Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It means "objectively".

There is a [parental unit]. The composition can be whatever; 2 Dads, 2 Moms, 1 of each, single parent, whatever. The defining traits of the [parental unit] is that they:
a) want to provide for child/ren
and
b) have the capacity to provide for child/ren.

The parental unit decides they are going to add 1 child to their family. They have two options:

1. Create a new human
2. Adopt a child that needs a good home

For each additional child the [parental unit] wants to add to their family, they are presented with the same 2 options. Because at the current time the parental unit is going to add a single child to their family, these are mutually exclusive options. The opportunity cost of creating a new human is condemning a child to stay in the childcare system instead of providing them a loving home. This is objectively unethical.

If you don't agree then you either don't understand objectivity or have a seriously hosed up set of ethics.

And this doesn't even touch on the environmental impacts of overpopulation.

Whether or not my ethics are seriously hosed up is subjective.

But yeah what ^he^ said: anything that would have kept your parents from having you is a moral imperative so I guess I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It means "objectively".

There is a [parental unit]. The composition can be whatever; 2 Dads, 2 Moms, 1 of each, single parent, whatever. The defining traits of the [parental unit] is that they:
a) want to provide for child/ren
and
b) have the capacity to provide for child/ren.

The parental unit decides they are going to add 1 child to their family. They have two options:

1. Create a new human
2. Adopt a child that needs a good home

For each additional child the [parental unit] wants to add to their family, they are presented with the same 2 options. Because at the current time the parental unit is going to add a single child to their family, these are mutually exclusive options. The opportunity cost of creating a new human is condemning a child to stay in the childcare system instead of providing them a loving home. This is objectively unethical.

If you don't agree then you either don't understand objectivity or have a seriously hosed up set of ethics.

And this doesn't even touch on the environmental impacts of overpopulation.

BEEP BOOP I HAVE RUN THE NUMBERS AND DISCOVERED THE ONE TRUE ETHICAL SYSTEM OF CHILD-HAVING. ANY ARGUMENTS WILL BE MET WITH EXTREME OBJECTIVITY

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

I think the USA is one of the LEAST racist countries on the planet.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
My thoughts on adopting kids?

don't do it.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

a bone to pick posted:

My thoughts on adopting kids?

don't do it.

why not just curious

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

thathonkey posted:

why not just curious

you might end up adopting someone like JIZZ DENUOUMENT

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
because you can get a dog instead and dogs are much better than people

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017
Cold Storage is better than The Wire

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
You know popular public intellectual and\or celebrated nonfiction author? Well they aren't as good as everyone says, it turns out.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Trump false flagged the riots in Sweden personally

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
orenthal james simpson mudered nicole brown and ron goldman

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

orenthal james simpson mudered nicole brown and ron goldman

his son did it, look it up

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Secular Humanist posted:

You know popular public intellectual and\or celebrated nonfiction author? Well they aren't as good as everyone says, it turns out.

I have read this so-called "classic", and let me just say, it is overrated.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Jennifer Lawrence is an awful actress, she's unbelievably bad.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Cotton Candidasis posted:

BEEP BOOP I HAVE RUN THE NUMBERS AND DISCOVERED THE ONE TRUE ETHICAL SYSTEM OF CHILD-HAVING. ANY ARGUMENTS WILL BE MET WITH EXTREME OBJECTIVITY

It's true. Only a robot could understand advanced concepts like "opportunity cost" and "giving kids a loving home is good". Beep boop indeed.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

a bone to pick posted:

Jennifer Lawrence is an awful actress, she's unbelievably bad.

Now here's a controversial opinion I can agree with.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Angelena jolee is not very attractive and is a poor actress.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 23, 2017

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Cotton Candidasis posted:

Robot overlords are the only thing that can save humanity. There is nobody else who will lead without bias or corruption and make the hard decisions that are necessary in order to fix our problems and create a better future. The 2016 election is proof that humans are not capable of providing themselves with worthwhile leaders.

Beep boop.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The United States of America is the Shining Light of the Whole World

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

4chan isn't all terrible and i've found a lot of cool bands by browsing their music board

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Alpha House is terrible and unfunny in the extreme

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I have opinions. Can't get more controversial than that in this day an age.

Although if you pretend to have no opinion, you get equally lambasted for not having an opinion. Like when all the poor kids at college had their funding cut; they would get a small amount of money each week and all the ones I knew spent it on smokes. I was just over the threshold so I got nothing. I didn't sign the petition to reinstate the funding. Sadly that's the most controversial thing I have done.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Men and women are not biologically or physically the same.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Life, is an uprising within the inorganic, a tragic leap out of the inert-- life is matter animated and, it must be said, spoiled by pain.

Oh and personally I think sentience is just an evolutionary fluke that results in mass extinction, and thus ultimately extinguishes itself. Fermi paradox solved.

skeletonotherkin fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 23, 2017

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

I just don't get the hype about Emma Watson. She isn't very good and is a poor choice to play Belle.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

e: wrong thread, opinion wasn't controversial

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

There are too many people and i want someone to do something about it that doesn't affect me in any way.

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
Islam is a trash-tier religion for rapists and murderers and I hope Trump nukes mecca

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.
people need to have kids so that other people can adopt them

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Lunixnerd posted:

Islam is a trash-tier religion for rapists and murderers and I hope Trump nukes mecca

Same, but christianity, and instead of mecca, whatever US cities are most christian.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Islam is worse than Christianity. Not by much, but it's a little worse.

People who give normal Muslims poo poo are morons though.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
Not ALL Muslims are terrorists, did you know that? I'll bet you didn't. Not even an opinion, just a cold hard fact. :smug:

Oh, a problem? Well, here's another problem, so how about that?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Nolan Arenado posted:

Same, but christianity, and instead of mecca, whatever US cities are most christian.

I wouldn't mind seeing Salt Lake City go. Utah in general is such a beautiful state but mormons are so loving weird it kind of ruins it when you have to interact with the people.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Secular Humanist posted:

Not ALL Muslims are terrorists, did you know that? I'll bet you didn't. Not even an opinion, just a cold hard fact. :smug:

Oh, a problem? Well, here's another problem, so how about that?

lol

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I think Gurf is the best content creator on youtube

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Native Americans were more civilized and intelligent than white people. They were also cooler, and had greater freedoms and independence than the United States ever had.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 23, 2017

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing Salt Lake City go. Utah in general is such a beautiful state but mormons are so loving weird it kind of ruins it when you have to interact with the people.

I drove through Utah last summer and stopped in SLC. There was just this weird uncanny valley type of thing going on, it was very close to being a normal big city, but it was just off enough that it was all kind of weird and off putting.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Ulysses S. Grant was the coolest US president and was way better than people give him credit for

I dont know dick about US presidents

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Nolan Arenado posted:

I drove through Utah last summer and stopped in SLC. There was just this weird uncanny valley type of thing going on, it was very close to being a normal big city, but it was just off enough that it was all kind of weird and off putting.

It looks like Beijing during the winter due to all of the smog. It would be an excellent city if it weren't for the drat Mormons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Lunixnerd posted:

This but all abrahamic religions

• Locked thread