Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Taear posted:

People know racist is bad and don't like to be called a racist but they don't consider whatever their ideas are to actually be racist. The same goes for sexism - plenty of people I work with were totally supportive of Trump's pussy grabbing stuff because "Hey, everyone is inappropriate sometimes".
At this point I'm not even sure what is considered racism - maybe just saying friend of the family and so on.

My feeling is that people assume that their job must have gone somewhere. That they've been made redundant not because of capitalism or mechanisation but because someone else has that job and it still exists. And therefore it's a minority or a woman, to make things "more equal". John Harris' videos definitely support people having that idea.

Spot on. Racism itself isn't the thing that's considered bad, they don't give a poo poo about racism. It's the label. They get so indignant because racist=bad and I Couldn't Possibly Be A Bad Person. Like you say, only the most overt, obvious racism (to white people) is considered to be racist. This is done very deliberately, since it allows 'subtle' racism to go unchallenged and makes anyone who calls it out to appear to be in the wrong.

Walking down the street in a white hood shouting racial slurs is the only acceptable thing to call out. Saying 'I'm not racist, but I want to live amongst my own' is seen as a common sense argument, and it can't possibly be racist since the person saying it said 'I'm not racist'!

I think we also need to bare in mind that English/British identity is a dogwhistle for white identity amongst these types. PoC are not considered to be British/English by these people, doesn't matter if they were born here and lived here all their lives. That Jack Buckby poo poo head, or whatever the hell the BNP wanker is called, makes this very explicit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

LemonDrizzle posted:

I'm not a Muslim or someone knowledgeable about Islam, but I don't see why the bank wouldn't be able to charge late payment fees - it's not usurious to charge someone for failing to hold up their end of a deal, after all. The bigger attraction for a non-Islamic customer might well be that the mortgage effectively has a fixed rate of interest for its entire duration, so even if there's an inflation crisis and the base rate shoots up to 10% or more, you can just keep on trucking with the same monthly payment you agreed at the outset.

Basically every fee, included late fees, are considered riba AFAIK. Islamic banks have way less recourse against delinquent customers. An Islamic bank account wouldn't charge you for an overdraft either, if they offered that service.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
there is an element of risk transfer involved in bai inah loans, so it's not exactly identical to a rent-to-own

you may be assured however that the bank is well paid for assuming the risk. you are also not immunized from late payment fees; the theological card in play is that the fees must be composed of 1) the actual losses borne by the bank for the late or non-payment, and 2) additional penalty charges which may be levied to deter late payment, but must be turned over to charity if collected. as you can imagine, especially given #1, the interest rate is not substantially different from non-Islamic interest rates

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
The raw data from that Yougov polling of peoples opinion of significant Labour MP's is really interesting.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/5611f0zc0v/InternalResults_170212_LabourLeadership_W.pdf

Some interesting points

Dan Jarvis, Lisa Nandy, and Angela Rayner aren't well know at all.

Anyone who is none white is disliked by UKIP voters, although Clive Lewis doesn't do too badly with them - he isn't well liked with Conservative voters though, but then again hardly anyone is. Only Sadiq Khan, Kier Starmer and Hillary Benn have passable ratings with Tory voters (out of the MP's that at least 15% of the people polled knew of).

Less than 1/3rd of the people polled knew who John McDonnell was / knew enough about them to pass an opinion.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Spangly A posted:

I've heard grown adults refuting racism by denying using "the n word" like they're a kid swearing at school. Which is my argument; that sort of line of thought is only possible if the education system has failed you. The flip of which is that those who have been failed do not like the transitional connotation of being failures, so clearly they got by just fine and why can't kids today and I tell you what I think it's because of whichever immigrant is most in the news. It's like watching dogs chase their tails, and I really don't like thinking that about other humans. If politicians and the media don't address that no, there is something deeply wrong here, then we can't fix it. We're not going to produce good journalists with no teachers, and modern capitalism won't produce good politicians full stop.

What's difficult is that now we're all in our own bubbles finding people and changing their minds is so difficult - door knocking helps but it's just not enough, there's too many people and not enough time. How can you make a decision about your government when you have absolutely no idea how any of it works? How can you be anti racism if you don't know what racism even is? And then on the other side of that how do you get them to believe you when they're now convinced anything anyone says is a lie unless it backs up what they already think?

I'm going to use a poo poo computer game analogy now. Whenever I play 4x or RPG games I'm reminded that a good 60/70% of the people playing just pick the default options the game gives them. They're always humans, soldiers, whatever it is that the game gives you off the bat. When people on this forum see that fact in a thread they never believe it because they don't know anyone who does it, so it must not be true. People do this with everything - they pick the basic thing and those that go further never believe that anyone would do it.
I wrote a paper on this but I can't find it on my university website any more so gently caress you okay.

quote:

The raw data from that Yougov polling of peoples opinion of significant Labour MP's is really interesting.
Looks like someone spelled "depressing" wrong.

Taear fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 23, 2017

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I am not an expert, but anecdotally malaysian and emirati jurisprudence is especially influential mainly because they are relatively friendly to islamic financial innovation - if you run around shouting riba riba riba, then you're not going to develop a market in it and are hence not going to be an authority anyway

but these countries favour a strongly neoliberalised, efficient-markets interpretation of it, e.g., a bai inah is not usurious because the purchase and the loan is theoretically unrelated, i.e., after buying the house from the bank, the new homeowner must have the option (not an obligation) to either pay in full and walk away, or otherwise raise the funds by mortgaging it to the bank - or any other bank. fairness is interpreted in terms of optionality and the presumption of an efficient rate available to a consumer in the open market. and then one bangs the table about maslaha and istisla and then I walk out the room shaking my head

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ukle posted:

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/5611f0zc0v/InternalResults_170212_LabourLeadership_W.pdf

Some interesting points

Dan Jarvis, Lisa Nandy, and Angela Rayner aren't well know at all.

Anyone who is none white is disliked by UKIP voters, although Clive Lewis doesn't do too badly with them - he isn't well liked with Conservative voters though, but then again hardly anyone is. Only Sadiq Khan, Kier Starmer and Hillary Benn have passable ratings with Tory voters (out of the MP's that at least 15% of the people polled knew of).

Less than 1/3rd of the people polled knew who John McDonnell was / knew enough about them to pass an opinion.

A Benn having decent ratings with Tory voters. What a dark timeline we live in.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Make Sadiq leader

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Paxman posted:

Make Sadiq leader

let's see where he is after a few more grinding tube strikes

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Taear posted:

Looks like someone spelled "depressing" wrong.

If anything its shows its not depressing for Labour, but very optimistic - IF they get rid of Corbyn, and choose someone who isn't as hated. The polling shows that out of those asked about only a few of the Labour MP's are really hated - Corbyn, McDonnell, Milliband, Watson, and Thornberry.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ukle posted:

If anything its shows its not depressing for Labour, but very optimistic - IF they get rid of Corbyn, and choose someone who isn't as hated. The polling shows that out of those asked about only a few of the Labour MP's are really hated - Corbyn, McDonnell, Milliband, Watson, and Thornberry.

It means that the media can control the narrative too easily. It won't matter what happens if any leader that comes up other than Khan will get the same treatment Jeremy had at the start. And I really don't want centre-right Khan as leader.

haakman
May 5, 2011
On the subject of racism I'd just like to share an anecdote. Was supply teaching today - year 11 computing. Notice a kid has a badge on. Eagle shaped. Innocent me thinks it's the double headed eagle of the Imperium of Man. It only had one head though. Now I'm a history teacher so after close inspection could clearly see it was a Reichsadler. Kid doesn't really explain but at the end of the lesson pops up and hands me a leaflet... British Fascist Party or something like that. Holy gently caress.

Needless to say - straight to PREVENT.This poo poo is in our schools.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

ronya posted:

I am not an expert, but anecdotally malaysian and emirati jurisprudence is especially influential mainly because they are relatively friendly to islamic financial innovation - if you run around shouting riba riba riba, then you're not going to develop a market in it and are hence not going to be an authority anyway

but these countries favour a strongly neoliberalised, efficient-markets interpretation of it, e.g., a bai inah is not usurious because the purchase and the loan is theoretically unrelated, i.e., after buying the house from the bank, the new homeowner must have the option (not an obligation) to either pay in full and walk away, or otherwise raise the funds by mortgaging it to the bank - or any other bank. fairness is interpreted in terms of optionality and the presumption of an efficient rate available to a consumer in the open market. and then one bangs the table about maslaha and istisla and then I walk out the room shaking my head

I didn't think the stuff you wrote could get more impenetrable, but you've one-upped yourself here

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

ukle posted:

Corbyns ratings nosedived after a few months in charge. You can chalk that entirely up to his personal failings if you like, but I think the relentless biased media campaign against him probably had something to do with it.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

MikeCrotch posted:

I didn't think the stuff you wrote could get more impenetrable, but you've one-upped yourself here

modern islamic finance is like that - it's a conventional cupcake with a dash of arabic sprinkles

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

haakman posted:

On the subject of racism I'd just like to share an anecdote. Was supply teaching today - year 11 computing. Notice a kid has a badge on. Eagle shaped. Innocent me thinks it's the double headed eagle of the Imperium of Man. It only had one head though. Now I'm a history teacher so after close inspection could clearly see it was a Reichsadler. Kid doesn't really explain but at the end of the lesson pops up and hands me a leaflet... British Fascist Party or something like that. Holy gently caress.

Needless to say - straight to PREVENT.This poo poo is in our schools.
I heard somewhere the other day that something like two thirds of prevent referrals are for far-right stuff.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

forkboy84 posted:

It's Terry Funk cutting a promo down at the Double Cross Ranch. He's talking to a horse's arse, which he calls Eddie Gilbert, the man he is feuding with. It is from 1993 ECW. I may have watched that episode recently. In another promo he gets a dummy with Gilbert's photo glued on it and then runs it over with a tractor.
Illumination dawns!

At least I can identify a butt in a gif, even if it turns out to be a horse's butt

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

jabby posted:

Corbyns ratings nosedived after a few months in charge. You can chalk that entirely up to his personal failings if you like, but I think the relentless biased media campaign against him probably had something to do with it.

Corbyn and Ed being in the same position is pretty telling

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Paxman posted:

Make Sadiq leader

Poor John McDonnell - noone knows who he is but they hate him anyway

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

forkboy84 posted:

A Benn having decent ratings with Tory voters. What a dark timeline we live in.

Tony was a Eurosceptic, would have made for an interesting dynamic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Thought this was one of those political compasses for a second.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Paxman posted:

Make Sadiq leader

No, gently caress off. We've already had Labour leaders who do their bit to break strikes, I will never support one of those.

I'm utterly fascinated at the idea that Hilary Benn having positive ratings. I'm just going to assume the public looks at every view I hold and acts contrarian.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Ratjaculation posted:

Remember that time a man who hosed a pig let the country economically kill itself haha

What, Rory Kinnear?

(Yes I just binge watched all of Black Mirror on Netflix, now the references at the time make sense. Had some odd dreams after that.)

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

The public are pure evil and hate all that is good in the world. That's why they hate foreign people and Jeremy Corbyn.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

forkboy84 posted:

No, gently caress off. We've already had Labour leaders who do their bit to break strikes, I will never support one of those.

first time Khan's ever been compared to Ramsay MacDonald

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

I'm utterly fascinated at the idea that Hilary Benn having positive ratings

The entire graph is negative :v:

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Pantsuit posted:

The public are pure evil and hate all that is good in the world. That's why they hate foreign people and Jeremy Corbyn.

Don't chalk up to evil what you can chalk up to a simple combination of stupidity, selfishness, apathy and lack of a broader perspective.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

forkboy84 posted:

I'm utterly fascinated at the idea that Hilary Benn having positive ratings. I'm just going to assume the public looks at every view I hold and acts contrarian.

Never forget that the public, i.e. most people, don't read the papers and aren't nearly as obsessed as we tend to be.

I'm willing to bet the Hilary Benn thing is the leftover from that massive blowjob the media gave him for that Syria speech; most people probably have a vaguely fuzzy feeling about him from that.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I share my name with a king - a loving king!

I am neither "posh" nor consider myself anything other than working class.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Junior G-man posted:

Never forget that the public, i.e. most people, don't read the papers and aren't nearly as obsessed as we tend to be.

I'm willing to bet the Hilary Benn thing is the leftover from that massive blowjob the media gave him for that Syria speech; most people probably have a vaguely fuzzy feeling about him from that.

It'll be this for sure, they won't know anything else about him. Maybe a bit from the surname.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Gum posted:

Corbyn and Ed being in the same position is pretty telling

Indeed, despite pretty wide differences in policy and personality they have ended up equally well known and equally disliked. You might as well just label that spot 'where you go if the media doesn't like you'.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

MikeCrotch posted:

you cant charge interest as a muslim but there are muslims who charge interest because that's different, is the short version

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Junior G-man posted:

He is also shockingly well known with almost 2/3rds of those polled giving an opinion about him, so he is well liked generally as that almost 0 overall score is about as good as you can realistically get given how polarized our politics has become. I would love to see what the Labour membership view of him is, I bet its significantly more negative.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Pochoclo posted:

Don't chalk up to evil what you can chalk up to a simple combination of stupidity, selfishness, apathy and lack of a broader perspective.

the idea of good and evil as things people are in possession of, rather than choose to do, is horrific on the face of it. Manicheanism was dumb when bush did it, it was dumb when Mani did it.

People are evil because they don't know better. Let's not pretend these stupid, selfish and apathetic people aren't responsible for mass murder. They are, we just call it politics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sion posted:

Like- that's the street I stayed on when I lived in boro. It looks a lot like how I remember it but then again there's a generic 'grim northern town side street' image in my head.

Doesn't look like boro, no industry on the horizon.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

ukle posted:

He is also shockingly well known with almost 2/3rds of those polled giving an opinion about him, so he is well liked generally as that almost 0 overall score is about as good as you can realistically get given how polarized our politics has become. I would love to see what the Labour membership view of him is, I bet its significantly more negative.

Well his own constituency Labour party were trying to de-select him, so draw your own conclusions

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

OwlFancier posted:

Doesn't look like boro, no industry on the horizon.

looks exactly like boro then. :(

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Zephro posted:

Hi goons.

I'm writing my will. Not because I'm about to die (as far as I know, anyway), but because it's a good idea. One of the things you have to do is specify what happens if your beneficiaries die before you do. At some point the connections get so distant and meaningless that I'd just rather give whatever money I'm leaving behind to a charity. I have a charity in mind, but I thought I'd do a bit of crowdsourcing before I make my final decision. So if anyone knows some charities that are particularly effective, or which serve "unpopular" but important problems, I'm open to suggestions.

Feel free to totally ignore this post if it's a downer compared to the usual jolly high-jinks of this thread, home of the Hope Is A Lie image-macro :v:

I've got a fair chunk of cash in my will going to the PDSA and Dog's Trust, because humans can mostly get hosed but They're Good Dogs Zophre.

(I joke but PDSA in particular deserve a lot more love than they get - I know some people - even supposed leftists - will turn their noses up and say "Well poor people shouldn't have pets if they can't afford to keep them" but gently caress that. A pet can be a literal lifeline for a lot of people, and the idea that they should be left to die of something relatively treatable is loving abhorrent)

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Sion posted:

looks exactly like boro then. :(

That's exactly what I thought when I saw it, but I've been caught out before. All depressing northern towns look the same, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

He shouted a lot about how much he wants to bomb Syria. That's pretty much all it takes.

• Locked thread