Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
This makes me happy.

Norwegian Air starting nonstop service to Europe starting at $65 each way.

Edit: could a 737max make it from CLE/CAK to anywhere in Europe? Shannon or Cork maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

This makes me happy.

Norwegian Air starting nonstop service to Europe starting at $65 each way.

Edit: could a 737max make it from CLE/CAK to anywhere in Europe? Shannon or Cork maybe?

How much extra is the seat? I see food isn't included.

On paper the smallest 737 max has a range of 3825 nmi, CLE-LHR is 3743 according to gcmap so it seems like it'd be possible to make it to somewhere in Ireland depending on the ETOPS rule.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ola posted:

At least it can hover! I wonder if the dream of making a "hoverbike" instead of a manned multicopter clouded his judgement somewhat. I would much prefer the rotors to be above, so the center of gravity is dangling beneath the center if lift and it's harder to accidentally chop a body part off.

That looked terrifyingly impractical just drifting around in a hangar. The thought of flying around at speed, in the open, on that thing is making me wince just thinking about. It looks like the set-up of your origin story "How I became a Quadraplegic."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

hobbesmaster posted:

On paper the smallest 737 max has a range of 3825 nmi, CLE-LHR is 3743 according to gcmap so it seems like it'd be possible to make it to somewhere in Ireland depending on the ETOPS rule.

WestJet has been running 737s from Halifax and St. John's to Dublin and Glasgow in some combinations, I believe.

Sadly, they are very much not $65 each way.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

$65 to hop across the ocean. $600 to get to a city that has one of those flights.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Ola posted:

I would much prefer the rotors to be above, so the center of gravity is dangling beneath the center if lift and it's harder to accidentally chop a body part off.

Multirotors (or rather, throttle-controlled multirotors and not cyclic-controlled like a CH-47) are already inherently unstable, so having the CG above the CL makes basically no difference since you already need a computer to control it.

And having them above your head basically means decapitating yourself if you try to get off while parked.

Deptfordx posted:

That looked terrifyingly impractical just drifting around in a hangar. The thought of flying around at speed, in the open, on that thing is making me wince just thinking about. It looks like the set-up of your origin story "How I became a Quadraplegic."

That's pretty much the case for anything you could called a "bike," hover or otherwise.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Putting someone in the cockpit fixes the CG, right? GIS for 'variviggen' is full of pictures with the nose wheel off the ground, and that one looks like it's tailstriking just sitting there.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I predict that thing will handle really well in the event of an engine failure :v:

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

HookedOnChthonics posted:

I enjoy the Blues well enough but the Red Arrows/Snowbirds style big swarms of light jets are always so much more entertaining to watch :allears:

I imagine this was a bit of a buttock-clenching experience:

quote:

Each day of the Farnborough show, the Black Arrows would start their display with the enormous formation of 22 Hawker Hunter F6's completing two consecutive loops; A world record which has never been equalled. After the loops, six outer aircraft would break off from the formation and the Black Arrows would return for a 16 aircraft roll, another unprecedented feat which, though subsequently equalled by other teams, remains unsurpassed
:britain:

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

simplefish posted:

(Harrison Ford's) Helo crash was during training,
Enjoying the Jack Ryan synchronicity.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

hogmartin posted:

Putting someone in the cockpit fixes the CG, right? GIS for 'variviggen' is full of pictures with the nose wheel off the ground, and that one looks like it's tailstriking just sitting there.

Yeah, the Vari-planes won't sit on their nosewheel without a pilot.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Dash 8 crash at Schiphol, gear failure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCOWcZi11BA

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Forums Terrorist posted:

Dash 8 crash at Schiphol, gear failure

It's still sitting on the runway surrounded by emergency vehicles - Live stream - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIItsePs718

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

How many gear collapses does that make now? Instead of -8 it should be called \8

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

bull3964 posted:

$65 to hop across the ocean. $600 to get to a city that has one of those flights.

Or spend 16 hours of your life on a Megabus!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

bull3964 posted:

It's like $160 to fly from ICT to BDL one way and that isn't a huge airport or anything

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ola posted:

How many gear collapses does that make now? Instead of -8 it should be called \8
Slash 8

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

bull3964 posted:

Not for me, closer to $40 to PVD via cab and train.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

Ola posted:

Had a heavy landing in a Flybe /8 last month as a passenger in nasty weather (aircraft after ours had to go around), was sat adjacent the undercarriage leg. Remember thinking on approach that I'd have a great view if it collapsed...

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
We're starting to price out flights to NZ, there are more options from the US than a few years back including AA on a 787. Holy poo poo that's a tiny plane for a long flight. 30 rows vs. double that on the Air NZ 777 I'd usually be on. It must make boarding and deplaning a much nicer experience. AA also has "Main Cabin Plus" for some extra room at a less horrible cost than Air NZ premium economy. Is it worth braving LAX for that flight or sticking with Air NZ through IAH or SFO though... LAX is a dump.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Ola posted:

This seems to be one of the few gear collapses that wasn't due to a design issue with the airplane or maintenance.

The Q400 had a rash of gear failures in 2007 that were traced back to a combination of maintenance issues, and design flaws in the gear system, with most of the gear problems since then following a similar pattern. A Q400 had a gear collapse in Edmonton in 2014, which was eventually traced back to resonant vibrations from a flat tire fooling proximity sensors in the gear (another design problem) , which caused the hydraulic system to remove pressure from an actuator that kept the gear locked down.

This one just looks like a hard landing (probably from a wind gust) collapsed the gear, but since that tends to result in propeller blades trying to go through the cabin somewhere around row 8, it must have been one heck of a ride for the passengers.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Somebody just posted this in the milhist thread:

Hargrimm posted:

The National Archives just put up 1,200 scans of foreign WWII posters, some pretty cool stuff.

The resolution is really nice too. You aviation nerds can zoom all the way in on this beauty:

There's a whole series of cutaway aviation subjects, in a really good resolution:

Bristol Hercules sleeve valve engine

Vickers Wellington

Short Stirling

Handley-Page Halifax II

Avro Lancaster

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Kilonum posted:

Not for me, closer to $40 to PVD via cab and train.

PVD is also about the best little airport there is

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

In regards to the Q400 crash, there's a video on the ITV website (sorry, don't have the link handy as i am phone posting from work) from inside the cabin that it looks like the prop blades ground down (yay composites)

EDIT: now that I am home

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-02-23/flybe-plane-from-edinburgh-crashes-off-runway-at-amsterdams-schiphol-airport-amid-high-winds/

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 24, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

hobbesmaster posted:

SAS/PrivatAir are flying a 737-7 on BOS-CPH which is about 3700 miles, but that's a very lightweight configuration with 80 passengers.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

SAS/PrivatAir are flying a 737-7 on BOS-CPH which is about 3700 miles, but that's a very lightweight configuration with 80 passengers.

They will also have auxiliary fuel tanks in that aircraft too. Those aircraft are closer in configuration to a BBJ than a standard 737.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

sanchez posted:

We're starting to price out flights to NZ, there are more options from the US than a few years back including AA on a 787. Holy poo poo that's a tiny plane for a long flight. 30 rows vs. double that on the Air NZ 777 I'd usually be on. It must make boarding and deplaning a much nicer experience. AA also has "Main Cabin Plus" for some extra room at a less horrible cost than Air NZ premium economy. Is it worth braving LAX for that flight or sticking with Air NZ through IAH or SFO though... LAX is a dump.

LAX and Bradley have been cleaned up so much. Varied, local food options. It is great. No longer a dump at all.

However you are insane if you don't take ANZ premium economy if you're paying for it. That is a completely different thing than MCE which isn't even noticeable to anyone.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

717 aerobatics:
https://vimeo.com/8511733

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of aerobatics, the Patrouille de France will make their first American tour in over three decades. See them from March 19 to May 4.

Livery for the occasion:

Roadmap:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
What do the French know about Oklahoma losing an order dispute with Texas in the future? :tinfoil:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mlmp08 posted:

What do the French know about Oklahoma losing an order dispute with Texas in the future? :tinfoil:

The South Carolina area is also kind of fucky, as is Maine.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Edit: Never mind, mistook a flight path arrow for a border.

Map is still screwy though.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 24, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

mlmp08 posted:

Oklahoma? Surely you mean Idaho!

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Cat Mattress posted:

Speaking of aerobatics, the Patrouille de France will make their first American tour in over three decades. See them from March 19 to May 4.

Livery for the occasion:

Roadmap:

This was useful information. Hate that they aren't flying a show at Scott AFB. KC is 4 hours away, I want to see an A400m, but not sure I want to see one 4 hours each way bad.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Are they releasing any information in English about this tour?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Cat Mattress posted:

Livery for the occasion:

Roadmap:

Saw them at Waddington a few years ago, they were REALLY good.

Not as good as the Red Arrows obvs but still well worth a watch.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Ferret King posted:

Are they releasing any information in English about this tour?

I've found this where it seems people translated the barely-legible writing from the roadmap:

2017 North American Tour Appearance Schedule – Patrouille de France

March 19th: Arrive Bagotville, QC
March 25th: Statue of Liberty Flyby, New York
March 27th: Washington DC flyby and reception with French Ambassador

April 1st and 2nd: Melbourne Air Show, FL
April 3rd and 4th: Sun-n-Fun Airshow, Lakeland, FL
April 5th and 6th: Commemoration of the 100th Anniversary of US entry into WW1, Kansas City, MO
April 7th-9th: Maxwell AFB Airshow, AL
April 10th-12th: Visit w/USN Blue Angels at NAS Pensacola, FL
April 12th: Flyby over Trescal Factory, Dallas, TX
April 12th: Refueling in Santa Fe, NM
April 13th: Grand Canyon, AZ Flyby/photoshoot
April 13th-16th: California Capitol Airshow, Sacramento & Golden Gate Bridge Flyby in San Francisco, CA
April 17th-18th: Visit w/USAF Thunderbirds at Nellis AFB, NV
April 19th: Refueling at Peterson AFB and USAF Academy Flyby, CO
April 19th: Refueling at Scott AFB, IL
April 20th-21st: VIP Event at Langley AFB, VA
April 22nd-23rd: Airshow at Stewart ANG Base, NY
April 28th-29th: NATO Tattoo in Norfolk, VA
April 30th: Wings Over Gatineau Airshow, Gatineau, QC

May 1st: Montreal, QC
May 2nd: Quebec City, QC
May 4th: Departure from Bagotville, QC

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Neat. I'm in Dallas but I have no idea what the Trescal Factory is.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cat Mattress posted:

April 10th-12th: Visit w/USN Blue Angels at NAS Pensacola, FL

Need to go to the bars in Pensacola go see this show, I think.