Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Do something zot foq pit style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Splicer posted:

Yeah, was hoping for that. But hey, the base code is in the game so mods or whatever.

It'd be a little unfair I guess to get two different races who're good at different things.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Taear posted:

It'd be a little unfair I guess to get two different races who're good at different things.
Well as it stands they're strong proles, so I'm not sure how making them something else would be more fair.

Oh man, I want to play post-nuclear war humans and their radioactive cockroach friends.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

lol fanatic purifiers still have to declare war and wait between truces gobbling up 2-3 planets at a time like the rest of us idiots. New diplomacy/war rework can't come soon enough.

Also when wiz says something like "due to the biologically linked nature of their hive mind, hives aren't suited for robotic Ascension and their form of psionics is incompatible with that of the shroud" I'm like ok, cool, that makes sense within the setting of the game. But when he says "Hives can only take the biological path because of game balance and we want to pigeon-hole players and play styles more and more" I get triggered and mad at wiz blowing in our faces forcing his playstyles and political term definitions on us.

Any time I don't like the direction a feature is going in I try to make up an in-game reason for it and chill out. It's pretty silly but I guess I really care about the "narrative" of the game or what ever feeling like it makes sense vs arbitrary gameplay based design.

Also really want to be able to design my co-race. What if I don't want a lesser servant race, what if I just want two equals? Or maybe my "main" race are strong and adaptable warriors and my secondary race are weak little nerds. Mostly just want to pick the pictures. Like so the two races look like they at least evolved in the same planet. Two types of plant dudes, or two humanoids or a human and a talking dogbuds.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 23, 2017

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

TRAPPIST-1 (that one from Google Doodle) system in Stellaris

Edit:
New diplomacy window background, ooh.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Dwesa posted:

New diplomacy window background, ooh.

subtle goatse

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

BigPaddy posted:

I like planet management but I wish sectors would be more intelligent. If I could give universal permission to upgrade all space ports to 3 and to build solar panels and orbital hydroponics I would be happy. Maybe up it to 5 for sector capitals so I can tell them to build point defences and a shipyard to reduce maintenance costs outside of deployments.

The short version of most of my posts is I want to be a Space King and not a Space Civil Servant once things have reached a point they are big enough to look after themselves.

I'd really like it if I could prioritize using empty spaces on planets for happiness buildings, and request that each planet get a Paradise Dome if it's an option. I integrated a species in my current game and their ethics were all over the drat place so I've been suppressing this faction for like fifty years.

I'd also like it if there were a way to put a hold on migration to new colonies until they were at least self-sufficient, or for a set length of time. No poo poo you're unhappy, I haven't even put down a frontier hospital yet.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Splicer posted:

Well as it stands they're strong proles, so I'm not sure how making them something else would be more fair.

My presumption is that they're like basic robots and you cannot get them colonising places and things. Plus two "normal" races could still do everything and these can only do a few things.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Wiz, kind of annoyed you didn't put slow breeders and slow learners as a trait dude.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Wait a sec, Wasteful is new. I wonder if we're getting new traits?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Dog Kisser posted:

Wait a sec, Wasteful is new. I wonder if we're getting new traits?

I think that's a trait that increases the amount of consumer goods the pops consume, I remember seeing it somewhere.

So yes, I'd expect new traits that interact with the new mechanics being introduced.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Taear posted:

My presumption is that they're like basic robots and you cannot get them colonising places and things. Plus two "normal" races could still do everything and these can only do a few things.
The only thing they can't do is research good. Unless you're talking about how they (presumably) can't be leaders until you get the leaders from all species tech, which again wouldn't see as gamebreaking.

I'm presuming difficulty with adding a "leaders from just your TWO starting races" option is one of the main reasons, as if they're explicitly subservient it handily sidesteps the issue.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I'd probably have used Hyperspace instead of Wormholes myself to represent the internet or something.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Or Warp Drive since people on the internet warp facts to meet their arguments.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Fintilgin posted:

* Planet of aliens is enslaved by baddies *
* I liberate the planet from the baddies and free the slaves *

- 30% happiness WAS ENSLAVED
- 25% happiness WAS CONQUERED

:mad:

Wiz!

:mad:

Baronjutter posted:

Wiz lied, Slaves cried.
Little details like this can really make or break the "narrative" of of the game. Had the same thing happen to me and I was so sad because in my mind the entire war was about liberating these poor slaves and showering them with freedom in my multi-species democracy, but they were so angry for so long. I wrote the penalty off as them needing time to recover from their enslavement and integrate into a non-slave society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7bFgpSvRg&t=55s

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Vadoc posted:

I'd probably have used Hyperspace instead of Wormholes myself to represent the internet or something.

Wormholes are the perfect representation of the internet. It's a series of tubes...

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Galactic Information Superhighway connecting to subreddit systems, pooled under larger Subreddit Sectors and managed by dysfunctional Moderators.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Incel: -100% pop growth

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Wait, if hive minds can't do synthetic evolution and cyber stuff, we can't make the Borg. Probably the most famous hive mind in sci-fi.

Paradox, pls fix.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Soup du Journey posted:

oh neat. last time i played i had to do that manually so i'd get this eloi/morlock thing happening on my dystopian earth

Wait, does that not mean that your primary specie will be the tasty one?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Splicer posted:

The only thing they can't do is research good. Unless you're talking about how they (presumably) can't be leaders until you get the leaders from all species tech, which again wouldn't see as gamebreaking.

I'm presuming difficulty with adding a "leaders from just your TWO starting races" option is one of the main reasons, as if they're explicitly subservient it handily sidesteps the issue.

Isn't that going to be set per-race now anyway?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

GlyphGryph posted:

Do something zot foq pit style

Gonna mod in Frungy Arenas and make them massively OP, and I'll be as stoppable in this quest as the Kohr-Ah armed with the Sa-Matra.

Rincewinds posted:

Wait, does that not mean that your primary specie will be the tasty one?

All species are tasty.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 23, 2017

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Yeah seriously, it's not like you have to look to far back into human history to see examples of the invaders expecting to be welcomed openly, juxtaposed to the actual reality of upsetting the social and economic order of the place being conquered.

Still, there ought to be a mechanic when they inevitably introduce espionage to foster discontent and build sympathy among certain factions for a foreign invasion.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I've changed it so that slaves and pops being purged don't get conquest happiness penalties in 1.5.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

Wait, if hive minds can't do synthetic evolution and cyber stuff, we can't make the Borg. Probably the most famous hive mind in sci-fi.

Paradox, pls fix.

To be fair though, they created their hive mind via technology rather than already being a hive and going down that route. At least it comes across that way, anyway.

What I'd like is a way to say about a system "NEVER EVER GO HERE JESUS CHRIST DON'T". When you're doing hyperlanes and you only have a few ways to a particular system it's really annoying to see that one of the ships you've built for your fleet has flown into an ether drake for the fourth time because your fleet moved slightly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A dictatorship invading your planet on which you are a slave and not really improving your life, just declaring you liberated but now you're poor wage slave or something and I guess your planet rubble, that's understandable. A slave world being invaded specifically in the name of liberating their slaves, directly working with the enslaved population, then bending over backwards to help them adapt to being freed and finding places in a new society is something else.

Many countries were actually greeted as liberators historically when they were actually there to liberate the people and help them vs using it all purely as an excuse for their own lovely imperialism.

Wiz posted:

I've changed it so that slaves and pops being purged don't get conquest happiness penalties in 1.5.

Oh well there we go.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Milky Moor posted:

Blindsight would also say that what's under the spoiler bar doesn't preclude something being able to do everything a normal person might be able to do, particularly when viewed from the outside.

I just meant that a better example would have been a psychic ant colony or something!

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

A dictatorship invading your planet on which you are a slave and not really improving your life, just declaring you liberated but now you're poor wage slave or something and I guess your planet rubble, that's understandable. A slave world being invaded specifically in the name of liberating their slaves, directly working with the enslaved population, then bending over backwards to help them adapt to being freed and finding places in a new society is something else.

Many countries were actually greeted as liberators historically when they were actually there to liberate the people and help them vs using it all purely as an excuse for their own lovely imperialism.

I sort of figure it as one master is as good as another, and slaves are generally pretty unhappy with their lot regardless so it's not really needed even if it's a slaver conquering a slaver.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

My ex-slaves thank you.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Taear posted:

To be fair though, they created their hive mind via technology rather than already being a hive and going down that route. At least it comes across that way, anyway.

What I'd like is a way to say about a system "NEVER EVER GO HERE JESUS CHRIST DON'T". When you're doing hyperlanes and you only have a few ways to a particular system it's really annoying to see that one of the ships you've built for your fleet has flown into an ether drake for the fourth time because your fleet moved slightly.

It also can also happen with warp drives. Once there was an Ether Drake at just the right distance from my capital that ships would always fly through it's system with level 3 warp drives. I moved my ship productions elsewhere because of it. But I usually play with wormholes, where this problem does not exist. it's one if the reasons why they are my favorite FTL method.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Torrannor posted:

It also can also happen with warp drives. Once there was an Ether Drake at just the right distance from my capital that ships would always fly through it's system with level 3 warp drives. I moved my ship productions elsewhere because of it. But I usually play with wormholes, where this problem does not exist. it's one if the reasons why they are my favorite FTL method.

I only ever play with Hyperlanes and restrict everyone to the same so the map actually has geography and you're eventually rewarded with jump drives at the top of the tech tree. I feel narratively it works better that way. I wish the game was designed specifically around it (I understand what Wiz's said about it being impossible now) so it took advantage of that geography with border expansion and etc.

In ironman once I had my entire fleet destroyed by the ether drake because I'd clicked to go somewhere and didn't realise they'd all fly through the stupid thing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Taear posted:

I only ever play with Hyperlanes and restrict everyone to the same so the map actually has geography and you're eventually rewarded with jump drives at the top of the tech tree. I feel narratively it works better that way. I wish the game was designed specifically around it (I understand what Wiz's said about it being impossible now) so it took advantage of that geography with border expansion and etc.

In ironman once I had my entire fleet destroyed by the ether drake because I'd clicked to go somewhere and didn't realise they'd all fly through the stupid thing.

We really need the ability to flag systems "avoid" so ships don't path through them. Civilian ships figure it out but military ships don't.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Baronjutter posted:

We really need the ability to flag systems "avoid" so ships don't path through them. Civilian ships figure it out but military ships don't.

I think it's actually the evasive fleet posture, which civilians have by default.

Aha, Wiz, you should try having newly built ships have the evasive posture until they've reached their rally point. This clears by itself when the rally point is a fleet, I don't know how a planet rally point would function, that would probably take extra work to nail down.

Blorange fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 23, 2017

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Civvies figure it out because they're set to "Evasive" posture. Military ships default to Passive, and Passive and Aggressive don't avoid known threats on their path.

That said, known Leviathans should probably automatically be avoided by everything if possible.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Yes I know, that's why I said that we need the ability to flag systems so ships don't path through them. Come on, it was only a few posts back!

It is entirely due to evade but if you're supplying ships who are currently fighting in a system you can't set evade unfortunately.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I think this is the most significant Paradox DLC I've seen, like way beyond Art of War or some of the other well regarded ones. I hope all you bros give it realistic steam reviews when it comes out to offset the "lmao $20???" brigade on Steam.

I'm really psyched to try out the Hive Mind stuff, the Hivers ride again. Time to light some scientists on fire.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Of course letting your civ ships be set to evade means constant micro since the evasion behaviour deletes standing orders.

Also the Blindsight aliens were not really a hive mind. Especially not of the sort discussed here.

Oddly enough the hive mind mechanic doesnt even cover the closest thing we have to a hive mind in the game in the form of the prethoryns, does it? Since you can get prethoryn entities that remain fully hive mindy in your civ

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 23, 2017

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Rakthar posted:

I think this is the most significant Paradox DLC I've seen, like way beyond Art of War or some of the other well regarded ones. I hope all you bros give it realistic steam reviews when it comes out to offset the "lmao $20???" brigade on Steam.

I'm really psyched to try out the Hive Mind stuff, the Hivers ride again. Time to light some scientists on fire.

I see it as "The Wiz DLC" where he's putting his stamp on the game. It feels like CK2+ did back before he worked for Paradox.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh man the days when Wiz didn't work for Paradox.... when he was god of LP's. Seems like forever ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rakthar posted:

100% guaranteed a month after the DLC drops the reviews will be "mostly positive" or "mixed" with thousands of comments like "Game is really getting better, the new features are great, but $20?!?! WHY do we need to PAY to fix the game?!" "This update fixed half my complaints about the game but I feel forced into buying the DLC to get the full content, I already paid full price why do I need to pay again for fixes?!" "Love the update but it should be free so can't give a good review"

A lot of people don't understand that the DLC is optional to purchase but the "free" updates which often involve gutting whole game systems actually cost a lot of money/time to make.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 23, 2017

• Locked thread