Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Hard mode really doesn't seem worth it. I keep wanting to think of it like every other platinum game but it's more like difficulty in the first game in that you can change it at any time and should probably save it for a second loop, if the game has something like that. Just funny that there's a higher instant death difficulty when almost everything on hard already one shots you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've also read that elsewhere that before long Hard is one shot mode too. I chose Normal because I wanted the lock-on functionality to be available when I want to use it. It's not especially easy on Normal either, to be fair.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If MGR is anything to go by then you shouldn't start on Hard pretty much ever.
Even Normal was real difficult until you've mastered all the hidden and unexplained mechanics.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think Hard was the ideal mode to start Rising on. It didn't lock you out of mechanics like this game does. Conversely, I think playing on Normal is bad training for Hard and up because you have a lot more time and space to hit the squares in blade mode. This game just doesn't really play much like Rising though, it's not very comparable.

I had utterly mastered Rising by the time the PC version came out, so this isn't a fair thing to consider, but my first run of the PC version on a fresh save was with the Konami code to unlock Very Hard and do it no upgrades.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 23, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I think Hard was the ideal mode to start Rising on. It didn't lock you out of mechanics like this game does. Conversely, I think playing on Normal is bad training for Hard and up because you have a lot more time and space to hit the squares in blade mode. This game just doesn't really play much like Rising though, it's not very comparable.

I had utterly mastered Rising by the time the PC version came out, so this isn't a fair thing to consider, but my first run of the PC version on a fresh save was with the Konami code to unlock Very Hard and do it no upgrades. :unsmiggh:

I dunno. Maybe I'm a special kind of stupid or something but Hard felt literally impossible to me on my first try and even on Normal the last boss took me about 12 hours (spread across several days of course) to beat, while the notoriously difficult Dark Souls series didn't feel anywhere near as brutal to me.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I dunno, probably just different strokes.

I don't really think Dark Souls is all too difficult at all, rather, it's very punishing. If you are good at pattern recognition and are good at being deliberate, Souls isn't especially hard because you can exploit their behaviours quite easily with zoning and whatnot. That's not especially untrue of any action game, but I feel there's a lot more personal skill involved with character action games like Rising, Bayonetta and friends.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Imagine MGR Hard difficulty as designed by Yoko Taro. :shepface:

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

arisu posted:

Seems like my game got hit with this bug:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comments/5vp6xs/quest_line_seems_bugged_in_my_game/

I guess I have to start over. Not that I mind playing through the demo again, but for people reading, do NOT start the game before all the game files are downloaded. You can check through Notifications > Download, the game is launchable at 10gb downloaded but wait til the full 48gb is done or you might hit that bug!

Bumping this for the new page so people don't miss it. It's important.

If you buy the digital version of this game, DO NOT PLAY IT BEFORE THE *FULL* GAME IS DOWNLOADED. The game is launchable at 10gb, but wait for the full 48gb to download and install. If you do play it early, you may hit a game breaking bug and have to start over.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I've also read that elsewhere that before long Hard is one shot mode too. I chose Normal because I wanted the lock-on functionality to be available when I want to use it. It's not especially easy on Normal either, to be fair.

Do people have any idea how the difficulties match up to other Platinum games? The demo gave me the impression that I should go one level higher than usual (Like Hard was the equivalent of Normal in other Platinum titles), but now it's sounding like they're actually aptly titled?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nier: Autobutt-a

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Same. Hard felt like the real normal difficulty and Normal felt like a gussied-up easier difficulty, to me. On Normal you could pretty much just button mash and get through fine, outside of Monsoon, Sundowner, and Armstrong.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Bugblatter posted:

Do people have any idea how the difficulties match up to other Platinum games? The demo gave me the impression that I should go one level higher than usual (Like Hard was the equivalent of Normal in other Platinum titles), but now it's sounding like they're actually aptly titled?

If you can consistently beat the demo on very hard you're probably good for hard mode in the full game. I'm not kidding when I say most of the hits I take kill me instantly. And this is with a death system that's more punitive than dark souls. And lol if you forgot to save recently.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

It's kinda hard to compare them but I'd say it's 100% true that the difficulties are appropriately titled. I think Rising is just an easy game and it's by far the freshest Platinum game in my mind which is colouring my perceptions a bit. I've not played TWOW101, Bayo 2 or any of the low budget licensed games but I'd say it's maybe about the same level as Bayonetta?

Speaking of, I just got a chip that gives you the same counter move as in Bayo where if you push the stick towards an enemy just as it's about to hit, you counter it and go hog wild. Skills like that is why Platinum games just feel good.

I had to chuckle at how the game stresses so hard that "THERE IS NO AUTOSAVE". Reviews are going to hate that so much. (You can quick save pretty freely though up to where I am so far)

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Nier: Autobutt-a

There's a trophy where you have to look up her skirt 10 times or something lol

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Lol if you didn't reload until you No Damage'd every fight in MGR

(on an unrelated note gently caress Monsoon's red mist)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

If MGR is anything to go by then you shouldn't start on Hard pretty much ever.
Even Normal was real difficult until you've mastered all the hidden and unexplained mechanics.

Compared to every platinum game I felt MGR's normal mode was far, far too easy. I had a friend try it who doesn't do action games and absolutely shredded normal mode without paying much attention to the mechanics and just button mashed :/

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Do we know how long to expect the game to be? Platinum titles are usually 7-12hr-ish but if they're only handling the combat aspect of the design could we expect a longer adventure out of this?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

People are reporting approx 10 hours for ending A.

Then a new game plus playthrough that's roughly the same content with a few new scenes put in for ending B.

Then apparently endings C and D changes things up dramatically and things go off the deep end.

Some guy on Neogaf rushed through story stuff on hard mode and got the last ending after 21 hours played, but I expect most playthroughs to be significantly longer. Sounds like he skipped most side content.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

Do we know how long to expect the game to be? Platinum titles are usually 7-12hr-ish but if they're only handling the combat aspect of the design could we expect a longer adventure out of this?

Some people have said they've been blitzing straight through without really taking time to look around, sidequest or whatever and basically, it's like 9-10 hours to get to ending A. Someone on NeoGAF said they got ending D in about 16 hours (they didn't get C I think, just A, B, D).

Apparently, A and B are similar, with the route for B giving some more scenes. The route they took to get ending D was very different to the first time through. It's like NieR, from the sound of it.

Basically, just take it at the pace you want and enjoy the ride. I'm four hours in and I've only just got to the second story quest objective's rough location.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 23, 2017

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Stuck at work for the next 7 hours and all I want to do is play. :(

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Nthing about hard mode in Rising basically being normal mode, but I think hard mode in this is pretty fun too. Noticing the enemy behaviour changes in the demo was cool, but it's totally kicking my rear end now that it's been a while. I definitely think it's a good idea to roll normal mode first.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

This is my first Nier game some I'm just gonna take my time though it all. Don't see a point in blitzing this.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

To each their own, if someone wants to just see the main story and that's it, cool. Seems like a huge waste of money to me to do that, but they spent theirs, not mine. Just a bit sad when people take that as a representation as a game when it's being played at its average when it's just probably not the case.

Like when people were showing pics of FFXV being completed in 15 hours at launch, but realistically, there's a good 50 hours of content in that game and probably more if you want to do all the secret menace dungeon stuff.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 23, 2017

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

To each their own, if someone wants to just see the main story and that's it, cool. Seems like a huge waste of money to me to do that, but they spent theirs, not mine. Just a bit sad when people take that as a representation as a game when it's being played at its average when it's just probably not the case.

Like when people were showing pics of FFXV being completed in 15 hours at launch, but realistically, there's a good 50 hours of content in that game and probably more if you want to do all the secret menace dungeon stuff.

And I figure anyone who really liked Nier or is familiar with Yoko Taro probably already knows that the really good stuff is going to be in the later loops, which adds a bunch of playtime.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

arisu posted:

There's a trophy where you have to look up her skirt 10 times or something lol

How to explode 2B's skirt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8DwSrHJtGE

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

:lol:

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
So I'm impatient and decided to drop money on a PS4 for this game, but I'm still a PC primary person and it turns out the PS4 is actually pretty great for a PC person:

720p 60 FPS, it's pretty impressive how well the remote play functionality works. Your PS4 can essentially operate as an extension of your PC, and I'm effectively able to play Automata without having to wait on Square Enix to put it on Steam.

As for the game itself, yeah, it's pretty hard, especially when you're getting used to a DS4. The playstyle is almost the complete opposite of how MGR worked. In MGR, you generally want to stand still and ready yourself for parry timing or a dodge, and allowing your light attack to keep you close to the enemy. Automata wants you to keep moving constantly with the dodge also being the run function. Dodging activates your run, and you don't need to hold anything to maintain it, and dodging again won't stop it, so you're effectively running around constantly and dodging to defend yourself. It's a very slick system, but going to take some getting used to coming from MGR.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I honestly thought it was some weird in-joke to the series as a whole when people kept posting butt this and butt that in this thread like with MGS. Now I understand. God drat.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The only problem with Remote Play is that if you get throttled upload or just have bad upload speed, you're going to be dealing with some nasty input lag.

https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dv8DwSrHJtGE

Polsy because the thumbnails and whatnot on the side are spoiler central.

The thumbnail for this is pretty NSFW though too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Apparently, A and B are similar, with the route for B giving some more scenes. The route they took to get ending D was very different to the first time through. It's like NieR, from the sound of it.

Doesn't sound like it? Nier's Ending B route was fairly transformative (not in terms of gameplay but in terms of story) while C/D's route was pretty much the exact same as B until the final boss and ending.

lets hang out posted:

Hard mode really doesn't seem worth it. I keep wanting to think of it like every other platinum game but it's more like difficulty in the first game in that you can change it at any time and should probably save it for a second loop, if the game has something like that. Just funny that there's a higher instant death difficulty when almost everything on hard already one shots you.

At least in the demo, hard mode dramatically changed the enemy AI and gave the bosses new attack patterns, while Very Hard was the same thing but with 1-hit KO. Don't know if that's the case in the full game but it would be weird if it wasn't.

Also, this is still an RPG so isn't it possible that people getting one-shorted in Hard Mode are rushing through and not leveling up enough?

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 23, 2017

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Does this game do the Platinum thing where it only records gameplay time and not the full time (gameplay + menus + cutscenes)?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Augus posted:

Doesn't sound like it? Nier's Ending B route was fairly transformative (not in terms of gameplay but in terms of story) while C/D's route was pretty much the exact same as B until the final boss and ending.

At least in the demo, hard mode dramatically changed the enemy AI and gave the bosses new attack patterns, while Very Hard was the same thing but with 1-hit KO. Don't know if that's the case in the full game but it would be weird if it wasn't.

Also, this is still an RPG so isn't it possible that people getting one-shorted in Hard Mode are rushing through and not leveling up enough?

You know how at the start of the demo you get a few waves of little guys and then a slightly bigger one drops down? He hit me once and I died.

here think about it like this: every time in the demo when the chip automatically used an item to heal you? Instead you died and got sent back to where you last saved.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 23, 2017

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

The only problem with Remote Play is that if you get throttled upload or just have bad upload speed, you're going to be dealing with some nasty input lag.

Even with enough bandwidth and a local connection there is a bit of delay. It's not a dealbreaker but once you play on your ps4 directly you will notice the difference in response times. It's just so much better for this that require timing.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Something that's cracking me up about some of the trailer footage I've seen is drat 9S do you have to stand that close when 2B is trying to do sick combos? He's like 2 feet away.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Cool, I didn't know the game was already available overseas. I'm not going to stick around long because I feel like this is going to become a "not-spoiler" spoiler zone real fast, but can anyone help me understand what the pre-order bonuses are? I have a pre-order through Amazon and I see that the Day One edition comes with a bunch of digital goods. Were the t-shirts a limited time thing, or limited to certain retailers? And is the PS4 theme going to be exclusive for the digital pre-orders? Thanks for any help, and I hope you're all enjoying your butt game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LawfulWaffle posted:

Cool, I didn't know the game was already available overseas. I'm not going to stick around long because I feel like this is going to become a "not-spoiler" spoiler zone real fast, but can anyone help me understand what the pre-order bonuses are? I have a pre-order through Amazon and I see that the Day One edition comes with a bunch of digital goods. Were the t-shirts a limited time thing, or limited to certain retailers? And is the PS4 theme going to be exclusive for the digital pre-orders? Thanks for any help, and I hope you're all enjoying your butt game.

T-Shirts were a europe thing. Amazon UK had them if that applies to you.
Never seen a US source of them as a pre-order bonus. I don't know about a theme so I can't talk about that. The skins just change your pod's appearance. Sadly, using Grimoire Weiss' skin does not make him talk or act like Weiss. :smith:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm not going to miss Weiss as much as I'll miss hearing him get called a dumbass every time I start the game.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

T-Shirts were a europe thing. Amazon UK had them if that applies to you.
Never seen a US source of them as a pre-order bonus. I don't know about a theme so I can't talk about that. The skins just change your pod's appearance. Sadly, using Grimoire Weiss' skin does not make him talk or act like Weiss. :smith:

Okay, I didn't know about the t-shirts being EU exclusive. Now if I can narrow down if the PS4 digital pre-order includes those Day One pod outfits I can safely cancel my Amazon pre-order and switch it over.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

I got the two pod outfit pre order bonus items for ordering from the HK store yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I started a new game and all the chests after the intro are already open and I can't tell whether or not this is a bug lol

e: same name in the same slot

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 23, 2017