Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Sorry if this isn't the place to ask, but when connecting my phone to my laptop to charge (I left it at home and am in a hotel tonight) the battery drains, fast. It shows a charging symbol, but it just keeps draining. I tried googling and the supposed fixes don't work, or its people arguing about whether this is even possible. Any advice? Its a Galaxy S5 and a Windows 10 laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

swickles posted:

Sorry if this isn't the place to ask, but when connecting my phone to my laptop to charge (I left it at home and am in a hotel tonight) the battery drains, fast. It shows a charging symbol, but it just keeps draining. I tried googling and the supposed fixes don't work, or its people arguing about whether this is even possible. Any advice? Its a Galaxy S5 and a Windows 10 laptop.

One possibility: check your battery stats to see what apps are draining the most and force close them.

Other possibility: Micro-usb is poo poo and will give up the ghost after a while. When plugged in, it'll drain the battery rather than charge it. This can be temporarily remedied by pushing the middle tab toward the center again.
It's why I wirelessly charge my Nexus 5 now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pulled out my old S3 whilst my current phone goes into repair and drat, I forgot how glorious the extended battery on this baby was. drat I miss being able to swap in a giant oversized battery (at the horrible cost of a few extra mm of thickness oh the humanity how will I survive).

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

One possibility: check your battery stats to see what apps are draining the most and force close them.

Other possibility: Micro-usb is poo poo and will give up the ghost after a while. When plugged in, it'll drain the battery rather than charge it. This can be temporarily remedied by pushing the middle tab toward the center again.
It's why I wirelessly charge my Nexus 5 now.

I rebooted it and closed out all apps. Rebooted computer too. It charged perfectly fine last night, so have no idea whats up. What do you mean by " pushing the middle tab toward the center"? Thanks for your help so far.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
lol

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/834550877058953216

Some lofty guesses there!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The first two phones aren't even out yet and I can't wait for this rounded corner display poo poo to die.

It's not 1970 and these aren't CRTs.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

4G LTE enabled??? And it comes with The Android Operating System?????? :eyepop:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sounds like the Note 7 *salutes the heavens*

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

swickles posted:

I rebooted it and closed out all apps. Rebooted computer too. It charged perfectly fine last night, so have no idea whats up. What do you mean by " pushing the middle tab toward the center"? Thanks for your help so far.

At work, or I'd post the Cnet/Verge article I read this from, but:
If you shine a light into the phone port, you should see that it's not a hollow rectangle like full size USB, but instead has a small tab. Take a toothpick or similar object and carefully push it so there's space in either side.

Then try charging as normal.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
T-Mobile put the LG V20 on sale for $360 today so I hopped right on that poo poo. So far I actually really like it, so naturally I'm sure that this thread will be willing to tell me what an idiot I am for buying one.

Have at it!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

At work, or I'd post the Cnet/Verge article I read this from, but:
If you shine a light into the phone port, you should see that it's not a hollow rectangle like full size USB, but instead has a small tab. Take a toothpick or similar object and carefully push it so there's space in either side.

Then try charging as normal.

Oh hey, that actually worked. Thanks!

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

TMobile currently has the Galaxy S7 Edge for sale for $360. Is there any reason not to get it at this price point?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
If you can afford a Pixel, you're better off with that in the long run. But it's a flagship phone at budget price, so it's tough to beat otherwise. You should have a 2 week return policy to test out if the minor UI changes bother you enough (but then again the budget options are not running stock either).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

TMobile currently has the Galaxy S7 Edge for sale for $360. Is there any reason not to get it at this price point?
1: it's not a Pixel
2: it is a Samsung

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Pulled out my old S3 whilst my current phone goes into repair and drat, I forgot how glorious the extended battery on this baby was. drat I miss being able to swap in a giant oversized battery (at the horrible cost of a few extra mm of thickness oh the humanity how will I survive).

Yeah, I always put extended batteries on my Samsung phones. Not having to charge for 3 days was pretty amazing and I wish more phones had removable batteries (especially since the battery loses about 20% of charge a year I read).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lelandjs posted:

T-Mobile put the LG V20 on sale for $360 today so I hopped right on that poo poo. So far I actually really like it, so naturally I'm sure that this thread will be willing to tell me what an idiot I am for buying one.

Have at it!

We're you aware that LGs have been dying right and left for no reason at all over the last year or so? That's the difference between idiocy and ignorance.

Edit:

Even though this is a Samsung it's a way better choice:

Tiny Lowtax posted:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LastInLine posted:

We're you aware that LGs have been dying right and left for no reason at all over the last year or so? That's the difference between idiocy and iignorance

I was not aware, no. I didn't bother looking into other LG phones, nust read online about the V20. Whelp!

Also I've had the S7 Edge and I liked a lot about the phone, but since this is the first time in ages I've actually purchased a phone outright and intend to keep it for... as long as possible, I guess, I figured getting the one thst has a user replaceable battery was the better choice.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lelandjs posted:

I was not aware, no. I didn't bother looking into other LG phones, nust read online about the V20. Whelp!

Also I've had the S7 Edge and I liked a lot about the phone, but since this is the first time in ages I've actually purchased a phone outright and intend to keep it for... as long as possible, I guess, I figured getting the one thst has a user replaceable battery was the better choice.

If you're planning on keeping it for a long time the LG is the worst choice you could have made. They tend to die right after the warranty expires. It's been happening across models and it's really too early to know if the V20 is going to suffer the same fate, but judging by the way they tend to go it looks like LG got sold a bunch of bad storage. They just one day go into a bootloop and require a hardware swap. They just up and die.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 23, 2017

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Is there any info on how common the 6P battery issue is? I'm about to buy one (refurb; can't find it new anywhere) since it remains the best choice in the 300~400€ range and I'd like to know what the odds are.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

That Bluetooth bug is getting really annoying on the Pixel. Hopefully they patch it soon. https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5google.com/2017/02/22/google-pixel-bluetooth-disconnect/amp/ hit me after the latest patch

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Tiny Lowtax posted:

They have a bill credit if you buy a Pixel.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offer/google-pixel-phone-offer.html

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

That Bluetooth bug is getting really annoying on the Pixel. Hopefully they patch it soon. https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5google.com/2017/02/22/google-pixel-bluetooth-disconnect/amp/ hit me after the latest patch

Yeah. I've been noticing that occasionally in the morning that I get a buzz in my pocket and none on my wrist. I then look down and see the disconnected icon on my Moto 360 and discover that the phone turned off bluetooth for some reason.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Not saying it's not an issue (not one I have with my pixel though) I just think it's hilarious that all of these Android "news" sites take stupid posts from r/GooglePixel and make them into articles. I can't remember what the last one was that I read, but it was literally 1 person reporting a problem and the guy at android police spun it into a "potentially thousands of google pixel users affected by this problem" and it ended up being something stupid the poster did that caused it.

Edit: I guess my point is don't read Android fanboy websites for problems and fixes... just go to Reddit because that is where they get everything they write.
Edit2: My wife's Pixel turns bluetooth off on her so I know it's an issue, but mine doesn't. Her Pixel also seems to get security updates days before mine does. I haven't even see the February security patch that caused the problem, while she got it a week ago.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 23, 2017

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

seravid posted:

Is there any info on how common the 6P battery issue is? I'm about to buy one (refurb; can't find it new anywhere) since it remains the best choice in the 300~400€ range and I'd like to know what the odds are.

It seems pretty common, to the point that a refurb probably has a new battery since that's most likely what it was RMA'd for. I wouldn't get a new one that's been sitting on the shelf for a while, but a refurb should be fine. (As long as it's from somewhere with a decent return/exchange policy)

Edit: FWIW, my launch day 6p shuts off between 15-20% if I've had it outside in sub freezing temps during that charge cycle, otherwise it's fine. But a lot of other people (even in this thread) seem to have it worse.

Theris fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 23, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Yup, happens to me and it's super annoying when you have a smartwatch that depends on ongoing bluetooth as well :(

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Theris posted:

It seems pretty common, to the point that a refurb probably has a new battery since that's most likely what it was RMA'd for. I wouldn't get a new one that's been sitting on the shelf for a while, but a refurb should be fine. (As long as it's from somewhere with a decent return/exchange policy)

Edit: FWIW, my launch day 6p shuts off between 15-20% if I've had it outside in sub freezing temps during that charge cycle, otherwise it's fine. But a lot of other people (even in this thread) seem to have it worse.

I got my 6P replaced just out of warranty for the battery issue. My refurbished replacement device with a new battery has been going for a couple months now and it's amazing, back to all day battery life again.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

SB35 posted:

I got my 6P replaced just out of warranty for the battery issue. My refurbished replacement device with a new battery has been going for a couple months now and it's amazing, back to all day battery life again.

Yep same here. I thought I might have fixed the battery issue with some Rom Flashing shenanigans. (Flashing the Original 6.0.0 rom, then back to 7.1.1 etc) but the speakerphone stayed dead so it was worth swapping out).

The Refurb was actually built on the same day originally and is only off by like 100 in the SN lol. Go figure.

Only thing I am bumed about is the build quality of the refurb isn't quite factory new. You couldn't feel the antenna lines in the original and there is a tiny gap between the glass and the metal band before the outer metal layer.. :(

But inside a rubber thin case, you don't notice any of that and the phone continues to impress. :)

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Got my RMA'd Nexus back on Tuesday. Had it for a couple of hours before it started to shut off an on, factory resetting didn't fix it either.

Lets hope third times the charm? Is there a reliable place to get Pixel or should I just try ebay?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What was the goon-recommended file explorer app? I want to invest in one and stick with it but I can't remember which of them aren't scummy.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

IAmKale posted:

What was the goon-recommended file explorer app? I want to invest in one and stick with it but I can't remember which of them aren't scummy.
ES turned into crap. I moved to solid explorer.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Messing around with my new Pixel. Love it.

Having a difficult time trying to add a new screen to the left of my home screen. I know how to turn off the Google App, and I know I drag an app to a new screen to add one, but this only works on the right side. Furthermore I can't drag that new screen to the left side of my home screen. Something I'm missing?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Tim Whatley posted:

Messing around with my new Pixel. Love it.

Having a difficult time trying to add a new screen to the left of my home screen. I know how to turn off the Google App, and I know I drag an app to a new screen to add one, but this only works on the right side. Furthermore I can't drag that new screen to the left side of my home screen. Something I'm missing?

Not really, the google now cards to the left are always there. You can only add to the right.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Why not just move everything on your furthest left screen one screen to the right? Boom, blank screen in the left.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Wacky Delly posted:

Not really, the google now cards to the left are always there. You can only add to the right.

Welcome to the Google-ture

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The Duggler posted:

Welcome to the Google-ture

nova launcher

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Why not just move everything on your furthest left screen one screen to the right? Boom, blank screen in the left.

Unless it's been recently changed, the Google launcher doesn't allow blank screens.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Desk Lamp posted:

Unless it's been recently changed, the Google launcher doesn't allow blank screens.

No, and hitting the home button will return you to the screen 1 right of google now.

Personally, I like that, but if you don't, you're forced to switch to an alternative launcher.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Nova is popular and if you like the news tab but want more customization, you can get the HTC Sense launcher from the market now.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

My work got me a pixel today and the very first thing I did was install Nova. I wanted to give the pixel launcher a chance but it was really bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I like the Pixel launcher and use it fulltime!