Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Rhyno posted:

And Magnum P.I.

Oh hey Rhyno. The avatar threw me. I had gotten use to the Guy Gardner one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The district attorney still turns out to be totally :krad: and while I thing the writers formed an elaborate rouse to get me to think he was Vigilante then Prometheus and now Vigilante again and Prometheus turns out to be a woman and not a man.

Talking about guns/control/violence? Naaaaah

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hollismason posted:

Oh hey Rhyno. The avatar threw me. I had gotten use to the Guy Gardner one.

It was time for a change and Coach Bloodshot spoke to me on a spiritual level.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The district attorney still turns out to be totally :krad: and while I thing the writers formed an elaborate rouse to get me to think he was Vigilante then Prometheus and now Vigilante again and Prometheus turns out to be a woman and not a man.

They did a really interesting there this episode where they had Vigilante show up while Adrian was injured which seemed to suggest its not him. But then again he was really far away and didn't really do anything besides shoot a gun and fall away. So now I have reasonable doubt but am unsure.

Good job, Arrow.

Hollismason posted:

I actually think this is one of the best episodes they've done. The Green Arrow comic was always really progressive so it's good to see them addressing these issues. The very first run of the Green Arrow long series was about gay bashing. It's what makes Green Arrow different than Batman is his politics. He's basically a grumpy super liberal.

It would be funny if they moved Oliver in more of a direction like his comic character, where he's a super liberal and really opinionated about politics. Like the comics made years out of him going back and forth with conservative heroes like Hal Jordan or Hawkman and his comics tackled stuff like Speedy I/Roy being a drug addict and Speedy 2/Mia having HIV. A lot of people drawn in by the vigilante killer would probably have hilarious reactions if his current crisis of conscience took him super liberal.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Didn't Frank Miller's Dark Knight describe Queen as a communist?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

grack posted:

If the show was a little more on point about presenting the fallout from Ollie and Gang's nightly adventures I wouldn't mind them tackling issues like gun control. I mean, two episodes ago Ollie blew up a goddamned helicopter in the middle of downtown and no one loving cared.

That was in Hub City.

Hub City is known as "America's Helicopter Crash Capital". Par for the course there.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

kjetting posted:

Yeah, I think it did. Ollie since like him and Green Latern road trip comic , Long Bow Hunters, and the first series has been super opinionated and liberal in the comics. Like that's his thing calling other super heroes fascists.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Aphrodite posted:

That was in Hub City.

Hub City is known as "America's Helicopter Crash Capital". Par for the course there.

I'm guessing the Tourist Board ads are a little awkward.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
They should have focused the episode on Dinah's apartment search.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

kjetting posted:

Yes but gently caress Frank Miller

bentacos posted:

They should have focused the episode on Dinah's apartment search.

"Wow, hard wood floors, tons of room, beautiful view of ocean. How is this on the market for this cheap?"

"Well... technically we are in Star City"

*poof*

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 17, 2017

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chokes McGee posted:

I really liked how this episode went down. Maybe this is the start of Ollie being Ollie as opposed to Ersatz Batman. :shobon:

I lol'd at the Alderman or whatever. "I know you just talked down a high profile mass murderer at risk of your own life but looks like you owe me some political capital :smug:" I know this is comic book rules, but if someone did that in real life, they would be mayor for as long as they so chose.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, they kind of blew their "political capital" on the whole "talk down a serial shooter" thing. Hell, just the story of him surviving the first shooting and cradling the DA in his arms as he bled out would probably have been good for a Congressional run.

To be fair this is Star City.

With what seems like 50-100 murders a day Oliver's approval rating probably went down a few points because he only bothered to stop one of the 3 ongoing mass shootings that night.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Star City is such a stupid name.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I hear Bloodhaven is nice this time of year. Hub City has a 65% chance of falling helicopters today though.

tasslex
Apr 23, 2003

He's watching YOU

Guy Goodbody posted:

Star City is such a stupid name.
All DC comics city names are terrible, especially the "XXX City" ones. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_locations_of_the_DC_Universe#Fictional_cities

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Talking about guns/control/violence? Naaaaah

Nah, he's totally Vigilante. He was basically getting ready to go out Vigilane-ing when Ollie caught him and made him stay put. It was very much a "yeah okay I'll stay here where it's safe, you go get him I am going to gently caress these guys up as soon as my wife leaves the hospital ."

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Bad Moon posted:

"Wow, hard wood floors, tons of room, beautiful view of ocean. How is this on the market for this cheap?"

"Well... technically we are in Star City"

*poof*

"Yeah, every May some jack-rear end brings an army of costumed commandos and levels half the city..."

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tasslex posted:

All DC comics city names are terrible, especially the "XXX City" ones. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_locations_of_the_DC_Universe#Fictional_cities

Starling City is a much better name. Especially when you think about the in-universe explanation for the name change. An insane tech billionaire came to our hosed up city, and announced a plan to fix everything by taking over the city and changing everything, using his vast fortune to remake the city in his own image. Before he could do any of that, he blew up himself and the top five stories of a downtown skyscraper. So, in honor of that man's crazy, megalomaniacal dream, let's rename our city to what he was planning to name it before he killed himself trying to build a shrink ray.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

X-O posted:

The actor is 37, which is crazy because he doesn't look anywhere close to that old.
37 isn't very old :smith:

I really like how they're fleshing out Rene, he's becoming a better character every week.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

that one guy posted:

I really like how they're fleshing out Rene, he's becoming a better character every week.

Me too. I also like that he and Curtis often argue with each other but getting through those arguments brings them closer together as buddies.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bull3964 posted:

It was certainly clunky at times and yeah it had a bit of handwaving on what they actually did, but the message was solid enough.

Do something.
That is not a message. That is a blatant refusal to have a message. Everyone already agrees that people being murdered is bad. This was the show's writers going "Uh, guys, I don't know if anyone's thought about this before, but do you think maybe we could all agree that people being murdered is bad? Just a suggestion, I don't want to be pushy about it."

Phenotype posted:

I hated this episode. So unbelievably clunky, and every time Curtis opened his mouth I could see the writer just gesticulating wildly. I don't know why they wanted to do a very special episode about gun control completely out of the blue, but it just doesn't fit in a TV show where the main character is a vigilante who kills people every few episodes and the only powers of two of his sidekicks are to shoot guns at people. And then, of course, they magically figure out a gun control bill that appeals to both sides (but can't tell us exactly what it is) so the entire debate is cheapened so they can wrap it up for a nice TV ending. This was someone's pet issue, and it felt like they must have sucked someone's dick to get a whole episode devoted to it. No real action scenes, no Prometheus, no season plot movement, just a bunch of scenes of the writers talking about how they feel about guns and a dumb speech about how we all need to be good people.
:same:

:eng101: We've found the perfect compromise solution to this contentious issue!
:downs: Awesome! Can you tell us what it is?
:eng101: ...
:eng101: No.

STAC Goat posted:

It would arguably be irresponsible to not approach the subject given that they deal both with politics and armed vigilantes.
They didn't approach it though. They pointed out that the subject exists and then spent the entire episode refusing to go anywhere near it.

that one guy posted:

37 isn't very old :smith:
It isn't, but he looks like he's about 20.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

Tiggum posted:

It isn't, but he looks like he's about 20.
I suppose that's a matter of perspective. He has a young look to him but as someone in their late 30s I can easily buy him as 37. Back when I was in my early 20s I would've said he looks too young to be 37, but not anymore. I don't mean this as a slam on you or saying "oh you youngins." Though I suppose what we're talking about is basically the definition of a matter of opinion/perspective so neither of us is really right or wrong. He's within the margin of error.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He spent a good decade of his career playing college kids. I'm blown away by how different he looks now.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

It kinda reminded me of the West Wing episode where Toby singlehandedly solves social security funding off-screen.

I'm happy the show tried this out, and I wouldn't hate it if they did the occasional mayoral subplot that tentatively dipped into political waters.

But I laughed entirely too hard at the lady who said ALL REGISTRIES ARE BAD and then shrugged and went "Yup, this works!" once shown the magical legislation. Such a goober.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

drat it Oliver you should know by now you can't have secrets in relationships

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mmmm, droppin bodies and a failed this city that's the good stuff.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

good to know cops will let you get away with murder if you're not their target.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

on the authority that I'm the loving mayor!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oh Felicity hacking the reporter's computer was a terrible idea.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

the police just shot an unarmed woman who wasn't resisting

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

is Vigilante... not the DA?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

nooneofconsequence posted:

the police just shot an unarmed woman who wasn't resisting

Standard operating procedure

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I like the episodes where they have him addressing actual problems as the Mayor and then there's something else he has to address as Green Arrow. So I'll be disappointed if he isn't mayor anymore because I think it's the most interesting part of the show right now.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I like the episodes where they have him addressing actual problems as the Mayor and then there's something else he has to address as Green Arrow. So I'll be disappointed if he isn't mayor anymore because I think it's the most interesting part of the show right now.

Just as long as they don't have to address gun control again.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I really liked that episode and think it's one of the best they've done.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
I'm enjoying the fact that a lot of these episodes lately haven't dealt directly with Prometheus. I feel like what brought down S3 and S4 were that the writers felt they constantly needed to be dealing with Ra's and Darhk and so you just kinda got sick of seeing them all the time. At least here, we know he's around doing poo poo to mess with Ollie but we're not dealing with him weekly and we can see Ollie do stuff as Ollie or just do stuff with side characters, like an episode seeking out a new Black Canary or just trying to catch old villains we haven't seen in a while. I think Flash had the same troubles S2, as well, which is partly why it's so poorly received, among many other reasons.

On that front, I feel like we've gotten to the point where I don't not like any of the characters now. Felicity is okay now and while Thea did something extremely stupid this episode, she's still the wise sage of the group now. Wild Dog, Curtis and Rory are fun, Oliver isn't brooding as much anymore, Dinah is pretty cool and while we've gotten a lot less Dig lately after "his" prison/army episode a few weeks, he's still Dig. There's a lot of bloat, but they've been handling it pretty well where most of the group isn't at the forefront of the episode so a few of them have time to shine each week.

Fully expecting Ollie to go pretty apeshit on Felicity over this super-flash drive that seems to solve literally any problem they have once she takes it a bit too far. She kinda did already with the Susan Williams stuff, even if Thea supposedly told her to, because I can't imagine Ollie can be okay with her doing that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Didn't Cupid get killed in the Suicide Squad group? Or was that a different crazy I'm thinking of?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, her last appearance with them was in the episode where Deadshot died. She was alive and well at the end when he exploded.

Then she had that married couple killing episode. Oliver shot her with Dig's tranq gun in that one.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Ah that's right. I forgot only the movie Suicide Squad characters had to die.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was a ridiculously pretty jailbreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The crooked cop lady definitely seemed the odd woman out in that trio.

• Locked thread