Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Sion posted:

Like- that's the street I stayed on when I lived in boro. It looks a lot like how I remember it but then again there's a generic 'grim northern town side street' image in my head.

He's in Newcassel, not Middlesbrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Sion posted:

Like- that's the street I stayed on when I lived in boro. It looks a lot like how I remember it but then again there's a generic 'grim northern town side street' image in my head.

i'm in newcastle

bristol is far too hilly

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
it does have some of the steepest hills around, and you probably didn't even see the really steep ones in Totterdown.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i was only there over night and didn't go into the city centre

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
oh. well that's more time than I've spent in Newcastle.

I lived in Liverpool for two years and in some respects it's similar to Bristol.

e/ that is to say good music scene, good quality pills and weed and everyone likes to get wrecked.

and lots of hills.

and docks.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Hills are the major negative about living in Bristol

And yet somehow 11 years after moving here I'm still a fat out-of-shape gently caress :shepface:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I live in about the flattest part of America, trust me, hills are great, everything is so loving flat here.

I've cycled up park street and st michaels hill, they're not that bad.

hills give you views. I love seeing the mendips in the distance, or the avon gorge.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Jose posted:

i'm in newcastle

bristol is far too hilly

to be fair, it's all the same poo poo between Leeds and Carlisle.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I went to Newcastle once. Well, I changed trains in Newcastle anyway.

I quite enjoyed this Long Read on The Graun about the Oxford PPE, not that it really says anything new. And it's a bit annoying how the contemporary criticisms were focused on those from right wing people.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 23, 2017

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
That John Harris video in Stoke is so loving depressing. It reminds me of his article that says the world is now too complex, that most people just want an answer to whatever their question is and don't want to know about shades of grey. Like during the referendum where people were just shouting on Question Time to get "the facts" all the time instead of having the knowledge to find them personally.

How can people not know there's an election in Stoke? How can the turnout be so low? I'd like to blame it just on Blair/Thatcher but I also think it's to do with having FTTP and so many votes being wasted. When people I knew voted Labour last time and their constituency went Tory they'd say "Well why did I even bother?" and it's true, why did they?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I went to an all you can eat restaurant with all these different buffets/school canteen stations in it in Newcastle and it was very cool so far as taking four children to any restaurant can be.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
...because if enough other people had been persuaded the constituency may have returned a labour mp?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

How can the turnout be so low?
Because the town is loving wank and has been run by Labour for decades. Do people really think UKIP is going to fix their town? No. Do people think the Tories can be trusted with Stoke? Also probably no. So in a choice between some guy from a town over who says a choice you made is poo poo and anyone else it's like "can I really be arsed to in theory support this guy?".

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I'd also say the people saying that labour isn't "patriotic" enough is really worrying. Someone I know who voted leave now calls themselves English exclusively because "Scottish people never say they're british" although I don't know where she's got that from.

quote:

Because the town is loving wank and has been run by Labour for decades. Do people really think UKIP is going to fix their town? No. Do people think the Tories can be trusted with Stoke? Also probably no. So in a choice between some guy from a town over who says a choice you made is poo poo and anyone else it's like "can I really be arsed to in theory support this guy?".
I guess to me all that matters is the national picture. I know our council barely has any power and they're losing shitloads of money because of the national government, it's not to do with your local MP. Because again local MPs are useless and pointless.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

wonder how much time tristram hunt actually spent in stoke

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

I guess to me all that matters is the national picture
Yeah well there's your problem. The national picture is mainly London in the minds of the UK government. Why would anyone be voting in an election about the National Picture if they were in a place that's been run into the ground for years.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Taear posted:

That John Harris video in Stoke is so loving depressing. It reminds me of his article that says the world is now too complex, that most people just want an answer to whatever their question is and don't want to know about shades of grey. Like during the referendum where people were just shouting on Question Time to get "the facts" all the time instead of having the knowledge to find them personally.
I saw a depressing number of people asking for 'unbiased sources' during the run-up to the referendum. Even people who I know for a fact were told in History that there's no such thing. Maybe they thought that one had been invented since then.

People are really not at home with things being social constructs or best current models, even though positivism has been out of favor for a while. I think that links into the rise of the right as a backlash against postmodernism and whatever they think cultural Marxism is, one that claims to be rooted in absolute values even as it splits into pieces.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Fellow who murdered Helen Bailey and her dog has got 34 years and they are now investigating the sudden death of his first wife because of the massive life insurance he had on her and her hasty cremation. He said he found her dead in the garden, because she had epilepsy they put that down as the most likely cause. Doubt they will ever prove anything unless he confesses but he's still sticking to the "two men came to the house and kidnapped her" story on Bailey so I suspect he won't.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
People asking for 'the truth' as if there's some unalloyed set of facts just waiting to be uncovered are the same sort who want politicians to 'stop arguing'.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Taear posted:

I'd also say the people saying that labour isn't "patriotic" enough is really worrying. Someone I know who voted leave now calls themselves English exclusively because "Scottish people never say they're british" although I don't know where she's got that from.

Clearly they've never met a Rangers fan.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Yeah wtf is cultural marxism anyway?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

People are really not at home with things being social constructs or best current models, even though positivism has been out of favor for a while
Real wages over the last decade.jpg might explain why.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

By-elections turnouts are usually pants and rarely go over 45% - when its a seat held by Labour since the 50's with one of the lowest turnouts at the last general election you're not going to animate many people to come out and keep labour in as it's a foregone conclusion for many.

If the weathers poor I'd be surprised if the turnout goes over the mid-30 mark

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Hope nobody needs to use the Trains today -

https://twitter.com/VirginTrains/status/834735246553841664?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

London Euston is now shut, think Paddington has issues as well. Lines closed all over the network, and its still 3 hours or so before the worst hits London, etc.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Saith posted:

Rationalwiki has your back

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Saith posted:

A massive sign-post that says "The person who said this is a worthless oval office, please ignore" (not you, the people who use it unironically)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ukle posted:

Hope nobody needs to use the Trains today -

https://twitter.com/VirginTrains/status/834735246553841664?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

London Euston is now shut, think Paddington has issues as well. Lines closed all over the network, and its still 3 hours or so before the worst hits London, etc.

Trains in Scotland are fine.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

forkboy84 posted:

I went to Newcastle once. Well, I changed trains in Newcastle anyway.

I quite enjoyed this Long Read on The Graun about the Oxford PPE, not that it really says anything new. And it's a bit annoying how the contemporary criticisms were focused on those from right wing people.

Thanks for this link, was interesting. A decent potted history of the degree and it's alumni rather than a critique, but yeah.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm right where the storm currently is and it's really high, as in hitting the tops of trees but not really on the ground. I would imagine costal areas and bridges and whatnot are getting hammered but the big issues in London will be hoping skyscrapers are built up to code and cranes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Saith posted:

An attempt to explain bad things happening in modern life not as the success of anything-for-a-buck late capitalism grinding people down, but the success of a sinister cabal of Jewsleftist academics called the Frankfurt school, who somehow control all media through making post-structuralist criticism of pop culture in the 60s.

Vice just did a thing about it.

jBrereton posted:

Real wages over the last decade.jpg might explain why.
Yeah, but that's also the success of anything-for-a-buck late capitalism, not cultural Marxism, so the solutions presented by the right are wrong.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

This is a good book review on a book about the state of economics teaching. turns out to get an economics degree you just do multiple choice exams and never do any critical thinking

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/feb/09/the-econocracy-review-joe-earle-cahal-moran-zach-ward-perkins

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

we know you're offended by people out in their pyjamas

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
why is labour apparently running lurch as its candidate?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

why is labour apparently running lurch as its candidate?

They wanted the CLP to put forward a candidate rather than doing the usual thing of airdropping in a favoured child to an 'easy' safe seat. Problem is that Stoke has been neglected for so long that the best they could offer was this guy.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
What is noteworthy about the 'neglect' that Stoke has suffered? It seems to be the emerging narrative and I'd like to understand it better.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

this weather really is quite something

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jose posted:

This is a good book review on a book about the state of economics teaching. turns out to get an economics degree you just do multiple choice exams and never do any critical thinking

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/feb/09/the-econocracy-review-joe-earle-cahal-moran-zach-ward-perkins

Two things in The Guardian I've liked in one day. Impressive going.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

What is noteworthy about the 'neglect' that Stoke has suffered? It seems to be the emerging narrative and I'd like to understand it better.

like many other Labour safe seats, they got a favoured New Labour disciple with no ties to the town airdropped in. Hunt had tried to get selected in two other safe seats in different parts of the country (one was Liverpool). I can't speak for how well Hunt advocated for the people of Stoke and how often he held surgery but he was able to spend a lot of time trying to raise his own media profile and lecturing at St Mary's where I feel obligated to mention as it always is that he crossed a picket line to deliver a lecture on Marx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

I saw a depressing number of people asking for 'unbiased sources' during the run-up to the referendum. Even people who I know for a fact were told in History that there's no such thing. Maybe they thought that one had been invented since then.

People are really not at home with things being social constructs or best current models, even though positivism has been out of favor for a while. I think that links into the rise of the right as a backlash against postmodernism and whatever they think cultural Marxism is, one that claims to be rooted in absolute values even as it splits into pieces.

I understand that people want certainty and this in part is due to constantly having lovely jobs where you never know from one day to the next if you're going to be fired. But I work in a job like that and I still manage to find out what's going on. The things people say to you as you go house to house (I've only done Copeland and not Stoke) are pretty loving insane and depressing now too.

As our favourite article says the british public seriously are wrong about nearly everything and it's very hard to persuade anyone otherwise.

• Locked thread