Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
FYAD and D&D are the Deep Site working to bring President GBS down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

The Vosgian Beast posted:

FYAD and D&D are the Deep Site working to bring President GBS down

*YOSPOS voice* I'm in

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I just came by to tell the thread that The Root explained the alt-right as "the Forever 21 of white nationalist groups" which I think might be the most accurate description of them yet.

Also that I've been watching the Milo implosion with barely contained glee since it first broke. The infighting in the Breitbart comments sections right now (because Breitbart isn't covering the issue at all) is amazing. :allears:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...m=.58ee992b3cce

That's that.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/ClarkHat/status/834139394621718528
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/834139792954777600

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Improbable Lobster posted:

*YOSPOS voice* I'm in

*GBS voice* im a unstoppable big retarded pissbaby

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
That was a surprisingly well executed apology. Milo is better at contrition than I expected. I also noted his look is less Party Monster than usual.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

pookel posted:

That was a surprisingly well executed apology. Milo is better at contrition than I expected. I also noted his look is less Party Monster than usual.

The fact that he's bothering to even try to fake sincerity means he's desperate.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

If we take him at his word (yes I know) then he's admitted to being a victim of sexual abuse and is now being reviled for it. I'm not surprised if he seems shook.

I hope he gets the help he needs, somewhere far from the white-national stage

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Hawkins posted:

If we take him at his word (yes I know) then he's admitted to being a victim of sexual abuse and is now being reviled for it. I'm not surprised if he seems shook.

I hope he gets the help he needs, somewhere far from the white-national stage

I hope he wallows in his misery and shoots himself

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Doc Hawkins posted:

If we take him at his word (yes I know) then he's admitted to being a victim of sexual abuse and is now being reviled for it.

Uh, I'm pretty sure he's being reviled for advocating for more people to be made victims of sexual abuse. And his apology was total "sorry you're offended" crap. Any victimhood in his made-up life history exists solely to allow him to swing an axe at his enemies.

I promise you, three years from now he'll be President Mike Pence's go-to example for the fact that homosexuality is and always has been a choice.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Laurie Penny is writing up the Downfall live from the scene, and it's a thing of beauty:

quote:

Yiannopoulos followed the path of least resistance until, suddenly, it resisted. Now he knows just what it is to have the Internet turn on you and take away your control of the narrative. Now the entire alt-right is realizing, in full view of a few million popcorn-munching online leftists, that they were never the new punk. They were never the suave and seductive blackshirts of the new American authoritarianism. They are, at best, the brownshirts, and they are becoming less useful to their benefactors by the day. Where they were once “underground,” they are now are an ankle-biting embarrassment to the movement they made mainstream — and they have no clue what to do next.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Somfin posted:

Uh, I'm pretty sure he's being reviled for advocating for more people to be made victims of sexual abuse. And his apology was total "sorry you're offended" crap. Any victimhood in his made-up life history exists solely to allow him to swing an axe at his enemies.

You and I reviling him for that, I dunno about everyone else. Either way, watch me not defend him at all.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/marrowing/status/834268055131656192

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

My wife got drilled by a terrifying mandingo savage and I all I got was this little cuck cart filled with dinty moore stew, lotion and tissues :( :( :(

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Somfin posted:

I promise you, three years from now he'll be President Mike Pence's go-to example for the fact that homosexuality is and always has been a choice.

Milo is happy to do and say whatever will give him the most attention at any given time. He is a human trash fire and is unable to recognize that his words have any consequences. gently caress him.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Milo and Lena Dunham should get married :allears:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

divabot posted:

Laurie Penny is writing up the Downfall live from the scene, and it's a thing of beauty:

This is an amazing read.

quote:

Before this week, Yiannopoulos was a bratty, vicious court jester of the new right who made a name for himself by saying grotesque and shocking things that he may or may not have ever believed. He does this compulsively, with no respect for the repercussions, or for the fact that a lot of people do believe what he says and act accordingly. I have never in my life seen someone so obviously and emphatically asking for a smack in the mouth, and the only reason he doesn’t deserve it is that he wants it too much.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

divabot posted:

I can't help but wonder if this is all speaking too soon. Milo is shameless and can and will do anything to get back into the limelight. And the public have forgiven bigger villains before.

I'm not a great fan of Penny's journalism (too purple) but she does make a very good point: Milo's comments are arguably rooted in the real experience of many gay men and so it's weirdly one of the less offensive things he's ever said.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

outlier posted:

I can't help but wonder if this is all speaking too soon. Milo is shameless and can and will do anything to get back into the limelight. And the public have forgiven bigger villains before.

Milo isn't some beloved celebrity. He's a minor figure most well known for harassing Leslie Jones on twitter. The people who are in a position to forgive him are people who either think the whole thing is part of a conspiracy or people who hate fags already.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

outlier posted:

I'm not a great fan of Penny's journalism (too purple) but she does make a very good point: Milo's comments are arguably rooted in the real experience of many gay men and so it's weirdly one of the less offensive things he's ever said.
This is true, but so is that thing Phil Sandifer said about a whole lot of people just waiting for the right moment to bring out the knives. Milo's been pissing people off habitually for years, and reportedly the Breitbart "resignation" came after a bunch of staffers threatened to quit unless he was fired. I wouldn't be surprised if that had nothing to do with a principled stand against pedophilia, and everything to do with looking for any excuse to kick the little bastard to the curb. An opportunity presented itself, and a whole lot of people who hated him pounced on it.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Neon Noodle posted:

Milo and Lena Dunham should get married :allears:

an Even-Shittier Universe reprise of Neil Gaiman + Amanda Palmer.

VVV it was a juvenile pun, sorry. I didn't mean to enrage everyone. I get all my knowledge from the great minds on youtube, such as the guy with the animal head or the talking trash can. I guess I just can't get calm & reasonable dialogue here, so this will be my last post for a few minutes.

Sax Solo has a new favorite as of 06:15 on Feb 23, 2017

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sax Solo posted:

an Even-Shittier Universe reprise of Neil Gaiman + Amanda Palmer.

Okay, what's wrong with Neil Gaiman now.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I believe he committed the unforgivable crime of being overrated.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
People have spread their hatred of Amanda Palmer to Neil Gaiman

Which is the opposite of how it usually works with famous couples

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Vosgian Beast posted:

People have spread their hatred of Amanda Palmer to Neil Gaiman

Which is the opposite of how it usually works with famous couples

Progress.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

"Purging Milo for “pedo” concedes the left position that consent is all that matters, that anything is fine if it is consenting adults that do it."

Goons, the fabulous "Jim" demonstrating once again that consent is to conservatives as kryptonite is to Clark Kent.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Relevant Tangent posted:

"Purging Milo for “pedo” concedes the left position that consent is all that matters, that anything is fine if it is consenting adults that do it."

Goons, the fabulous "Jim" demonstrating once again that consent is to conservatives as kryptonite is to Clark Kent.

Yes I would consider that to be an accurate statement of my position, thank you Jim.

So weird when they deploy gotchas that are actually just straight summaries of widely-held progressive beliefs.

Anyway Trump recently rolled back protections for transgender students in a move that was predictable to every living human being except one
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/762351828394737665
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/796389373142929408

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Hey man, he said gay issues.

Has Trump done anything yet to gently caress over, specifically, wealthy white cis nonmuslim gay men? Genuine question.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Peel posted:

Has Trump done anything yet to gently caress over, specifically, wealthy white cis nonmuslim gay men? Genuine question.

Promised to roll back gay marriage

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Less Wrong: We believe in radically updating our beliefs based on new evidence

Also Less Wrong: But in this 1991 interview, Trump says he doesn't hate gays and Mexicans, just the way they act sometimes, therefore

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

Promised to roll back gay marriage

Yeah but everyone knows you can't take him literally / seriously / whatever that mealy-mouthed bullshit peter thiel said

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/slavojzyzzek/status/834552801158164480

Context: Wesley can't find job because he wasted his life on his blogging career. Apparently his blogging career is evidence enough that he's smart and deserves free money for nothing.

E: Rationalist tumblr - pewds is not a nazi edgelord because he made a clickbait video in which he shoots hitler in that sniper game. also he reblogged some claims that aren't probably true but this rational man likes because they're.racist.

Fututor Magnus has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Feb 23, 2017

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
no one is going to make up a job for you Wesley. you're not important enough. you'll starve in the dark with the rest of us.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Slartibartfastibast is a clock truther. That's all you need to know.

Oh, his Patreon is going great guns.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

divabot posted:

Slartibartfastibast is a clock truther. That's all you need to know.

Oh, his Patreon is going great guns.

Guess I can't call esr's patreon the most pathetic anymore

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Is a 'clock truther' someone who thinks that kid was actually making a bomb or what?

Also: is there some kind of story behind Nick Land being banned from twitter?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Of COURSE he's a Jordan Peterson fan

Of COURSE

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Peel posted:

Tried to do an EO about pro-discrimination laws, got called out on it so rumor is they're rewriting it to specifically gently caress over transpeople instead because gays love throwing transpeople under the bus to "compromise"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Peel posted:

Is a 'clock truther' someone who thinks that kid was actually making a bomb or what?

I was hoping it was about TimeCube but no it's just no-fun racism :sigh: