspicious of the "inexperienced, but full of heart!" brief but then she cheered up Ryoma Nagare :unsmith:.

I think it helps that she isn't perfect relentless cheerful optimism and instead had like, realistic responses to the Yamato villains of "I hate those goddamn motherfuckers." It makes her actual optimism ring more natural.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Oh my god, they're actually doing the natto episode from Might Gaine.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ImpAtom posted:

I think it helps that she isn't perfect relentless cheerful optimism and instead had like, realistic responses to the Yamato villains of "I hate those goddamn motherfuckers." It makes her actual optimism ring more natural.

I'm colour blind and her lip gloss colour stands out as really awful to me on a couple of her expressions. Her tiny little o mouth one makes it look like she has a cheerio on her face to my messed up eyes. Soji is cool and he gets played up as a goofball a lot so far and he has a good jacket and I imagine him pointing to the "take it easy" badge whenever anybody from Yamato starts stressing out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

I'm colour blind and her lip gloss colour stands out as really awful to me on a couple of her expressions. Her tiny little o mouth one makes it look like she has a cheerio on her face to my messed up eyes. Soji is cool and he gets played up as a goofball a lot so far and he has a good jacket and I imagine him pointing to the "take it easy" badge whenever anybody from Yamato starts stressing out.

If you think that is bad wait until you see one of the following characters. At least she kind of has an excuse for having a weird-looking mouth.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My copy has arrived!

And drat when they said it was coming at 10:30 AM they meant it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm glad I'm not the only person bothered by the little o mouth.

• Locked thread