Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

XK posted:

I went to Train Simulator on Steam, which was the game that previously held the crown for being mocked over DLC costs.

http://store.steampowered.com/dlc/24010/

I added all of it to my cart, and it came to $6,146.65.

That's nuts, but the list of content is so long I only managed to scroll through 1/3 of it before giving up and diving to the bottom of the page. The most expensive thing is $40.

I personally think $40 is too much for a collection of railroad routes, or vintage railroad cars/locomotives, but they are targeting a very selective audience with niche content, of a historical or modern simulation context. SC ships are completely imaginary dreams. If there's 500 people in the world who want a weirdly specific route though Rheinland, and they're willing to spend $40 for it, I hope they enjoy.

There were articles written about how ridiculous Train Simulator's DLC was. Star Citizen makes Train Simulator's DLC costs look like a child blowing money at a candy shop on bubble gum.

You can spend $15,000 on SC, and that only gets you the opportunity to buy more things.

With Train Simulator I think you're firmly in the realms of it being a hobby though, I'm not saying I understand it 100% but it's like those dudes who have huge train sets in their attic or whatever. Star Citisn't is(n't) a game, so it can gently caress off on all levels.
If you asked a Train Simulator fan to buy a train for $175 that doesn't exist he'd probably say something like 'gently caress off, son' while puffing on a pipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
So that happened.

CIG - prove your claim of "open development"

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

If you asked a Train Simulator fan to buy a train for $175 that doesn't exist he'd probably say something like 'gently caress off, son' while puffing on a pipe

While wearing a smoking jacket, swilling a brandy and steadily lolling back and forth in his rocking chair with a fine layer of dust covering both him and his abode.

It's definitely for the avid train set builders, I can almost see the apeal as who isn't impressed by a really nicely built and put together one?

SC however is seemingly mostly for bunnymen and other assorted stranglings.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Haha so tempted to sign it but don't know if i'm that much of a spiteful loser. (have never put any money into shitshow,just saying)

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 23, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yes. It should use some sort of rubberized accordian type gasket to prevent that. This needs to be brought up to the issue council immediately.

And I certainly hope it's fully animated. :colbert:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Oh wow. That kid got 8 supporters, and all the ire of reddit in the process?

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5vniex/petition_to_cloud_imperium_games_prove_your_claim/

He may be learning a lesson in playing both sides at the same time.

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 23, 2017

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWynOzq-WMU&t=17s

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

peter gabriel posted:

Hellion: Is what Star Citisn't

or the reverse:
Star Citizen: You're better of playing Hellion.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dementropy posted:

He may be learning a lesson in playing both sides at the same time.

The only winning move is not to play.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Star Citizen: You're better of playing Hellion.

https://twitter.com/IAmAeroslade/status/834790090262081537

This is going to cause a lot of drama, there's actually buttons to click and things to do.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

#MSCGA

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Why does everything in every star citizen screenshot glow like it's made out of mirrors and being bathed in radiation from a star just out of view?

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

How stupid is this design? So there's a hole right under you for all your food and trash to fall into.

I can't get over this. I know. I know. Fidelity.

But seriously, this can't be just "Chris's Vision" that some poor asset dev made begrudgingly. This is incompetence at the lowest level. Why not just have a cube that lifts out of the floor? Why does it have to have that stupid flap? Why is there so much loving detail on the goddamn seat?

Look at those colorful little boxes on the wall next to the dude. Is that cereal? Do we have time and money to make sure we model and skin cereal boxes, but we can't make a game? What the gently caress is wrong with these people.

Okay I'm better now, I'm okay. It's okay. I got it out of my system. Spice feltclown.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It's getting to the point where if you want to read crazy white knight posts on r/sc you have to sort by controversial.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
This is a nice comparison on how a professional outfit puts out a sizzler reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erJhJEewCgM

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Exinos posted:

CIG putting their users on the spectrum will never not be funny.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

Why does everything in every star citizen screenshot glow like it's made out of mirrors and being bathed in radiation from a star just out of view?
star citizen is actually a holotape you're playing on your pipboy in fallout 4

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
So...wait. CIG's solution to the problem of filthy leavers and unbelievers holding them to account for things they say on their forums is to shut down the forums and move everyone onto a special app within the game itself? This has been in the works since CitCon, it's a long-term plan.

Who said something on the forums to upset Crobbler & Sandi around the beginning of last year? Who quoted them back at themselves?

I wonder how Chelsea Day is doing. Hopefully nobody is asking for photos of her feet.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

Hellion: Is what Star Citisn't

A game about space? A game?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Loxbourne posted:

I wonder how Chelsea Day is doing. Hopefully nobody is asking for photos of her feet.
How else am I supposed to create her entry on Wikifeet?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

loving filthy kitten killers.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Star Citizen: Worse than a kitten killer

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Chris's sock accounts are getting a bit more desperate as time goes on

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Propagandist posted:

I can't get over this. I know. I know. Fidelity.

But seriously, this can't be just "Chris's Vision" that some poor asset dev made begrudgingly. This is incompetence at the lowest level. Why not just have a cube that lifts out of the floor? Why does it have to have that stupid flap? Why is there so much loving detail on the goddamn seat?

Look at those colorful little boxes on the wall next to the dude. Is that cereal? Do we have time and money to make sure we model and skin cereal boxes, but we can't make a game? What the gently caress is wrong with these people.

Okay I'm better now, I'm okay. It's okay. I got it out of my system. Spice feltclown.

CR thinks that good graphics means "lots of polygons and hi-res textures", without having any real, recognizable art direction or aesthetic. Bethesda games kill me for the same reason.

On the other side of the fence, strong art direction is the reason why companies like Blizzard, Valve and Nintendo make games that run on poo poo hardware, age well, and yet look iconic.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Stomping a kitten to death or 'wrongfully' getting a $50 refund from a videogame company. Same thing in that citizen's mind.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Lladre posted:

This is a nice comparison on how a professional outfit puts out a sizzler reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erJhJEewCgM

its weird how they were able to talk about ME:A without giving out any spoilers. how did they do that?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Yeah, that was why you set those up. lmao

I laughed.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

What's the latest on Annabanana "Boots" Huxtable

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

This seems like the type of guy who would flip out if you responded to him by simply calling him "gay".

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor
Apologies if this is a remake, but I'm smelling a NY Times bestseller this year. Derek Smart described it as "Everything covered by my July 2015 blog".

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

What point are you trying to make here?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
PC INVASION: Star Citizen petition launches requesting more open development

quote:

When Star Citizen launched CIG made it clear that they would be open with development, after all, it’s backers money they are using to make the game.

In the past six months, CIG has taken some action to be more open when it comes to showing exactly what progress has been made. The addition of the development timeline is one example.

Late last year when CIG decided to pull Squadron 42 footage from CitizenCon, it raised more than a few eyebrows with backers. Chris Roberts explained in December that they simply were not ready to show a vertical slice of Squadron 42 at CitizenCon and they also decided not to show any footage in the December holiday update stream.

Backers have seen hardly anything of Squadron 42 which is of some concern. The same goes for the big 3.0 update, nobody really knows when that will appear and late 2017 is the best guess. So why should backers be guessing? Should CIG be more transparent?

These are the questions being raised in a new petition which has launched asking for CIG to be more transparent and show exactly where they are in the development pipeline and show the progress that’s being made in more video streams, update the development timeline more often, and even introduce a Trello board.

The final request is to add the 3.0 update and Squadron 42 to the Star Citizen development timeline which seems like a reasonable request. Even if CIG are some way off from releasing these, surely CIG has a rough estimate for completion. Especially for Squadron 42.

With backers continuously pulling out and requesting refunds, it might be time for CIG to step up their transparency. This would at least allay any fears within the community and keep more backers engaged.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Spatial fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 24, 2017

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Thanks Thread for the Hellion recommendation. That games looks pretty interesting and I hadn't heard about it until I scanned a few pages of this thread to see how much closer CIG was to its demise.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Look at all these terrible opinions. Elite is extremely cool and good.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Meridian posted:

Look at all these terrible opinions. Elite is extremely cool and good.

I mean it's pretty dull and shallow imo but it does what it means to do and does it extremely well.

A million miles wide and an inch deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Elite is way better than Star Citizen in the same way that it is way better than crippling stomach pains or the clap.