Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Ramadu posted:

i read some weird OSC book after i finished all the ender books and was like well i enjoyed those lets try his other stuff. i came across some book that was like the last book in some series where it was way in the future and all the humans got kicked off earth by our AI overlords and segregated by races and watched over until they thought we were ready to be let back onto earth and everytime they did we just kept genociding each other cause of our skin color i guess.

well this was following our brave heroes and they come to earth and learn that the ais said fuckit and let flying squirrels evolve and take over the planet lmao

thats all i remember but it was pretty funny and mostly bad

thats my orson scott card book story

hey just fyi that entire series is card doing a scifi retelling of the book of mormon, some of the characters even have the same names

Ed Balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

I've always been of the opinion that any encounter with aliens in a hostile context would be a total slaughter for one side or the other. Even if they were just 50 years behind us or ahead of us in terms of technology, it'd be enough to kill them all without a casualty or the reverse, like that one loving anime Baloogan was on about with the ship that went back to WW2 to more effectively genocide the Chinese or whatever

Which is why The Forever War is such a great book, among other reasons (i love fiction that deals with time dilation issues)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2LqcblaNG8

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

i laughed a lot when those dudes who fought in vietnam went to fight space aliens and came back and the whole world was gay so they were like nah i dont wanna bone a dude so they went back out to fight more aliens.

the forever war owned

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2gGr9-e9VE&t=2839s

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Epic High Five posted:

I've always been of the opinion that any encounter with aliens in a hostile context would be a total slaughter for one side or the other. Even if they were just 50 years behind us or ahead of us in terms of technology, it'd be enough to kill them all without a casualty or the reverse, like that one loving anime Baloogan was on about with the ship that went back to WW2 to more effectively genocide the Chinese or whatever

Which is why The Forever War is such a great book, among other reasons (i love fiction that deals with time dilation issues)

forever war is the one movie that needs to get made but never will be

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Baloogan posted:

i care
i care, too mcuh.

ppl ask if i serious post sometimes
its like
i aint lyin :shrug:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ramadu posted:

i laughed a lot when those dudes who fought in vietnam went to fight space aliens and came back and the whole world was gay so they were like nah i dont wanna bone a dude so they went back out to fight more aliens.

the forever war owned

It really did

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Mayor Dave posted:

hey just fyi that entire series is card doing a scifi retelling of the book of mormon, some of the characters even have the same names

Ed Balls

haha really? i was in high school working at the library at the time so i just picked it up off the shelf and just had no idea what the gently caress i was reading. i was entertained though not gonna lie

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Baloogan posted:

'viral memes' are the smell our rotting civilization gives off while it rots and we all cheer for the rotting gasses escaping instead of trying to live
you and I turd are bacteria feeding off the rotting corpse of western civilization
we laugh as the dead corpse farts
and we are (literal) scum.

when one civilization dies, invariably another is born, where it will be is what i, as yet can't fathom

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uulNyuV0DM

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Epic High Five posted:

I have not, my tolerance for extremely religious centric fiction is pretty thin at the moment after having just finished Canticle, how much does it lean on those concepts?

im gonna say that if u thought canticle was too catholic u might not be in the mood to read a book about a jesuit

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

when one civilization dies, invariably another is born, where it will be is what i, as yet can't fathom

loving CUCK NO YOU DONT FUCKIGN NO gently caress

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Epic High Five posted:

hell yeah, they realized early on that the best Starship Troopers adaptation would be one that ignored the last half of the book and included some rude rear end tittays

Also Doogie Howser running the military intelligence wing giving a friendly how-to video on aiming for the neural ganglia or whatnot.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

deadgoon posted:

im gonna say that if u thought canticle was too catholic u might not be in the mood to read a book about a jesuit

"Jesuit priest encounters space aliens as a pretense to explore faith" isn't a rare genre

I'll check it out in any case, by the time I get to it in my backlog I'll probably be more tolerant of the pretense

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the sparrow or whatever is the worst book ive ever read and the author prob should be banned from wriiting books

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
the doom books got pretty religious near the end of book 3

books 1&2 own though

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

not to say I didn't enjoy Canticle, I did a lot actually, but as an atheist it involved a lot of digging into unfamiliar stuff that the author just assumed I'd know apparently which made it infinitely more tedious to read

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Ramadu posted:

haha really? i was in high school working at the library at the time so i just picked it up off the shelf and just had no idea what the gently caress i was reading. i was entertained though not gonna lie

card's two longest series besides the ender books are a fantasy folklore retelling of the life of joseph smith and the far future retelling of the book of mormon

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Epic High Five posted:

It really did

The ending put a big ol' dumb smile on my face.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Baloogan posted:

the sparrow or whatever is the worst book ive ever read and the author prob should be banned from wriiting books

same but the bible :smug:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
if your reading a book about a jesuit mission to some alien planet written byy a unknown authoress who has serious issues let me tell you the book is poo poo poorly written and the 'twist' is so dumb

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

that and the combat in Forever War was always either getting totally loving obliterated or totally routing them with nothing ever being even

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

FAUXTON posted:

The ending put a big ol' dumb smile on my face.

what ended up happening to humanity?

yeah that owned

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
also, the best heinlein book is moon is a harsh mistress

gravity wells suck

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Gringostar posted:

gravity wells suck

i loved that they just wanted to be left alone to gently caress their sisters in peace IS THAT SO WRONG EARTH???? *chucks rocks at earth*

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gringostar posted:

gravity wells suck

The two moon books I need to read that are on the short list are that and The Dispossessed

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

trump make the loving tweet so i can to sleep you old bitch :argh:

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
What if trump loses to stairs one morning and we get pence

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Disspossesed is not actually a literal moon but is deffo the cultural satellite so whatever, gently caress it

I know little about it because I tend to go into books blind

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Baloogan posted:

why didnt u like the book baloogan

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

o yea our prez is afraid o stairs lmao

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Epic High Five posted:

The two moon books I need to read that are on the short list are that and The Dispossessed

add leviathan wakes to that list

its kind of a moon book

it also has power armor

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

deadgoon posted:

why didnt u like the book baloogan

prolly cuz it was bad

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gringostar posted:

what ended up happening to humanity?

yeah that owned

The part where they set up a bunch of resort planets where everyone wanting to gently caress could do so while the rest just happily cloned themselves and made peace with the guys they'd been fighting for millennia?

Agreed that owned pretty hard, especially when the love interest turned out to have shacked up at relativistic speed so she could survive long enough to see her guy again, which is what I was talking about, you jerk.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gringostar posted:

add leviathan wakes to that list

its kind of a moon book

it also has power armor

Read it, it was a pretty good book but didn't feel the desire to delve further into the universe. It was pretty space opera-ey which I can't do much of

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Turdfuzz posted:

prolly cuz it was bad

why was the book bad turdfuzz

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

i read some book where our moon was actually a super old death star that concealed itself as a moon and we were some colony of its crew that mutineed. eventually we have moon bases and it needs a pilot and then they warp the moon away and are like its cool guys we left a little black hole of the same gravity in its place nbd

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

deadgoon posted:

why was the book bad turdfuzz

cuz o all the bad stuff in it

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

FAUXTON posted:

The part where they set up a bunch of resort planets where everyone wanting to gently caress could do so while the rest just happily cloned themselves and made peace with the guys they'd been fighting for millennia?

Agreed that owned pretty hard, especially when the love interest turned out to have shacked up at relativistic speed so she could survive long enough to see her guy again, which is what I was talking about, you jerk.

i was talking about how humanity's final form was brown skinned and not white washing poo poo like most sci-fi does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

like I kind of wouldn't mind finding out what happens on the surface of Venus post-protomolecule but like literally every other part of the first book I didn't really care about how it developed and I know that it'd be like 3/4 of the way through the 2nd book before they spilled the beans on any deets re: Venus

• Locked thread