Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Solemn Sloth posted:

Any recession would clearly be the fault of the labor waste we inherited (half a loving decade ago)
It's actually closer to a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

To whoever said not even bill shorten could gently caress this up(an opinion so stupid I guess it must be Anidav)

The young guy shorten invited up on stage is:
An SDA delegate
An ALP campaign volunteer
Seen posing with Bill Shorten last election
Under an EBA rather than the award conditions

:bravo:

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...223-gujvvr.html

quote:

According to his Facebook page, Mr Hunter in November received the "Young Achiever Award" from the Shop, Distributive and Allied Employees' Association, known as the shoppies.

Here is the article about this if anyone hasn't seen it.

:negative:

Can anyone in the thread explain how the SDA became so useless and bad?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

The SDA leadership was infiltrated by hardline Catholics who were concerned about the presence of communism in the Australian union movement and control has been passed down to their direct descendants.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/feb/23/tony-abbott-takes-aim-at-turnbull-and-lays-out-conservative-manifesto

:getin:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Conservative with massive donations to labor. Not complicated

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Pack of right wing Catholics who would've been in the DLP if the DLP liked the unions.

The SDA was ruled by a ruthless the Dutchman Joe de Bruyn who opposed anything progressive, like same sex marriage. As Whitlam once joked about De Bruyn "Joe de Bruyn is a Dutchman who hates dykes."

Considering the age and views of the people who would join (or forced) to join that union, its leadership was well out of step. The SDA was the only union not to be investigated by Abbott's witch hunt Union Royal Commission.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

imagine being as stupid as tony abbott

imagine

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Yes, in the middle of all this, Tony loving Abbottoir decides to lay out a manifesto, viz:

quote:

Tony Abbott has used a book launch to unveil a sweeping conservative manifesto for the next federal election, declaring the Coalition needs to cut immigration, slash the renewable energy target, abolish the Human Rights Commission, and gut the capacity of the Senate to be a roadblock to the government’s agenda.

What a goose.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

idk seems like the perfect time to hitch your wagon to the trumpocalypse if you ask me

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

You Am I posted:

Pack of right wing Catholics who would've been in the DLP if the DLP liked the unions.

The SDA was ruled by a ruthless the Dutchman Joe de Bruyn who opposed anything progressive, like same sex marriage. As Whitlam once joked about De Bruyn "Joe de Bruyn is a Dutchman who hates dykes."

Considering the age and views of the people who would join (or forced) to join that union, its leadership was well out of step. The SDA was the only union not to be investigated by Abbott's witch hunt Union Royal Commission.

I would like to remind people that there is now an alternative - the Retail and Fast Food Workers' Union

If you know anyone trapped in retail hell ask them to join. The only way to stop the SDA is to starve them to death.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Graic Gabtar posted:

Is it just me or does anyone else feel an epic post of rage inbound from Cartoon?

Does the Cartoon poo poo in the woods?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

i wrong threaded this

Lid posted:

Tony Abbott has used a book launch to unveil a sweeping conservative manifesto for the next federal election, declaring the Coalition needs to cut immigration, slash the renewable energy target, abolish the Human Rights Commission, and gut the capacity of the Senate to be a roadblock to the government’s agenda.

Its a short bow but...

Lid posted:

As for tge book

MAKING AUSTRALIA RIGHT
Where to from here?

Edited by James Allan

with contributions from:
Judith Sloan, Brendan O’Neill, Gary Johns, Jim Molan, Roger Franklin, Rebecca Weisser, Graeme Haycroft, James Allan, Kerryn Pholi, Jeremy Sammut, Lorraine Finlay, Peter Kurti, Steven Kates, Alan Moran

Judith Sloan considers the economy; Brendan O’Neill tackles political correctness; Gary Johns writes on inequality; Jim Molan surveys defence; Roger Franklin goes more big picture and explains the causes for his anger at the Liberal Party; Rebecca Weisser examines the media in this country; Graeme Haycroft does the same with industrial relations; James Allan at the state of play in our universities; Kerryn Pholi writes on Aboriginal Australia; Jeremy Sammut discusses health; Lorraine Finlay takes on law-making; Peter Kurti delves into religion and the new sectarianism; Steve Kates scrutinizes interest rate policy; and Alan Moran finishes the collection off by looking at energy policy. So fourteen chapters in all, and each one approached in a different way.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

My fiancé got a fine for not voting on whether to allow a liquor license for a restaurant in a designated dry zone because her council is the most nimby rear end bunch of loving wasps ever

Me too!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lid posted:

Its a short bow but...

https://twitter.com/GovGoogles/status/834726170721521665

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
So now that businesses can afford to open on Sundays, we'll have a lot more people out shopping right? With all that money they don't have...

Wait, I'm confused. No! More people will be employed because businesses can be open on Sundays, so there will be more business. Though... one day of pay isn't really enough to get by on, especially with the new pay rates... and they're at work so how can they shop. And the people who had been working and now aren't because it's not worth it probably can't afford the bus ticket to get to the shops.

I'm really happy my local florist and women's sports wear stores will be open one more day a week now, especially with how I never see anyone in there anyway. This is great news. Those small business owners who take sunday off for a break can finally live the dream and work 7 days a week because they can pay themselves a lower rate.

This is stupid and makes my head hurt.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
It helps woolies, bunnings, spotless, and other massive corporations make even more money. Makes perfect Tory sense.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Jokes on them our penalty rates are already that bad (thanks SDA! :thumbsup:)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Auspol: This is stupid and makes my head hurt.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Poor old Trent is quickly becoming fake tradie mark 2.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Abbott not giving up on leadership return

Tony Abbott told Liberal defector Cory Bernardi last year that he hoped to return to leadership, but would not force a leadership spill for Malcolm Turnbull's job.

It's understood that Senator Bernardi then moved to directly warn the prime minister of the leadership threat on February 7, during a private conversation earlier this month when he quit the Liberal Party.

Sky News understands that Mr Abbott told Senator Bernardi he would not challenge for leadership as the public would never accept another round of 'political cannibalism'.

But he left the door open to returning to the top job if Mr Turnbull quit before the next election.

The conversation between Mr Abbott and the Senator Bernardi about the leadership took place late last year, before the conservative MP quit the Liberal Party.

It's understood that Senator Bernardi warned the Prime Minister when he quit that his enemies within the Liberal Party were 'coming after him'' for the leadership and that he 'didn't want any part of it:'.

Senator Bernardi has told Sky News that he will not comment on private conversations.

The revelations have prompted the prime minister to declare he will 'not be provoked' by Mr Abbott.

''Tony Abbott knows exactly what he's doing and so do his colleagues,'' Mr Turnbull told Melbourne radio station 3AW.

'I'm not going to be provoked,'

Finance Minister Mathias Cormann, who was Mr Abbott's most loyal supporters warned his leadership hopes were over.

'I can't see any scenario in which there is a return of Tony Abbott to the leadership of the Liberal Party','' Senator Cormann told Sky News.

Conservatives insist Mr Turnbull could launch a 'crash or crash through' fight for gay marriage because he doesn't want to be seen to be a 'do nothing' PM, and this could trigger a leadership change

Mr Abbott's supporters are describing the Turnbull government as 'the Malcolm vanity project', a reference the former PM alluded to in a speech last night.

A Liberal minister has told Sky News Mr Abbott has little support in the party room for any challenge.

'Well, the mad uncle is out of the attic now. But Abbott's got no support,' the minister said.

Finance Minister Mathias Cormann, who was a strong supporter of Mr Abbott throughout his prime ministership, told Sky News he was saddened by his decision to provide 'more and more destructive' commentary.

'He's not helping our cause, he's not helping our country, he's not helping himself, much of what he says is either wrong or inconsistent with what he did,' he said.

Senator Cormann said he was flabbergasted by the former prime minister's comments on Sky News, in which he warned the Coalition was 'drifting to defeat' if it fails to lift its performance.

'There is nothing good that comes from an interview like that, it was deliberately destructive, it was completely unhelpful...it was quite self-indulgent,' he said.

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2017/02/24/abbott-not-giving-up-on-leadership-return.html

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

I've been laughing along to Bill Shorten's puzzling Studio 10 co-hosting gig all morning!

Watch him make sausages on live TV!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

tithin posted:

Does the Cartoon poo poo in the woods?
Thank You for bringing that up.

There is a certain Zen and nobility to the humbling experience of digging a hole to poo poo in every day. At least I dig a hole:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-23/man-with-bill-shorten-decrying-penalty-rate-cuts-alp-member/8298334

quote:

<snip>"I rely on Sunday penalty rates. I am rostered on every single Sunday. "I will now lose $109 a week, that is insane. I rely on the penalty rates to make ends meet and to pay for my fuel, my rent and to pay for my food." Supermarket giant Coles contacted the ABC on Thursday afternoon to say Mr Hunter was one of their employees. "Store team members at Coles are employed under an enterprise agreement and therefore are unaffected by today's decision."<snip>

I don't know what is sadder here. You have to marvel at the sheer incompetence of selecting someone who is in Trent's position when there are so many other actually effected candidates available. On the other hand: the reason he is a liar is that he has already been hosed over by our good old mates http://www.sda.org.au/resources/enterprise-agreements/ . Whoever is running Shorten's PR team (Ryan Liddell is his Deputy Chief of Staff - Communications - source http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2016/shorten-shifts-to-permanent-campaign-mode-20160712-gq43t6.html) is clown tier. This makes it even more suspicious that Shorten was given the high profile soft serve on Ten's panel with Joe Hildebrand, Jono and the whole 'wacky' cast of public image king makers(Studio 10).

And while NTATA fans the flames on Nero's fiddle:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-23/rba-boss-philip-lowe-airs-australias-economic-dirty-laundry/8298364

quote:

<snip>The RBA has never been this explicit: people have taken on mountains of debt to ride the property boom and it's now a risk to the economy. Many others have made the observation, but for the RBA to say it, is a big deal. The RBA knows the economy is still fragile. It needs more stimulation; to drive growth, get wages up and push unemployment down. But the RBA doesn't want to cut interest rates further because it will just throw more fuel on property prices which are already growing at eye-watering levels in the pacific rim cities — at a time when wages growth is at record lows.<snip>

And the bucketting keeps coming:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-23/former-treasury-head-ken-henry-attacks-political-system/8296692

quote:

<snip>"Every government proposal of the last 10 years to reform the tax system has failed." The constant political brawl meant considered, long-term recommendations on fiscal, economic growth and environmental challenges were ignored. "The reform narrative of an earlier period has been buried by the language of fear and anger. It doesn't seek to explain; rather, it seeks to confuse and frighten."<snip>
This however is the CEO of NAB shilling for his best interests.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Yeah there are literally thousands of people who are being hosed over by the FWC decision, and yet ALP & SDA, as per usual, decide to be loving idiots.

SDA can go get hosed

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It owes you a smack in the chops mate.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
In regards to the question about why the SDA is so bad, it's not just their conservatism but the fact they do a really bad job of representing their workers. They accept EBAs with poor conditions in honour to maintain nice relations with employers. This article is great: http://www.smh.com.au/business/work...518-goycw5.html

As for the story that Trent isn't affected by the penalty rates change, wow you guys are dense. He is on a rolled up base rate in his EBA to compensate for penalty rates. If penalty rates are lowered, when the pay rates are renegotiated, that rolled up rate will go down because there'll be less to compensate for and pass the better off overall test. He is affected.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the world owes that kid a decent moisturiser, jesus christ

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Hes going to Crean himself

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

As for the story that Trent isn't affected by the penalty rates change, wow you guys are dense. He is on a rolled up base rate in his EBA to compensate for penalty rates. If penalty rates are lowered, when the pay rates are renegotiated, that rolled up rate will go down because there'll be less to compensate for and pass the better off overall test. He is affected.

I can't speak for all people under SDA agreements, but mine has penalty rates capped at time and a half, or in other words, exactly the same thing everyone is getting pissed at is already standard practice as negotiated by one of the biggest unions in the country.

They really are that poo poo.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Yes and I am sure that this will come across and not be drowned out by the screeches of HES A LIAR

It definitely wasn't a massive fuckup by the ALP in picking someone in his position.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
A lot of Right wing young people don't consider themselves right wing. They vote Liberal, yet say they're Left wing because they think Beyoncé should have won the Grammy and that makes them a champion of minority rights.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

In regards to the question about why the SDA is so bad, it's not just their conservatism but the fact they do a really bad job of representing their workers. They accept EBAs with poor conditions in honour to maintain nice relations with employers. This article is great: http://www.smh.com.au/business/work...518-goycw5.html

this is pretty true, however anyone with a pulse knew which way the narrative was going to blow, and there certainly must be a bunch of casual retail staff who are going to be hosed by this so why did they have to trundle out an SDA true believer with an EBA?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/CliveFPalmer/status/834940555448610816

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I hope Clive is alright, but I also hope he never stops whatever it is he's currently doing

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

He's a fuckwit.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
https://www.crikey.com.au/2017/02/24/abbott-turnbull-its-on-but-theres-a-third-player/

Anyone?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yes and I am sure that this will come across and not be drowned out by the screeches of HES A LIAR

It definitely wasn't a massive fuckup by the ALP in picking someone in his position.

Fortunately for them Tony Abbott decided to bumble his way back onto the main stage and kick an even bigger own goal to make the whole thing vanish instantly.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Hahahahahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Do they really think that dutton is a good choice?

• Locked thread