Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

If you dont own a home and are single, our t axes are p straight fwd tbh

I'm also given to understand that you do not have to pay taxes on any capital gains made from selling stocks/funds, because otherwise some of the financial independance calculations I've seen don't make sense.

(I also tried to use those while applying German tax rates, not including social security contributions, and now I longer intend to save because it is mathematically impossible for me to retire at below 50. :smith:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
The only thing remotely complicated about my taxes is that I my contract work for TV generates additional w-2s and some 1099 freelance stuff I do occasionally. Otherwise it's pretty simple.

i owe the feds $32 this year :(

Randler posted:

I'm also given to understand that you do not have to pay taxes on any capital gains made from selling stocks/funds, because otherwise some of the financial independance calculations I've seen don't make sense.

(I also tried to use those while applying German tax rates, not including social security contributions, and now I longer intend to save because it is mathematically impossible for me to retire at below 50. :smith:)

typically no. though those are again, not things the typical person would ever even deal with.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

And here I thought the limits you have for the estate tax were ridiculous. But no taxes on capital gains upon share disposals? Wow.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Randler posted:

And here I thought the limits you have for the estate tax were ridiculous. But no taxes on capital gains upon share disposals? Wow.
:911:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
To be fair, up until a few years ago capital gains realized by share disposals were not taxed as long as the shares were a) held for longer than 5 years and b) held by a human in his private stash (i.e. not a super-rich guy who is basically doing full-blown asset management for himself).

Reading up the changes of German taxation and social security systems since the mid-90s is basically an object lesson in learning to hate Boomers and the advantages they had. And should Schulz really win the next election, I'm sure he will expand the social safety net again but everybody under 35 will not be able to profit from it and when the now <35 year olds get to the age where they need those safety nets, there will have been a change in policy again and they get dick all despite previously having funded the previous generation.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Randler posted:

To be fair, up until a few years ago capital gains realized by share disposals were not taxed as long as the shares were a) held for longer than 5 years and b) held by a human in his private stash (i.e. not a super-rich guy who is basically doing full-blown asset management for himself).

Reading up the changes of German taxation and social security systems since the mid-90s is basically an object lesson in learning to hate Boomers and the advantages they had.

Yeah I should be clearer they are taxed, but there's like a billion ways around it and it depends on your tax bracket what the rate is etc etc.'

Short-term gains are taxes as ordinary income.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Randler posted:

the whole point of america is to prove marx correct

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

I think even in the top rate, assuming you don't know how to get around them (spoiler, they do). its only 20%

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
In Germany, everything capital gain you get above ~800 € a year as a normal human being get is taxed at 26,375% (at a lower tax rate, if you're taxed at a lower general tax rate which you likely aren't). So if you held a stock for a few years and realize a €1,000 profit on it, €200 of that are taxed even if you will never have any capital gains in the years before or after. (Oh, and no expenses in relation to actually getting those capital gains (i.e. yearly bank fees) are deductible.)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Randler posted:

In Germany, everything capital gain you get above ~800 € a year as a normal human being get is taxed at 26,375% (at a lower tax rate, if you're taxed at a lower general tax rate which you likely aren't). So if you held a stock for a few years and realize a €1,000 profit on it, €200 of that are taxed even if you will never have any capital gains in the years before or after. (Oh, and no expenses in relation to actually getting those capital gains (i.e. yearly bank fees) are deductible.)

the american tax system is basically meanwhile structured so that if you're wealthy there's always a way out of it, where as if you're not, you're hosed over

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

the american tax system is basically meanwhile structured so that if you're wealthy there's always a way out of it, where as if you're not, you're hosed over

That's true for most tax systems and not necessesarily because the policy makers hate the poor (though, it helps). Taxation is usually a policy field that by and large gets handled pretty pragmatically and it's generally easier to establish mechanisms that safeguard tax revenue against working people who derive their taxable income from easily traceable sources, i.e. wages. You just source tax (withholding) that poo poo. Rich people being more easily able to structure the way they get their income makes it require more effort to make sure the revenue is collected.

(Also, everybody should familiarize themselves with Adam Smith's 4 canons of taxation. They are probably one of the most useful things for understanding why certain stuff works the way it does.)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Randler posted:

That's true for most tax systems and not necessesarily because the policy makers hate the poor (though, it helps). Taxation is usually a policy field that by and large gets handled pretty pragmatically and it's generally easier to establish mechanisms that safeguard tax revenue against working people who derive their taxable income from easily traceable sources, i.e. wages. You just source tax (withholding) that poo poo. Rich people being more easily able to structure the way they get their income makes it require more effort to make sure the revenue is collected.

(Also, everybody should familiarize themselves with Adam Smith's 4 canons of taxation. They are probably one of the most useful things for understanding why certain stuff works the way it does.)

I mean that's true -- it's just we go so out of our way to do it that it's really incredible.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Randler posted:

no, you do get taxes on that, either via selling them usually within 12 months, or via selling a whole lot in any one year afterwards

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the whole point of america is to prove marx correct

Pyrrhic Victory!

/mortal kombat announcer voice

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

syscall girl posted:

Pyrrhic Victory!

/harry harrisson voice

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

man fucccck that

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

For the 6th day in a row temperatures here are 9C or higher. The 3.5 meter snow mountain at the end of my driveway is probably down to just over 1 meter.

By Saturday its supposed to be back to -12 and snowing.

:canada:

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

february has been really warm

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

cool i wasnt imagining this

https://twitter.com/BMonahanWSB/status/833290077266657280?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

For the 6th day in a row temperatures here are 9C or higher. The 3.5 meter snow mountain at the end of my driveway is probably down to just over 1 meter.

i wish id have -12 rather than 0-5 here, it sucks when poo poo freezes each night and melts each day

we are supposed to get -7 on sunday, but im sceptical

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Back at work we also used the American tax system to saved some few millions of taxes per years by routing some stream through Delaware. :v:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Randler posted:

Back at work we also used the American tax system to saved some few millions of taxes per years by routing some stream through Delaware. :v:

See, we don't have to use Panama or Monaco. We have loving Delaware.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

my favourite delaware thing is some lovely looking office building 101 that holds like the entirety of the high brow silicon valley tech

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The way I understand it, places like Panama or Monaco are not just about the tax sheltering. They are also (and sometimes mainly) about obsfucating assets and money streams for rich people for various reasons.

Big corporations that want to lower their overall tax rate generally prefer to use bigger, more "established" countries as tax havens, like the the Belgium, the Netherlands or the UK. The latter two still having technically independant tax jurisdictions with favorable treaties from their island holdings also play a part there. Delaware seems to fall more in with the second group than the first one.

Also, reminder that all those "No taxes on oversea profits for US corporations" is a deliberate decision by the US political establishment to subsidize oversea expansion of American businesses.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Also, maybe I should go through my "Box of electronics I no longer" use in order to finance my upgrade.

I wonder what people pay for a G9x on ebay nowadays.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Randler posted:

Also, maybe I should go through my "Box of electronics I no longer" use in order to finance my upgrade.

I wonder what people pay for a G9x on ebay nowadays.
depends on the condition. nearly-mint g9x went for 100-150 EUR on ebay a few years back afaik

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Randler posted:

The M4 is visually boring and therefore a bad video game gun.

Doesn't Germanys gun have an issue with melting

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I also seem to have two headsets, an arcade stick, a G400 and a G600 lying around. And that's just the stuff that still works. (I'm not sure if my Zowie FK2 was broke or if I shelved it for other reasons. I know that the Razr Deathadder died within 6 months or so.)

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Furnaceface posted:

Don't lord your snow over us in America where it is over 70 degrees.

I saw two gnats loving on my nose my farmers almanac tells me that's spring.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Gin and Juche posted:

Doesn't Germanys gun have an issue with melting

According to our secretary of defense, yes.

According to the courts, the troops, the allied nations who use them as well? No.

I leave the rest up to speculation. *whistles innocently*

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Randler posted:

According to our secretary of defense, yes.

According to the courts, the troops, the allied nations who use them as well? No.

I leave the rest up to speculation. *whistles innocently*

Maybe they shouldn't make the sights out of Belgian chocolate

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Gin and Juche posted:

Maybe they shouldn't make the sights out of Belgian chocolate

I will take your commentary under consideration. Let me just vet you against the file I keep to classify goon opinions on technology.

*sees "Drives American made car" next to name and tosses suggestion into trash can*

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What's my file?!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Randler posted:

*sees "Drives American made car" next to name and tosses suggestion into trash can*

At least we can make a small diesel without lying

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Also meet emissions requirements without lying.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Furnaceface posted:

Is that so?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

It may take stop-start but we make it work

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

please do not imply i work for FCA

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

But Fiat is an Italian company?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

But Fiat is an Italian company?

lol

• Locked thread