Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I liked how the Dairanger monsters felt like a unique race, that's always neat when they do it in Sentai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Burkion posted:

Here's the thing about Kuuga.

Kuuga is not cool. Kuuga is about a dork who loves people and is a dork about it. He's a big ole dork that entertains children and has practiced, and made business cards about, a bunch of meaningless tricks he can do. He's not exactly happy, and he's not stupid, but he is just a really nice person who doesn't care what people think about him and only wants to help people feel better.

Godai is not a cool person ever. He's sweet and nice and caring. He'll also fight if he feels like he has to, even though it goes against everything he believes in, even though it utterly tears him up inside.

The reason why this is brought up is because the Grongi are not cool. Nothing in Kuuga is 'cool'. The action scenes are downplayed, they're more down to earth and brutal, shot in a more subdued style.

Kamen Rider Amazons has far more brutal fights, but they're shot in a very cool way. They're meant to be a spectacle. Kuuga is not. Kuuga is about the cost of power, the horror of escalation, and the pain of violence- both the obvious of getting hurt, and more importantly, hurting others.

The final fight between Kuuga and the ultimate Grongi purposely eschews rider kicks and fancy choreography and flashy powers because it's not about that. It boils down to who these two people are.

Zeba is the Grongi personified. He is what every Grongi aspire to be. And what do we see him as, in the end? A psychotic, laughing blood crazed fool, who takes pleasure in beating, and being beaten, to death. His actions across the series are kept in the dark because up until the last few Grongi we aren't meant to really get how pathetic they are. He wants humanity to become like Grongi, to abandon their morality and goodness, and embrace violence. It's why Rose is so enamored with the Detective- she sees him as an ideal human to surpass the Grongi.

Zeba and Kuuga's final conflict is actually brought up super early in the series, when his sister talked about how as a child, Godai would fight bullies while crying his eyes out. He would win, and he would fight for good reasons, but it hurt him to hit another person.

Cut to the last episode, and that's exactly the conflict and how it plays out. One, a crazed murderer with no goals other than death and enjoyment, and the other, a man who just wants people to smile. One laughs while the other cries as they beat each other out of their super awesome special super forms into boring human bodies- and still keep fighting until Godai, crying his heart out, beats Zeba to death.

It's not done in a flashy way, or in a way that's meant to pump you up, because that goes against everything Kuuga has been building up. Violence is never good.

It is some times necessary. It's also why it is the most brutal and bloody fight in all of Kamen Rider barring Shin. It's meant to be sad and uncomfortable.

That doesn't mean you're going to like it. That's my problem with Kuuga, as much as it is a problem- Kuuga is not a very FUN show. It never wanted to be. Kuuga has a message and the entire show is built around that message. It's why his power ups nuke a chunk of Tokyo and why the second to last fight is mostly off screen and leaves thousands of innocent people burned to death in the wake. Why the Grongi are so ugly and vicious, being little more than bored serial killers led by a child who revels in bloodshed and slaughters his own people for not being violent enough.

I enjoy it for that reason. It's rare to find a show that dedicates itself to its message that much. And if you don't catch onto what the show is trying to do, which is easy enough, it can be weird and anti-climatic.

Kuuga is the best, and Godai is one of the few riders that feels like a real hero because boy you get to see the sacrifices he makes in spirit and in his own life to do the thing he has to do to help people.

What I'm saying is Phillip and Ankh should have stayed dead.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I loving love Kuuga a lot. I really do.

It edges Kamen Rider Black out as my second favorite Rider series of all just because while I think Black's story comes together much more coherently and easily, Black also has literally 20+ episodes you can just completely skip and miss nothing of value. Also Black has RX hanging around its neck and having watched all of RX, that's a hell of a loving stone.

V3 is my favorite, but Kuuga is much better made. V3 is my favorite just because it's this awesome blend of the ridiculous and over the top, while also very somber and serious, in a way that's never really been matched since. Kuuga is the better made series over all, if only thanks to time, and I would love to see a proper remastering of Kuuga at some point like they've said they would. Maybe for the 50th

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I thought your favorite Kamen Rider was Bioman

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
So the first enemy in Agito is Guin?

Actually the first three enemies are Guin.

:psyduck:

Now I have the unrealistic expectation that all the enemies in this season will be references to Japanese fantasy novel series.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Slightly related but I'm the guy who loves ryuki's ending because I love to be sad about gays.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

John McClane posted:

Slightly related but I'm the guy who loves ryuki's ending because I love to be sad about gays.

I kind of prefer the movie ending myself (Shinji and Ren go down fighting as a swarm of monsters consumes the world). It's a bit dark I'll admit but I've always hated endings that pretty much render the whole series pointless by hitting the Reset Button and can't think of a single show that's ever done that well.

While not one of my favorites Ryuki wasn't a terrible series (though despite having plenty of faults of its own I think Dragon Knight handled a few things better). I just wish there was a better way to watch it besides through TV-Nihon (for example, I only recently learned that the old woman who lived with Yui was actually her aunt as opposed to her grandmother like I first assumed).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 22, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Golden-Josuke-Robot is now my favorite Kyuranger

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Larryb posted:

Kuuga is a very different beast from pretty much every Rider show that came before or after it (though Shin kind of comes close). In fact, the actual Kamen Rider portion of the show is more secondary than anything else, usually just shoved in at the end of an episode and wrapped up in the beginning of the next (the final episode in fact is one of the only times I've seen in Tokusatsu where there are no costumed action scenes at all). It's also the only Heisei series to only feature one Kamen Rider, every show afterwards had at least two.

I honestly wouldn't mind them trying another show in that style again one day, though it's doubtful they could pull it off seeing as there's a lot more emphasis on selling toys these days (of course, that was true of the original shows back in the 70s as well, it's just become a lot more overt).

Faiz was actually similar in some ways. In most Faiz episodes, there isn't any Rider battling until the last five minutes of the show, which gets wrapped up in the five minutes of the beginning of the next episode, and then terrible drama for the majority of the episode. It had a lot more fighting towards the end, though, but the beginning and most of the middle is pretty much just drama bookended by short fights.

Ex-Aid was really good this week although I am extremely disappointed we didn't get to see Hiiro use the Mighty Action X gashat. I'm curious if the writers just didn't know how it would work and thus just wanted to make sure the situation didn't happen, or if it was a purposeful decision to keep each Rider having their own identity, so there isn't something like Faiz where belts were constantly swapped between the characters. I also enjoyed Brave turning from a generic knight character into a mage, that was great.

Gonna be real interesting to see how Super Hero Wars handles the whole "Jark Matter has taken over Earth" with the Ex-Aid characters running around. "Wait, you mean Earth actually got taken over by aliens? We've been so busy fighting Bugsters we haven't kept up with politics!"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Faiz was actually similar in some ways. In most Faiz episodes, there isn't any Rider battling until the last five minutes of the show, which gets wrapped up in the five minutes of the beginning of the next episode, and then terrible drama for the majority of the episode. It had a lot more fighting towards the end, though, but the beginning and most of the middle is pretty much just drama bookended by short fights.

True enough, but at least in Kuuga the non-Rider parts are decent and the main characters aren't all terrible people in some way or another (though to be fair, some characters in Faiz were better than others).

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I really liked what I saw of 555, though I only watched like 10 eps or so (that was my original intro to Kamen Rider). I'm actually looking forward to getting through Agito and Ryuki so I can get back to 555 and finish it. I really liked the unicorn guy plot especially.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Getsuya posted:

I really liked what I saw of 555, though I only watched like 10 eps or so (that was my original intro to Kamen Rider). I'm actually looking forward to getting through Agito and Ryuki so I can get back to 555 and finish it. I really liked the unicorn guy plot especially.

As a fellow 'started with 555' person, let me just say

I apologize for the ending. I am so sorry.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Faiz was my first Rider series as well. I liked it okay enough but yeah, that ending is really bad. Rider series have had a bit of a history with the endings being bad but Faiz stands as one of the worst. Hibiki and Ryuki are really the only competition.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Twelve by Pies posted:

Ex-Aid was really good this week although I am extremely disappointed we didn't get to see Hiiro use the Mighty Action X gashat. I'm curious if the writers just didn't know how it would work and thus just wanted to make sure the situation didn't happen, or if it was a purposeful decision to keep each Rider having their own identity, so there isn't something like Faiz where belts were constantly swapped between the characters. I also enjoyed Brave turning from a generic knight character into a mage, that was great.

He didn't turn into a mage. Genm said it last episode, Taddle Fantasy is a game where the player is the Demon Lord, fighting the hero.

Hiiro showed exactly what happens when you get to play as the Final Boss, but not AI controlled. Beautiful things.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The original Kamen Rider is finally fully subbed.

http://ukiyaseed.weebly.com/ukiyaseeds-other-blog/1971-kamen-rider-series-now-fully-subbed

I've never heard of XIG, are they any good?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dexie posted:

The original Kamen Rider is finally fully subbed.

http://ukiyaseed.weebly.com/ukiyaseeds-other-blog/1971-kamen-rider-series-now-fully-subbed

I've never heard of XIG, are they any good?

They've done a few series. Notably they've done Super 1

From what I've seen they do good work, but I know very little about them

Regardless unless these start espousing the views of Hitler and decrying the Jews, this is excellent news. Having the entire original Kamen Rider series finally subbed is fantastic and I think it's the last of the Showa Riders needed to be subbed besides the back half of Sky Rider

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Also of important note, spoilers for the Kamen Rider Brave spin-off:

I guess I should catch up on Ex-Aid now. :stare:

Burkion posted:

Excellent. This is fantastic news.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

Regardless unless these start espousing the views of Hitler and decrying the Jews, this is excellent news. Having the entire original Kamen Rider series finally subbed is fantastic and I think it's the last of the Showa Riders needed to be subbed besides the back half of Sky Rider

Has anyone made decent subs for Kamen Rider X yet?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Hiiro is apparently such a good surgeon that not only can he 100% cure cancer by himself he can literally force broken bones to regenerate in the span of days.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Has anyone made decent subs for Kamen Rider X yet?

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

There's a torrent at the usual place that collects the good subs X has gotten and then the rest are from the Indonesian set which are

For HK subs, they're not bad. The grammar isn't the best but if you can get past that, they're understandable and accurate. They're not quite as good as the Metalder HK subs, but they're close enough.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well poo poo, I thought they had given up on that plot thread.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Well poo poo, I thought they had given up on that plot thread.

If they drop it again, I'm going to be rather upset.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dexie posted:

If they drop it again, I'm going to be rather upset.

Same. I watched Double and OOOs and Fourze all really close together before Wizard came out and the thread connecting them all, like X doing research on Core Medals near the end of W and such, was just so cool and it was really disappointing when it up and vanished with Wizard.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

There's a torrent at the usual place that collects the good subs X has gotten and then the rest are from the Indonesian set which are

For HK subs, they're not bad. The grammar isn't the best but if you can get past that, they're understandable and accurate. They're not quite as good as the Metalder HK subs, but they're close enough.

Yeah those are what I watched when I first saw X, I was just wondering if anybody else had picked it up since then (I didn't know the Metalder subs were HK subs though as they were actually pretty good, in fact Metalder itself is a good series worth checking out, especially if you ever watched VR Troopers and were dissapointed by the lack of any kind of closure). So yeah, of you count those then every Kamen Rider show except Skyrider has technically been fully subbed now.

Off the subject, Gridman is another good series that I really hope gets subbed one day (hell, it's basically an Ultra show in all but name so why not put it up on Crunchyroll or something), In fact I haven't even been able to find it in Japanese (the version I watched was a Thai dub that was up on Youtube). I kind of like how Naoto's family actually exists and plays a role in the story in this one as opposed to Syber Squad where, when not at school, Sam basically lives in his basement and occasionally we hear his little sister call down from upsairs.

One thing I will give the American version credit for (aside from having more entertaining characters all around) is (what should have been) the ending. Sam goes from being kind of a self-serving douche to a true hero that basically sacrifices his humanity in order to save everyone (seriously, if I interpreted it right he's basically stuck in cyberspace as Servo with no idea how or even if he can ever come back), it's actually pretty dark for a kid's show (just ignore the last 5 minutes where they essentially hit the reset button and undo everything that happened in the two parter leading up to it). In fact, if you ever decide to rewatch the show I'd reccomend watching episodes 38 and 39 last and stopping the latter episode right after he says his last goodbye to Malcom and Jennifer and as soon as you see him back in the basement with his friends, it makes the whole thing work a lot better.

Gridman's ending is a bit happier by comparison (though ironically that show has a bit darker tone overall) where the title character (who unlike Servo is a seperate being that is in constant contact with the kids and is basically a digital cop) saves Naoto from a similar fate and then takes off back where he came from.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 23, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Foundation X has been abandoned for so long, I'm pretty sure the target market doesn't even know they exist.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

It's likely that same target market hasn't seen the special, so it's cool

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Evilspacewhale/status/834604870904774656

Oh my god I forgot about Legacy Rider forms in the Ex-Aid aesthetic.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not so sure about about taddle fantasy. hiiro just kinda waves his hands and then random stuff happens. that kind of vague bullshit is usually reserved for ultimate forms.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
There's a bunch of stuff going on in Taddle Fantasy and most of it is video game references.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Larryb posted:

Yeah those are what I watched when I first saw X, I was just wondering if anybody else had picked it up since then (I didn't know the Metalder subs were HK subs though as they were actually pretty good, in fact Metalder itself is a good series worth checking out, especially if you ever watched VR Troopers and were dissapointed by the lack of any kind of closure). So yeah, of you count those then every Kamen Rider show except Skyrider has technically been fully subbed now.

Off the subject, Gridman is another good series that I really hope gets subbed one day (hell, it's basically an Ultra show in all but name so why not put it up on Crunchyroll or something). I kind of like how Naoto's family actually exists and plays a role in the story in this one as opposed to Syber Squad where, when not at school, Sam basically lives in his basement and occasionally we hear his little sister call down from upsairs.

One thing I will give the American version credit for (aside from having more entertaining characters all around) is (what should have been) the ending. Sam goes from being kind of a self-serving douche to a true hero that basically sacrifices his humanity in order to save everyone (seriously, if I interpreted it right he's basically stuck in cyberspace as Servo with no idea how or even if he can ever come back), it's actually pretty dark for a kid's show (just ignore the last 5 minutes where they essentially hit the reset button and undo everything that happened in the two parter leading up to it). In fact, if you ever decide to rewatch the show I'd reccomend watching episodes 38 and 39 last and stopping the latter episode right after he says his last goodbye to Malcom and Jennifer and as soon as you see him back in the basement with his friends, it makes the whole thing work a lot better.

Gridman's ending is a bit happier by comparison (though ironically that show has a bit darker tone overall) where the title character (who unlike Servo is a seperate being that is in constant contact with the kids and is basically a digital cop) saves Naoto from a similar fate and then takes off back where he came from.

Getting a complete set of the Gridman toys is still one of my White Whales/Holy Grails, along with the black/gold Ultimate Daibouken set(although for the latter it's more about finding one for a not completely retarded price)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Looking at the Kamen Sentai GoRiders.

This. This is art.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Faiz was my first Rider series as well. I liked it okay enough but yeah, that ending is really bad. Rider series have had a bit of a history with the endings being bad but Faiz stands as one of the worst. Hibiki and Ryuki are really the only competition.

I think my favorite "bad ending" is Agito, if only because of the epilogue from the novel.

After everything is said and done, despite life seeming to conspire against him for 40+ episodes, Ryo (Gills) finally escapes his suffering, even adopting a little puppy! Life is great

puppy loving dies like immediately

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TFRazorsaw posted:

This. This is art.

what

the gently caress

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

This. This is art.

Post it so the rest of us can see what you're talking about.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Phimose Knight posted:

I think my favorite "bad ending" is Agito, if only because of the epilogue from the novel.

After everything is said and done, despite life seeming to conspire against him for 40+ episodes, Ryo (Gills) finally escapes his suffering, even adopting a little puppy! Life is great

Yeah that's about as bad as that one Digimon Tamers CD Drama that immediately torpedoes the hope spot left in the final episode

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Phimose Knight posted:

On the one hand, that is hilariously bad. It's just amazingly appropriate for how much life craps on Ryo constantly that I kind of love it.
Agito is my favorite bad Rider series in my opinion. It's got 2/3 amazing protagonists (Hikawa, Ryo), a really bizarre and not in a good way one (Shouichi) and the dumbest villains and plot points imaginable at times. It is excellent riffing fodder with friends.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
And boy howdy does that monster theme get stuck in your head.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Post it so the rest of us can see what you're talking about.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 23, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

What's that from? I haven't been keeping up with toku so I dunno if they're still doing Hero Taisen/All Rider feat. latest Sentai-type movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Motto posted:

What's that from? I haven't been keeping up with toku so I dunno if they're still doing Hero Taisen/All Rider feat. latest Sentai-type movies.

It's from the new Super Hero Taisen movie that's coming out soon and is also a nice little throwback (the original idea for Goranger was a team of 5 Kamen Riders).

• Locked thread