Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
The Turn A is the best. Iconic Syd Mead design, powered by a collapsing singularity, extremely overpowered without being glaringly obvious. I wish we could have gotten a side story set in the Dark History populated by mass production Turn A suits and bizarre clarketech-level settings. I like the G-Self a bunch for being so radically different as well, but it's too toyetic to be a real winner. Other runners up include the Ez8 and the Gundam Virtue. Love me a chunky artillery suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If the Unicorn had some blue on it to break up the white, I'd be a lot kinder to it.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Had to dig up scans I posted ages ago from Mead Gundam (Which has a fairly recent reprint so it's not mega-impossible to find anymore) showing Syd's design process from classic RX-78-2 to Moustache Mech (and you can also tell how one of the original head/face studies ended up becoming the Sumo).

(I don't know why but I keep forgetting that 08th MS Team actually predates Turn A)

(Eventually became the Sumo)

Bonus Turn X:

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

3 posted:

Had to dig up scans I posted ages ago from Mead Gundam (Which has a fairly recent reprint so it's not mega-impossible to find anymore)

I'm gonna have to pick that up. Those scans are so dope, thanks a million for the link.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Favorite protagonist gundams? Hoo boy.

Xi Gundam: Boy, shocker, the ludicrously big spiky suit right at the edge of late-mid UC where suits could be still be gigantic armored death machines. So out of character for me. But yeah, the Xi is the hulking giant of UC MSes, to the point that it borders on MA territory, with every single piece of brand spanking new tech they could possibly fit into a suit, sleekness be damned. The Xi to me is the perfect embodiment of its time period, and the last great gasp of large-scale MS design before VSBRs ruined everything.

Unicorn Gundam Series: People have already talked about the design itself enough, so I'm just gonna go into what I love the most - Its modularity. I know that this is more of a gunpla kind of thing but hey it kind of counts. Anyways, for me, I love the sheer amount of stuff that can go on it, and the fact that can all go on at the same time if you want. There's nothing stopping you from slapping Armed Armors XN/DEs, the Phenex wing pack, the FA booster backpack, etc etc all on at once. And the simple colors make it plenty easy to just make a custom that suits your tastes.

Exia: Yeah, I know, it's weird going from two giant hulking monsters to one of the smallest, lithest suits made. But I really love the sleekness and simplicity of the design, both in terms of looks and combat focus. And weirdly enough for me, Exia has the one late-series monster pack that I actually hate. Thankfully hobo exia makes up for any failings from the Avalanche or GN Arms. :swoon:

Special mentions go to Full Armor ZZ, Barbatos, and Wing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Exia is one of my favourites just for being something other than a rifle-and-shield protagonist Gundam. That big loving sword that just cleaves through everything :allears:. I don't like it as much once it gets the Seven Sword upgrade with the shield and extra swords though, but just that initial basic form is lovely.

Strike. I like the Strike, just because it actually feels like a prototype machine when you see the other G-Project Gundams. The Sword's kind of a dead-end thing (or maybe influenced the Blitz), but the Launcher's clearly a scaled-down modular version of the Buster's cannons and you can follow the design lines to see how Aile Pack's evolved into the Aegis's flight systems.

Freedom. It's just loving cool with the bigass wings and excessive weapons :allears:.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'll be the outlier. Gundam GP-01 FB is one of my favorites.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm not a big fan of UC Gundam, but I can't help but praise the Gundam Mk-II. It's such an improvement over the goofy, boxy, toy-like RX-78-2, looking real and actually dangerous. The colours on the AEUG version look really good too, and you can see how the series took the design to heart in later Gundams. I'm not a big fan of the Zeta, but goddamn I love the Mk-II. Letting it stay relevant with the Super Gundam upgrade was really nice, though the nicer thing was never naming it on-screen because drat, Super Gundam just sounds silly. I'd expect that name in G.

Talking about G, and moving away from protagonist suits, the Master Gundam is great. It pretty much is cool personified, as fitting for SUPER ASIA, the best character. And it gets cool as poo poo attacks, because G Gundam.

I'll also continue with the Exia appreciation train. A really good design, in a really good part of a series that ultimately kind of got worse, but back then it was great and the Exia was a very good show of what the series should've stayed as. Minimalist but very good weaponry, a really neat design, and just as many swords as anyone could ever want in a robot. I can't give as much love to its successors, but the Exia itself is great.

For one I didn't see any praise for, I'm a big fan of the Wing Zero Ver. Ka. The original Wing Zero is good too, but I love this weird-rear end design. The angel wings are super silly but look great, and give way to very nice poses. There's no way to justify making your Gundam look like an angel, and it is imagery that absolutely does not fit Heero, but I love it nonetheless.

Finally on the hero train, I love most IBO designs but I guess I should give special focus to the Barbatos just because giant mace? Yes. The constantly-changing armour early in the series, and the actual upgrades in S2 only elevate it to even greater heights (of bloody murder, because Mika) with the Lupus Rex just looking goddamn monstruous and having weaponry a heroic suit most definitely should never have (seriously, the Hashmal's tail? That isn't exactly screaming "we are the good guys"...which fits in IBO where the protagonists are not really heroes at all).

And going on monstruous, despite AGE being a horrible series that makes mid-late Destiny look good, I think the Gundam Legilis is one of the coolest designs around. It's the perfect combination of the alien, dragon-like Vagan designs and a Gundam, and goddamn it looks unique and cool as hell. Too bad it had to be in that series. Also, it looks awful in red.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

My favorite gundam is the wing zero custom because it looks like what I would have designed when I was 12.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ez8: The tank Gundam. Smartest beam Saber storage system

What was so smart about it out of interest? I had to look it up because I'd forgotten it entirely and it just looks like it stores them in a recharge rack by the knees with nothing else of note. Which doesn't seem any smarter or more efficient than storing it on the backpack or whatever to me. I'd think something like the V Gundam series which store them in the forearm so that unless the actual arm is destroyed they are safe and always available via dropping them out would be better personally. The Nu storing the large beam saber on the forearm is pretty good for that reason too. There's other units then like the Vegan suits that have beam saber emitters built in to the actual hand, which seems like a good idea as well. Even if it does mean you can't throw them as an improvised range weapon.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 23, 2017

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Nu has a regular saber on the forearm, the special one sticks out of the backpack.

As for Gundams I like:

The Zeta has always been a favorite of mine. The different head is cool and refreshing, even if it was introduced very early in Gundam as a franchise. I can't quite explain it but I love the shape of the leg boosters, always thought they look real cool. Transforming is always a neat gimmick as well, even if the plane mode has the typical transforming gundam problem.

The Hi-Nu, specifically the version from the book. While I like the regular Nu as well there's something about the Hi-Nu that really speaks to me. Purple being my favorite color may have something to do with it.

The Turn A. A really interesting new take on an old design, and its various powers and abilities make it a lot of fun to watch in combat.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

My favorite gundam is the wing zero custom because it looks like what I would have designed when I was 12.

What would you have designed today

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tae posted:

I'll be the outlier. Gundam GP-01 FB is one of my favorites.
Let me join on the outlier side of things by saying the Dendrobium is my favorite. Yes it is a plain-looking Gundam with a flying brick attachment, but it is a flying brick attachment than can unload a goddamn arsenal on your face and keep going. Also, I like the grapple arms, even if they're just there just so the Stamen can reach stuff stored on the Orchis.

The Alex and Destiny get my runner-up votes. Alex's only major difference from the RX-78-2 may be the arm cannons (and the panoramic cockpit), but it is still a nice simple design that doesn't go all over the place or have more flashy parts than useful parts (looking at you, Strike Freedom). The Destiny is a nice concept based around "the previous model had interchangeable backpacks, lets combine them into one package this time". Sure, the wings and palm cannons seem silly, but the design looks nice.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

GimmickMan posted:

it looks like what I would have designed when I was 12.
I think you're actually referring to Gundam The End:

AKA one of the many reasons I despise Try.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I've seen Regency era uniforms that are less over the top and painful to look at than that Gundam design, jesus.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Oh I also like the Psyco Gundam mk.II. I always like it when there's one robot that's way bigger than the other ones, and yet again I really like purple. The evil gundam face is great too.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

They really gotta make a re/100 psycho gundam, or something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

tsob posted:

What was so smart about it out of interest? I had to look it up because I'd forgotten it entirely and it just looks like it stores them in a recharge rack by the knees with nothing else of note.

Considering how often the ground Gundam fights from an embedded position with its howitzer and shield, having a Saber in grabbing distance of the hand while crouched makes more sense than mounting it on the back. Much as holding a sword on your back looks cool, having it near your hand makes more sense.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In terms of mobile suits I think have good 'designs' from an in-universe perspective:

Freedom, again, I think is actually absurdly well designed from a "I want to kill motherfuckers" perspective. it has an incredibly diverse lineup of weaponry and all of it can be used independently. If Kira actually wanted to murder motherfuckers he could do it by flying up and railgunning them at point blank range like he does to Shinn. It's heavily armored against most conventional weaponry and basically can do anything it needs to do. This also is why it's crazy good in video games because just from a sheer kill-poo poo perspective it's absurd.

From a more down-to-earth perspective the Alex is similarly well designed. It's straightforward but in an intelligent way. It has capable built-in weapon systems rather than lovely vulcans and is an overall capable and competent machine not bogged down by gimmicks or needing absurd pilots to function. (Though it naturally benefits from that.) It's sort of the polar opposite of the Freedom. It's dependable and well-designed and if you had nothing but Alex's you'd do a lot better than whatever mass production gimmickfest you were looking at today.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Where's my goddamn psyco mk3 kit

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Where's my goddamn psyco mk3 kit
Sitting in the same sealed dimension where the Deep Striker kit resides, sadly.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

I've seen Regency era uniforms that are less over the top and painful to look at than that Gundam design, jesus.

Yeah,most of Try's designs are like that-special snowflake fanfiction Gundams that all look like they were designed by someone on Deviantart. Sadly,The End isn't even the worst one. Not when the Denial Gundam exists:

Looks like the kinda robot you'd see Reaper from Overwatch piloting,not some martial artist dude (who is the actual pilot of this POS).

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

or needing absurd pilots to function. (Though it naturally benefits from that.) It's sort of the polar opposite of the Freedom.

It was designed for Amuro, who is an absurd little man

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

VolticSurge posted:

Yeah,most of Try's designs are like that-special snowflake fanfiction Gundams that all look like they were designed by someone on Deviantart. Sadly,The End isn't even the worst one. Not when the Denial Gundam exists:

Looks like the kinda robot you'd see Reaper from Overwatch piloting,not some martial artist dude (who is the actual pilot of this POS).

I think it kind of reminds me something that the Power Rangers would pilot in one of the late nineties rehashes myself.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Stupid bullshit like The End was the best part of Try though?????

The End makes me laugh and for that reason alone it's a top tier gundam design

Try was bad because it was boring, brief moments of insanity like The End or Red Jesus were the brief glimpses of how good it could have been

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Try was bad because it was boring, brief moments of insanity like The End or Red Jesus were the brief glimpses of how good it could have been

Completely agreed. That's also why the OVA was good.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Denial and The End are exactly the kind of customs people who make their own original Gundam designs would create.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

Sitting in the same sealed dimension where the Deep Striker kit resides, sadly.

Yeah but I have third parties to give me a 1/100 Deep Striker.

No such luck for a small print run game exclusive final boss design.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Denial and The End are exactly the kind of customs people who make their own original Gundam designs would create.

I'd be the sort of guy who'd just design a Deep Striker. Or my Chimera abomination from the gunpla thread.

...Actually, no, my Deep Striker would have a ZZ MPC in its head too. And the arms would also be the big battleship guns. Ooh and more INCOMs.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

I'll admit,stuff like The End was still way better than the Try Burning,AKA a blatant copy-paste of the God Gundam. Or the Charlie Sheen Winning Gundam,AKA the lamest SD Gundam ever made.
But for me,the best suit in Try is still the TRYON MOTHERFUCKING 3:

The fact that it had literally the BEST fight scene in the show helps a bunch,as well.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure everyone thinks the Tryon 3 is the best. Also I like the Star Winning's gimmick, but it wasn't used very well in the show.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I prefer the ZZZ :colbert:

(At least, what was known as the ZZZ before they changed it to something else and then modified that to become the Trion 3)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ninjewtsu posted:

The End was extravagant and self-aware, it's excess being silly by design instead of by result. Denial is just generically dark as a Gundam design, being an evil version of the main protagonists Gundam. I still wish that Sekai had been the one who piloted an SD Gundam. I don't even care about the proportions so much, but an expressive SD style face on his unit would have added a lot to his battles by reflecting his emotions and thoughts during the fights. I think seeing an SD unit manipulating and bursting with plavsky particles would have been both more entertaining and more tolerable too, given how silly it looks anyways.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Droyer posted:

The Zeta has always been a favorite of mine. The different head is cool and refreshing, even if it was introduced very early in Gundam as a franchise. I can't quite explain it but I love the shape of the leg boosters, always thought they look real cool. Transforming is always a neat gimmick as well, even if the plane mode has the typical transforming gundam problem.

i've thought the same thing about the boosters on the leg. when i was building the model it was very satisfying to finish one of the legs. they remind me of megaman x's boots

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

What would you have designed today

I love my big goofy tentacle gundam head monster.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

Lewd

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

Enjoy getting stabbed in the head by a Jegan.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

VolticSurge posted:

I'll admit,stuff like The End was still way better than the Try Burning,AKA a blatant copy-paste of the God Gundam. Or the Charlie Sheen Winning Gundam,AKA the lamest SD Gundam ever made.
But for me,the best suit in Try is still the TRYON MOTHERFUCKING 3:

The fact that it had literally the BEST fight scene in the show helps a bunch,as well.

Looks like someone spilled Masami Obari all over it.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Any picture with the devil gundam could use a caption that says "RAR IM A MONSTER!!1" because its so earnestly evil that I can't help but find it charming.

Edit:

Arcsquad12 posted:

Looks like someone spilled Masami Obari all over it.

Obari worked on those episodes. They were the highlight of Try as a whole.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh yeah, the Abigorbine was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

GimmickMan posted:

I'm imagining this scene but with amuro and char instead of The Iron Man and the Fetishist now